PDA

View Full Version : Taz/Paizly Great Update #17 :)

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok, I looked through some other threads about introducing cats. I am doing everything mentioned. But I have one question.
Should I just let them hiss and growl at each other? Let them work it out? The only thing about that is Taz is three times bigger than Paizly. And while I would like to think he wouldn't hurt her, I honestly have NO idea. He's never done more than hiss, growl and sorta swipe at her....so far.
So far what I've been doing is letting them hiss and growl for a while and then I'll remove Paizly from the situation. She just wants to play and lunges at Taz. But then sometimes she will hiss too. It is getting better, because Taz is not hiding and he will actually go into the same room where Paizly is. And we just noticed today that he does seem more relaxed in general.
So anyway....let them work it out or control it?

jazzcat
07-20-2008, 04:02 PM
With the cats I've introduced I finally learned to just let them work it out. Of course I'd keep an eye on them until you are sure things are settled. With my guys I'd keep them apart when I wasn't at home to oversee things, especially when dealing with kittens/adults. I think Rumor hissed at Moxie and Decker for a solid year.:rolleyes:

The main thing is to just introduce them slowly, make sure to give Taz lots of attention to cut down on jealousy and just let them make friends on their own terms.

Sounds like Taz is already doing well going into the same room and being more relax. I'll bet they'll be friends in no time (or in my cat's cases at least learn to coexist).

catmandu
07-20-2008, 04:23 PM
I THINK THAT TAZ IS JUST TRYING TO ESTABLISH THAT HES THE BOSS CAT, AND THAT PAIZLY BETTER MIND HER MANNERS:cool:
POUNCER AND MR SCRAPPY GOT OFF TO A ROUGH START , SO BAD THAT I THOUGHT I MIGHT HAVE TO REHOME MR SCRAPPY, BUT THEY MADE A PACT, AND BECAME THE BEST OF FRIENDS.:love::love::love:
YOU HAVE TO HAVE PATIENCE, AND LET THEM WORK THINGS OUT:cool::love:

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the replies you two.
And yes, I am taking it slowly. Paizly stays in her room when we are not home, at night or even if we just can't keep an eye on her during the day.
Ok, that's what we thought we should do....let them work it out under our supervision. Good, I'm glad to hear we are doing the right thing.
But do you say anything to them while they are hissing and growling? We've been telling Taz it's ok or knock it off. And we'll tell Paizly to calm down or whatever. Should we just not say anything? I just want to let Taz know he is okay and we aren't going to let this new girl take over. LOL

Moesha
07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
Morgan is a very laid back, accepting kind of kitty. When I brought Aroara home, he wasn't overjoyed at her presence. She had her room and stayed there quite often. She still likes to go in there with her bed. She eats in there all the time, partly because I can't let Morgan get her food. Aroara did what kittens do, played! Her favorite toy was of course Morgan's tail. That made him so mad! He was 19 pounds and she was 3. I watched them closely and eventually as Aroara grew up, they became better friends. I would reassure him and give him lots of attention. I was the oldest child and knew how having younger siblings felt. I think you're doing a fine job and are on the right track!

ETA: Aroara has been here almost 2 years. And now that she is confined completely inside the house because of the hole in her head, she is driving Morgan crazy. It's not exactly play and it is not exactly fighting. She is rough and he screams like a baby and runs. She takes off after him. She runs up the seat of the recliner, hops on the top, and then leaps off the back onto Morgan. Someone has been hissing today. Not mean hissing, but warning hissing I think. I think it is Morgan wanting to just be left alone.

jazzcat
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
If the hissing and growling is excessive I would say something or see about breaking it up but only if it goes on and on and sounds like Taz is getting worked up. I'm not kidding you, Rumor hissed and growled every time she saw Moxie and Decker for no less than 6 months and she would still hiss off and on for a year. It got old!

Taz_Zoee
07-20-2008, 11:21 PM
Moesha, I was the annoying younger sibling. :p I followed my sister everywhere and it drove her nuts!

Jazzcat, luckily it hasn't been excessive hissing/growling. Like I said it's actually becoming less frequent. But I do feel bad when he comes to see me and she is there. So I just put her in her room so I can spend quality time with Taz.

Thanks for everyones replies and advice! :) I'll keep you updated on the situation. :D

krazyaboutkatz
07-20-2008, 11:40 PM
It sounds like you're doing well and you've received some very good advice.:) With Pearl, Starr, and Ziggy, I just let them roam around and usually within 3 days to 1 week all of the hissing had stopped. I didn't have an extra room to put them in so they couldn't be introduced as slowly as I would've liked them to be. I'm sure that Taz will eventually accept Paizly and maybe he'll even start playing with her. Good luck.:)

CathyBogart
07-21-2008, 12:06 AM
That's exactly how I introduced Paizly to Sherpa. If Sherpa got TOO upset, I'd take her away and spend some time with him. Otherwise, I let them work it out. He bopped her a few times, but nothing serious.

Taz_Zoee
07-21-2008, 09:57 AM
Well, yesterday afternoon I was very happy when Paizly went into Taz's bathroom and Taz didn't hide under the sink. He actually walked right past her (in extreme slow motion) and even sniffed her tail. I was also pleased that Paizly didn't pounce on him trying to play.
Then later I walked out in the family room and Paizly was on the chair and Taz was about 3 or 4 feet away on the floor just laying there. :D There is a light at the end of the tunnel. WooHoo!!
One of these days I hope to post some pix of them either snuggling or playing together. That would be a happy day!

kimlovescats
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
:DIt sounds like they are already getting very close to calling a truce! It just takes time for them to realize that they can both have their special place in the family!

jazzcat
07-21-2008, 11:11 AM
Well, yesterday afternoon I was very happy when Paizly went into Taz's bathroom and Taz didn't hide under the sink. He actually walked right past her (in extreme slow motion) and even sniffed her tail. I was also pleased that Paizly didn't pounce on him trying to play.
Then later I walked out in the family room and Paizly was on the chair and Taz was about 3 or 4 feet away on the floor just laying there. :D There is a light at the end of the tunnel. WooHoo!!
One of these days I hope to post some pix of them either snuggling or playing together. That would be a happy day!
Wow, if only one of my intros would have progressed that quickly.

I bet you'll have that picture in no time!

susanswatlin518
07-21-2008, 05:00 PM
I REALLY THINK ALLOWING THE CATS TO WORK IT OUT THEIR OWN WAY IS BEST. I WAS ALSO VERY AFRAID WHEN IN AROUND 2006 I WENT TO A LOCAL ANIMAL PROTECTIVE PLACE AND FELL IN LOVE WITH A BEAUTIFUL BLACK AND WHITE MALE TUXEDO SAMMY. I ADOPYED HIM AND BROUGHT HIM HOME TO SLOWLY MEET PEPPER-A FEMALE SOMESTIC SHORTHAIR WHO IS A TOTAL PRINCESS/DIVA. IT HAD BEEN HER AND I ALONE FOR SOME TIME AFTER A PREVIOUS CAT PASSED AWAY IN 2005. PEPPER AND I MOVED TO A VERY NICE APARTMENT WHERE IT CONTINUED TO BE JUST US LADIES. WELL-WHEN PEPPER REALIZED SAMMY WAS STAYING SHE REALLY WAS AFRAID AND JEALOUS AND GROWLING BECAME COMMONPLACE WHERE SHE NEVER DID BEFORE. GROWLING AT ME AND HISSING AT SAMMY. SAMMY IS HALF THE AGE PEPPER IS. THEY ARE BOTH SPAYED/NEUTERED . GRADUALLY THIN GS HAVE CALMED DOWN AND NOW THEY CAN ACTUALLY BE SEEN ON THE BED TOGETHER-BUT A FEW FEET AWAY MIND YOU! PEPPER HISSES FOR A SECOND OR TWO WHEN SAMMY WALKS UP TP HER BUT HE RUNS AWAY AND DOESN'T SEEM PHASED! I TELL BOTH OF THEM I LOVE THEM AND NEED THEM. I JUST GOT A COMPUTER FOR THE FIRST TIME THIS PAST YEAR AND PEPPER SITS OVER BEHIND WHERE THE FAN BLOWS. SAMMY IS GENERALLY ON THE BED. HE AND I LOVE THE MEERKAT MANOR DVDS I HAVE. PEPPER WILL RUN IN AND JOIN ME ON THE BED-PURRING LIKE CRAZY. THE MOMENT SHE HEARS SAMMY SHE DIVES OFF AND HISSES A BIT THEN IS GONE. i HAVE ALWAYS FED THEM IN SEPARATE BEDROOMS WITH 2 LITTERBOXES. WE ARE DOING FINE. JUST GIVE LOVE AND RESPECT AS WELL AS SPACE TO THEM-GGOD LUCK;);););):love:..SUSANSWATLIN518

mamaducky
07-21-2008, 07:24 PM
First of all, congratulations on the new arrival! That's always an exciting time.

I'm so happy to hear that your introductions are going so well, but boy, am I ever jealous! We've had Meg since the end of November, and I still have to keep her and Zorro separated.

At the beginning (for the first few months) they tolerated each other, and then it got worse instead of better between the two of them. Now I have to keep them in separate rooms for Meg's safety -- she weighs 11 pounds to Zorro's 18 -- and I had to have the poor girl to the vet twice when she had abscessed Zorro bites. I was absolutely stunned to see this side of Zorro, as in the six years we've had him, he's always been a very loving guy, and on the timid side. Who knew? :eek:

Now, I can tell you that in the book "Cat vs Cat" by Pam Johnson-Bennett (http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Vs-Keeping-Peace-When/dp/0142004758/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b), she advises very strongly against letting them "work it out," since it is her belief that cats do not have the same social hierarchy system as dogs. Whereas dogs will have problems until they've established who is the "alpha dog", she says cats don't come to a similar understanding -- they may well keep wanting to be "alpha cat", and that if the "working out" turns to hostility, it can be pretty bad!

Now, all that said -- if what you're doing is working, then it's the right thing to do. I am firmly convinced that our cats read our animal behavior books at night while we're sleeping, and laugh at us among themselves at all the fuss and bother we go through to take good care of them...!

Hugs to you all,
Diana

Taz_Zoee
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the advice, it helps my confidence knowing Taz is not the only kitty to have an issue.

Well, we had a break through, sorta, last night. Bruce was on the couch with Taz on his right while Paizly was playing on the left. No hissing, growling or anything. Then Taz walked around the room with Paizly bouncing off the furniture without a sound. And for some reason, curiosity I guess, Taz ventured into Paizly's room. So of course Paizly followed and when she got close to him he growled and hissed. But it is definitely becoming less and less. :D :D

I also discovered Paizly is still scared of new people. Bruce's mom stopped by on Sunday and when she walked in the room Paizly ran and hid. Then again, when you go into her room she will do the Halloween arched back kitty stance at you at first until she realizes who it is. LOL

So we are making progress. I am very happy about that. And I want to thank everyone for their support. Gosh, I can't imagine how I got through life without Pet Talk. :D

jennielynn1970
07-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Gosh, kitten antics!! I haven't dealt with kittens running around since I had Boris I think, and that was 6 years ago! :eek: I've had some 9month to a year olds around, but they still don't have the same energy as kittens.

I still intervene on the behalf of the adult cats here when things seem to get too "hairy" or tense. Zach is good at causing tension, lol. He has started reacting very well to my squirt bottle (runs when I pick it up now). Other than him, the others seem to get along fairly well. A few are the "I just want to be by myself" mind of cats, and some others like to be in pairs, but all in all, they're fairly good.

Hope that things continue to improve with Paizly and Taz!!

Taz_Zoee
07-23-2008, 12:59 PM
Bruce just called me and said Taz and Paizly are PLAYING together!! I got tears in my eyes. :D :D
I could hear Taz meowing and I asked what kind of a meow was that. Bruce said he wants her to stop and she won't. LOL

Wow, that happened so much quicker than I expected it to. I mean, I will still monitor them, of course. But I am thrilled!!!

Moesha
07-23-2008, 04:31 PM
It's been 2 years and I still hear that meow from Morgan! I'm so glad to read this update!

CathyBogart
07-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Yay!! I'm so happy to hear that she won him over so quickly!! I guess Taz can't resist the tortietude either! :D

catmandu
07-23-2008, 05:44 PM
THATS GREAT NEWS ABOUT TAZ AND PAIZLEY.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1037.jpg
I HAVE BEEN THROUGH MORE OF THESE INTRODUCTIONS TAZ, THAN I CARE TO REMEMBER, BUT IVE LEARNED ONE THING.JUKE JOINT JOSEPH.
OUR HUMANS LOVE IT WHEN WE GET ALONG, AND THAT MEANS LOTS OF TREATS FOR ALL OF US!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1077.jpg
AND KITTEND GROW INTO GREAT SUGGLE BUDDIES , JOHN HANCOCK.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/cat%20angels/cats1094.jpg
AND PALS TO SHARE WITH, MICHAEL THE DREAM.
GO TAZ :love::cool::D:love:AND PAIZLEY:love:

Taz_Zoee
07-23-2008, 06:04 PM
Thanks guys! :D I can't wait to get home and actually see it for myself. :)
I will try to get a video and/or pictures soon.

krazyaboutkatz
07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm so glad to hear that things are working out much better and faster than expected.:) I can't wait to see some pictures or a video of the two of them playing together or lying close together.:D

rg_girlca
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm so happy to hear that Taz & Paizly are starting to get along with other and can't wait to see pictures of them together.:)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-23-2008, 10:57 PM
*YAY* I knew the old fella couldnt resist such an adorable baby for too long:p

Enjoy this time, they grow up fast!

And your package will be shipped Friday,I promise, I have been so busy lately, I just havent made it to the PO yet:o

Taz_Zoee
07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
Katie, you are so silly. You really do not need to send a package. You are so sweet. :)

So, I got to see a little of Taz and Paizly play last night. Taz is so funny because he will give the "leave me alone" meow while he is playing.