PDA

View Full Version : Would you let them go?

lute
07-29-2008, 07:24 PM
At work we have a cat that has been severely mauled by a dog. He had maggots in him, huge gaping holes in his back legs and can hardly bend his back legs. This poor cat is in pain all the time. The owners don't want to have him euth. to help him.

What would you do if it was your dog that was terribly injured? Would you keep them alive even though they would never live a normal life or would you let them go?

If this were one of my dogs I would let them go. It makes me sick to see this cat every day just laying there in pain.

Karen
07-29-2008, 07:32 PM
I would "poof" the cat and have it put out of its misery. Call Animal Control, as that is quite clearly neglect and abuse.

Freedom
07-29-2008, 07:38 PM
I agree with Karen. The crucial thing in your description is the pain the pet is in.

lute
07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
We can't put the cat down without the owner's consent.

Catlady711
07-29-2008, 07:56 PM
If it has lots of maggots, chances are the cat will never recover, aside from it's other problems that are obviously not being treated and can be life threatening. As much as I love cats I'd have no hesitation to have the cat PTS.

Seeing as you are under the restriction of owner consent, I'd be tempted to contact the animal control or humane society or even the police in help with an obvious case of animal neglect to get permission to have the poor kitty put out of it's misery. Document photographs, emails and whatnot in case it ever goes to court for them being prosecuted for animal neglect. Good luck with ending the poory kitty's suffering.

moosmom
07-29-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd make that poor cat go poof and take it to any vet saying it was my cat and wanted to have him put out of his misery. Lie?? Hell yeah if it came down to helping a defenseless cat in pain.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Is the cat being treated for his injuries?

jennielynn1970
07-29-2008, 09:06 PM
We had a cat that came in like that to our shelter. Maggots, gaping holes, and he was in a foster home after being at the vet for a long time. I never thought he was going to pull through, let alone get better.

He actually did pull through, and according to the foster mom who has him, is now fat and happy. This is at least 1 1/2 years later though.

Every case is different, and if there is no way he'll recover, and is just suffering, then I'd try to do something to help him go to the bridge.

Jessika
07-29-2008, 09:08 PM
If it was the vet's best educated guess that the treatment would not outweigh the outcome (as in, a long happy life), then without a second thought I would put him down.

However, having never been in that situation before I can't honestly say what I would do. I would certainly do everything I possibly could and explore all possible options before euthanizing; but I guess I just can't say for sure until I've been in that situation. It's easy to say not that of course I wouldn't let the animal suffer any longer, but unless I'm staring at my own animal in that situation, I really can't say what decision I would make.

I will say, however, that I wouldn't give up so easily.

Catty1
07-29-2008, 09:12 PM
*poof* and a vet. If that cat is going to make it, he needs help YESTERDAY!

For him to have a chance to be comfy, whatever way the vet wants to go, he has to get to a vet!

PLEASE catnap that poor baby!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-29-2008, 10:27 PM
If he is being treated, I think that is ok. I would do it for mine. I would not just give up, if they could live.

Ps- When I was a vet assistant, we had a 5-6 week old kitten that got bit by a spider. Almost his whole neck (75%) was GONE, literally. Ate away. I had to bring him home for round the clock care. I had to hold his neck up, because I was scared it would just fall over and pop. Changing his bandages every 4 hours. NOONE thought he would live, but he did! Was he in pain, YES.. BUT he had a loving owner who loved him and wanted to try everything for him.

Sometimes it is a good thing. I would have to be there to decide how I feel.

mr.chiwawa
07-29-2008, 10:35 PM
I would let him go to the bridge where he would be happy and restored to kitten capacity. Poor baby my God watch over him and ease some of his pain until the owners come to their senses and let him go.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-30-2008, 04:52 AM
What sort of people are these so-called owners:mad::mad:

Lori Jordan
07-30-2008, 06:11 PM
That is a sad situation to be a part of.
Like i have always said,"We as humand have to suffer",But our animals don't.

Grace
07-30-2008, 06:48 PM
Absolutely call animal control. This is a case of animal neglect and cruelty if there ever was one.

The owners will not be told who reported this.

shepgirl
07-30-2008, 07:07 PM
Aren't the owners responsible for getting the cat vet treatment by law? That would solve the problem if they don't bring it in. From the description i osunds like the ca does need treatment of some kind.