PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian recipes

ChrisH
08-06-2008, 06:32 AM
I know there are a number of vegetarians on the board, care to share some (simple) recipes?

moosmom
08-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Pasta with all sorts of veggies in it, mix with a little olive oil and fresh shredded cheese. I usually make a big pot and it makes enough for a week. LOVE IT!!!!

ChrisH
08-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Sounds good, thanks Donna! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/thumb.gif

Pembroke_Corgi
08-06-2008, 11:04 AM
There are plenty of delicious, easy recipes out there! You might want to google a few too. My husband and I are both vegetarians, so here are a few recipes we like.

Tofu stir fry

Tofu can actually be time consuming to prepare if you don't like it crumbly (I don't, unless it's for an egg dish). For that reason, I'd recommend pre-prepared tofu that's been marinated and already has the water removed. Chop this up and fry lightly in oil until it's browned on both sides. In another pan, fry or steam a bag of frozen veggies (fresh tastes better, but frozen is faster). Add together and serve with rice, and I like soy sauce on mine too!

Veggie Pasta

Like Moosmom said, you can chop up a bunch of veggies, steam them, and add them to fresh pasta, and add marinara sauce or cheese (or my favorite, pesto sauce).

Hummus

Hummus is pretty easy to make with precooked garbonzo beans, but I usually just buy it. :o I think the best kind is just the garlic. This is great for dipping bread into, or making a sandwich with, or with falafel!!

Spinach Lasagna

Instead of meat sauce, use a marinara and add fresh (or frozen) spinach. Layer noodles, sauce, and cheese.

Veggie burgers and dogs

These can be made from scratch, but usually we always have some premade. I'm not sure what kinds of options they have over there, but I'm pretty sure they have Quorn products as I think they are from the UK. You should try some as they are so easy to make and very tasty.

Happy cooking! :)

ChrisH
08-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the ideas, appreciated.

Rachel
08-09-2008, 08:01 AM
We sometimes make a vegetarian chili. It's a dry packaged product made with soy to which one adds to boiling water and then a can of chopped (or stewed) tomatoes and a can of dark red kidney beans. Maybe your store sells something similar. It is quite good and fits your (and my) requirement of being simple.

We do the veggie pasta thing too. Generally we sautee green and red peppers, onions, and then add a can of tomato sauce and a can of chopped tomatoes. Thats what we pour over the cooked pasta - penne is a nice change. A little zuchinni and sauteed mushrooms are good too, but my husband would be picking them out.

Don't overlook the ordinary steamed veggies. I often make what I call *Plate O Veggies* which is simply steamed carrots, broccoli, potatoes. Add a little tad of butter and seasoning and enjoy with wheat roll.

ChrisH
08-10-2008, 05:30 AM
Thank you Rachel. I may just have that 'plate of veggies today', but rather than steaming I'll use my pressure cooker, near enough as good I think. :)