PDA

View Full Version : What food do you feed?

lute
07-22-2008, 02:52 PM
It's been a while since there has been a thread on the dog food we feed. What do your puppers eatin?

Chloe, Beanie and Gracie all get Canidae All Life Stages. Talon has a minor food allergie and gets Canidae Lamb and Rice. The dogs also get the occational Whole fryer chicken or some other raw meat.

Freedom
07-22-2008, 03:43 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers' Soul dry kibble. I add warm water, it makes a gravy.

For Sugar, Lacey and Marlin, I alternate, one night I add canned pumpkin, the next I add yogurt.

Ozzy has 3 tablespoons of canned Merrick Turducken added to the kibble each night.

CathyBogart
07-22-2008, 03:51 PM
Jasper eats Innova EVO.

Jessika
07-22-2008, 04:39 PM
I feed my dogs Canidae, and I'm aware of the outsourcing to Diamond and recent formula changes, but to be honest... with the price for a GOOD food nowdays its so hard to find one within my budget... I think I'll stick with them unless my two don't take so well to the new formula.

Spiritwind
07-22-2008, 05:08 PM
My puppies are currently eating Canidae All Life Stages...

My adults get a mixture of Canidae and Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. I used to have a couple dogs that did best on Diamond naturals, so they got straight diamond naturals.. and the others got Canidae, however this past winter I just started mixing the two and its worked great for them...

They get it mixed with a little bit of warm water and 1/2 a can of canned food (1/2 can between 5 adults... so not a lot of canned - but its how my handlers feed the client dogs, so I started feeding mine that way)...

3muttsandaboston
07-22-2008, 05:19 PM
My 4 get Nature's recipe.

Tollers-n-Dobes
07-22-2008, 05:46 PM
Dance eats raw, and the others are currently on Canidae Lamb & Rice.

Kfamr
07-22-2008, 05:59 PM
We recently switched to Wellness CORE. :)

binka_nugget
07-22-2008, 06:00 PM
All three are on raw. After trying Innova Evo and various puppy formulas, I finally got Keeva to gain weight after switching to raw.

Aspen and Misty
07-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Nova and Konnor eat Taste of the Wild due to Konnor's food alleries. My foster dogs Chubbs, Simba and June eat Pro Plan Adult and my foster puppy's Koal and Skylar eat Pro Plan puppy for medium sized dogs (I have a lady who gets Pro Plan at a discounted rate for me since I rescue). I have to admint Pro Plan is doing a pretty good job at keep everyone (but Skylar's) stools normal and their coat and skin soft and healthy. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Ashley

anna_66
07-22-2008, 06:41 PM
As of now we rotate between RAW and Blue Buffalo.

dreamparkingspace
07-22-2008, 06:52 PM
Shawnee - Wellness Core Original Formula
Tatum - Wellness Super5Mix Chicken Recipe
Hector - Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog Lamb

Glacier
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
When we feed kibble, it's Acana. Premium aka "blue" in the summer. Performance aka "red" in the winter. Ozzy eats Acana Extreme year round since nothing else keeps any weight on him.

The senior girls eat Ripley Ranch Holistic Senior. Mainly because a friend of mine sells it and I like to support her and Paxil will eat it with some regularity. That dog is a hard keeper.

Their diet is heavily supplemented with raw meat, mostly wild game and fish, especially in the winter. I have 8 freezers for dog food meat!

Pam
07-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers' Soul dry kibble. I add warm water, it makes a gravy.

That's what Bella and Ripley eat too. In the morning they eat it dry and in the evening I moisten it to make a little gravy. Oh, I also feed the "Light" variety because Miss Bella could stand to lose a pound or two. :p

Seravieve
07-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Wow.. to all of you who feed different dogs different foods, youre amazing.
That's gotta be a lot of work! Three dogs and three foods.. shoot. I couldnt handle it.

We're feeding Nature's Recipe: Lamb & Rice Kibble. Right now Bunny eats it plain in her eat-slower bowl. Eli gets kibble plus some water in his regular bowl. He wont eat it dry, he'll take a mouthful, walk away from his bowl and spit it all over the floor. For the past two weeks we've been mixing 1/2 can of wet food with Zeke's kibble in his eat-slower bowl.

Had Nutro Ultra canned but it was chunks so that didnt work well, now I bought Nutro Max and some Natural Choice wet foods that are the regular non-chunk stuff. Works well to stir it up and mash down in there. REALLY slows him down because he has to lick it out. Otherwise he chokes on the kibble plain. Bunny and Eli do get some little tidbits of wet food 'cus I just cant help myself. :p

Someday when we make more money and quit with all the home improvement projects, I'll feed them Blue Buffalo 'cus they REALLLY like it. =)

Sidenote: Anyone know why its hard to find a canned food without By-Products?! Not difficult, just hard to find an economical one that doesnt have them. Even Nature's Recipe puts them in the canned, but they advertise that theyre not in the Kibble.

Man, I'm windy tonight, sorry!

Flatcoatluver
07-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Zoey and Sage eat Innova EVO and T.j get's Instinct. They get a little bit of canned instinct at night, and I always wet there food with warm water or pumpkin.

AllAmericanPUP
07-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul..cause it's the best i can get around here
They were on Merrick but i moved back to my hometown and cant get that around here

pitc9
07-23-2008, 07:46 AM
Mine eat Pro Plan Sensitive Skin and Stomach.
When I adopted Sierra it took me a few months to find a food that didn't upset her tummy and this was the one! They've been eating it for 6 years.

Last summer I tried switching to Wellness and this was the outcome:
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b7ce36b3127ccebd8a9573e98900000026108AaMWTJi1cNT
Sore feet for Buddy :(and a vet bill for me.:mad:
I know it's not the best food on the market, but it's the best food for my pups.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-23-2008, 08:44 AM
My darling boys eat Pets at Home Adult Complete

lute
07-23-2008, 04:08 PM
My puppies are currently eating Canidae All Life Stages...

My adults get a mixture of Canidae and Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice. I used to have a couple dogs that did best on Diamond naturals, so they got straight diamond naturals.. and the others got Canidae, however this past winter I just started mixing the two and its worked great for them...

They get it mixed with a little bit of warm water and 1/2 a can of canned food (1/2 can between 5 adults... so not a lot of canned - but its how my handlers feed the client dogs, so I started feeding mine that way)...

Canidae is changing their formula???

Jessika
07-23-2008, 04:41 PM
Canidae is changing their formula???

AND they are outsourcing to Diamond.

http://www.canidae.com/new-formulas.html

Personally, I'm not too worried about the changes; for the price-range this food is still by-far the best you can get, and personally I can't really afford anything more expensive than this... this food is WONDERFUL for the price you pay when compared with other brands like Pro Plan or Nutro (at least in my area, the prices for those brands, same size bag, are about the same). So unless my pets start doing bad on the new formula I will not change... I can't really afford to at this point, unless its for health reasons that is.

cali
07-23-2008, 09:02 PM
I feed raw. I do usually keep kibble on hand though, either presidents choice cat food or Innova EVO RM, depending on money available and whather or not we can get to the store that carries EVO since they close at 5 and I dont get off work till 6 lol

king2005
07-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I feed Orijen 6 Fish (this particular bag was the chicken one for a change, Digi preferes fish kibble by FAR). I believe its only Canadian so I doubt most of you have heard about it. I have some images on my server, take a peek. Its really good stuff! However it stinks like fish & so does her poo :p

Bag Front
http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3475.JPG.html

http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3477.JPG.html

Back

http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3479.JPG.html

http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3478.JPG.html

http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3480.JPG.html

http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3481.JPG.html

11 diff languages, so just about anyone in our country can read it :)
http://kingrattus.net/gallery/v/Pets/Digi/Digis+Fancy+Smancy+Food/IMG_3482.JPG.html

Giselle
07-23-2008, 11:23 PM
Orijen is available in the States :) There are several suppliers in my state alone.

Lucky: Homemade w/ Innova EVO

Ivy + Giselle: Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul

molucass
07-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Deebo is on Solid Gold's dry food, "Just a Wee Bit Adult'

Alize' gets Solid Gold's Hundchen Flocken Puppy & WolfCub Puppy mixed.

Alize and her littermates ate that food from when they were weaned, and she has been on it ever since. At first though, she was just getting the Hundchen Flocken.

king2005
07-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Orijen is available in the States :) There are several suppliers in my state alone.

Good to know. Now when people ask me I can recommend it .

bckrazy
07-24-2008, 12:39 AM
Prey Model Raw.

As for occasional pre-made, I feed Farmore & Primal. And for occasional kibble meals, either Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, or Timberwolf.

MoonandBean
07-24-2008, 08:34 AM
I feel totally uneducated in this area. Sunny came to us already on Science diet puppy chow so we've kept her on it but she became obsessed with canned food after stealing it from the cats so we added Nutro Max Puppy...just a forkful mixed in. BUT...I've been a nervous wreck about Nutro ever since I heard it might not be safe. Should I switch to something like Evo or Buffalo Blue...where do you get these foods? I guess I'll be googling tonight :)

dreamparkingspace
07-24-2008, 09:24 AM
I hear great things about that Orijen brand and Honest Kitchen brand. My friend who owns 6 dobermans feeds 5 of them Blue Buffalo, but feeds her star dog Orijen brand and Honest Kitchen brand.

Ginger's Mom
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Ginger gets Merrick. It is not what I want her to have, but she really likes it. I had her on Evo, she did not like it, and she was gassy and had very loose stools. I continued to give it to her hoping it would change for about six months, it never changed so I mixed in some Merrick (it was all I could find at the time that had ingredients that I liked). Ginger loved it! Her stools are not as loose any more and she does not have gas. I do mix it with a little Evo, just because it is what I want her to have, but really she eats Merrick.

Okay, that was way to much information, wasn't it? LOL :D

cloverfdx
07-24-2008, 09:57 AM
Mainly RAW, but they get a bit of Eagle Pack adult as well.

JenBKR
07-25-2008, 01:23 PM

ooh I will have to try the warm water. We feed that to Roscoe (although the last few times we have bought his food they have only had the senior food, so we have pretty much switched to that....would it still work for the senior?)

Crikit
07-25-2008, 07:39 PM
ooh I will have to try the warm water. We feed that to Roscoe (although the last few times we have bought his food they have only had the senior food, so we have pretty much switched to that....would it still work for the senior?)

It should work for any type of food.

As for me, Kizmit, Tama, and Beaker all get fed Raw and Smudge and Winter are on Go Natural! Chicken Fruit and Vegtable.

finn's mom
07-26-2008, 09:16 AM
Freckles and Dudley eat Pinnacle, Finn eats raw meat (chicken, beef, pork, fish) and they all eat raw fruits and vegetables.

elizabethann
07-26-2008, 02:49 PM
Ginger gets Merrick. It is not what I want her to have, but she really likes it.

Why don't you want her to have Merrick?

That's what Fenway eats. His kibble is a mixture of Merrick & Fromm's. For canned, he gets Merrick. He also eats JoJo Louise's cat food sometimes and that is Fromm's and Natural Balance Limited Ingredients. :)

lute
07-28-2008, 04:46 PM
Yeah, why not Merrick?

I love Merrick food and wish they sold it more around here. I do buy it when I find it.

boomersooner
07-30-2008, 11:42 AM
We've always fed Cassie Muenster Natural Dog food which is manufactured in Texas. We buy it our our organic nursery. A few weeks ago we switched to one called Prairie, I think that is the name, which is made in New Zealand, and it contains all of the good stuff and none of the bad. The good thing about this food is that you can feed it from birth to old age. You rotate between the three varieties....I think there is venison, lamb, and something else....All I know is that Boomer used to just pick at his food...(maybe his age) but he gobbles this food down, and Cassie loves it, too.

imadognut
07-31-2008, 10:57 PM
Very surprising to see so many folks feeding a raw diet. I emy 5 dogs totally raw and have been feeding dogs raw for over 9 years. SOLD on it.

Glad to see it is finally becoming more popular and us raw feeders can come out of the closet, LOL

Carole
True Grit Farm