PDA

View Full Version : ARGH! More feral cats! Will it ever end? PICS ADDED!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2008, 12:39 AM
Yes, more feral cats. There is a momma kitty, a daddy kitty and 7, yes, 7 babies hiding in my bushes. They are about 4 weeks old, cute as pie if I do say so myself, and eating plenty of wet kitten food.

Plan of action, GET MOMMA AND DADDY KAT FIXED ASAP!!!
But first, to adopt out the babies. I have ran an add on craigslist, and in the newspaper, and I did get my friend ( she owns a pet sitting company) to take one, and I will bring it to her tomorrow... Whining and begging is not beneath me:rolleyes:

Another lady contacted me about the siamese kitten, and I will be sending pics tomorrow.

I will be taking mom and dad to be fixed as soon as I can get an appointment, and get babies a new home. They were all flea treated and dewormed tonight. Mom lets me touch her, but is super skittish! Dad, not a chance of catching him! I have a trap, and will use it:p

My neighbor, whom I have transitioned her thinking with TNR, she used to just call Animal Control... And now she is more than willing to help me catch and treat the babies. She even took the pictures for me today:) She even offered to pay half the "donation" fee if FAPS will take the remaining kitties... But they are all so cute and highly adoptable, that I will try to get them loving homes first!

Just wanted to update, and ask for prayers that I can adopt out these babies into the BEST homes, and the parents are easily caught and fixed, to stop this cycle. This neighborhood will be kitten free hopefully within a few months! *fingers crossed*.

Freedom
07-25-2008, 08:08 AM
Good job!

I do have a few comments.
Isn't 4 weeks young to remove them from their momma? They are still learning social skills from mom. I do NOT know about this, just wondering.

From when I was working in TNRM, a 'feral cat free neighborhood' is just a vacuum, waiting for another group of cats to set up. It never ends! That was the hardest part for me, as well.

Last comment: You converted this neighbor and
She even took the pictures for me today So WHERE are the pictures?? :p

Medusa
07-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Prayers going up that all will turn out well for you and all the kitties. It's frustrating, I know. Seems like the work will never be finished. Thank goodness for people like you. You're doing such a wonderful job! :)

moosmom
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Katie,

Welcome to the disgusting world of Irresponsible Pet Ownership. Feral colonies are popping up all over the place because people refuse to get their cats fixed. It's sad, because it's not the cat's fault.

4 weeks is a little young to be separating them from mama. 5-6 weeks is usually when they start becoming more feral and it's time to separate them. But if the only time you can trap them is at 4 weeks, then so be it. And not all feral kitties will come around socially either.

Remember LilA??? She's gone back to Rhode Island and is living with Freedom. I had her for a year (right Sandie??) and no matter how hard I tried, there was still the feralness in her that I just couldn't break.

You are doing a wonderful job and are to be commended. Just remember to take care of yourself too, girlfriend. You don't want to burn out the way I did. 5 words to live by...YOU CAN'T SAVE THEM ALL!! As much as we'd all like to.

Taz_Zoee
07-25-2008, 09:19 AM
Paizly was around 4 - 5 weeks old when she was brought to Cathy. And now she is such a lover. In the mornings I can't seem to pet her fast enough or hard enough. She rubs ALL over me. You'd never know she lived the first weeks of her life on the streets. Well, at least as far as we know.

Katie, you are awesome. You have helped so many kitties just in the couple years I've been here on PT. I am glad I do not have feral kitties in my neighborhood. Otherwise I'd be afraid Bruce would kick me out. :p

Keep up the good work, and like Donna said, don't let yourself get burnt out on it. Only do what you are capable of handling. :D :D It's great you've got a neighbor to help you too.

Anikaca77
07-25-2008, 09:27 AM
Thank you so much for doing what you are doing for these babies.

It's hard I know.

Good luck and lots of prays.

Melissa

catmandu
07-25-2008, 09:37 AM
MY FRIENDS AT THE ANIMAL WELFARE ASSC. ARE SICK OF PEOPLE THINKING THAT THEY ARE DUMP YOUR CATS HERE INC.
THEY ARE BESEIGED WITH PEOPLE WHO GET FREE KITTENS AND THEN NO LONGER WANT THEM. AND SADLY AS THE PRICE OF GAS , AND THINGS GO UP, THE CATS WILL BE EVEN MORE EXPENDABLE.:mad::(:eek:
BLESS EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD WHO DOES WHAT THEY CAN TO HELP.:love::love:

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you guys for the advice and support.

The reason I am doing it now, is because I am SO scared that I wont be able to catch them in a few weeks! Also, the faster they go, the sooner I can get momma cat fixed. The momma could move them, and I am scared if she does, the neighborhood will not be so welcoming. AND they get underneath and inside my car and hubbys, and I am scared we might not know one is there, and the unthinkable could happen.

I know I am paranoid, but I feel it is best. Hubby is so mad at me that steam is coming from his ears:eek: He thinks I should leave them be:rolleyes:

Anyways, I will post pics as soon as I get them from my neighbor. I forgot to give her my email:rolleyes: Yes I really am blonde;)

I will post the pics asap.

PS- It is a shame that I have too many cats here, the runt of the litter is irresistable! I want to "eated him" all up:p

Catty1
07-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Just to clarify TNR - the idea is to work on a feral colony; the really wild ones are released (the "R" in "TNR"). That way there is still a colony there, and a new one does not arrive to take is place.

Since there doesn't seem to be much of a colony where you are, the kitties will keep showing up.

Does your friend have any space to foster the mom AND her babies?

You gotta find people with room! Any replies you get on your ads for Fatty and Pretty Girl, see if you can find a good foster person in the bunch.

How is that woman doing who was going to foster but was going for cancer treatment? I hope she is doing ok!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Candace, I think you have the wrong person:p

Catty1
07-25-2008, 02:34 PM
OOPS maybe I do. (so many ferals, so little brain :p )

OK - you DO have a neighbour. Does she have one or two bathrooms to house mom and kittens? ;)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2008, 02:38 PM
She said that she cant do it. She has a dog, and she is scared he will harrass them. Also her son is ADHD and is too hyper to be put with ANY tiny kittens. I do not even know if I would be comfortable with that!:p He is 100 miles a minute, WILD!

I want to take them, but hubby is throwing a fit. BUT I might stick them in my bathroom, maybe he wont notice:p:rolleyes::D

Catty1
07-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Nag your co-workers, or have hubby nag his. ONE good foster place could make a real difference. In fact, hubby has real motivation to ask at work! Maybe someone there has a cat-loving spouse who is at home and alone a fair bit. Or their kids have moved and there is an extra room.

More chances of homes that way, too.

Just ideas, that's all.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-25-2008, 07:34 PM
Here are the babies pictures!

This little guy is the runt. I would love to have him *pouts*
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0006_1-1.jpg?t=1217031944

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0007_1.jpg?t=1217032011

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0002-5.jpg?t=1217032083

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0003-5.jpg?t=1217032161

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0007-4.jpg?t=1217032195

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0008-4.jpg?t=1217032221

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0009-4.jpg?t=1217032261

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0011-4.jpg?t=1217032348

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0013-4.jpg?t=1217032398

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a89/leslieann2/kittens/IMG_0014-4.jpg?t=1217032421

Wanted to add: I do have permission to post these pictures. I do not own them!

Hope you enjoyed!

Medusa
07-25-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh my gooness, they're adorable!

jennielynn1970
07-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Oh my gosh... I am a complete puddle of mush! What sweeties!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Katie, they sure are adorable and shouldn't have any problems finding their forever loving homes.:) I'm so glad that you're helping them. They will need someone to help socialize them though. Good luck.:)

momcat
07-27-2008, 10:27 PM
O...M...G...!!! BABIES!!!! Please give me a moment to recover from turning into mush on the floor. They are beautiful and I do see mischief on those irresistable faces already. No doubt about it, when these little ones are ready for adoption they'll be scooped up right away!

Thank you and bless you for caring enough to help this kitty family! Groucho is sending you tons of thank you kitty kisses for helping his fellow kitties in need. :love:

kt_luvs_kitties
07-28-2008, 12:56 AM
I have already found possible homes for 4-5 of the babies. Problem is, I cant find the babies. They are hiding in the wooded area across the street I believe. I am going to have to get them one by one, and, Even though I am not supposed to bring them in, I am going to anyways. I

will keep them indoors in a cage in my bathtub(second bathroom), and then before hubby gets home about 8ish, I will put them back outside in a covered cage to sleep... Hopefully I wont get caught!

Please pray VERY hard that I catch them tomorrow. Each day that passes is a missed chance at a loving home! And my friend wants her kitten NOW!

Thank you for the responses! Kt and kitties and pups too!

moosmom
07-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Way To Go Katie!!!!!

Catty1
07-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Way to go! Would be great if you can catch the mom too! In case the babies are still nursing...but they look ready to try some food on their own.

{{{{HUGS}}}} to you. Would your neighbour help you? Maybe she can bring the cage along in case you can get more than one. (And with the babies in the cage, maybe momcat would come along - is she pretty feral, or maybe a tame 'dumped' housecat?)

Bless you and good luck!

jazzcat
07-28-2008, 10:25 AM
OMG, they are soooo cute!!!!

Your situation reminds me of when I found Moxie and her siblings in the back yard. Your kittens look a little older than they were at the time but those pictures of them against the house under foilage is the same.

I'd have hard time giving them all up - obviously since Moxie and Decker are still here. It's great you've already found homes.

Good luck finding them. At least they don't look too wild yet.

Randi
07-28-2008, 11:16 AM
They're adorable! ... and it's great that you're trying to find them homes and have mom and dad neutered. :) However, if at all possible, I would wait to take them until they're at least 8-10 weeks old (here it's recommended to wait until 12 weeks), because they're more prone to get sick later in life if they're taken from mom to soon. They usually stick around in the area they were born.

Best of luck, whatever you decide! :)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Thank you all.

No, no help. I have to do this by myself. I do have a small pet taxi that I will use.

Also wanted to add, if this was the perfect situation, I would take in momma as well. But I just can't. I have 15 cats and 2 dogs. She is feral, and would be horrible inside.

I always wait until 8 weeks if I have momma cat to foster... But with outside ferals, after about 5-6 weeks it is MUCH harder to break them, and at 8-12 weeks they almost NEVER come completely around to being wonderful inside cats. A couple days can be detrimental.

They do eat canned food outside, but I have not saw them today. I am going to just get them inside one by one.

And momma leaves them for HOURS at a time. She goes off, or is on my porch for 3-4 hours, no kittens in sight. I think she is ready to break ties with them... Which could be great for me, because once they get hungry enough, they will do anything for food!