PDA

View Full Version : Kyra had a birthday! *7 pics*

k9krazee
07-26-2008, 12:02 AM
Kyra had her FOURTH birthday a couple weeks ago. I can't believe this little girl is getting so old. :P She'll always be the "baby" of the house.

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/652149e6595146d9514f50ba578151ca.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/63da62addca85d975b8d86d504c950f5.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/ad4b055a6c95b2875ce32728ec5765aa.jpg

And this is what she does ALL summer. She takes her tennis ball and drops it in the water and then cries until someone retrieves it for her.
http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/04be9b2bfee8d432be95b5a14521f506.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/507cb85249a2e80e9346c890b2187521.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/5bc4dcb2e71125faf3cf0874ecf627c0.jpg

http://www.zoto.com/kangashrew13/img/45/c66e3c0c96e79e6140111faed402bcfd.jpg

She is the coolest little dog I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. She has some bad qualities (like she hates other people and dogs and gets extremely obsessive over things), but she's the best little companion to the people she trusts. I'm glad I took a chance and stood up for the stinker when things weren't looking too good for her future. She's one of a kind, that's for sure and I hope to spend many more years with her!

Happy 4th Birthday Baby Ky!

Ginger's Mom
07-26-2008, 06:25 AM
Happy Birthday, Kyra!!! She sure is lucky to have you, Ashley. Kyra pictures always make me smile, not only because she is so cute, but also because she always looks so in charge of things. :)

cloverfdx
07-26-2008, 07:43 AM
Happy Birthday little girl :D. I love the photos Ashley, Kyra is a cutie.

RockyRoad
07-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Happy birthday, Kyra! She is such a cutie! I love the tennis ball in the pool thing, I cracked up just picturing it. :D

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 09:46 AM
oh baby Kyra - bad qualities and all - you are just so adorable such A PUPPY FACE!
Happy birthday and many more!

Taz_Zoee
07-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Happy Birthday Kyra!! You've got your humans well trained. :)

ramanth
07-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Happy Birthday Kyra!! :love:

I'd give you smoochies, but you'd probably eat me. ;) :D

elizabethann
07-26-2008, 02:34 PM
Oh, she's adorable. Happy Birthday Kyra!

4 Dog Mother
07-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh, Ashley, Kyra is a little doll! She definitely will always look like a puppy! Happy Birthday, Kyra! Some day you will have to tell us more about Kyra - and what "I'm glad I took a chance and stood up for the stinker when things weren't looking too good for her future" means.

k9krazee
07-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Oh, I would love to tell more about KyKy. :)

So four years ago, July 11th, she was born. The smallest of 6th, and the 5th to be born. We took the pups for their first check up shortly after they were born and all were given a clean bill of health, except Kyra. The vet was worried because she was a third of the size and only 3 oz. We noticed she wasn't getting any milk from her mother and she didn't have the ability to suck. We bought her a bottle and began feeding every few hours (good thing I was on summer vacation). I noticed that milk would bubble out her nose every so often and didn't think that it was normal. I opened her mouth and witnessed a huge gaping hole leading to her nasal cavity, she was probably a week old as this point. Hopped online and found a wonderful woman, whose name escapes me now, that sucessfully raised many cleft palate puppies. She gave me the encouragment and support that I needed. My mom got home from work that day and told me she made an appointment to have the pup, that we were calling Baby, euthanized. I told there was no way that I was going to give up that easily and I'd raise the pup and find her a home when she was older if I had to. "I'm glad I took a chance and stood up for the stinker when things weren't looking too good for her future" ;) Needless to say, my mom fell in love with her and when people came to look at her when she was about 8 weeks she wasn't able to give her up.

Her people and dog issues I'm sure could be resolved with some training and patience, but I'm not willing to work with her. My mom has spoiled her too much and won't even take my simple suggestions that'd make her a better dog. She's her baby and will always be treated as such.

4 Dog Mother
07-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, Ashley what a great story! I knew you were a special young woman but to go to that much trouble to allow a pup to live when anyone else would have just put it down - that was truly a special thing to do. Does she still have a cleft palate? (shows you what I know huh?) Does she have any trouble eating or drinking? I understand about the spoiling part - when you can't get the main person in the dogs life to cooperate it makes it almost impossible to train or socialize a dog. Thanks for sharing Kyra's story with me - by the way - I didn't know you had let any of your dogs have litters. Who is Kyra's mom and dad? I can't even imagine a 3 oz. puppy - she must have looked like a mouse?

gemini9961
07-28-2008, 08:36 AM
Happy Birthday Kyra!!

pitc9
07-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Happy Birthday little sweetie!

That's is a wonderful story Ashley!

lizbud
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
Happy Birthday Kyra :)

k9krazee
07-28-2008, 11:33 AM
I didn't know you had let any of your dogs have litters. Who is Kyra's mom and dad?
And that's another reason I don't feel like working with Kyra ;) I vowed from the beginning not to get involved with the puppies because I didn't agree with the whole breeding situation. I wasn't even home when they were born. Mini was bred to my Uncle's Jack Russell, Snickers...my dad believed that a dog is a better dog once it has had puppies. I did advise them to wait until she was 2+ years old and we did have a couple homes lined up in advance, which is better than nothing I suppose. After we had the puppies though I was old enough to start volunteering in the shelter with a parent so my mom started too. After that I think she really started to understand the whole over population problem, and after all the work with Kyra, has decided to never breed again.

Here are the puppies family reunion a couple years ago
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=96544

Does she still have a cleft palate? Does she have any trouble eating or drinking? I can't even imagine a 3 oz. puppy - she must have looked like a mouse?

She still does have a cleft palate, but it's significantly smaller. No trouble eating or drinking but she can only ever have hard foods and plain water. The only time we are really reminded of it is when she goes swimming and sneezes uncontrollably. When she was little she used to get things (like food or leaves) stuck up there and we'd have to try to flush it out. Our vet, after we told her we weren't going to give up on her, refused to do her spay and told us the longest living cleft palate dog he saw lived to be 6. We would like to prove to him that she's as normal as any other dog.

As for being 3 oz, she fit comfortably in a cupped hand. She was TINY. It took her months to reach the 1 pound mark, when the rest of the pups were a pound within a week or two.

A comparison picture with Kyra and her brother Buddy and sister Jackie a couple days after they were born
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/kangashrew13/Birthday/000_0594.jpg

And here's a picture with me and all of the puppies - minus Kyra.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y125/kangashrew13/Birthday/000_0273.jpg

pitc9
07-28-2008, 11:51 AM
OMG she was So tiny!!! :eek:

Why in the world would the vet not spay her just because she has a cleft palate? What in heck does one have to do with the other?!!?
What a weird-o! :rolleyes:

Ginger's Mom
07-28-2008, 11:53 AM
I always assumed that Kyra was part of an accidental litter between Micki and Mini (and I know you were too young at the time to have any real say). I had to smile at the picture of you and the two month old pups, that is about how big Kyra is now (okay maybe an exaggeration ;) ). Well, if anyone has a chance of proving the doctor wrong it's you. :)

anna_66
07-29-2008, 08:45 AM
I'm so sorry I missed your birthday Kyra! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!

Ashley I loved reading the storys about her. I never knew.

WELOVESPUPPIES
07-30-2008, 07:49 AM
awww Sweetie I missed your birthday. I hope you had a wonderful one and that you have many, many more!!

4 Dog Mother
07-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Wow, Ashley, you still amaze me! I know it is hard when you don't control things like when your parents decided to breed Mini but the way you jumped in to save Kyra is just amazing. It must be hard after feeding her and working with her when she was so little to now watch your mom spoil her so badly. It ain't easy being a kid - grownup or not!

I have heard before I joined Pet Talk that females do make better dogs after having a litter. I have never wanted to deal with the delivery thing and finding the pups new homes so we have always spayed or neutered. I am glad your mother started volunteering at the shelter with you and has begun to understand to over population thing.

Again, thanks for sharing Kyra's story with us!

4 Dog Mother
07-30-2008, 08:37 AM
I just went back and looked at the thread where you went to see the siblings. How cute! I took it that Macy did find her forever home with Jackie's mom and dad. After looking at them, I don't know how you gave any of them up - but then again that many Jack Russells would probably send you over the edge. I loved all the pictures but the one of Snickers and Peanut was so sweet.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Hope you had a good day pretty girl. Tobey drops his ball into my bag when he wants to play!

cassiesmom
07-30-2008, 11:04 AM
Awwwww, Miss Kyra! You're the baby of the family and it looks like you have them wrapped around your pawsies with the tennis ball game. Happy birthday to you, sweet girl. Your cleft palate story makes my eyes all leaky. Please have your humans give you some hugs for me for your birthday.

P.s. question, were you not able to be spayed because of anesthesia risk with your cleft palate? I could see why the vet might hesitate, would not want you to aspirate fluid into your lungs during the surgery due to the cleft. (i'm a nurse) Given that you still have the cleft I can understand why it might still be risky.

Hug, hug, hug, hug, hug for your birthday with many wishes for a long, healthy and happy life.