PDA

View Full Version : Confession time....

catnapper
07-20-2008, 08:34 PM
I know Callie needs monthly grooming. I refuse to spend $50 every month in having someone else groom her. so I, being the brave and loving doggy mommy I am, decided to but a decent set of clippers to groom Callie myself.

Do you see where this is going?

First off, I do NOT know how to operate grooming clippers. Not even the faintest idea. But I was determined to figure them out last night. I tried out several blade depths and went to town giving poor Callie's coat the worst butchering. I was a good 45 minutes into the masacre when hubby came downstairs and saw the sorry pup. She was bald in spots with loooong pieces in other spots.

So hubby wrestled the clippers from me and began working on repairing the damage. He had to use the shortest blade because I'd done such a bad job. After lots of hair flying all over the livingroom, Callie ended up looking pretty good.

My Golden Doodle now has a haircut that makes her look exactly like a Schnauzer. Yup, short shaved on the back and long hairs on the sides and legs.

As part of my confession:
1) I'd like to say I'm VERY sorry to Callie.
2) I'd like to thank hubby for doing an amazing job of fixing Callie (even if she does look like a Schnauzer)
3) Don't ask for photos any time soon because I don't want to have evidence of my stupidity all over the internet :p

Oh well.... perhaps this will humble me. I'm in the dog house and have been sentenced to life without clippers.

molucass
07-20-2008, 09:00 PM
I was hoping there would be pictures attached.. lol

It's ok! At least you tried. :) Good job hubby for saving the day.

caseysmom
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
Been there done that! I did not buy really good clippers and it was hell I decided it was worth every penny, I do only take bubba every 2 or 3 months though.

wolf_Q
07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
So you've realized its not as easy as it may look. ;) We often get people bringing their dogs in for us to fix after they've attempted it at home. Just have the groomer shave her short, like a #7-#10, she won't have that cute fluffy look, but it will last a few months so you don't have to spend $50 per month. I only groom Sydney (my parent's schnauzer) every 2-3 months, I clip her short so it lasts longer (she does get baths in between of course). Or if you want to attempt this again, get a pair of clippers with interchangeable blades, not ones that have different size plastic comb attachments. I bet she still looks cute, I think we need some new Callie pics anyway. :)

boomersooner
07-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Oh goodness....my dogs would be bald, probably if you turned me loose with a set of clippers...I can only imagine how difficult it is!!! But....Callie loves you anyway!!!

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I bought clippers for Zoee too. However I am lazy about the actual bathing part and end up taking her to Petsmart occasionally. But they never get it short enough like I prefer it. So when I get her home I trim her up some more. Mainly around the rear area. Yeah it looks bad for a while, but at least it doesn't get dirty (if you know what I mean).

Don't worry, it is hair and it does grow back. I'm sure Callie still loves you no matter what. :D :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-21-2008, 12:25 AM
At least you tried.:) I also bought some clippers to try to clip Ziggy's bottom area but her fur is so thick and I was way too chicken so it didn't work out very well. I just had to end up using a scissors and cutting some of her fur.

Now since it's been so hot here,we've been having such hot weather every summer,and I don't have any A/C, I decided it was well worth it to have all 3 of my long haired cats to go to the groomers for lion haircuts. I'd be way to chicken to do this myself and the $65 per cat was well worth it because it'll last a long time and they're so much more comfortable. The price included a bath, nail trim, and ear cleaning too.

Maybe next time you can talk Jen into helping you out since she's an expert at this kind of thing.;) I'd also love to see some pictures. I bet that Callie looks adorable.:)

jenluckenbach
07-21-2008, 05:34 AM
Does the saying "Don't quit your day job" mean anything to you? LOL ;)

Don't be so hard on yourself, grooming a dog is HARD work (there is a real reason why it costs so much), but not to worry......it is only hair, it will grow back. :) Just be glad you did not cut the skin (something I have seen all too often when owners get adventurous)

But I really think as part of your penance you need to post pictures. :D

ChrisH
07-21-2008, 07:34 AM
As an owner who regularly butchers her dog's haircut (but just with scissors) and always shows the result I say show those pictures! Bet Callie looks just fine. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/CwmmawrJet/Smiles/yes.gif

Pam
07-21-2008, 07:43 AM
much), but not to worry...... it is only hair, it will grow back. :)

After 30 years of grooming my own dogs I have done my share of *oops* haircuts as well. Even professional groomers have off days. When I would occasionally take Bella to the groomers they never did the pom on her tail correctly and it drove me crazy, especially since I was paying for that mistake. :p In a month or so no one will ever know. :)

sirrahbed
07-21-2008, 07:48 AM
We had a series of poodles when I was a girl and my mom did her own creative clipping. I remember laughing while she cried and her goofs. After awhile, they always got a summer buzz cut, even if it was not summer.

Good for you trying it out Kim. :)

I agree that photo penance is needed though.

Freedom
07-21-2008, 08:40 AM
Been there, done that, STILL do!

1. It WILL grow back
2. It is summer; a short do is OK
3. Practice, practice, practice!

I found a great on line guide for grooming my bichons. I book marked it, review it regularly. Of course, mine never come out looking like the photos but eh! Who cares, they look better than when I started!

Don't let this stop you. You need to try it over and over, you WILL improve. And it is great bonding time with your pup.

Shelteez2
07-21-2008, 08:59 AM
I too have seen my share of owner grooms... but nobody is perfect on their first try. While I think $50 is super cheap for a haircut on a doodle (I charge $90-$100) there is nothing wrong with wanting to do it yourself to save money. If you want you can post pics and I'm sure the groomers will help critique and give you pointers. It would help to also show which clippers you bought and which blades you bought. If you want you can send me pics privately and I can help you out. I can also take pics of dogs as I'm grooming them so that you will have a visual reference.
Don't worry, Callie doesn't know she looks silly (unless you keep pointing and laughing at her) and it is hair, it will grow back. :)

4 Dog Mother
07-21-2008, 10:09 AM
I started trimming my own dogs hair a few years ago. It seems that a lot of the groomers around here don't really know how to do an airedale and after paying a lot of money for sloppy jobs, I thought I could do as well as them - plus Jack doesn't really like the true Airdale cut -he hates having his legs especially brushed.

I asked Amy (Nebo's mom) to recommend a set of clippers and I bought them. And I have posted on here that I truly appreciate groomers jobs and the amount they get paid now. It takes a lot of work and a lot of time for me to trim the dogs the way I want them. I usally trim Dazzi and Taggert once at the beginning of summer and then maybe again have way through the summer. Jack gets shaved a little more often. All 3 could use a trim now and I should do it soon before it gets too long and it takes longer to do. I am also thinking of keeping both Taggert and Dazzi a little shorter year round. I think they both look better and there is not as much hair floating around. I must have been half asleep when I started Dazzi's this spring - I looked at the right blade but my had picked up one of the shorter ones and I didn't realize it at first. Poor Dazzi came out with a "buzz".

Post pictures of Callie, please. I would love to see what she looks like shaved down. Taggert's hair becomes so much lighter underneath. Sometimes it is hard to remember that is Taggert with that light almost blond hair.

catnapper
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Ok, ok I'll post pictures! :D

Hubby went back and did some more touch-up and she looks even better. unfortunately the pictures don't truly represent how badly I butchered her. It doesn't look so short in the pics -- trust me, its short!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/backside.jpg
You can also see where she still needs a little more trimming to even things out.

From the front, there's no change!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/frontside.jpg
Hubby just concentrated on her back and left the rest.

Can you believe what she did to me?!?!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/kasdesign/sideview.jpg

I am MUCH better with scissoring the fur. I scissored her legs 2 weeks ago and did a good job if I say so myself. Funny story..... I was telling my boss how I trimmed the fur off the dog's legs. The look on his face was one of sheer terror. I looked at him and said, "You do realize I'm talking about the puppy, right?" He thought I was talking about Nicki, and that I was trimming her fur after she went to the RB. :eek:

Anyway, Callie is a super patient girl and behaved the whole time I botched her shave-job.

kimlovescats
07-21-2008, 10:52 AM
Don't worry, hubby and I did that with sweet AnnaBelle! We were worried about taking her to the groomer once she became paralyzed! Well, thankfully, we have a wonderfully patient groomer who absolutely adores AnnaBelle now! Good thing, too!:D

jenluckenbach
07-21-2008, 11:20 AM
She looks fine!! (here I was expecting to see a bald nekkid dog :eek: )

Let me know what you bought and maybe I can guide you enough to be willing to try again. ;)

Remember, going shorter is GOOD if you want the clip to last longer.....and MANY dogs can look very good with a short clip.

Taz_Zoee
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
OMG! I think she looks great!! It doesn't look like you messed anything up. Just keep practicing and it will become easier each time.
What I do with Zoee is start off long and gradually go shorter.

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 12:22 PM
Where exactly did you goof, cause she looks good, lol.

The only one I trim around here is Sophie (cat) because she gets messy around her butt. She's got long, fine, flyaway fur, and it just never stays clean. I think I'll have to do Calloway from now on too, so he doesn't end up with hotspots on his butt again. I actually use a hair trimmer that my one boyfriend left here. It's easy to handle, and has guards on it so I can't get too close or nip them. It's just a dinky thing, so, it will do for the kitties, lol.

jazzcat
07-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Aww, I think she looks cute. She'll probably enjoy the shorter fur for summer.

Don't feel bad, I use to cut my poodle's hair when I was a teenager. Poor guy, nobody believed he was a purebred poodle because it always looked so bad. Disney was luckier because I always took her to the groomer but trying to save money I'd often let her get too shaggy.