PDA

View Full Version : Question re. veggie products in the USA (update #15)

Kirsten
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
My sister and her husband will come to the US for vacation this fall, they will be in the area around Las Vegas, as far as I know, and rent a camper.

My sister's a veggie like me, so she was wondering if there are vegetarian products such as soy sausages or veggie burgers available in American supermarkets. She's not sure if she can bring her own products with her because there are import restrictions for food when you come to the USA.

So, does anyone know if she can buy these things over there?

Thanks in advance,
Kirsten

Ginger's Mom
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Not sure about soy sausages, but veggie burgers and other vegetarian foods are readily available in US supermarkets. :)

CathyBogart
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Yep, lots of veggies over here too, I don't think it will be a problem. :)

Karen
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
There are whole sections of vegetarian products available in every supermarket I frequent!

Kirsten
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Thanks! :) I'll tell her, she'll be glad to hear that! :)

Kirsten

kt_luvs_kitties
07-21-2008, 01:27 PM
Yes. I buy them all the time. Whole foods has them, as well as walmart and Target. :D

My local grocery(food lion) carries many different choices;)

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Found this blog...
http://supervegan.com/blog/entry.php?id=909

http://www.happycow.net/north_america/usa/nevada/las_vegas/index.html#4228

A lot of our supermarkets have vegan areas now. I think it's wonderful.

There are also a lot of nutritional stores around that make their own sandwiches and breads and such.

http://www.gorawcafe.com/

http://www.rainbowsendlasvegas.com/

caseysmom
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Most of our local supermarkets have the organic section where those types of products are sold. I have a good friend whose daughter went to college at unlv...university of las vegas and she is vegan, I will ask her about restaurants and grocery stores for you.

Freedom
07-21-2008, 04:51 PM
There are whole sections of vegetarian products available in every supermarket I frequent!

this made me smile! Karen , you have to remember that you live in a very urban, cosmopolitan, area. I think she will have no problems in Las Vegas either.

Around here, you really have to go to Whole Foods or some other specialty store for any kind of variety. The grocery store has a few basics, that's it.

Kirsten
07-23-2008, 05:27 AM
Thanks a lot! :) Looks like my sis won't have any problems to find something to eat! :D

Kirsten

Barbara
07-23-2008, 11:04 AM
There will probably be more of that stuff over in North America than there is in Germany :)

Kirsten
07-24-2008, 09:20 AM
There will probably be more of that stuff over in North America than there is in Germany :)

Well, you may be right, actually ! :)

Kirsten

Cataholic
07-29-2008, 11:33 AM
this made me smile! Karen , you have to remember that you live in a very urban, cosmopolitan, area. I think she will have no problems in Las Vegas either.

Around here, you really have to go to Whole Foods or some other specialty store for any kind of variety. The grocery store has a few basics, that's it.

Well, Cincinnati sure ain't no Boston, BUT, we still have [I]plenty[I] of choice vegatarian-wise here in all of our supermarkets. My favorite brand, by far, is Morning Star. Not a big fan of Boca.

Freedom, where exactly are you hanging your hat?

Kirsten
07-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks! :)

I will tell my sister about the Morning Star products! :) I'm sure she will find something she likes! :)

Kirsten

Kirsten
09-24-2008, 08:18 AM
Well, Sonja, my sis, is in the US right now and I got an email from her today. :)

She likes it a lot and she said there's a lot of food available that she can eat as a veggie! :)

She also said the Americans are really nice people, and she enjoys being there. :) She has already seen the area around the Grand Canyon and felt like being in a movie. ;)

Kirsten