PDA

View Full Version : oh dear more kitty health issues...

carole
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
Well it has been a tough week, with the news on my Old boy Ash and his kidney failure,

Anyhow Ellie-mae comes in last night with a big swelling to the side of her face, panic sets in,and i am thinking all sorts of things.

I remember she was in a spat about ten days ago, i checked her out and she seemed ok, it might have been with old Ash even, they both tolerate each other but have their moments.

She had a scab just above her eye which she did not seem to like me touching, so i am prepared for yet another visit to the vet,however this morning it was as i suspected an abcess, luckily it has opened up and i have been bathing it with salty water and as she was sitting on me i touched the side of the swelling gently and heaps of pus poured out, so that is a good sign, i will continue to bathe her and gently squeeze till we get it all out.

As it has been such an expensive week, i rang Danielle the vet, and asked would she consider giving me some antibiotics without seeing her, she agreed, also going to give me some other stuff to put in the saline solution when i bathe it, so i am relieved for that , will be a lot cheaper than the visit on top of that.

So everyone fingers and paws crossed please that ellie-mae heals nicely, what a stressful week it is worrying about my kitties, i am so tired lol..

Medusa
07-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Goodness, trouble does seem to come in bunches, eh? We'll send up prayers for Ellie-Mae and you, Carole. :)

Moesha
07-17-2008, 09:27 PM
Oh dear! I can sympathize with dealing wtih an abcess on a kitty's face! Aroara and I have been dealing with that for 3 weeks tomorrow. She had it drained at the vet's office once and took antibiotics for a week. Then it got infected again. I took her back, and he was going to drain it again but instead decided to cut it out. There's a thread in Cat Health about Aroara's ordeal, but suffice it to say that you and Ellie-Mae will certainly be in my thoughts. I sure hope that you are able to get it under control and healed up without a lot of expense.

CathyBogart
07-18-2008, 12:58 PM
Poor kitty. :( Lots of warm compresses mom! I hope everyone's feeling better soon.

carole
07-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Well so far there is a big improvement in Ellie's condition, the swelling is almost gone, infact you can hardly notice it at all, just that i know it is there, one wound is looking good the other still weepy, i did not find the other until yesterday, and she is being such a darling at letting me bathe it, i bathe it with salty water as directed by the vet with cotton balls, and dry it, also using a syringe to get the water right in the wound, she was good at being pilled too, did not like being held tightly in a towel though and was growling, but i am not scared of her at all, it's all for show lol, and then she takes the pill so well, does not try getting rid of it like ole Ash does.

So fingers and paws crossed it is on the mend, i cannot afford anymore vet bills right now.

I will keep in with my routine bathing it three four times a day, and with her antibiotics i am hoping for a complete recovery, but i will be keeping a very close eye on my furbaby, don't you worry, thanks for the well wishes and prayers, much needed and appreciated.:love:

I am so sorry to hear about Aroara and her abcess, i am going there to read it now, i sure hope this does not happen to Ellie.,hugs and i wish everything to be ok with your kitty too.

RockyRoad
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear that Ellie is improving! Prayers are on the way that she makes a full recovery soon. :)

boomersooner
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
My 14 year old dalmatian, Cassie, had what we thought was a fatty tumor on the side of her jowel...it was there for over a year. She really was getting slower and acting like she really didn't feel well, and we thought maybe she was really getting on to the end of her life....Well, over memorial day weekend it burst, and it was just full of infection. Long story short, the doctor didn't think antibiotic would work so he cut it out...ended up being some sort of cyst. Within 36 hours after the anesthesia wore off completely, she was like a different dog....feeling so much better, running around the backyard. I felt horrible because I just figured it was fatty tumor like the other couple she has. So, again, long story short, your Ellie will feel so much better when she gets rid of that old infection. I'm glad the antibiotics are working....Cassie's drained but it keep filling back up (for lack of a better medical term) Keep us posted on how she is doing!!!

carole
07-18-2008, 09:15 PM
It is a an abcess for sure, you can see the two puncture wounds either side on her cheek, and she was in a spat about ten days ago, nawtee Ellie-Mae,all those sort of things, tumours cyst's went through my head when i found it, so you can imagine my relief to find it was not, yes here's hoping she continues to heal well, Nurse Carole is on hand to pander to her needs and make sure she gets well. LOL:)

boomersooner
07-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Animals are so quiet about their injuries sometimes, and because of their fur, sometimes you just don't know when they are hurt....I'm glad she is on the road to recovery!!

carole
07-20-2008, 07:32 PM
Yes the wounds are looking great today, all nice and dry,no swelling and she is still a sweetheart at letting me bathe them, they probably don't really need it now, but i will two them twice daily to be on the safe side, she is so funny when being pilled, she struggles like crazy in the towel, hates that, and even hubby has a hard time holding her, but taking the pill she is not really a problem, swallows it down really well,oh thank goodness for a pill popper, don't know what we would do without it, we still get it wrong sometimes, even with that on hand lol, last night Ash was difficult, cunning little kitties, he managed to keep it hidden at the side of his mouth, i guess i did not get it quite at the back this time, so it took a few goes at it much to his dislike.