View Full Version : CNN Hero....Woman From Ohio

lizbud
07-18-2008, 04:44 PM
A neat article from CNN about a woman who believes in the "magic"
of dogs.:) (don't we all :D )

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/07/16/heroes.shirk/index.html

Taz_Zoee
07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Having worked with children (some with autism) for 12 years and loving dogs, I think this is the most wonderful program EVER!!
Of course I got tears in my eyes while watching the videos. :p

Grace
07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
Wonderful article. Thanks.

boomersooner
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
I don't work with autistic children but we do have a LIFE skills class at my school. Most of the kids are either Down's or autistic. I see the frustration at not being able to communicate.....I think this program is wonderful......We have also had some kids with Asberger's autism who are in a regular class, but they are so different, they don't have many friends if any, and I thought of those kids when I was watching this.....what a wonderful program.

Grace
07-18-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't work with autistic children but we do have a LIFE skills class at my school. Most of the kids are either Down's or autistic. I see the frustration at not being able to communicate.....I think this program is wonderful......We have also had some kids with Asberger's autism who are in a regular class, but they are so different, they don't have many friends if any, and I thought of those kids when I was watching this.....what a wonderful program.

Do any of the Down's kids learn sign language? I started volunteering at a local elementary school - 3rd grade - about 8 years ago. There were a few Down's kids that were mainstreamed, and they all knew ASL.