PDA

View Full Version : This critter needs to go! Pics..

Glacier
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
I like the wildlife that frequents my property. Sure it makes the dogs a little noisy but I love watching the moose, bears, foxes, wolves ect. Now that we are fully fenced none of the local wildlife poses a huge threat to my animals and we can peacefully co-exist. I could however do without this latest visitor!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/porky.jpg
Meet the porcupine my dogs treed this morning! Fortunately, he's on the other side of the fence so no quills have been left in dog noses.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/porky2.jpg
He needs to find a new place to hang out! I'd hate see him die just for being in the wrong place, but porcupine quill removal is a minimum of 300 bucks per dog. I'd really hate to deal with that! I've moved as many dogs as possible out of that area and hopefully, the porcy will move on soon!

CountryWolf07
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
WOW!

Is it really that big? Goodness, I've never seen one of that size.

Let's hope he goes away on his own. :)

Glacier
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Is it really that big? Goodness, I've never seen one of that size.

You're the second person who's seen that pic and said that! Apparently Yukon porcupines are bigger than in other places. He's a good size, but I've seen bigger ones around here!

edited to add...I just looked it up and apparently porcupines can range from 12 to 35 pounds. I'd guess that one is about 20 pounds.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Hehe, is THAT a porcupine?? I thought this SMALL animals only live on the ground!?? Or is this not the same as what we call "a hedgehog"?

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 03:58 PM
I don't think our hedgehogs leave their quills in people, or animals, do they?? We had pet ones at school, and they were nice from what I recall. Small too.

Glacier
07-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Or is this not the same as what we call "a hedgehog"?

Completely different from a hedgehog. The only hedgehogs here are the domesticated pet ones. Hedgehogs don't leave their quills behind when attacked. Porcupines imbed their quills in their attackers. They have to be pulled out, usually under sedation.

Freedom
07-21-2008, 04:47 PM
Fortunately, he's on the other side of the fence

So the dogs barking and making a fuss scared him up the tree even though they couldn't reach him?

Oh yeah, he is HUGE compared to what we see around here.

Tamara, your posts are ALWAYS so educational! ;)

Twisterdog
07-21-2008, 11:03 PM
I hit a porcupine with my car once, and I tell you, they are MUCH bigger than I thought they were. :(:eek:

Until that very sad and scary incident, I suppose I assumed they were maybe the size of a cottontail rabbit. Oh no. They are more like the size of a medium sized dog, with very short legs. It did considerable damage to the front end of my car.

Glacier
07-21-2008, 11:47 PM
I hit a porcupine with my car once, and I tell you, they are MUCH bigger than I thought they were. :(:eek:

Oh, I did that in high school. Coming home late at night ran over a porky. Course we lived on a rough gravel road and I never realized I'd hit anything beyond a pothole. Until the next morning when my Mom saw the carnage. Cleaning quills out of her car's front end was not fun!

Update on this guy...he has moved on. He fell out of the tree a couple hours ago. Apparently they fall quite often and it was very windy here today! I'm not sure where he went, but I hope he went far away into the back 40...where my dogs don't go! They went nuts when he fell. Muskwa has clearly learned nothing from his six porcupine incidents! He was the most determined to get through the fence!

I sent the pics Stuart who said it's a big male likely in his prime. Porkies have long lifespans for wild rodents since not many animals can hunt them successfully. The education Stuart doesn't use anymore was in enviroment and conservation officer so I'll take his word for that!

jesse_3
07-22-2008, 01:19 AM
SIX PORCUPINE INCIDENTS!!!:eek: Goodness Muskwa I would be careful!

That is good that Mr. Porcupine has taken another course of action and found somewhere else to roam!!

4 Dog Mother
07-22-2008, 08:13 AM
I didn't realize that porcupines got that large either. I hate to admit my ignorance but I didn't think they climbed trees either. Tamara you are a wealth of knowledge! I really enjoy learning the things you have shared with us. And I am glad none of the dogs were able to get too close. $300 a dog - wow! but I bet it is a tough job removing all those quills!

Pawsitive Thinking
07-22-2008, 09:12 AM
I didn't know they could climb trees :eek: maybe it was a newly acquired skill

Glacier
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
I didn't know they could climb trees :eek: maybe it was a newly acquired skill

LOL, no the North American species can climb trees. They usually do it to reach fresh growth on the trees, which they like to eat!

Glacier
07-22-2008, 11:06 AM
SIX PORCUPINE INCIDENTS!!!:eek: Goodness Muskwa I would be careful!

My vet told me that if he sees a dog twice for quills, he will continue to see them. If they don't learn the first time, they never will. He was certainly right with Muskwa and Kayleigh who I think has had four removals. Stuart had a theory that he kept doing because I take him to the vet for the removal so he doesn't remember how much it hurts. Well, last summer, he got into a porky out in the mine camp with Stuart. No vet for 600 miles, no one coming to town for days. So Stuart had no choice but to pull the quills himself. It made no difference that Muskwa felt the pain. He still wants a piece of that porcupine!

Karen
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
I remember my first dog, Sheba - best dog in the whole wide world - braced between my Dad's knees while he and Grandpa worked the quills out of her muzzle with pliers. She, with the incredible prey instinct, only tried to get a porcupine that one time. She was, I maintain, the smartest dog ever.

Every once in a while we'd spot one up in one of the trees in the woods, but it wasn't often. Maybe they learned from the Sheba incident as well, and, like the neighborhood cats, knew to take to the nearest tree at any approach!

kitten645
07-22-2008, 11:18 AM
I remember this story from a while back. I was horrified but thankfully the pup is okay. :eek:http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/missmeow645/untitled.jpg

Twisterdog
07-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow. I've NEVER seen a dog with that many quills in him. Usually the porcupine slaps the dogs once with it's tail in the face, and that is that. I would venture a guess that perhaps this poor unfortunate dog is the dumbest dog in the world, and simply kept after the porcupine. I'd say that's more than a couple slaps of the tail.

I agree about them not learning ... my ex's lab Bubba has gone after too many porcupines to count. He keeps pliers and gloves on a shelf by the back door. The dog will NOT learn.

Glacier
07-23-2008, 01:50 AM
Wow. I've NEVER seen a dog with that many quills in him. Usually the porcupine slaps the dogs once with it's tail in the face, and that is that. I would venture a guess that perhaps this poor unfortunate dog is the dumbest dog in the world, and simply kept after the porcupine. I'd say that's more than a couple slaps of the tail.

I agree about them not learning ... my ex's lab Bubba has gone after too many porcupines to count. He keeps pliers and gloves on a shelf by the back door. The dog will NOT learn.

That dog must be like Kayleigh. She gets hit with the tail and instead of backing off, she gets mad and goes back for more! That dog has more quills than she or Muskwa ever has, but they have both been seriously quilled before!

I wish they were all like Heyoka. He sniffed one years ago, got four quills lightly attached to his nose; howled like he was being tortured and came running back to me. I pulled the quills out on the spot with my leatherman(never go hiking without a leatherman). Heyoka and I went to get the truck while Kayleigh finished her attack on the porky! Heyoka's never gone near one again and Kay hasn't learned a thing!

moosmom
07-23-2008, 08:56 AM
It took me a while to figure out what exactly it was. Those needles kinda blend in with the tree he's hiding in. I never knew porcupines could climb trees.