PDA

View Full Version : Do you know what to do in the event of an earthquake?

Medusa
07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Take this brief test and find out. You Californians probably have an advantage over the rest of us.

http://www.nwcn.com/sharedcontent/features/flash/quake/during.html

Taz_Zoee
07-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I think I'm a little :o. I live in California and I got three wrong. However, in my defense, I've only been in one earthquake that I thought was big and it was nothing really.
I've also heard that the bathtub is a good place to take cover. Because the tub forms a barrier for walls and things that would fall.

Karen
07-28-2008, 08:39 PM
I got 7 out of 10 right, but am not too worried - we rarely get any earthquakes of any significance in New England. Lots of teeny ones, nothing major.

Cinder & Smoke
07-28-2008, 09:55 PM
I guess we're ready to Rumble --- got a 90%. :)

But - I'd STILL turn the gas off!
They're worried I might get tired of *waiting* for the gas company to come
around and "properly" turn the gas back on and re-light the appliances.

An improper turn-ON can result in a BIG *BOOM* when non-gas company folks
attempt to do it ... I've turned a lotta gas valves OFF - and NEVER turned one back on
(except for the BBQ Grill). If I turn it OFF, I'll *wait* for the Gas Guys. ;)

** Ohioans take note! ---
We HAVE had Earthquakes in Ohio! :eek:

:D

kt_luvs_kitties
07-28-2008, 10:15 PM
Do you know what to do in the event of an earthquake???

Stick my head between my legs and kiss my booty goodbye!:p:rolleyes::D

Sorry, that wasnt even funny!

I will take the test now;)

Hellow
07-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Heh, i live in a not very earthquake prone area, so i got most wrong. I believe the quiz was wrong about something: you cant smell gas if the pipe underground busted. In that situation, you should turn your gas off.

Taz_Zoee
07-28-2008, 10:26 PM
Do you know what to do in the event of an earthquake???

Stick my head between my legs and kiss my booty goodbye!:p:rolleyes::D

Sorry, that wasnt even funny!

I will take the test now;)

LOL, you know what I said to that question?

CRY

Because that's what I did with the "little" one I felt a couple years ago. Bruce was like - what's your problem? That was nothing. As I was freaking out!!

RockyRoad
07-28-2008, 10:32 PM
I got 5/10, but I live on Long Island so the chances of getting an earthquake are pretty slim. Good thing, too, because obviously I would be clueless! :o I will, however, pass this on to my friend who just moved out to California!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-28-2008, 10:35 PM
I got all but 1 right. I missed the turn off gas line one. I still would turn it off:o

Cindy, I would cry too, while running around like a maniac trying to catch my kitties;)

Medusa
07-29-2008, 07:10 AM
I guess we're ready to Rumble --- got a 90%. :)

But - I'd STILL turn the gas off!
They're worried I might get tired of *waiting* for the gas company to come
around and "properly" turn the gas back on and re-light the appliances.

An improper turn-ON can result in a BIG *BOOM* when non-gas company folks
attempt to do it ... I've turned a lotta gas valves OFF - and NEVER turned one back on
(except for the BBQ Grill). If I turn it OFF, I'll *wait* for the Gas Guys. ;)

** Ohioans take note! ---
We HAVE had Earthquakes in Ohio! :eek:

:D

You're right, we have. I remember one back in the early 80's right here in little ol' Canal Fulton. I was on the phone at work and I suddenly thought someone was on my roof. I put the phone down, went outside and looked up at the roof and then noticed that other business owners were outside, too, all looking up at their roofs. All the jewelry fell off the shelves in the jewelry case, too. And then it was over.

I only got 4 right on the test. Better go back and review, huh?

Pawsitive Thinking
07-29-2008, 10:29 AM
My first thought was - panic!!

RICHARD
07-29-2008, 04:46 PM
Take this brief test and find out. You Californians probably have an advantage over the rest of us.

http://www.nwcn.com/sharedcontent/features/flash/quake/during.html

I am reporting you to Karen and Paul.

That's really a nasty thing to do to us....You and those powers of yours.
You can get us extra money and now you can conjure up earthquakes?

WITCH!;)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-29-2008, 04:58 PM
One thing puzzles me (well, ok lots of things puzzle me but this is about the "natural disasters"), we are all to have "survival kits" no matter if it's for tornadoes or earthquakes or terrorists etc. What is the chance of you and your survival kit being in the same location when you need it?

If a tornado destroys your house, good bye survival kit! Same thing if an earthquake makes your house fall down. Is the making of a survival kit just the governments way of trying to make us feel like we would have some control if these things happen? :confused:

RICHARD
07-29-2008, 05:12 PM
You can make a way cheaper kit than the ones you have to buy, like you said, it's getting to it.

In an EQ it's just a matter of situating it outside or in a place where you can get to it...a storage shack?

Tornadoes and hurricanes are a different problem.

----------

The reasoning behind a CA survival kit is to take some of the pressure off of the authorities. They will be in areas where there are buildings that have fallen and are to keep the 'little people' from over taxing the system and giving them a way to take control of their situation. (Yep, a temp feel good solution, but handy just the same.)

carole
07-29-2008, 05:47 PM
oh dear i did extremely bad in that test, and here in nz we are prone to earthquakes, not so much where i live, but heck i need to educate myself a bit more and read that again, thanks for sharing , i will know better what to do now.

i just re did the quiz and got 8/10 this time, just as well eh?

Medusa
07-29-2008, 06:27 PM
I am reporting you to Karen and Paul.

That's really a nasty thing to do to us....You and those powers of yours.
You can get us extra money and now you can conjure up earthquakes?

WITCH!;)

See what happens when you mess w/Medusa? That'll learn ya!

cmayer31
07-29-2008, 06:33 PM
I stopped after the first question. In the '94 Northridge quake if I had done what they say to do I wouldn't be here right now.

I made it to the door and was very lucky; my brother didn't get to the doorway and he ended up trapped in the room until we could break through. Had I been stuck in the same position that he ended up in, I would have had an upper bunk and dressed launched into me. He had a water bed and when his dresser came down on him he just "sunk" a little further and was fine although stuck.

I guess, like everything else, take the advise with a grain of salt because although it seems like a very good guide, ever situation ends up being different.

jennielynn1970
07-29-2008, 07:03 PM
YIKES. I'm NOT moving to California any time soon. I got a 5/10 on the test!:o

It got me thinking about my gas line. I know I have one, cause I have gas heat and cooking fuel, but I have NO IDEA where a shut off valve is! I wouldn't have a clue about where to even go for that sucker. I think it said to leave it on, although I answered "not sure".

Earthquake supply kit... don't have one of them. I know we practice for tornadoes and other storms at school, but we've never practiced for an earthquake.

I don't think PA is earthquake prone, but I think we do get them.

Gosh. Embarrassing how little I know about this subject! Guess I know what I need to study next!

RICHARD
07-29-2008, 07:58 PM
See what happens when you mess w/Medusa? That'll learn ya!

Hey,
I was just BBQing.....want me to "burn you a stake?"?:eek::p

A little witch humor there!:rolleyes:

----------

Every quake is different.

IT all depends where you are at.

THere's only one thing that I have not been doing when a quake hit.

Once, I was on the pot when a good quake hit, that was amusing! The worst part is when you are asleep. That's a real wakeup call.

-------

Check out the film clips of the TV shows being filmed when the quake hit.

--------

I got 5/10....But I got the pool question right......I don't swim in your toilet so don't........in my pool?