lizbud
07-26-2008, 06:17 PM
This is so wrong. That student should be punished for doing this. What is
wrong with some people.:confused:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25864015/?GT1=43001

Lady's Human
07-26-2008, 06:24 PM
Yes, really.

It's almost as irritating as the Obama campaign decision to use the western wall as a campaign stop.

lizbud
07-26-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, really.

It's almost as irritating as the Obama campaign decision to use the western wall as a campaign stop.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Catty1
07-26-2008, 07:45 PM
It was wrong to steal and publish the prayer.

But it is a wonderful prayer.

JMO

K9soul
07-26-2008, 08:20 PM
What a tasteless thing to do. People act like anyone in the public eye have no right to any privacy or personal space. Shame on the thieving student and the publishers.

moosmom
07-26-2008, 09:49 PM
Shame on whoever published it. Beautiful prayer, though.

Pam
07-26-2008, 10:09 PM
If anyone believes that any of this was an accident I have some swamp land for you..... :rolleyes: I think its a pretty clever attempt to try and gather some votes from the right. Please know that I am not any more skeptical about Obama than I would be about McCain should he decide to pull off such a tactic. There are no good choices in this election. :(

jennielynn1970
07-26-2008, 11:02 PM

I don't exactly see it as a campaign tactic.

I think that place/wall has significant meanings for different people, no matter your religion. Who is to say it wasn't that he really felt a spiritual pull to be there.

I think it's a shame that it had to be publicized. Prayer and/or reflection is something that should be a private matter, no matter who you are.

Twisterdog
07-27-2008, 12:16 AM
If anyone believes that any of this was an accident I have some swamp land for you..... :rolleyes: I think its a pretty clever attempt to try and gather some votes from the right. Please know that I am not any more skeptical about Obama than I would be about McCain should he decide to pull off such a tactic. There are no good choices in this election. :(

AMEN!

K9soul
07-27-2008, 12:32 AM
It could well be some sort of campaign tactic. But I also think it must be difficult to have every last thing you do and say scrutinized and publicized and looked upon with speculation (and people wonder why the lack of honest and true politicians). As I see it, both candidates are human beings and some of what they do may indeed be genuine and personal expressions.

In any case, if it were some sort of campaign/image setup, it is despicable for the publication to play into it and publish such a thing, just as it is if it were not and is as the article presents it. Either scenario shows a breach of ethics. I'm not going to be one to claim I know someone's heart in the matter, I find the publication distasteful either way.

Lady's Human
07-27-2008, 05:36 AM
If it wasn't a campaign stop, why were there campaign signs there in Hebrew, why was a section of the wall cordoned off just for Sen. Obama, why bring his media train with him......

If he wanted it to be a private moment he could have just told his entourage to stay home.

It was tasteless to use that particular location for a backdrop for the campaign.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Pam I agree! I have a bridge also for sale, :p.

Also agreed about no good choices... 2 elections in a row where I am COMPLETELY dissatisfied with the choices.

Edited to add:If it wasnt a ploy, I apologize. I dont think it is right, but then again, I dont think its true either!

Pam
07-27-2008, 06:00 AM
But I also think it must be difficult to have every last thing you do and say scrutinized and publicized and looked upon with speculation (and people wonder why the lack of honest and true politicians).

I see things a little reversed from what you say. The reason that people look upon politicians with skepticism is because there has been dishonesty among their ranks. I also do believe that having oneself scrutinized comes with the territory when you put yourself 'out there' to run for office. If there is dirt it will be found and unfortunately sometimes probably even invented from the other side.

Ginger's Mom
07-27-2008, 06:25 AM

Thank you for saying this. :) I thought about saying something very similar to this yesterday, but decided that I always sound so skeptical that I would just leave it alone. I have to agree with this 100%. I don't think the newspaper breached and publishing ethics by printing the prayer.

K9soul
07-27-2008, 09:03 AM
I see things a little reversed from what you say. The reason that people look upon politicians with skepticism is because there has been dishonesty among their ranks. I also do believe that having oneself scrutinized comes with the territory when you put yourself 'out there' to run for office. If there is dirt it will be found and unfortunately sometimes probably even invented from the other side.

I didn't explain this well. I think part of the lack of true and honest politicians because those types either don't get far because they don't paint a "pretty enough picture" to the public. When you think back to some of the old presidents who are considered great, they just were not in the public eye the way they are now with the internet and 24-hour newscasts. They are always "on camera" and so the ones who come forward, I think, are the ones ready to put on a show. It's also like you said of course, you know it's kind of a cause and effect situation I think. I just think it's gotten to the point that a lot of genuine people don't want to touch it or just can't get far because they aren't good at being the perpetual target of the media every hour of every day.

This is kind of going off topic but you got me thinking about it all. I think with the complete lack of personal life or personal space, it tends to attract those more willing to put on a show and do whatever it takes to win as many people over as possible.

Pam
07-27-2008, 09:12 AM
I just think it's gotten to the point that a lot of genuine people don't want to touch it

I see exactly what you are saying and totally agree. You almost hate to see a "good" person become a politician because in order to survive in that type of atmosphere they probably, over time, have to compromise some of the principles they had when they went in.

Cookiebaker
07-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Thats EXACTLY what I was thinking when I read the article. ;)

lizbud
07-27-2008, 10:24 AM
Obama went there in the pre dawn hours & slipped his unsigned note
into a space in the Holy Wall. I'll reveal my own cynicism and say that
the student probably was paid a lot of money for this little tidbit of news.

Sad, really.:rolleyes:

finn's mom
07-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Everyone's a pawn in this, unfortunately. From the student, to the publisher, to the reader. Election time just absolutely boggles my mind. I don't feel right reading the prayer, so as long as I keep my curiosity in check, I won't.