PDA

View Full Version : Stars' over-the-top backstage demands

Catty1
08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/personal-finance/article/forbes/784/stars-over-the-top-backstage-demands

Stars' over-the-top backstage demands
by Kai Falkenberg, Forbes.com
Thursday, July 31, 2008
provided byforbes

On a recent tour, Mariah Carey's list of backstage must-haves included the usual throat lozenges and mineral water. But the 39-year-old singer also required "a bottle of Cristal champagne, chilled, a box of 'bendy' straws and four champagne glasses." Not to mention "tea service for 8."

Jennifer Lopez goes a step further. Her backstage requirements have included "a white room, white flowers, white tables and/or tablecloths, white drapes, white candles, white couches."

But while divas like Lopez and Carey are known for the unusual demands they make when they're on the road, they're hardly the only celebrities with laundry lists of bizarre requests.

Even Vice President Dick Cheney has a certain request for his "downtime suite" wherever he goes. Stumped? He asks that all TV sets be "tuned to Fox News."

The phenomenon apparently first caught on in the 1980s, when Van Halen began insisting on bowls of M&M's backstage at concerts—with the brown ones removed.

When asked about it, the group's lead singer, David Lee Roth, said the request was nothing more than a quick way to gauge whether their hosts were being diligent about adhering to a contract that also contained many equipment-related requirements. (Musicians typically have a new contract rider for each tour.) The M&M's are no longer on Van Halen's list of requests.

While some stars are concerned with security—Barbra Streisand has stipulated in her rider that "there will need to be a thorough inspection of [the] concert facility by police K9 prior to sound check"—others require provisions ensuring a star stays healthy.

Christina Aguilera has asked for "One (1) Small Bottle of 'Flintstones' Vitamins with Extra Vitamin C." Only fresh fruit will suit Shania Twain; her demands have included "six lemons, three papayas, three mangoes and 18 apples."

Other stars are less concerned with being well. The only way they prefer to stock a backstage area is with cold drinks and smokes. Coldplay retreats to a backstage stocked with "48 cold, strong continental lagers … NOT U.S. beers" while 50 Cent demands "1 Box of Cuban Cigars (Montecristo)."

The kids at heart include John Mayer and Kanye West. Mayer makes sure there is "One box of a 'Kids Brand Cereal' … From the following brands: Captain [sic] Crunch, Lucky Charms, Count Chocula, Cookie Crisp, Cinamin [sic] Toast Crunch" while West wants checkers game Connect Four at the ready.

Perhaps singer Diana Krall is the only performer whose demands ensure post-gig relaxation: She asks for a yoga room.

Go to Forbes.com to view the slideshow (http://www.forbes.com/2008/07/24/backstage-stars-demands-forbeslife-cx_kf_0724stars_slide_2.html?partner=yahoo_i1)

In Pictures: Stars' Over-The-Top Backstage Demands

sparks19
08-05-2008, 10:59 PM
man. I really don't like to talk about my singing voice as I feel like I am bragging....

My many have asked me why I don't pursue singing....

the answer is simple. While it is unlikely I will become a BIG STAR I don't want to risk who I am. I don't want money to corrupt me. I DON'T want to become one of those people who treats the "little guys" like they are only there to serve me when I have BEEN the little guy.

Honestly it makes me sick to hear of these things. SURELY these people have been "no bodies" and have been in hotels that have been less than steller.

WHY can't they be happy with REGULAR good service? Why do they need roses in their toilets or specific M&M's or whatever else. don't they remember being the "little people"?

I honestly would NEVER want to become the person that overlooks the people that make things happen. I am happy with myself the way I am. while extra money would be nice to have... I'm not sure it is worth my humanity and my compassion.

pitc9
08-06-2008, 10:34 AM
Ugh.... :rolleyes:

DJFyrewolf36
08-06-2008, 11:34 AM
Sheesh :rolleyes:

When I DJ all I ask for is a few cold drinks and a nice place to sit and be out of the crowd for a while and perhaps something to eat if I have to travel a long way.

Maybe I should start asking for more lavish things lol :D

Catlady711
08-06-2008, 07:25 PM
Think about this.

We have elevated sports figures, performers, actors and the like to near 'god' (small g) like status. We pay big bucks to see them in person, shell out more money to read about them and dig into their private lives in magazines, and pay more money for posters and the like to imortalize them on our walls. In short we have made them idols.

In return for dealing with the ever growing idolization of them, they have to sacrifice any and all semblance of a normal/private life. Think about if you couldn't even go for a walk, to the grocery store or fast food joint without being mobbed by people with cameras, reporters wanting to know every detail about why you are there, several dozen fans wanting autographs, as well as a couple wakkos who threaten you because they didn't like your song/character on tv. In addition any and all mistakes you make are splashed in headlines on tv and newsstands worldwide, and if that wasn't bad enough some unscrupulous reporters will use photoshop and a vivid imagination to make up things about you just to make a buck from the poor sap who has nothing better to do than idolize another human being by buying every magazine/book/movie about the person.

I don't know about you, but given all that, I think I'd be a bit cranky and demand a few special treatments myself. JMHO