PDA

View Full Version : Jack and Taggert Ran Away Last Night!

4 Dog Mother
07-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Last night Carl and I went shopping. Christy and the kids and all the dogs were home. Christy was playing with the kids out front. She heard Taggert barking out back but she just thought somebody had not brought him in from earlier. She had to go back into the house to get something and noticed that the screen to the sliding door was open. She looked out back and didn't see any dogs. She asked Jasmine to count dogs to see if anyone else was missing. Jasmine told her all were there and accounted for - Jack is usually sleeping in our room or somewhere out of the way so I guess she missed him.
Anyway, Christy was panicked because she couldn't leave the two kids alone while she looked. We were only going to be gone a short time so neither of us took a cell phone. So she called the neighbors and asked for their help. Then she grabbed some leashes and the kids and started walking - she saw Taggert head into a corn field behind some houses across the street. So she went after him. Ken started at the far end of the street - neither of them were sure they would find him in the corn. Christy then heard some rustling so she started to call him and just make a noise. Soon he came out - hot and panting - and actually let her grab him (he is my runner - at all costs we try to keep him from running because he just doesn't care about coming back). I think he got scared in the corn because he couldn't find a way out!

She took him back home and put him in his kennel. She then saw a neighbor from the other street coming down the street with Jack who she did not know was missing also. The neighbor said she came outside and there Jack was - he came up to her - he loves for people to pet and rub his ears - and first she was going to shoo him away - and then she realized that maybe he was lost. So she looked on his tag (which is why all of mine wear their tags all of the time) and started to bring him home. Thank goodness. I really wouldn't want Jack to stay lost for any time.

After investigation she found the screen door had not been locked - and one of the dogs had to have pushed it open. I am actually surprised that Taggert is one of the ones to run though - before we bought this new screen door, one of the dogs (I think Snoopy who had to aways be with me) had pushed a hole in the screen and he was about the only one who stayed behind because he wasn't about to come through something that might touch him. Christy could have gotten a real surprise - all 8 dogs could have gotten away! All the girls are good about coming when called - and I think a couple of them would have just tried to find Christy adn the kids. But those boys!!!! I am sure if he had had a chance, Tucker would have gone too. With this new screen we usually lock it AND put some of the kids toys in front of it so they can't get to it very easily but air can still come it - and if no one is in the house it is closed - I don't know who left it like that but I have a feeling since that is manland in the evenings that it might have been the man of the house.

I am just thankful we keep the collars with their tags on it on them all the time. It was so nice for the lady to bring Jack back. Another time Taggert got loose and I got in the car to try to find him because he runs the lenght of the neighborhood when he does get loose - we ran into another neighbor with him - I had the windows open calling Taggert, Taggert and she still asked me for the informatioon on his tag. (address etc.) Like I would claim any wondering dog for my own!

Taz_Zoee
07-24-2008, 10:17 AM
Oh my! I'm so glad this has a happy ending. That must have been scary for Christy. And isn't it nice to have good neighbors? :)

Ginger's Mom
07-24-2008, 10:50 AM
Wow, my heart dropped when I saw the title to this thread. I am glad that both boys are home and safe. Shame on them for giving their family such a scare. ;) Neither of my girls were runners, but Taz has shown that tendency, and that scares me. Hope they have had their adventure for this year and that they stay close to home from now on (unless Mom and Day are with them, of course).

pitc9
07-24-2008, 11:08 AM
OMG... I'm SOOOO happy they're back home!

shais_mom
07-24-2008, 12:10 PM
- I had the windows open calling Taggert, Taggert and she still asked me for the informatioon on his tag. (address etc.) Like I would claim any wondering dog for my own!
well if she knows how many dogs you have at your house - she MIGHT think that! ;)
:D :p
I'm so glad they were rescued safe and sound! I bet Jack was wore out!

lizbud
07-24-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh wow, my worse nightmare.:( I am so happy Christy acted quickly
and that your neighbors helped round them up. Like you said, it could have been worse (all the dogs could have gotten out):eek:

I noticed just the other day that Smokey's nametag has come off his
collar & I've been looking everywhere for it. This story has confirmed it for
me & I'm getting a new one tomorrow for sure.:)

Cinder & Smoke
07-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Jack and Taggert Ran Away Last Night!

:eek:

Speaking from VAST experience, having "misplaced" many a Mutt - not only mine
but also the "borrowed ones" I've been Dawg sitting for - I can really sympathize. :(

Cinder and SmokeMutt aren't really *runners* - but it's not unheard of for them to
"take a hike" and forget to return in a timely manner! :mad:
Bowser was a different story - he felt the need to HUNT after dark ...
and the lil Brat combined his poor hearing with selective hearing to render himself
Stone Deaf when he trotted off to the woods on an expedition.

And then The Loaners ... NOT phunn when you loose someones ELSE's dog!
* How long do we *holler* on the front porch?
* When do we jump in the Rescue Bus and start searching?
* How late is 'too late' to call all the neighbors?
* Should I have posters printed?
* Do I have a poster Picture to use?
* What wild promises should I make to The Guy upstairs?

GLAD the FurBoys made it back home, safe & sound.
:)

Freedom
07-24-2008, 04:15 PM
"Just having a little adventure, mom. But that corn really is confusing!"

Oh my, because all is well, I did enjoy reading about Taggert in the corn field. :D Sounds like he got a it more than he bargained for; and serves him right for taking off without a human in tow!

Poor Christy, having to keep track of 2 kids and 8 dogs; I do hope you reassured her as well. What a scare!

ramanth
07-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Oh goodness what a scare! I'm just so glad they were both found quickly. :love:

chocolatepuppy
07-24-2008, 04:40 PM
Thank goodness both boys are safe back at home!

Grace
07-24-2008, 04:41 PM
Wonder if they were trying to make it back across town to the dog park??

Really glad, for everyone's sake, that they were rounded up so quickly.

K9karen
07-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Yikes! The thead heading scared me to death too! *Calms down*
Boys will be boys I guess. :rolleyes:
I'm just relieved the escape artists are save and sound.
*whew*