PDA

View Full Version : Lightning strike killed 11 pregnant cows

Kirsten
07-31-2008, 04:21 PM
So many sad stories lately in which animals lost their lives... :(

Just read that during a thunderstorm yesterday in the south of Germany, 11 cows died when a lightning struck a tree under which the animals were looking for shelter from the rain. All cows were pregnant.

Stories like this always make me very sad. So many lives gone in only one second... :( :( :(

Kirsten

lizbud
07-31-2008, 04:58 PM
Such a sad thing to have happened. :(:(

Kirsten
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
There was even a picture of them in that article, but it was very sad to watch, so I did not post the link...

Kirsten

mamaducky
07-31-2008, 05:18 PM
This made the national news here in the US, as well -- it's such an unusual and sad thing to have happened.

Poor cows -- they had no way of knowing about the danger of lightning. :(

Kirsten
07-31-2008, 05:22 PM
The article said that the wet animals were huddling together, that's why so many of them died when the lightning struck the tree... :(

When you google for it, you'll find that it happened several times before (I didn't know that). I always loved thunderstorms, but it seems I underestimated the danger for the animals outside. :(

Kirsten

Casper
07-31-2008, 05:23 PM
That is incredibly sad. :(

In the latest lightning storm a pregnant cow at a friend's farm was struck by lightning. At the time, my friend and her family were on vacation, and I was the one to find her as I was there pet-sitting. It was a gut-wrenching sight... one I wish I could erase.

Kirsten
07-31-2008, 05:26 PM
and I was the one to find her as I was there pet-sitting. It was a gut-wrenching sight... one I wish I could erase.

I'm so sorry you had to see that! Probably one of the memories that stay with you forever. :( I know I'd be devastated if I had found her.

Kirsten

pitc9
08-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Omg!!!!