PDA

View Full Version : Update on Powder, the 44-pound cat

Don Juan's mom
08-04-2008, 02:30 PM
(Or for our metric friends, 20 kilos)

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20080804_Prince_Chunk_has_a_new__and_undisclosed__ home_and_a_vet_appointment.html

Powder is in an undisclosed foster home, and - just as the weight-loss commercials suggest - he will see the doctor before embarking on a diet-and-exercise regimen. :)

Story also says someone offered $25,000 for him. Can you imagine? :rolleyes:

Liz

catmandu
08-04-2008, 03:58 PM
LETS PRAY THAT THEY CAN GET THAT EXTRA WEIGHT OFF OF THAT POOR CAT, BEFORE HE SUFFERS FROM THE DIABETES AND ARTHRITIS THAT USUALLY COMES WITH THAT EXCESSIVE POUNDAGE:(:o
HE LOOKS LIKE SUCH A GREAT CAT TOO.:love::love::love:

Taz_Zoee
08-04-2008, 04:01 PM
I'm glad they didn't go with the person offering $25,000. That sounds too fishy to me.
Well, it's great that they are going to find him a new private home. :)

Did they ever mention how old he is? Just curious.

Jessika
08-04-2008, 05:04 PM
What's sad to me (and obviously probably unrelated to this story) is how some people think that obese animals are just "so cute" and PROMOTE overfeeding and obesity! It's a very real problem and saddens me that so many people promote this :(

Catty1
08-04-2008, 05:10 PM
pomtzu posted in the initial thread:
I just saw Princess Chunk on the Regis & Kelly Show. It seens "she" is a "he" and his name is Powder and he is 7-10 years old

catfancier
08-04-2008, 08:10 PM
He's made the news here (in NZ) too - and to think he's not the biggest cat on record! Thank goodness that the Guiness book of records pulled the 'heaviest cat' category - what a way to promote obesity.
Here's another overweight pet story (http://www.stuff.co.nz/4637282a26642.html) (Fox Terriers - one was 67% overweight and the other was a massive 117% overweight!!!). Would you consider this another form of animal abuse? I do.

krazyaboutkatz
08-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Hopefully his exam will go well and if anything is found that it can be treated easily. I also hope that he'll be able to loose some weight so he can enjoy the life of a normal cat.:)

pomtzu
08-08-2008, 11:29 AM
Just heard on the Philadelphia news that the BIG kitty (44 lbs) is in good health. Other than being overweight he is healthy - no thyroid problems. The vet put him on a high protien, low carb diet. And to make his world even better, he will be going to his furever home next week - a family in South Jersey that has 2 other cats. They were chosen over 400+ other applicants so I'm sure that Chunk will be in heaven on earth. A happy ending and a new beginning...........:love::love::love:

Catty1
08-08-2008, 01:23 PM
I hope that the other 399 applicants will accept another kitty or two who needs a furrever home!

smokey the elder
08-08-2008, 02:20 PM
Events like this can "cat"alyze (sorry!:p) extra adoptions that might not have otherwise happened. I hope they can get some of that weight (about 75% of it!!) off Powder.