PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of any SUPER simple meals?

kt_luvs_kitties
07-20-2008, 04:39 AM
I will admit it, I am not a cook. I hate cooking, everything about it. My husband used to work nights, so when he got home he would have those frozen meals *hungry man* and that is what he ate. I would just pack him a lunch otherwise.

Now that he works a "normal" schedule. I have to cook dinner EVERY night, usually Mon- Thur, and then once on the weekends.

I need super simple recipes, without a million ingredients. So far I make very easy dishes, like baked or fried chicken, hot dogs, burgers, tacos etc...

Anyone know of any that are good and easy for a beginner? Thank you so much! Katie

Sirrahsim
07-20-2008, 07:19 AM
Taco Chili

1 can corn, undrained
2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can kidney beans, undrained
1.2 ounce package taco seasoning
1 lb ground beef.

Brown meat until cooked through, drain fat. Dump everything in the slow cooker. Cook low for 4-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.

I usally serve it over fritos and top it with cheese, onions, or sour cream.

Sirrahsim
07-20-2008, 07:23 AM
EASY Chicken Enchiladas

6oz southwest seasoned chicken strips (found near lunchmeats)
10 oz red enchilada sauce, divided
8 oz refried beans
4: 7 inch tortillas
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided

Toss together chicken, half of the cheese, and half of the enchilada sauce. Spread 1/4 cup refried beans down the center of each tortilla. Top with chicken mixture. Roll up and place seam side down in an 8x8 baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 400 for about 25 minutes or until heated through.

This can easily be doubled and put into a 13x9 pan.

Sirrahsim
07-20-2008, 07:26 AM
Bourbon Chicken

4 boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons minced onion
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup bourbon
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Mix all ingredients together in a big ziploc bag or covered bowl and marinate overnight. (Adds flavor but not neccessary to let it sit that long)
Pour into baking pan and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes.

We serve it over rice.

Sirrahsim
07-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Cream Cheese Chicken

1.2lbs boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 cup salsa
3 oz light cream cheese

Place chicen tenders, salsa, and taco seasoning in 3 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 5-7 hours. One hour before serving add the cream cheese. To serve, shred the chicken and serve it on toritllas.

Depending on the salsa you use you may need to thicken it by dissolving some corn starch in water and then mixing it in, but I've never had to.

Medusa
07-20-2008, 08:08 AM
Get yourself a copy of Betty Crocker's Good and Easy Cookbook. There are so many good recipes in it that you can prepare quickly at the end of a work day or that you can make ahead and freeze to be served later. Many of them take only 5 minutes to prepare and only 30 minutes or so to cook. There are lots of good quick soup and stew recipes, casserole dishes and skillet dinners, too. And if you and/or hubby like rice (I LOVE RICE), you're in luck. There's one skillet dish that takes only 5 minutes to prepare and 9 minutes to cook. You'll love this cookbook! :) Also, log on to www.foodnetwork.com. There are lots of quick meals on that site. (Can you tell that I love to cook? LOL)

Here's an example of a recipe; it's one of my favorites:

Ranch Chicken (serves 4)
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes

4 skinless boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 C ranch dressing
1/3 C Italian style dry bread crumbs
2 T olive or vegetable oil

1. Dip chicken into dressing; then coat w/bread crumbs.
2. Heat oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.

Cook chicken in oil 12-15 minutes, turning once, until outside is golden brown and juice is no
longer pink when center of chicken is cut.

Serve w/your favorite pasta or vegetables.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:08 AM
I love this... it's like Fettuccini Alfredo, but without the fuss (and without the fat sauce)

Low Fat Seafood Alfredo

1/4 c. margerine or butter
1 lb. scallops or shrimps
1 pkg. softened cream cheese
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 c. - 1/3 c. hot water
1/3 c. parmesan cheese
2 cloves garlic minced
Box of linguine or fettuccini

In a large pot, add pasta to boiling, salted water.

In a saute pan, cook garlic in margerine or butter on low heat. Add scallops or shrimps. Cook short time until scallops are done. Do not over cook(about 5 mins. if using bay scallops, the small ones). If using shrimps, you can use the pre-cooked salad size, and you just need to pop them in the butter to heat them through. Set on back burner to keep warm.

In a bowl, mix softened cream cheese with parsley and basil. Add the hot water. Stir until creamy. Set aside.

Add seafood-garlic mixture to pasta. Add parmesan cheese, and toss to mix. Add in the cream cheese mixture. Stir to combine.

Serve immediately with garlic bread.

This whole meal takes about 30 minutes to complete, because you can have different parts cooking at the same time.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:11 AM
One of my favorites!

Mom’s Meatloaf

1 lb. ground turkey
1 lb ground beef
1 lb. ground venison
1 pkg. french onion soup
2 egg whites
1/4 c. water
1/4 c. wheat germ(optional)
1/4 c. bread crumbs
BBQ sauce

Mix all ingredients (except bbq sauce) together with fork or hands. Put mixture into an oblong casserole dish and bake for 45-55 minutes at 350*. Top with BBQ sauce when almost done.

Serve with baked potatoes and a salad, and you're golden!

If you don't like or use ground venison or ground turkey, use all beef.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:12 AM
Yummy side dish

Spiced Moroccan Carrots

1 1/2 lbs. baby carrots
1/4 c. olive oil
4 Tsp. lime juice
1/2 Tsp. cumin
1/2 Tsp. cinnamon
1 Tsp. salt
3 Tbsp. fresh parsley, minced

Steam carrots until tender but not soft. Drain and cool slightly.

Whisk together oil, lime juice, spices and salt in a bowl. Add cooled carrots into the bowl. Stir in parsley when ready to eat. Can eat warm or room temp.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:14 AM
Another side dish, and it is so yummy! Zucchini is in season now too!

Zucchini Casserole

4 medium zucchini, sliced
3.4 c. carrots sliced in 1/4” pieces
1 onion, chopped
6 Tbsp. margerine
2 1/2 c. herb stuffing mix
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 c. sour cream

Microwave zucchini until slightly transparent. Saute onion and carrots in 4 Tbsp. margerine. Remove from heat and stir in 1 1/2 c. stuffing mix and soup. Gently stir in sour cream. Pour into large casserole dish. Melt remaining margerine. Add remaining stuffing cubes to margerine, toss together and top casserole with them.
Bake at 350* for 35-40 minutes.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:15 AM
Another quick zucchini recipe.

Zucchini Souffle

3 c. grated raw zucchini
1 small onion chopped
1 c. bisquick
4 eggs
1/2 c. oil
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 Tsp. parsley
1/2 Tsp. salt
1/8 Tsp. pepper

Mix all together. Put into greased baking casserole dish approx 8 x 11 inches. Bake at 350* for about 1hr.

boomersooner
07-20-2008, 09:26 AM
Okay, love this thread because I'm right in the same boat! Hate to cook!!

I have a super easy potato and pork chop meal, but I need to go and check the oven temp on the recipe, so I'll get back with it.....

kuhio98
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
First of all, you don't HAVE to cook EVERY night just 'cuz he's home at dinner time. Make a deal with him that he's in charge of dinner at least 1 night a week.

Secondly, if you hate to cook every night, make a large meal 1 night and heat the leftovers for the next night. We do that all the time.

Thirdly, get a crockpot. Throw in a roast and a bunch of veggies the night before. Plug it in when you get up in the morning and go on with your day. There are some great crock pot/one pot meal cookbooks out there.

I love to cook, but if I knew I had to do it EVERY day, I'd start to hate it too.

moosmom
07-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Hey Katie,

How about goulash?? It's browned hamburg mixed with elbow macaroni and tomato sauce. It's easy and quick.

columbine
07-20-2008, 09:59 AM
I like to cook BIG batches of one-dish meals and then freeze them in meal-sized portions. There's a certain smug sense of satisfaction that comes with pulling out a labeled block, pushing a few buttons, and dishing out a fabulous home-cooked meal...

Here's allrecipes.com's Dinner in an Instant (http://allrecipes.com/HowTo/Dinner-in-an-Instant/Detail.aspx) selection, sorted into 20, 30, and 45-minute meals.

One of my favorite "speed dinners" is pasta-n-sausage - stick a million knife holes in the sausage (or get a trustworthy kid to do that part) and microwave in a covered Pyrex container, cook your noodles or spaghetti al dente, and open a can of your favorite crushed or diced tomatoes. Add the sausage juice to the pasta too, chop up the sausages, serve with Parmesan cheese, and mangia!

Love, Columbine

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 10:02 AM
This is my dad's favorite goulash. It's from Betty Crocker.

Hungarian Goulash

2 lbs beef, cubed
2 tsp. minced garlic
2 Tbsp. Worcerstershire sauce
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2-3 tsp. paprika
dash cayenne pepper (or more if you like spice)
1 large sweet onion, chopped
1 1/2 c. catsup
1 c. water
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. dry mustard
1/4 c. cold water
2 Tbsp. flour

Brown beef with onions and garlic in a large skillet. In a crock pot, add water, catsup, all spices, worcestershire sauce and brown sugar. Stir well. Add beef, onion and garlic when they are cooked. Simmer for 3-4 hours (or on low all day in the crockpot). When ready to serve, mix water and flour together, and add to the goulash to thicken. Serve over cooked noodles.

This is even better the 2nd day.

Suki Wingy
07-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Make him cook!

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 10:09 AM
Oh, and I have to agree with Kuhio... YOU don't have to cook every night. Your husband should be cooking at least one or two nights a week. It aint the 50's!!

I love to cook, but I hate just cooking for myself. What I've been doing lately is putting most anything on the grill (also cause it's hot as heck inside to be heating up the oven).

I put veggies in aluminum foil w/ olive oil, salt and pepper, and put on a low flame on the grill. I've done this parsnips, carrots and potatoes. I love this with green beans or asparagus(it's soooo good when grilled).

I have been making toasted sandwiches on there as well. I take a roll, slice it, put cheese and lately, honey ham, on each side. I put them on aluminum foil, and place them on the top level of the grill and they are done and melty and delicious in about 5 mins. tops.

I even make french fries on the grill. I spray an aluminum foil cake pan with non stick spray, toss on the fries, salt, and put the pan on the grill.

The veggies and fries can go on at the same time. About 15 minutes later, add the sammies on the top level of the grill, and in about 5-7 minutes, you're done, and have a yummy meal!

Rachel
07-20-2008, 10:59 AM
When it comes to hating to cook, I have that very same gene.

Around here we like to keep it simple and quick. One thing we do perhaps every week is have an upgraded pizza. We start out with a simple frozen cheese pizza - we happen to like Jack's - and then add some of our own toppings: sautee some red and green pepper slices; sauteed chopped onions; mushrooms or sometimes add a bit of microwaved spinach or some thinly sliced tomatoes. You get the idea, just add what you like to the pizza and prepare it according to package directions.

Another suggestion is making a supper of salad. Start out with Romaine or baby spinach or red leaf lettuce or any other healthy greens. Then add your strips of cheese, maybe a little deli meat, sliced carrots, radishes, red onion, ...whatever you like on a salad. Serve with your bottle dressing and maybe a toasted English muffin.

We eat a few combinations of ingredients served over rice.

One example is diced green peppers, diced onions, chopped celery, canned chopped tomatoes, and (added last) canned red kidney beans. Served with some Jiffy corn muffins and a few pieces of cheddar cheese, it is nice and filling.

Let us know what you decide to serve and how it turned out. I could always use a few more ideas myself.

Grace
07-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Here you go - 4 ingredients.

REUBEN CHICKEN

2 chicken breasts – boneless and skinless
15 ounce can sauerkraut, drained. I use the Bavarian style.
4 slices Swiss cheese
1 cup Thousand Island salad dressing

I drain the sauerkraut for about an hour; then I squeeze the moisture out of it.

Place chicken breasts in a greased 8 x 8 baking pan
Cover with the sauerkraut
Place cheese evenly on top.
Pour salad dressing over cheese.

Cover with foil – bake in 325° oven for 90 minutes.

sparks19
07-20-2008, 11:15 AM
One of my favourites is Italian chicken

You just defrost how ever many chicken breasts you need... cut them into strips and marinade them Italian Salad Dressing with some mushrooms and then cook them in a pan. very yummy and super easy.

Pizza is one that I love to make. I don't do much of the cooking but I ALWAYS do the Pizza. I just get some dough mix from the store (you know the just add water kind lol) and then add whatever toppings and then put it in the oven and you're done.

the Campbell's food website has a lot of good recipes too :)

AdoreMyDogs
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Do you like Mac & Cheese? There's a recipe that I throw together that's not terribly healthy, but as long as you add fresh cut veggies (broccoli and/or sweet peas) it's not so bad.

I use the deluxe Kraft Mac&Cheese box (the kind that has the cheese sauce, not poweder).

While the noodles are cooking I add some fresh chopped broccoli and some sugar snap peas and sometimes baby carrots cut in half long ways. I cook the noodles and veggies about 2 or so minutes less then the minimum, to make sure they're al dante (sp?)

after the noodles are done and in strainer, in the pan I add the cheese sauce mix, a can of cream of mushroom or chicken, 3/4 can of milk, a can of tuna. Mix it all together and enjoy. You can also grate some cheddar cheese on top of the caserole, that's yummy too.

Not only is it easy, but it's cheap too!

Russian Blue
07-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Cream Cheese Chicken

1.2lbs boneless skinless chicken tenderloins
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
1 cup salsa
3 oz light cream cheese

Place chicen tenders, salsa, and taco seasoning in 3 quart slow cooker. Cook on low 5-7 hours. One hour before serving add the cream cheese. To serve, shred the chicken and serve it on toritllas.

Depending on the salsa you use you may need to thicken it by dissolving some corn starch in water and then mixing it in, but I've never had to.

I have been making this recipe forever! It's so easy! I place 4 frozen chicken breasts in a crockpot. Pour one large can of hot salsa over top and cook on high, 4 to 5 hours. For the last half hour of cooking, add chopped green onion, chopped mushrooms, black olives and a little cream cheese. I usually spice it up more as well, adding parsley, cumin, a little chili powder, whatever I have on hand.

It's the easiest thing to make and it's so great. Serve it over rice with a side salad.

Thirdly, get a crockpot.......... I love to cook, but if I knew I had to do it EVERY day, I'd start to hate it too.

I agree. The crockpot is my best friend. ;) We always do large batch cooking on the weekend, and then use leftovers during the week. I make spagetti sauce, BBQ meats, soups during the weekend. Then freeze individual portions to alternate during the week.

I would never have time to cook full meals every night during the week!

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 11:45 AM
How about Scalloped Potatoes

You can add ham and peas to it, and it's a meal, and it's all in one dish and baked.

3-4 cups sliced potatoes.
1 onion, diced
1 1/4 cup hot milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 350
Great a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish
Arrange potatoes in layers.
Sprinkle each layer with minced onions, ham, peas, salt and pepper, dot with butter.
Add 1 1/4 cup hot milk.
Bake uncovered about 1 1/4 hours.
Remove from oven, and let set for about 15 minutes.

Emeraldgreen
07-20-2008, 12:23 PM
QUICHE AND SALAD

This is a great summer meal and doesn't have to be complicated. You can buy the pie crusts already made. Take a large bowl, crack open 6 eggs, add about 3 or 4 cups of milk and mix it well with a fork. Toss in shredded deli ham and some shredded cheese with some salt and pepper and pour the mixture into the two pie shells and put in the oven for about half an hour or until the top is golden brown and the edges of the crusts too. You can freeze the other quiche for another night!
You can also dice up some green pepper, mushrooms and onions and pour a bit of olive oil on top with seasoning and microwave them for a couple of minutes or until they're soft and add that to the egg mixture.

p.s. when I take the pie shells out of the freezer, I take them out of the box and put them on the counter while I'm creating the mixture. I take a fork and make a bunch of holes in the bottom of both crusts. I pop the shells in the oven for a few minutes until they kind of start bubbling up and the bottom actually starts rising up. Then I take them out and put them on the counter until I'm ready to pour the mixture in. The reason I do this it because sometimes the bottom of the crust is a little underdone even though the rest of the quiche is totally done. I give the bottom a head start by heating it first.

Emeraldgreen
07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
COQUILLE ST. JACQUES (might be spelled wrong! LOL)

This one is soooooooooooo easy and very yummy!
Buy 2 cans of clam chowder soup.
Make some mashed potatoes or you could buy those fake ones but I can't eat those.
Heat up the soup.
Take a spoon and line two wide soup bowls with the mashed potatoes so the whole inside of the bowl has about a 1/4 inch or more of mashed potatoes.
Now pour in the clam chowder and then top with shredded cheese and serve with buns or crusty bread to dip in it.

You can substitute the clam chowder with any kind of creamy soup that you like but clam chowder is very filling so it makes a good 'meal'. :)

Emeraldgreen
07-20-2008, 12:40 PM
SIMPLE LASAGNA

These days you can buy lasagna noodles that don't need to be boiled first. They are called 'ready bake' lasagna noodles.

Buy your favourite jar of spagetti sauce, fry up some ground beef.

Take a rectangular (deep) baking dish and put a layer of ground beef with a bit of 'cold' sauce poured over that.

Layer with dry lasagna noodles.

Smear some ricotta cheese (you'll find this near the sour cream in your grocery store) and cover with a bit of sauce and some shredded mozza cheese (which you can buy already shredded).

Add some beef and continue layering until you're at the top. Cover with some more sauce and cheese and pop in the oven for about 45 minutes at about 375 degrees or until golden brown on top.

You can also buy frozen chopped spinach and let it thaw and squeeze out excess water and add some of this between the layers. No need to precook anything (except the beef of course!) as you add it to the dish and then bake it altogether.

Pam
07-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Great thread and I think we are all benefitting! ;) I actually subscribe to Allrecipes.com and have printed and used many of them. They are usually very simple, easy dishes and have ratings attached to them too. Other people leave comments and suggest ways that they have altered the recipes a little bit more to their liking.

My very favorite dinner happens the night after we have had chicken (breasts) on the grill and there are leftovers. I simply make a nice salad (ingredients of your own choosing) and then cup up the chicken into bite-size pieces and add it to the salad. It is a great meal and there is next to no fat depending on the dressing you choose. ;)

CathyBogart
07-20-2008, 01:00 PM
You don't HAVE to cook! If you hate it, why feel like you have to every night?

Anywho...here's one of my favorites...

Tortilla soup.

Into a pot, in whatever quantity you want:

Chicken broth
chopped up leftover cooked chicken
canned beans (pinto, black, garbanzo, whatever you like)
Hominy (If you can find it)
Salsa Verde
canned corn
a little salt and pepper

Heat it until it's hot, and add whatever toppings you have around when you serve it, including:

Chopped avocado
chopped green onion
sour cream
cilantro
tortilla chips
shredded cheese

Rachel
07-20-2008, 01:46 PM
EmeraldGreen's quiche recipe reminded me of the *breakfast for dinner* deal that I think is fairly common. A nice mess of scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and maybe sliced tomatoes and fried potatoes. The easiest way to make fried potatoes is to have them cooked and refrigerated first, but in a pinch you can fry them from raw, it just takes longer.

kuhio98
07-20-2008, 01:55 PM
I had another thought. I don't know your family situation, so forgive me if this doesn't apply to you...... But, when we got to be Jr. High/Middle School age, my parents put us kids in charge of dinner 1 night a week. We had to make something -- not order in or fast food. My parents got plenty sick of Hamburger Helper, but............. If you have kids, I really urge you to start this -- especially if you have sons. Your future daughter-in-laws with be forever grateful! :D

Emeraldgreen
07-20-2008, 02:01 PM
EmeraldGreen's quiche recipe reminded me of the *breakfast for dinner* deal that I think is fairly common. A nice mess of scrambled eggs, toast, bacon, and maybe sliced tomatoes and fried potatoes. The easiest way to make fried potatoes is to have them cooked and refrigerated first, but in a pinch you can fry them from raw, it just takes longer.

I agree! Breakfast for dinner is so much fun. We sometimes have pancakes and bacon and eggs for dinner and it is the best. Or a nice omellete. We are working on lowering our cholesterol right now so we've had to give up some of this stuff though. :(

I had another thought. I don't know your family situation, so forgive me if this doesn't apply to you...... But, when we got to be Jr. High/Middle School age, my parents put us kids in charge of dinner 1 night a week. We had to make something -- not order in or fast food. My parents got plenty sick of Hamburger Helper, but............. If you have kids, I really urge you to start this -- especially if you have sons. Your future daughter-in-laws with be forever grateful!

This reminded me of something we do at our house. I make dinner 3 nights a week and my hubby makes it 3 nights a week and for 1 night a week, we have 'MAKE YOUR OWN NIGHT'. This is a great night because you can make whatever you want for yourself while your hubby makes whatever he wants. I usually have a bean burrito and salad or something and he usually has mac and cheese or soup and sandwich. :)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Thank you all so much! I am going to try many of these recipes! I like how easy they are.. AND they sound great!

Hubby wont cook...PERIOD! He cooked one time for me in the 11 years we have been together.:rolleyes: And that was a frozen dinner, of salisbury steak, which I don't eat:p

I don't have children.. So it is just him and me eating!

I do usually order a pizza on Fridays, so that is a little help.

I don't know what I would do if I came home and he cooked.. Or even made me a sandwich:eek:

Again thank you all! I can't wait to try these out. I will update when I try them!:D

jenluckenbach
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
Something my Nana called DINNER IN THE DISH:

1 pound ground beef
1 can corn
1 can stewed or diced tomatoes (use already flavored ones ;) )

Brown the ground beef and add the other 2 ingredients. Eat after corn/tomatoes are heated.

TA DA! Can't be simpler!

jenluckenbach
07-20-2008, 05:31 PM
TUNA NOODLE CASSEROLE my all time favorite:

1/2 pound dry pasta (I prefer bow shapes)
1 can tuna, drained
1 can CONDENSED cream soup (ANY, cream of mushroom, celery, chicken, etc.)
milk

Optional:
shredded or crumbled cheese
bread crumbs

Boil pasta acording to directions until FIRM. Mix cooked pasta, tuna, soup and 1 soup can full of milk (and cheese if using). place in an oven safe dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs OR cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

YUM YUM (I always double the recipe)

carole
07-20-2008, 07:52 PM
This one is nice and easy.

You take a leek and chop at least half of it and line a casserole dish, then chop up enough mushrooms to also line the dish, take two breasts of chicken and sprinkle with paprika place in dish and then a can of creamy mushroom soup, use the whole can and mix with about 3/4 can of water, and pour over chicken, bake for about an hour in a reasonably hot oven, hubby loves it.

jennielynn1970
07-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Hey Katie... wasn't there one time, I'm positive it was Ricky who did this, you were gone, and the cats ran out of food, and he fed them bologna sandwiches and chicken noodle soup?! I remember you said Puff ate it, lol!!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-20-2008, 10:30 PM
YES! He made soup and sandwiches:rolleyes: I was at work really late, and he did not stop and buy them any:p

He also gave them leftover tacos one time, and be glad you did not have to clean up the pottys that night:o

critters
07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Try the "Taste of Home" Cookbooks, and the magazine is SUPER too!! Everything is very doable.

Ginger's Mom
07-21-2008, 08:27 AM
the cats ran out of food, and he fed them bologna sandwiches and chicken noodle soup?! I remember you said Puff ate it, lol!!

YES! He made soup and sandwiches:rolleyes: I was at work really late, and he did not stop and buy them any:p

He also gave them leftover tacos one time, and be glad you did not have to clean up the pottys that night:o

OMG, this made me LOL. :D I love it!

I am looking at some of these recipes, and I have to tell you they don't look super simple to me. :o

jenluckenbach
07-21-2008, 10:07 AM
I am looking at some of these recipes, and I have to tell you they don't look super simple to me. :o

jumps up and down, like a crazy person and says.....

MINE ARE!! MINE ARE!!

:p

Sirrahsim
07-21-2008, 10:32 AM
mine too:D

Grace
07-21-2008, 10:43 AM
And mine . . . . .

Sirrahsim
07-21-2008, 10:46 AM
May as well just come out and say it:D Jenn, your recipes look complicated but yummy! They have been printed out for a day when I'm feeling adventurous:D

Karen
07-21-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's a simple one:
1. Buy a package of frozen broccoli in sauce - any frozen veggie mix that come with sauce will do.
2. Boil water, make a bunch of pasta - any shape will do.
3. While the pasta is cooking, cook the frozen veggies, dump in a LARGE bowl.
4. Chop up some cooked chicken, ham, whatever protein you have leftover or handy.
5. Dump pasta, and chopped up chicken in the bowl with the veggie mix and pasta - stir well. If the sauce doesn't seem plentiful enough, dump in some grated cheese until it looks about right.

6. Done. Eat!

Sirrahsim
07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
Black Bean Burritos

1 can black beans, undrained
1 can refried beans
1 can corn, drained

Mix everything together in a saucepan, heat, spread on a burrito shell and top as desired.

These are a little bit plain but you can spice it up with a packet of taco seasoning or assorted spices. I made these 2 days ago and topped them with shredded lettuce, grated cheese, chopped onions, and tomatoes. :D I'm about to go have leftovers for lunch!

cassiesmom
07-21-2008, 11:29 AM
I really like breakfast food as supper -- especially omelets.

Omelet Recipe courtesy Alton Brown
Show: Good Eats
Episode: Zen and the Art of Omelet Maintenance

3 eggs, warmed in hot water for 5 minutes
Pinch salt
1 teaspoon room temperature butter, plus 1/2 teaspoon for finishing omelet
1/2 teaspoon fresh chopped chives

Crack warm eggs into bowl, add salt, and blend with fork. Heat a 10-inch non-stick aluminum pan over medium-high heat. Once pan is hot add butter and brush around surface of pan. Pour eggs into center of pan and stir vigorously with rubber spatula for 5 seconds. As soon as a semi-solid mass begins to form lift pan and move around until the excess liquid pours off into pan. Using your spatula move around the edge of the egg mixture to help shape into round and loosen edge. Let omelet sit in pan for 10 seconds without touching.
Shake pan to loosen from pan. Lift up the far edge of the pan and snap it back toward you. Using your spatula, fold over 1/3 of the omelet. Slide omelet onto plate and fold over so that omelet is a tri-fold. Coat with remaining butter and sprinkle with chives. Serve immediately.

(before you fold it into thirds - put cheese in center so it will melt ... any grated cheese will do)

CountryWolf07
07-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Be sure to bookmark this... I will need to learn how to cook some stuff while I'm back at OSU in September!

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 01:19 PM
May as well just come out and say it:D Jenn, your recipes look complicated but yummy! They have been printed out for a day when I'm feeling adventurous:D

Gosh.. and they are the simple ones I have. They're just a little prep work really. Other than that... pretty easy. They may sound intimidating, but really, they can all be prepped within 15-20 minutes, tops.

I do have some hard ones if you want ;):p I love to cook (have been doing so since I was 5 or 6), so I have a ton of recipes and cookbooks.

Sometimes you have to get past the prep work, or the words of the ingredients, and see how easy cooking really is. Once things are cut up, it's just throwing it all together. And if you hate dealing with knives, like me, you can buy most things already cut up in the store. Even better!

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Ok, how's this one?? This is my favorite for when I have the munchies.

1 container sour cream
1 jar salsa or chili
1 bag of shredded taco cheese
8x8 baking dish

In a baking dish, sour cream on the bottom.
Spoon salsa or chili on next.
Top with shredded cheese.

Bake in 375* oven till bubbly. About 20 minutes. Serve with nacho chips.

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
This is from a woman at school

Veggie Pizza

2 pkgs Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 8oz. pkg cream cheese
1 oz pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1/4 c. mayo
Assortment of raw veggies (carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, green pepper, cauliflower) chopped and diced
Grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Combine cream cheese, dressing mix, and mayo. Let sit for 1-2hrs in fridge.

Unwrap the rolls, press onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350* for 8 minutes or until golden brown.

When crust is cooled, spread evenly with cream cheese mixture.

Distribute veggies evenly on top of cream cheese mixture.

Top with cheddar cheese.

Cut and serve.

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Another from my assistant

This works if you have guest, or if you're just by yourself. Kids like to make this too, because they choose what is in their omelet.

Ziploc Omelet

Quart size freezer bags for as many people as there will be omelets.

Crack 2 eggs, large or extra large, into the bag(no more than two) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheese, ham, onion, green peppers, tomato, hash browns, salsa etc...

Each person adds prepared ingredients of choice into their bag and shakes to combine.

Make sure to get air out of the bag, and zip it up.

Place bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot.

Open bags, and omelet will roll out easily.

jennielynn1970
07-21-2008, 09:21 PM
I had gotten this book for my friend Regina when she moved out of her mom's house to Bethlehem.

Help! My Apartment has a Kitchen! (http://www.amazon.com/Help-Apartment-Has-Kitchen-Cookbook/dp/0618711759/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216693157&sr=8-1)

I thought it was pretty good for a beginner's cookbook! :D

Rachel
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM

1 can tuna, drained
milk

Optional:
bread crumbs

Boil pasta acording to directions until FIRM. Mix cooked pasta, tuna, soup and 1 soup can full of milk (and cheese if using). place in an oven safe dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs OR cover with foil and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

Jen, I'm going to try this recipe. One of the few things my mother made that I enjoyed was tuna noodle casserole. But it's got to have peas...so I think I'll just throw some frozen peas in in the mix. I'm going to use crushed potato chips on top.

Karen
07-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Jen, I'm going to try this recipe. One of the few things my mother made that I enjoyed was tuna noodle casserole. But it's got to have peas...so I think I'll just throw some frozen peas in in the mix. I'm going to use crushed potato chips on top.

I miss tuna noodle casserole! But I'm now allergic to the tuna, and the peas, so it's a "never mind" now.

When I was a poor college student, a sometimes meal was pasta (whatever was on sale), a can of tuna, a can of mushrooms, and parmesan cheese. Yum. Now I have to do without the tuna part, and it's not as fun.

Oh - here's a quick and easy one!

Wash some spinach and tear it into smaller pieces. (Baby spinach you can leave whole). Put it in the bottom of a bowl.

Dump some grated cheese - room temperature - in with it.

Boil some pasta.

Dump the cooked pasta into the bowl, stir the spinach and cheese in, and then cover the dish and let it sit for a minute.

The heat from the pasta will cook the spinach just enough, and met the cheese.

Dump in some bacon bits - just microwave some bacon until it's crunchy and crumble in.

Stir and serve!

How much cheese and how much spinach and bacon depends on your taste!

jenluckenbach
07-22-2008, 03:03 PM
I miss tuna noodle casserole! But I'm now allergic to the tuna, and the peas, so it's a "never mind" now.

Use canned Salmon or chicken for a similar meal.

shais_mom
07-22-2008, 03:17 PM
go to www.kraft.com and sign up for their emails and you can get their cooking magazine for FREE.
also this is a great magazine - http://www.tasteofhome.com/simple-delicious-magazine/ and their quick cooking or Light and Tasty magazine is great also.

I've been interrested in this cookbook but have held off on getting it

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1592332218/cheapskatemonthl

here are some pre-existing recipe threads here
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=16188&highlight=recipe+thread
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=122807&highlight=recipe+thread
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=54508&highlight=recipe+thread
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=111101&highlight=chicken+tortilla+soup

Grace
07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
go to www.kraft.com and sign up for their emails and you can get their cooking magazine for FREE.
also this is a great magazine - http://www.tasteofhome.com/simple-delicious-magazine/ and their quick cooking or Light and Tasty magazine is great also.

Staci - thanks for this info. I just signed up. What I like best about the Kraft site - they give the nutritional breakdown of each recipe. As a T2 Diabetic, I pay close attention to my carb intake.

CountryWolf07
07-22-2008, 03:34 PM
I had gotten this book for my friend Regina when she moved out of her mom's house to Bethlehem.

Help! My Apartment has a Kitchen! (http://www.amazon.com/Help-Apartment-Has-Kitchen-Cookbook/dp/0618711759/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216693157&sr=8-1)

I thought it was pretty good for a beginner's cookbook! :D

That made me laugh!! It will be my first apartment in September.. and I will be living on my own so.. I think I'm gonna have to look for that!

shais_mom
07-22-2008, 03:39 PM
Staci - thanks for this info. I just signed up. What I like best about the Kraft site - they give the nutritional breakdown of each recipe. As a T2 Diabetic, I pay close attention to my carb intake.

:D no problem!!
they have some easy and good recipes. I made lemon chicken awhile ago with LEMON JELLO!!! :cool::p

joycenalex
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
for 2 people, turn oven on to 350 degrees to preheat. 2 -boneless mild fish fillets, like tilapia or orange roughy, 4-8 ounces each.
pull out 2 sheets of aluminium foil, slightly larger then the fish and lightly oil them , olive oil is good, crisco is okay (butter doesn't work for me)
place fish on the foil, pour 1-2 tablespoons of salad dressing like ranch, french, thousand island or italian over the fish, if you have fresh veggies like green beans, bell pepper strips, zucchini or carrot coins put those on top of the fish, close the foil, like a sandwich is wrapped and bake 18-20 minutes. fish is done when it flakes apart very easily with fork. i serve this with rice-a-roni and broccoil almost every monday night before i leave for bowling. dessert this month has been a torn in small pieces pound cake topped with mashed strawberries and topped with whipped cream.
i've done this with boneless chicken breasts too, but you bake it longer.
enjoy

columbine
07-22-2008, 07:53 PM
Nuked Potatoes

Wash spuds (don't bother to peel) and cut up small. Put in microwavable bowl, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and rosemary, squirt with olive oil, stir. If these are to be an ingredient for something else, nuke covered until soft. If they're Part of Your Balanced Breakfast, nuke uncovered (stirring occasionally) until crispy!

Love, Columbine

kt_luvs_kitties
07-22-2008, 10:02 PM
These recipes all sound great!

Thanks Shaismom - I signed up!

Jen- I made your tuna casserole tonight, and it was GREAT! I added parmesan cheese, and lays potato chips crushed on top! We are gonna have the leftovers tomorrow night! THANK YOU:D

shais_mom
07-22-2008, 10:57 PM
Nuked Potatoes

Wash spuds (don't bother to peel) and cut up small. Put in microwavable bowl, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and rosemary, squirt with olive oil, stir. If these are to be an ingredient for something else, nuke covered until soft. If they're Part of Your Balanced Breakfast, nuke uncovered (stirring occasionally) until crispy!

Love, Columbine

I read that as Naked Potatoes.
:p

shais_mom
07-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Hubby wont cook...PERIOD! He cooked one time for me in the 11 years we have been together.:rolleyes: And that was a frozen dinner, of salisbury steak, which I don't eat:p
:D

then he wouldn't EAT in my house! :D ;) :p

jennielynn1970
07-22-2008, 11:59 PM
When my friend, Regina, got married and moved to Canada to be with her new husband (same one I got the Apartment cookbook for), she still wasn't a big cook.

One time she called me and asked how to make SCRAMBLED EGGS. I was like, um... you put eggs in a bowl, whisk them up, and fry them, lol. I just figured it was a no brainer really.

So, when she was leaving, all the librarians decided to have a going away party for her, and we put together a huge cookbook with all our favorite, and easy, recipes for her.

I also gave her a "gift". I bought her a TWINKIE cookbook, with a box of Twinkies to go with it; a MARSHMALLOW FLUFF cookbook, and a container of fluff to go with it; and a SPAM cookbook, and a container of spam to go with it.

I figured if she didn't use the cookbooks, at least she could eat the twinkies, fluff and spam as is w/out cooking, lol. :p

Cinder & Smoke
07-23-2008, 12:21 AM
Nuked Potatoes

Put in microwavable bowl, sprinkle with salt, pepper, paprika, and rosemary,
squirt with olive oil, stir.

If they're Part of Your Balanced Breakfast,
nuke uncovered (stirring occasionally) until crispy!

OK ...

1) What Kinda taters? ... There's more tater flavours than I can remember ...
Whas'sa difference?

2) How long does "until crispy" take?
My nuke box doesn't have an "until crispy" button. :p

Cinder & Smoke
07-23-2008, 12:37 AM
... MARSHMALLOW FLUFF ... :p

Pean-Butter an FLUFF ... sammich of my youth!

HAD to be "Skippy" pean-butter, KRUNCHIE style with "Real Peanuts",
soft white bread, and the Marshmallow FLUFF!
I think I ate those P-B & Fluff sammiches all the way through high school.

FLUFF was also great as an ice cream topping ... *sticky*, but good!

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 12:13 AM

When I was a poor college student, a sometimes meal was pasta (whatever was on sale), a can of tuna, a can of mushrooms, and parmesan cheese. Yum. Now I have to do without the tuna part, and it's not as fun.

Wash some spinach and tear it into smaller pieces. (Baby spinach you can leave whole). Put it in the bottom of a bowl.

Boil some pasta.

Dump the cooked pasta into the bowl, stir the spinach and cheese in, and then cover the dish and let it sit for a minute.

Dump in some bacon bits - just microwave some bacon until it's crunchy and crumble in.

Stir and serve!

I've done this before and fold in some ricotta cheese and garlic salt. And toss some grape tomatoes in right before serving..
and garnish with lemon juice. It just brings all the flavors together!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2008, 12:21 AM
What kind of cheese with the spinach?

When do I put in the ricotta?

Tonight for dinner I made McDonalds:rolleyes:

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 12:27 AM
What kind of cheese with the spinach?

parmesan

When do I put in the ricotta?

I like to put the ricotta in while the pasta is still hot, AND use a wee bit of pasta water mixed in with the cheese as your folding to help it be creamier and fold better. You just have to eyeball it. And you can dish it up and squirt a SMALL amount of lemon juice over each dish. Use sparingly to taste as you would salt.

animal_rescue
07-26-2008, 12:29 AM

1 can tuna, drained
milk

Optional:
bread crumbs

I do something similar to this but mine is kind of more simple. I just take mac & cheese, a can of peas, and a can of tuna. Mix it together on the stove, and voila I have Tuna Mac.:D

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 12:33 AM
Another easy one is Stromboli.

Take the frozen Bread dough from the freezer section of the grocery. Thaw it completely.
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350.
ROLL it out with a rolling pin and grease it *I use spray Pam* This takes some practice but the practicing tastes just as good!
Spread with your favorite pizza sauce and your favorite pizza toppings whatever you like on pizza - PILE it on.
fold the dough over and PINCH it together to make a seam.
Place on a greased cookie sheet (I've discovered parchment paper and use it for EVERYTHING) SEAM side DOWN.
Spray with Pam again
and bake for 20-30 minutes until golden brown.
let cool for about 8-10 min before slicing.
you can serve extra pizza sauce for dipping if you like.

I'm going to try to get the stuff to make this as a Rueban tomorrow and make it for my dad since my mom is gone for the week.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2008, 12:40 AM
Now that sounds GOOD! I might make that on Monday:D Is their a name brand for the pizza dough? I know that sounds silly, but I have never seen it before!

ChrisH
07-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Seared salmon.

salmon fillet
salt and freshly ground black pepper
butter
squeeze lemon juice

Season the salmon fillet on both sides with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Melt the butter in a frying pan until frothing, then add the salmon skin-side down and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until golden-brown. Turn the fish over, squeeze over the lemon juice, remove from the heat and allow the salmon to finish cooking in the residual heat.

Serve with whatever takes your fancy, with just new potatoes is good.

ChrisH
07-26-2008, 04:27 AM
Another easy dish I often have. Don't have quantity for the ingredients for you though.

Fry some onions & mushrooms, brown some minced beef until pink has gone and add to the onions & mushrooms. Mix up 1/2 pint of instant gravy & add to the beef mix, simmer for around 15 mins. Serve with mashed potato & vegetable of choice.

critters
07-26-2008, 07:16 AM
I had this once. DELISH!!!! :love:

This is from a woman at school

Veggie Pizza

2 pkgs Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 8oz. pkg cream cheese
1 oz pkg dry Hidden Valley Ranch dressing mix
1/4 c. mayo
Assortment of raw veggies (carrots, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, green pepper, cauliflower) chopped and diced
Grated cheddar cheese

Directions:
Combine cream cheese, dressing mix, and mayo. Let sit for 1-2hrs in fridge.

Unwrap the rolls, press onto a cookie sheet and bake at 350* for 8 minutes or until golden brown.

When crust is cooled, spread evenly with cream cheese mixture.

Distribute veggies evenly on top of cream cheese mixture.

Top with cheddar cheese.

Cut and serve.

critters
07-26-2008, 07:19 AM
These would be a lot of fun for a special event, like Xmas morning or a brunch. I wish my sister would do them. :(

Another from my assistant

This works if you have guest, or if you're just by yourself. Kids like to make this too, because they choose what is in their omelet.

Ziploc Omelet

Quart size freezer bags for as many people as there will be omelets.

Crack 2 eggs, large or extra large, into the bag(no more than two) shake to combine them.

Put out a variety of ingredients such as: cheese, ham, onion, green peppers, tomato, hash browns, salsa etc...

Each person adds prepared ingredients of choice into their bag and shakes to combine.

Make sure to get air out of the bag, and zip it up.

Place bags into rolling, boiling water for exactly 13 minutes. You can cook 6-8 omelets in a large pot.

Open bags, and omelet will roll out easily.

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Now that sounds GOOD! I might make that on Monday:D Is their a name brand for the pizza dough? I know that sounds silly, but I have never seen it before!

no - I just use frozen bread dough. If you look in the frozen bread section where the rolls, biscuits, and garlic bread are in your grocery, you should find it. :)
I'm sure there is a name brand of the Bread dough I think its like Rhoades or Rhodes or something. I'll have to look, but I **think** I bought Walmart brand the last time.? :confused: Can't remember!

jennielynn1970
07-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Pizza Dough...

If you have a Wegman's near by (not sure if you do), or any other foodstore that has a really good deli and fresh food/take out area, they should have pizza dough in bags in that section. In our Wegman's, it's in the big long open cooler areas where they have all the premade items like lasagna, shells and cheese, pizza sauce. They have bags of premade dough, and all the directions for it to raise or whatever you do with it, is right on the bag. Good dough too!!

You can buy a box of mix to make pizza dough too. It should be in the spaghetti area of the market.

I do have recipes for homemade dough, IF you're interested, lol, but that's more work, lol.

jennielynn1970
07-26-2008, 11:22 AM
These would be a lot of fun for a special event, like Xmas morning or a brunch. I wish my sister would do them. :(

RE: Ziploc Omelets

We do them for breakfasts and brunches and parties and stuff. They're a real hit, because everyone can have their omelet the way they want it! And so easy too!!

Show the recipe/directions to your sister, maybe she'll get the hint!! ;) :p

jennielynn1970
07-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Hey Katie!

Do you grill outside at all??

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2008, 04:30 PM
No. I do know how to grill though;)

My dad just bought himself a NICE big grill, so he said I can have to old one. It needs a new gas tank, and I just dont have anywhere to put it! Can you put a grill on grass? I know that is a stupid question, but our porch is too small in back, and the front porch, well, everyone would see and come to visit. So it would have to be in the back yard ( HUGE and privacy fenced;) )

I am not the most welcoming neighbor... Kids running through my house, scaring the cats, and Joey and Dora being so tiny.. I am a nervous wreck:eek: I am the only one without kids, and I like my house tidy and the cats calm:p

Cinder & Smoke
07-26-2008, 04:57 PM
I do know how to grill though ;)

... he said I can have to old one.
It needs a new gas tank ...
Can I put a grill on grass?

Grass is fine!
(Assuming it's *cut* to a below knee-high. :p )

When you bring home the New Gas Tank, mix up a little container of dish soap and water -
connect and tighten the new tank, turn it on and SOAP up ALL the gas connection joints
and **LOOK** for soap bubbles - which indicates a :eek: leak that you have to eliminate.

Happie Grillin - what's for dinner?

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Thank you for the advice! I would have never thought to check for leaks:o

Tonight is probably Outback. It is my 5 year anniversary, so I got to pick where to go. My husband does not like it that much, but he gets to choose where we eat all the time. I wanted a turn:p

I will probably have a bloomin onion, salad, grilled chicken, and a margarita;)

kt_luvs_kitties
08-06-2008, 04:05 PM
Sirrahmis, I am making your cream cheese chicken tonight:)

jennielynn1970
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
I just made this two days ago. It's one of my faves that my mom used to make. It's the Betty Crocker version of Spanish Rice (so not authentic at all, I'm guessing!)

Put a large pot or skillet on the stove. Pour in some olive oil on the bottom, and heat the skillet on medium heat.

Cut up one large onion, 1 large green pepper, and a package of hotdogs. Toss in the hot skillet. Add 1c. of uncooked rice, 1 tsp. of oregano, 1 tsp. of salt, and 1/8 tsp of pepper. Fry until the hotdogs, onions, peppers, and rice have some brown on them, about 10 mins.

Open a can of crushed tomatoes (28oz can), and pour into the pot/skillet. Add some water to the can and swish to get all the tomato out, and add to the skillet.

Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 35-40 minutes. I serve it with grated parm cheese on top.

I love this meal, it's easy to make, and great as a left over.

shais_mom
08-06-2008, 11:27 PM
I just made this two days ago. It's one of my faves that my mom used to make. It's the Betty Crocker version of Spanish Rice (so not authentic at all, I'm guessing!)

gee with hotdogs whodathunkit?!:)

shais_mom
08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
I was in the mood for homemade chicken tenders tonight so I thawed a couple chicken breasts and cut them into strips.
(you can buy the pre-cut tenders)
I didn't have any bread crumbs on hand so instead I used about a tablespoon of flour, 2 T parmesan cheese, and instant mashed potatoes. Mine were loaded flavor. you can dunk the chicken in egg/milk mixture and then dunk into the dry mixture. But I didn't have any egg so I just dunked them into the dry mixture. Laid them out on parchment paper and baked for 15 min at 360 degrees flipped them and then another 10min. (b/c I used chicken breasts some of mine were pretty thick.) just keep an eye on them until they are golden brown. If you don't have instant mashed potatoes you can use crushed crackers. Cheese Nips are especially good. I enjoyed them with honey mustard sauce.

also - this is a quick and easy recipe for if you have any left over rice.
take the left over rice put into a skillet with about a Tablespoon of oil. Use med high heat. Add diced carrots, celery, peas, onion (optional- I never use onions) add a scrambled egg and enough soy sauce to cover the rice. (may have to eyeball it depending on how much rice you have left over. You can add in COOKED cut up chicken pieces, ham, pork, beef, or shrimp.
Stir fry quickly for about 5-7 min - the veggies will be crisp.
Sometimes I get in the mood for this and I don't have any leftover rice. I just make 1 cup of white rice. (the measurements of rice will be on the back of the package - how much you should fix for X servings.

gini
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM

This made me laugh out loud!! I bet the kitties are sure glad to see YOU
come home at dinner time. Can you just imagine their conversation over the dinner your husband gave them?:confused::D

Randi
08-15-2008, 11:31 AM
This is easy, quick and cheap...

Chicken fillets (each sliced up so they're thinner) - you can get them already sliced.

Cook some Basmati rice (1 dl. rice to 2 dl. water) Takes half an hour on very low.

Put some olive oil, lime juice, chili, salt and pepper in a bowl. Let the chicken bits marinade for an hour.

10 min. before the rice is cooked, start frying the chicken bits on a pan. Remove the chicken bits to your plate, add a bit of cream or milk on the pan to make a gravy to pour over rice.

2 min. before it's finished, put some some frozen corn in boiling water.

That's it! Can't be more simple! :D

shais_mom
09-08-2008, 07:21 PM
I had a craving for this pizza last night but the pizza place that makes it isn't open on Sunday, and I didn't want to spend the money on pizza.
Then I remembered I had all the ingredients so why not make it myself.

Cheeseburger Pizza
preheat oven to 450.

brown one pound of hamburger and drain if needed.
bake pre made pizza crust for about 5 min or according to package directions. (this are great to have on hand)
In a bowl, and I didn't measure anything just eyeballed how much I thought would spread easily on a crust -
ketchup
mustard
bbq sauce
bacon pieces
relish I used dill but can use sweet.
I mixed all these together but you wouldn't have too. And you could just use hamburger chip pickles, but I had relish on hand so I used that.
Spread the 'sauce' over the crust. Top with hamburger and lots of cheese.
Can add onions if you like onions on your cheeseburger.
Back until cheese is melted and bubbly. (bout 15-20 min)
I did add a couple packets of artificial sweetner to the sauce b/c the dill relish made it pucker up tart!!!

Oggyflute
09-09-2008, 05:28 AM
This is my favourite 'quick' recipe,

Lime Garlic Chicken
Seasoned chicken breasts sautéed with butter and garlic and topped with a squeeze of fresh lime.
(Scaled to make 1 serving)
Ingredients:
¼ cup flour
¼ teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 – ½ skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cut into strips
¼ cup of butter
1 clove of garlic, diced
¼ lime
Lemon pepper to taste

Directions:
1) Mix flour, salt & pepper together in a resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, seal bag and shake to coat. Set aside.
2) Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté 3 to 4 minutes, until it starts to change colour. Sauté coated chicken strips with butter and garlic for 10 to 15 minutes, until cooked through and juices run clear.
3) Squeeze lime over chicken and sprinkle with lemon pepper. Serve hot.

mina'smomma
09-16-2008, 12:33 PM
I'm allergic to tuna too, but chicken work just as good.

Boil some pasta.

Stir and serve!