PDA

View Full Version : Please help save these cats....

NoahsMommy
09-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Here is a copy of a thread that was in Cat Rescue...I wanted to post the links to get them more more exposure...I hope you all don't mind.

Basically Akron, OH and the LA/San Pedro area of California are attempting to euthanize ALL cats found running loose.

Bari_d

------------------------------------------

Here is the San Pedro Petition

http://www.petitiononline.com/spfcc2/petition.html

Feral Cat Caretakers' Coalition
In a message dated 8/21/2002 8:24:38 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[email protected] writes:

An update for everyone

Lauren and just returned from a very intense and urgent meeting with key persons who will be involved in saving the lives of the cats at White Point in San Pedro, California.The cats will be trapped by a private exterminating company (not Dept. of Animal Services). ?Refer to www.peninsulapetrescue.com
for updates.

Los Angeles County Department of Beaches and Harbors has hired them to remove and exterminate the cats. ?Mary Kaleta, the person who has been responsibly caring for some 60 cats was notified of this on Monday 8-19-02. ?Mary and the
ladies who have been with her for several years feeding the feral cats at White Point, went to an attorney this a.m. and paid $2,000.00 to see if an injunction could be obtained to give us some time. ?It is Wednesday evening and they are to begin trapping and exterminating on Monday. ?As far as we
know, there are no guidelines on how they exterminate the cats as they are not under city jurisdiction, such as Department of Animal Services, where they would be taken to a shelter.

In addition to maintaining and managing her feral cat colony, Mary has spent a considerable amount of time and money to build little insulated shelters to blend in with the environment into the large boulders on the beach. ?It took several months of measuring, etc., to provide a safe and warm place for the
cats to stay. ?This was authorized and given the go ahead by Dan Knapp.
?The lifeguard, Kenny Atkins, who has just recently come to this beach, pulled out and destroyed all of the shelters she had worked so hard to put in place. He is also the person who has instigated this entire pogrom. ?We are not clear as to what his motives are.

It was heartbreaking to see the cats hiding in the boulders without proper shelter with winter coming. ?Under the best circumstances, their lives are meager and they look forward to their food and shelter and the loving care of the caretaker to go there every morning, rain or shine, to put out their food. ?The beach is mainly rocks and tide pools, not much of a sandy area.
?
You would hardly know they were there and have been for 20 years in comparative peace - until now.
If you would like to comment on the petition, you can contact
the author of the petition by email, at:

Mary Kaleta, [email protected]

wolflady
09-05-2002, 12:10 PM
I signed the petition and stated my mind about it too! I noticed that my name was right above yours and David's, Kelly!! :D

I think it's rediculous that people waste time and resources (it takes money to kill those poor cats) on a temporary solution like that. Why not use resources to educate people, support shelters and TNR and spay/neuter programs....ya know??!! It's definitely more effective to maintain colonies with TNR and through educating the public.....

NoahsMommy
09-05-2002, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by wolflady
I signed the petition and stated my mind about it too! I noticed that my name was right above yours and David's, Kelly!! :D

I think it's rediculous that people waste time and resources (it takes money to kill those poor cats) on a temporary solution like that. Why not use resources to educate people, support shelters and TNR and spay/neuter programs....ya know??!! It's definitely more effective to maintain colonies with TNR and through educating the public.....

I couldn't agree more!! We tend to do this stiff though...get the rid of the problem the fastest we can....so sad! :(

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-05-2002, 01:28 PM
I signed the petition as well.

Ann
09-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Oh, that's is so terrible... What are those people thinking?! So what's next on their agenda; killing all the homeless people? I mean, a life is a life! Doesn't matter if the life has two or four legs or what... It's not right to do something like that.

I signed the petition obviously, and I'll be sure to tell several people about this, and write in to some online animal sites like PETA or something and hope they can mention it. That's needed cause the petition only had 723 signatures so far.