PDA

View Full Version : Normal or crazy kitten?

JustineNYC
08-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Some of you have seen the pics of Moglie I posted yesterday....Today I need a little advice on him.

I found him in June in my backyard, stranded and my neighbors and I came to the conclusion the dead cat around the corner was his mom, and he probably hadnt eaten in a few days. He was 4 weeks when I took him in.

I used to feed him from a spoon

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g156/HomeDepotGurl/IMG_0451.jpg

Hes 10 weeks now, and if I tried to do that today, Id lose a finger!

He is super food agressive and just food crazy in general. Last week he made me bleed when I put him down with his bowl, my hand was still on his bowl and he didnt like that and wham, he cut me.

Last night while I was making him up some food, he ran up my back!! I have holes from my from ankles all the way to my head. He comes out of nowhere and dives inside my fridge every time I open it. I cant keep any kind of meats on the bottom shelf, cause he tore into some chop meat and when I tried to stop him, he was flipping out.

What do I do? While this may be cute now, in a few months it wont be. This concerned me so much I brought him to the vet and explained what was going on, I paid 180$ for a full bloodwork up, and it was completely normal. The vet told me outside kittens sometimes eat every meal like its their last, and he didnt know if this would be an always thing.

I mean....he is dangerous around food. He gets locked up when I eat or cook cause he almost flew into my frying pan while I was making chicken. All the ferals Ive house broken, Ive never seen this before.

When food isnt involved, he is from what I can tell, a normal kitten, he runs arounds, climbs things, and runs sideways at anything bigger then him.

My only complaint is he doesnt like to be pet kissed or held. The moment I pick him up he whines like Put me down I wanna run and play!

This is the first cat Ive ever owned that I cannot get to purr. Ive tried everything. My cats become affectionate when they want food, this guy becomes crazy.

The only time he purrs is when I go to bed, he crawls in next to me and kneeds and sucks on the blanket, but the moment I touch him, he stops lol! I dont think he likes me at all.

Im all ears on advice on either subject. Does an aloof cat become affectionate with age, and did his mom getting killed and not feeding him make him food crazy? What do I do?

kitten645
08-05-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm so sorry he's hurting you. I have no advice only to say that it's pretty soon. He's still a baby and probably still a bit traumatized by his life so far. I think time may heal a few of those issues. He may never be a cuddler but then again maybe when he's more sure that you are his furrever mom and will always have food he'll settle down. Chalk some of it up to kittencraze! Good luck!
Claudia

momtomany
08-05-2008, 03:42 PM
Give the baby some time and he will probably come around.

aki
08-05-2008, 04:14 PM
sig is kinda like that. he was all lovable when he was little (we got him at about 6 weeks), but has always been a biter/scratcher. he rarely purrs. and usually if you've pet him long enough to get him to purr, watch out! i scars all over from him attacking my arms and hands, just trying to fend him off. he's getting better, and i know now that when he wants to be left alone, you'd better and quick. he will never come to you unless your foot is out and he'll rub his face on it and pet himself on your toes, but make a move to pet him with your hands, and he runs.

hard to get used to, since my chuck (rb) would purposely sit in my lap and purr, even if i hadn't touched him yet. loved attention and even slept with me. i called him my teddycat. :D

i have faith that sig will get more affectionate. that maybe being a barn cat to start he's got a little of the wild side left in there.

hang in there, i feel your pain sister :cool:

moosmom
08-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Try giving him some turkey baby food in a spoon. They love it and it calms them down. He's a baby and doesn't know any better. He's probably afraid of when he'll get another meal. It's very common in stray and feral cats.

catmandu
08-05-2008, 06:26 PM
WE HOPE YOU GIVE HIM A BIT MORE TIME, MAYBE IF YOU LEAVE A BIG CAN OF FOOD FOR THAT HUNGREE ONE ALONE, THEN HE WILL REALIZE THAT THERES LOTS OF FOOD, AND WILL CALM DOWN.
SCRAPPY 2 WAS CRAZY ABOUT FOOD AT FIRST EVEN TO THE POINT OF GOING AFTER FOOD THAT WAS IN THE PAN STILL COOKING.
WE PRAY THAT YOU CAN CURE THIS FOOD-A-HOLIC!!!:cool::love:

momcat
08-05-2008, 06:56 PM
I'm certainly no expert on cat behavior but I wonder if you're feeding him on a set schedule. If so, his agression could be because the little guy is extremely hungry. Maybe if you leave some dry food out that he can nibble on during the day he may become more secure in knowing he'll always have something to eat and won't be such a chowzilla at feeding time.

PT friends, many of you know much more about kitten behavior than I ever will. If this is a bad idea, please chime in?

catfancier
08-05-2008, 09:01 PM
I think it's important to have kitten biscuits out all the time for young cats. I always top up the kitten food bowl as Nauty is still so young and is used to basically feeding ad-lib. As he gets older (probably at least 6 months +), I'll reduce the amount of food and try to give him a more structured routine as Tiger has (2 feeds per day). He is just still settling into this new life and our routine. Good luck with your kitty, I hope our advice helps to calm him.

This may sound a little controversial however I have found it beneficial when being attacked by cats - if he's on your arm, push back against him rather than trying to pull away. Once they realise that you are stronger then them and begin to feel confused because you are fighting against them, they are more likely to release their grip so that you can pull away without tearing your skin and causing further damage. I know how much a cat attack can hurt, but if you can just hold the cat for those few seconds until they get confused, it is better for you in the long run. Kitty might think they've won if you pull away from them.

kt_luvs_kitties
08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
My Penny was the same way. She was also found behind a pizza place at about 4-5 weeks old, and was starving. She had coccidia on top of it. She was also VERY aggressive when the other kitties tried to share her bowl.

What I did was feed her, with the rest, in her own bowl. I sat beside her and petted her on the back, talking softly to her. This went on for MONTHS, every night.

And about 6 months later, not only could I take her food away, I could touch it, and so could the other cats. They could even take it away.. She now waits her turn.

Once they learn that they will get fed again soon, they stop thinking it is as important. She could care less about food now.

It is VERY common for kittens to be food aggressive. Don't worry, just work with him.

Most kitties are food obsessive. They grow out of it.

Please be sure to leave dry food out for him always, that will make him feel less protective.

GOOD LUCK! Kt and kitties

JustineNYC
08-05-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm certainly no expert on cat behavior but I wonder if you're feeding him on a set schedule. If so, his agression could be because the little guy is extremely hungry. Maybe if you leave some dry food out that he can nibble on during the day he may become more secure in knowing he'll always have something to eat and won't be such a chowzilla at feeding time.

PT friends, many of you know much more about kitten behavior than I ever will. If this is a bad idea, please chime in?

He gets canned in the morning, and evening and I leave dry food out for him all day, if he still carries on Ill give him some can food in the afternoon, but usually by the afternoon he is conked out. Heres the thing, he isnt really aggressive with the dry food.

By 11am, he may go over and chomp on it a little. But the food he is nuts with is canned and people food, like the chop meat he went after in my fridge, or the chicken I cook. Isnt that weird?

When he hears a can of cat food open, hell claw up my back. When he hears me put dry food in a bowl, he can take it or leave it.

JustineNYC
08-05-2008, 10:41 PM
My Penny was the same way. She was also found behind a pizza place at about 4-5 weeks old, and was starving. She had coccidia on top of it. She was also VERY aggressive when the other kitties tried to share her bowl.

What I did was feed her, with the rest, in her own bowl. I sat beside her and petted her on the back, talking softly to her. This went on for MONTHS, every night.

And about 6 months later, not only could I take her food away, I could touch it, and so could the other cats. They could even take it away.. She now waits her turn.

Once they learn that they will get fed again soon, they stop thinking it is as important. She could care less about food now.

It is VERY common for kittens to be food aggressive. Don't worry, just work with him.

Most kitties are food obsessive. They grow out of it.

Please be sure to leave dry food out for him always, that will make him feel less protective.

GOOD LUCK! Kt and kitties

Thanks, I wasnt sure if I should do that....Im going to try it!

kt_luvs_kitties
08-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Ok. Then make it a privilege to get canned food. Put him in a carrier, and make him watch you get it ready, and once he calms down, then allow him out to eat it;)

JustineNYC
08-05-2008, 11:50 PM
WE HOPE YOU GIVE HIM A BIT MORE TIME, MAYBE IF YOU LEAVE A BIG CAN OF FOOD FOR THAT HUNGREE ONE ALONE, THEN HE WILL REALIZE THAT THERES LOTS OF FOOD, AND WILL CALM DOWN.
SCRAPPY 2 WAS CRAZY ABOUT FOOD AT FIRST EVEN TO THE POINT OF GOING AFTER FOOD THAT WAS IN THE PAN STILL COOKING.
WE PRAY THAT YOU CAN CURE THIS FOOD-A-HOLIC!!!:cool::love:

Dont worry, this is his home. He is otherwise well mannered, and isnt phased at all by my Labs. I just want to make sure I handle this the best way possible and not do anything to make it worse.

I just hope he learns things like, its not ok to fly into a hot frying pan. Ive never had to teach it before.

He did better tonight while eating, he didnt attack me, he just fluffed up and ate real fast.