PDA

View Full Version : cat litter and cat boxes

Catty1
07-17-2008, 11:38 PM
Medusa was cautioning rebeccahowes about locating a litter box in her kitchen. I got curious about what harms that could create, so went a-searching.

This article is too long to post, but raised a question about the clay litters. Has anyone else heard of this?

http://www.worldwise.com/catboxlitter.html

(PS - the only harms I found so far are toxoplasmosis and ammonia in urine fumes...will keep looking)

Emeraldgreen
07-18-2008, 01:42 AM
I've had some concerns about the clay litter and posted a thread a few months ago about it. Since then I switched my cats to a kitty litter called Swheat Scoop but recently I switched back to clay because the Swheat Scoop tracks everywhere. But it's a pretty good litter and has kind of a 'country' smell to it, like a hayfield. It doesn't control odours as well as clay though but in the end, it is healthier for cats and people who scoop it!
Here is the thread about this topic from a few months ago with a link to another article about it. :)
http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=136706&highlight=litter

jennielynn1970
07-18-2008, 02:41 AM
I have one litter box, hooded, in my kitchen because I got tired of having someone peeing and pooping on the floor in there. I'm pretty sure it's my girl, Boris, because she is intimidated by Zachariah.

I use the Mimi Crystals, which are larger sized crystals and it gets cleaned and washed every day. For the most part, it's done the trick, and I'm happy. Someone still pees against the kitchen door to the porch, and I'm not sure why, but I'm trying to figure that one out.

moosmom
07-18-2008, 09:18 AM
I use Feline Pine. I've never had any issues with any of my cats with this litter. I tried the Feline Pine clumping litter and found the tracking awful. But that was when I had litterboxes. I now have 3 deep Rubbermaid bins and it seems to have done the trick. I tried the Crystals when they first came out and my cat Casey told me right away (by peeing in my lap as I read my book) that he didn't like them. So, back to the drawing board I went. I like FP because it absorbs the urine and it's odor. I remove solid waste whenever someone takes a dump. The only downside to FP is when it gets humid out, like it has been for the past couple of weeks, the litter doesn't last as long. One bag is supposed to last 10 weeks. I'm lucky if it lasts a week in this humidity.

I can't use clumping clay litters because my 16 year old cat, Mollie Rose has kitty asthma and it reeks havoc on her lungs.

That was a great article, Catty1. Thanks for sharing it. I've sent it to my daughter so she can read up on it.