PDA

View Full Version : Edwina and the Cicada

Edwina's Secretary
09-05-2002, 11:02 AM
This year the cicadas (stout-bodied insects related to the aphids and having wide blunt heads and large transparent wings) have been so plentiful. Around dusk when they are "singing" for a mate it can be difficult to carry on a conversation in our yard.

Edwina and I are fascinated by these insects -- they come up out of the ground where they hatched...shed a hard shell on things and then their flat, almost invisible wings fill out and they can fly! In a matter of minutes they are almost twice the size of the shell they left.

I'm not sure how much the metamorphosis fascinates Edwina as the noise they make! A cicada was between her front paws. Gently she put a paw on the cicada. Clack,clack,clack -- like a wind-up metal toy. She took her paw off. The noise stopped. Paw back on -- clack, clack, clack. She kept this up for a few minutes with a look of such concentration on her face. The cicada had the chance to leave but didn't. Finally the cicada walked along Edwina's leash which was lying in th grass next to her and launched into flight. Edwina watched its path into the trees.

And that Phred...is what we did on Labor Day!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-05-2002, 11:24 AM
LOL! Every cat I've ever had has loved those little critters too. (we call them locusts here). I think the noise attracts them, then they can't believe their eyes what they are seeing. I've seen cats eat them. EEEWWW. Our Edwina is quite the nature lover, isn't she? Maybe her career lies in that direction. :D

Logan
09-05-2002, 11:30 AM
My backyard is like being on a camping trip in the mountains too, Edwina!!! I have no idea what Butter and Mimi are doing out there when I can't see them, but I surely have seen them chasing their fair share of moths and other bugs, so why not Cicadas. LOL!!! You just keep on being curious, sweetie. You make us smile with every post!! :D

gini
09-05-2002, 12:09 PM
Oh, how I would have loved to have a video of that...........

yumyum6970
09-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Thanks for clearing that up momo...I was thinking the samething but wasn't sure. In our front yard is the woods and my kitties love to play in them. At night they can see the lighteningbugs.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by gini
Oh, how I would have loved to have a video of that...........

:D :D That is too funny how she would step on it, then take her foot off, then step on it, then take her foot off. She is such an inquisitive kitty. :D And what an great way to spend Labor Day - lounging in the backyard being entertained by Ms. Edwina! :)

NoahsMommy
09-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by momoffuzzyfaces
LOL! Our Edwina is quite the nature lover, isn't she? Maybe her career lies in that direction. :D

I thought that as well. They'd be history if Noah, Noel or Basil got a hold of them.

Last night they spent hours trying to get a misquito on the other side of the sliding glass door!! You should have heard the noises they made! GOOD kitties!

wayne0214
09-05-2002, 06:18 PM
many of my furkids will chase mosquitos and flies, especially in the near-dark. It is good that they can see them, because I have trouble seeing them in daylight without my glasses on. (just getting older).:D

.............wayne

Edwina's Secretary
09-09-2002, 08:58 AM
New career idea -- game show contestant. She could really "press the buzzer"!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
09-09-2002, 10:11 AM
:D :D LOL

Great idea. Wonder what Pat Sajack would say if she pushed it at the wrong time. :rolleyes: :D :D