PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever try Edemame???

moosmom
08-03-2008, 07:41 PM
It's actually soybeans in the pods. They're found in the organic frozen section of the grocery store. You put them in a steamer with a little water and steam them for 5 minutes. Sprinkle them with sea salt and eat them like you would an artichoke to get the beans out. Great snack, low in calories high in protein. Ya gotta try them, they are awesome!!!!

Catty1
08-03-2008, 07:59 PM
No - but roasted soy nuts (I can only find the salted), though high in fat, are really filling cause they're loaded with protein. I take them as a morning snack to work.

The steamed ones sound delish!:)

kuhio98
08-03-2008, 08:06 PM
Love, love, love them!
To me they are kind of like Tofu -- they absorb the flavor of whatever they're in. So, I throw them into all kinds of things.

Freedom
08-03-2008, 08:25 PM
I use them all the time, have for years. I buy them out of the pods, and steam them for a side veg with most any meal. Whole Foods has them at the BEST price, in their own "365" brand.

jennielynn1970
08-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I love them! I get them as an appetizer at the really great sushi place I go to. YUMMMM!

I've also found them at the Wegman's foodstore, in the case where they have their fresh made sushi packaged.

sasvermont
08-03-2008, 09:06 PM
I love them and sometimes put raw beans in a salad. I love them cooked as well. I usually buy frozen ones....organic....delicious. :cool:

jennielynn1970
08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
The one Green Giant mix, either Healthy Weight or Healthy Vision (or whatever it's called) has one with black beans and edemame in it. It's fantastic!!

moosmom
08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
I'll steam them and throw sea salt on them and eat them as a snack. I'm addicted to them!!! My best friend was the one who introduced me to them. She's also the one who got me hooked on Hummus. Yummy!!!!

kitten645
08-03-2008, 09:44 PM
I love them as well. I buy them frozen out of the pods and eat them semi defrosted like you would frozen grapes. Very tasty. AND VERY good for you!
Claudia

Taz_Zoee
08-03-2008, 10:18 PM
A girl I work with will only order that and a small salad when we go to this one restaurant at lunch. She LOVES them. I've tried them and they are good. But I'm not a big veggie eater (shame on me, I know). But they are addictive, if you eat one you can't stop!!! :D

Logan
08-03-2008, 10:34 PM
Helen and I love them steamed, then with a little soy sauce for the salt. They are excellent and we use them as a snack or appetizer quite often.

cyber-sibes
08-03-2008, 11:55 PM
Edamame is great hot or cold. Star & Jack like them too.

Daisy and Delilah
08-04-2008, 02:17 AM
I love it too. We always get it for an appetizer at any sushi restaurant we go to. I have a bag in the freezer right now. I'll get it out and steam it up. Yummy!!:)

Medusa
08-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Yes, I like them in salads or hot. Our grocery carries them fresh. Love 'em!

cassiesmom
08-04-2008, 11:20 AM
My cube-neighbor has at her desk a tub of dark chocolate covered edamame from Trader Joe's. I know that both dark chocolate and edamame are healthful foods, but for me they don't work well together. Forget the edamame and just give me the dark chocolate! (Seriously: Jenn Librarian, thank you for the tip about the Green Giant vegetables. One of my New Year's resolutions this year has been to eat less processed foods and more beans, legumes and whole grains. I'll look for those at the supermarket.)

RedHedd
08-04-2008, 11:51 AM
I buy the unsalted roasted soy nuts @ Safeway - in the bulk bins dept. I love them sprinkled on my cereal for extra crunch and the good stuff.

Unshelled edamame @ Trader Joe's (frozen) are a staple.

moosmom
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
I used to be a big soy nut eater. But since I found these puppies, I can't stand eating roasted soy nuts. 1/2 cup of soy beans cooked is 3 points.

Suki Wingy
08-04-2008, 01:11 PM
"Try" them? They've been a regular occurance at our house for about as long as I can remember.

shais_mom
08-07-2008, 11:48 PM
chalk me up as another addict!
I bought 2 bags on Monday and just finished them!
I used Kosher salt and some tarragon vinegar on my last batch and steamed them up!

moosmom
08-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Staci,

Aren't they the BOMB???

shais_mom
08-08-2008, 11:19 AM
Staci,

Aren't they the BOMB???

lol- yes they are!
now to see if I can find them locally here in po-dunk! I got these at Meijer in Findlay.
And I've never had artichokes either - now I'm intrigued!

shais_mom
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
I stocked up tonight. Literally stocked up.
I found a whole slew of different brands at Kroger.
in the pod and shelled.
salted and not
I found some that were Dora Explorer ones and they come in a little packet!
I thought that was cool. Easily packed for snacks!!

dukedogsmom
08-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Every time I go to the sushi place, I get them. They are delicious! I'll have to look for them in the grocery store, too. Didn't know you could get them there. Now I want some.