PDA

View Full Version : Is there any truth to this?

dreamparkingspace
08-05-2008, 10:54 AM
At a recent dog class, this guy had an Australian Cattle Dog that seemed pretty friendly, however, occasionally another dog in the class would lunge at it and then the Cattle Dog would lunge back. Nobody ever got hurt or anything like that. But, the guy who owned the Cattle Dog said something to the trainer like, "Don't worry. A lot of dogs hate my dog just 'cause he's an Australian Cattle Dog." Then the trainer said something like, "Oh yea. I've heard of that. The same applies to Huskies sometimes." She explained how for some reason Australian Cattle Dogs and Siberian Huskies have an appearance that other dogs sometimes just plain don't like, even if the dogs are friendly. And she also said something which I found even more interesting. She said that when you get a Border Collie and a Doberman Pinscher near each other, they almost always get into a fight. She said something like almost every Doberman absolutely hates the Border Collie stare, er something like that, and that in show rings Border Collies and Dobermans are always kept as far apart as possible. Is there truth to any of this stuff? It sounded odd to me, but they sounded convincing.

luvofallhorses
08-05-2008, 03:53 PM
It probably happens with the same gender dog, not neccessarily the breed IMO. :) Opposite genders are definately workable but I have 3 males and 2 females and they all have their moments but get along. :) None of those breeds though.

Karen
08-05-2008, 04:11 PM
There's no truth to that - dogs generally don't seem to care what breed other dogs are ... they aren't nearly as discriminatory as people. Some dogs feel like they have to herd to challenge any other dog based on size, or based on gender - same genders are more likely to squabble than opposite genders.

Jessika
08-05-2008, 04:36 PM
Dogs don't stereotype breeds; they may have different reactions to different looking dogs, however. I know that my Charlie has been approached by a large, solid black great dane before and he freaked out, but he's ok around other smaller, black, or larger dogs, just not big black dogs (when I say big, I mean HUGE black dogs). He was just never around them and it spooked him to have this giant black dog bound up to him.

dreamparkingspace
08-05-2008, 04:58 PM
I know I've also read that some breeds naturally select to spend time with their own breed usually. Like, for example, if their was a breeding farm that bred German Shepherds and Rottweilers, more often than not the German Shepherds would socialize primarily with the German Shepherds and the Rottweilers would socialize primarily with the Rottweilers. I think I've read or heard something like that a few times. Maybe that's a dumb example though. I don't know...maybe there isn't much truth to that either. I just found all of this pretty interesting, if it's true.

"Hey! tell you're Border Collie to quit starin' at my Doberman. It's rude, and it's pissin' him off!" J/K

leansnslobbers
08-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I think that has to do with the whole pricked ears misconception - meaning a dog with pricked ears is more likely to appear like an aggressor which sets the other dog off on a defensive tangent.

I've heard that many times over the years...of course I've also heard that my great danes would turn on me and kill me too. :rolleyes:

lute
08-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I've heard dogs being aggressive toward a dog of the same sex. My Gracie can be aggressive toward other female dogs. I've never heard of breed specific aggression before.

Seravieve
08-05-2008, 08:09 PM
We have a cattle dog mix but we dont tend to take him out in public much. He can be aggressive and he's also a big barker. J did take him through obedience class through petsmart and I dont think anything happened there. Sounds like a rather silly generalization. All dogs have such different backgrounds and upbringings and experiences, I just dont think it'd be possible to give a blanket statement like that.

But about the breeds sticking to their own kind... I will vouch for that. When we take Eli up to the dog park, there's always multiple boxers and they always tend to stay together and play with their own kind. Labs seem to do it too there. I think it has some to do with theyre energy levels. The boxers are all younger and tend to run all over like crazies so it'd make sense for them to be drawn towards each other. =)

Giselle
08-05-2008, 11:02 PM
IMO, what you heard is true to a certain extent.

Border Collies are often misunderstood because they have not-exactly-natural behaviors. For example, their stalking movement and hard eyes can confuse and set off other dogs. From what I've read and heard from other BC owners, attacks from other dogs due to body miscommunication are not uncommon.

However, you will notice that it is BODY miscommunication, not a simple matter of prick and drop ears. Dogs communicate with their entire body. A dog will not focus in on a Doberman's cropped ears and perceive it to be a threat. A dog will look at where the weight is being held, the base of the tail, the tenseness of the muscles, the facial muscles, the hardness of the eyes, etc. It's not a matter of pick/drop ears or tail/no tail. It's much more intricate than that.

And dogs certainly can and do pick and choose their own breed out from a pack. I guarantee you: If you take two retired racing greyhounds and stick them on opposite sides of a dog park, wait 5 minutes, and those two greys will become inseparable. I absolutely guarantee it. Greys "know" other greys. Could it be due to their upbringing at racing farms? Possibly. But they definitely recognize their own breed.

Denyce
08-06-2008, 07:35 AM
What Giselle said is correct. I am sorry but the rest of you are wrong in that dogs do not discriminate between breeds. They most certainly do. Not every dog will care but they can tell the differences.

Sequoia will only respond in a friendly manner to other huskies or malamutes. She will either ignore or be aggressive to other breeds. One husky breeder said to me she sees this often. That if a dog doesn't "speak siberian" then some huskies won't like it. This is a hard and fast rule for every dog in every situation but it is commen enough.

Also prick ear breeds with erect tails can be disliked or misinterpreted by other dogs. They see the husky ears being up, the direct stare and the tail over the back as being an aggressive stance and will react accordingly. If you have ever watched huskies look at other dogs most do so in a very different manner than a border collie or a yorkie or any other breed. Especially with a very dominant husky.

I don't know about Australian Cattle Dogs. They also strike me as a assertive breed. I know Sequoia will ALWAYS react in a dominant/aggressive manner to labs, goldens, greyhounds, and any of the bulldog/pitbull/boxer breeds.

4 Dog Mother
08-06-2008, 08:33 AM
I would have to say that some dogs do have strong feelings to other breeds - and there are some people (like Staci) who can back me on this. My Dazzi is a golden retriever/spaniel mix. She does not like German Short Haired pointers at all. She will go after them if they come into the dog park. (Althouogh we have not been going nearly as much and now that she is living with 8 other dogs seems to be mellowing out some). When we first started taking her to the dog park she would go after Golden Retrievers - and yes she did go after Keegan and scratched her nose up pretty good. After that though she would "Protect" Keegan from other dogs. Certain Cocker Spaniels also set her off.

She has seen a lot of Australian Cattle dogs though and I don't remember any of those being a problem for her.

When we were taking her almost every day to the dog park we would leash her when a golden retriever came in and put her in the time out pen when a German short-haired pointer came in. She has always been very protective of her "pack" - meaning our dogs, Amy's dogs and Keegan. Now I think maybe there are just too many or she decided they needed to look out for themselves because she is too busy doing other things.