PDA

View Full Version : After 40 years...

Taz_Zoee
07-29-2008, 10:06 PM
My parents have sold their business. Their last day is this Thursday. They have owned a dry cleaners in Sacramento since before I was born. It is going to be so weird to not have it anymore.
It is a good thing, overall. But the bad part is they cannot just retire. They will now have to get jobs. Or my mom will, I should say. My dad is not healthy enough and at 64 I doubt anyone would hire him.
They have a plan of action, but there are no guarantees that it will pan out. However, they are taking some time off. :)
Wow, it doesn't seem real to me yet. It probably won't until I go to call my mom and dial that number out of habit. They have put so much of their lives into this place and are basically getting nothing out of it, unfortunately. At one time they were working 12 hour days 6 days a week. There was only one employee, so they had to be there ALL the time. Even when they were sick or not feeling good they went to work. There was no "calling in sick" for them.

I'm not sure exactly why I'm posting this. I usually don't post about personal stuff much. But this is such a life changing thing for the entire family.
Well, thanks for reading anyway. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-30-2008, 01:19 AM
I am sorry they had to give up their business. I hope the transition is easy on both of them.

Ginger's Mom
07-30-2008, 05:47 AM
It is a huge change for the whole family, that business was a big part of everyone's life (even the children). It is a shame that they weren't able to sell the business and retire. It would be nice if after working so hard for so long they could relax and enjoy their retirement.