PDA

View Full Version : Oh why, oh why????!!!!!????

Cookiebaker
07-30-2008, 08:04 PM
A Bear with his head stuck in a jug is shot....

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/07/30/stuck.bear.shot.ap/index.html

WHY couldn't they have sedated him, taken the jug off, and released him back into the wild where he belongs???

My heart is breaking.... That is all. :(

Taz_Zoee
07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Here is the answer to your question.
Quote - In the six days that followed the initial sighting of the bear, officials tried to trap it and tranquilize it in numerous locations, but to no avail.

Poor Bear. :(

Emeraldgreen
07-30-2008, 09:19 PM
How awful. :( You'd think they could have just 'shot' it with a tranquilizer gun rather than a gun with bullets. Not sure why they had to try and trap it first. We always see clips on the news of our Conservation Officers shooting mama bears and their cubs with tranquilizer guns when they are up in the top of the tree of a populated area. The bears fall out of the tree and are completely out of it. 'Then' they are put in a bear cage and later released somewhere else. I wish they could have done this for this poor bear. :(

Karen
07-30-2008, 09:22 PM
The stories all said they did try for days to either trap or sedate the bear, so they could remove the jug, but had no luck. The poor thing was undoubtedly starving and dehydrated, and then wandered into a populated area where they worried that it could harm someone - even unintentionally, as its sight would also be compromised by the plastic around his head. It is very sad, poor thing.

Jessika
07-30-2008, 09:23 PM
Here is the answer to your question.
Quote - In the six days that followed the initial sighting of the bear, officials tried to trap it and tranquilize it in numerous locations, but to no avail.

Poor Bear. :(

Yes, i was just going to quote that. It mentioned they did try to on numerous occasions.

It's still heartbreaking, though :(

Catty1
07-30-2008, 09:35 PM
The same thing happened with a 3 year old cow moose in Calgary yesterday.

Tranquilizer darts don't have a huge range - you want to get close enough to have the dart stick, and not have it fall short and maybe scare the poor thing even more.

I'll post more in another thread - just wanted to point out that sadly, tranquilizing is not always possible, and not as easy as it may sometimes sound.

RIP bear. :(

IRescue452
07-31-2008, 06:18 AM
It took the idiots 6 days of trying?! Were they drunk? I'd have no faith in them if my life were on the line. And the bear's head was stuck, I'm sure they could have gotten makeshift walls of some sort and slowly brought them close enough together to have the bear contained.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-31-2008, 09:25 AM
Poor bear - seems they could have tried just a bit harder

jennielynn1970
07-31-2008, 11:35 PM
Poor bear - seems they could have tried just a bit harder

Ditto.

Six days and they couldn't accomplish anything?! What a bunch of useless people they are.