PDA

View Full Version : Ugh!!

Cincy'sMom
09-04-2002, 04:30 PM
I was going to start the thread differently, but reading Pet talk and seeing everyone's beautiful pets has calmed me done :) I was so mad when I got home from work today. My lawn was fertilized by a professional company, instead of my neighbor's. This was to be her 4th treatment, so you would think by now they know where she lived. Ok, I am not being chanrged for it, we get free fertilizer everything shuld be fine right? Well what about my poor dogs! Is this safe for them?
At first I called to let them know their error so my neighbor could get the treatment she paid for. And I wasnted to see if it was pet safe. They told me to go water my grass so it would dissolve. Oh, and try to keep my dogs inthe house for the next day or 2 until it did. Yeah, keep to LABS who LOVE to be outside inside for 2 days! When it is 80 and beautiful out!
I know I am overreacting and the chemical probablly wouldn't hurt the girls anyway. I just can't belive first that they hire idiots who don't know the difference between a 1 and a 7 and that they acted is if it is no bug deal, just keep the dogs inthe house!

Thanks for letting me vent!!!

Cinder & Smoke
09-04-2002, 05:15 PM
Hey "Mom" ~

First: Happie Green Lawn! :)

Second: Call the Company back and...

* A. Demand they BRING you a copy of the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) for ALL the chemicals they 'dumped' on Your yard by Mistake.
The MSDS sheets will give you an idea of what chemicals were used and what their Toxicity is to Humans. (A GOOD MSDS might mention the toxicity to pets.)

* B. Demand they also include the Company written materials concerning the precautions they recommend for Children and Pets. These suggestions might vary depending on exactly what mix was used - it often varies with the season and/or what they were treating the neighbor's yard for.

Most of the lawn treatment companies post little signs when the make an application - it usually says to keep Kids & Pets off for a specific amount of time and/or rainfall.

If you don't get much satisfaction from the local Company office - ask for the phone number (should be an 800#) for the National franchise owner.
No luck there? Call the local Health Department - someone there should listen.

and
* C. Depending upon how you're doing with them...
Suggest they might want to *spring* for a couple of days of Dawggie Day Care :D ~ Just to avoid a nasty trip to Court :eek:.

Be FIRM with them - and remind them that THEY made the mistake and need to make it right by you and your Pets!

/s/ Phred

lizbud
09-04-2002, 06:15 PM
Cincy's Mom,

I agree with Cinder & Smoke's Phred. This is no small thing.
I wouldn't let the company off the the hook easily, but would
insist on knowing what chemicals were actually sprayed on
your yard. There was a time when I lived in the "burbs" and
we had our front & side yards treated regularly. (not the back
yard where the family dogs would go out to potty or play).
We were warned by the lawn care company to keep any
animals off the sprayed area for 2-3 days. Lizbud.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-05-2002, 06:16 AM
What idiots, really? What kind of fertilizer did they use anyway? I have had my lawn fertilized before and asked them to be sure to use stuff that wasn't going to harm my dog. If it can harm a dog, chances are it can cause damage to a kid as well.

Do as Phred has suggested. Hopefully, all will be OK.

Logan
09-05-2002, 06:58 AM
I feel sure that everything will be ok. Whenever I have had to treat my lawn with fertilizer or the stuff that kills fleas and ticks, I always wet it down real good, and then make sure it has dried completely before I allow my dogs back out. It is a pain to have to leash walk them, but it is usually less than 24 hours before they are allowed back in the yard.

Maybe my take on it is different, but it sounds like an honest mistake to me, and I'm sure they will cooperate with you in giving you the information on what they used. I would want to know, just in case one of your pups got sick, so you could be more informative with the vet.

Sorry this happenned.

Logan

lovemymaltese
09-05-2002, 01:27 PM
I hope the fertilizer is okay for the dogs, I really see no reason why it wouldn't be though. Now you'll have a nice healthy lawn. Hey maybe your on a good luck streak.

Cincy'sMom
09-05-2002, 03:47 PM
Well, from the numbers on the recepit, I know it was nitrogen, Phosporus and Sulfur. I have the MSDS's (since I am a chemist I have easy access to them) I did water for a while last night to try and help the product dissolve (it was dry pellets) but it doesn't seem to have helped. What did help was that we had people over last night so the girls wanted to be in anyway. Well see what happens....