PDA

View Full Version : So sad - horses burned to death not far from me

Miss Z
07-17-2008, 11:47 AM
This story is so, so sad. This incident occurred about 15 miles or so from where I live. My friend's mother stables her horses in that town, too; thank goodness this wasn't her livery yard this happened to.

One of the horses was due to compete in the Royal Welsh Show, too, which I am going to this weekend. :(

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/news/3207095.How_could_they_kill_my_horses__asks_Darwen _stable_owner/

--------------------------------------
How could they kill my horses, asks Darwen stable owner

8:20am Wednesday 16th July 2008
By Catherine Pye »

The owner of four show horses that were burned to death has slammed the arsonists who killed ‘her babies’.

Mary Howarth, 60, said the attack on her stables had destroyed decades of hard work and breeding.

And she told how she bravely battled large flames to rescue three other horses.

Firefighters, who fought the blaze for two hours from 11.30pm on Monday, helped her bring two of them to safety.

But they were unable to save the other four.

Detectives have launched an investigation into the blaze.

Firefighters said that Sough Farm stable blocks in Northumberland Close, off Cranberry Lane, Darwen, had been specifically targeted as there were several seats of fire.

The stable doors had also been ‘ripped off their hinges’, firefighters said.
The scene was cordoned off yesterday while forensic teams carried out their investigations.

A 17-year-old boy and a man, 18, have been arrested on suspicion of arson.

One of the horses killed was due to compete in the Royal Welsh show on Saturday.

Mrs Howarth, of Cranberry Close, Darwen, said: “My daughter was at the stables at about 10.30pm and the fire brigade was called at about 11.30pm, so it’s happened within the space of an hour.

“My neighbour came to tell me what was going on, and I grabbed my coat and shoes and ran down dialling 999.

“When I got there, the fire engines were already there, so somebody else must have called them.

“The flames were 20ft high. I got one pony out of the stables and rescued two more from further away from the fire, but the others had no chance.”
She said those responsible were “sick” and added: “Set my table on fire, but don’t do this, don’t burn the babies.

“I am insured, but you can’t get the same pony back.

“They are as individual as people.”

“I’m totally devastated.

“It was my 60th birthday as well. What a present I’ve been given.”

The horses killed were a 12-year-old Highland called Billy Bunter, a coloured yearling gelding called Murphy, yearling filly called Goldy and a yearling filly called Lizzy Lou.

Wendy Dewhurst, 40, from Woodville Terrace, Darwen, owned Goldy, who was to compete at the Royal Welsh Show.

She said: “I put 11 years breeding into that horse. A lot of hard work.

“She was a really valuable pony for show purposes.

“I am devastated. The stables can be rebuilt but I can’t breed that pony again.”

The rescued horses have gone to stables belonging to friends of Mrs Howarth.

Peter McLintock, of Northumberland Close, saw the drama unfold.
He said: “I’ve never seen flames so big. We were fearing for our house. It was that bad.

“It’s a shame, really sad.”

Crew manager Steve Morgan, from Darwen Fire Station, said: “We were met by the owner of the stables, who was in a distraught state, and then a lot of people, including horse owners started to turn up, trying to get the horses out.

“We rescued three horses that were put in a paddock and looked over by a vet, but the other four were dead when we got there.”

Detective Inspector Andy Hulme said: "We are appealing for any witnesses who saw anybody acting suspiciously in the Northumberland Close area between 10pm and 11.30pm to contact police.”
-----------------------------------------------

Just WHY? :(:mad:

lvpets2002
07-17-2008, 12:15 PM
:( So Very Sad & Horrible.. I hope they throw those 2 Hudlems in prision & throw away the key.. :mad:

Karen
07-17-2008, 12:17 PM
How terribly, terribly sad. I hope the arsonists are not only caught, but fully prosecuted to the fullest extent allowed.

moosmom
07-17-2008, 12:37 PM
What a sad and horrible tale of events. I hope they prosecute these MEN to the fullest extent of the law.

Zara,

I'm SO glad you nor your horse were at that stable at the time this occurred. :love:

Catty1
07-17-2008, 12:39 PM
The article said two people had been arrested on suspicion of arson, so the last line in the article was a tad confusing.

I hope they are dealt with severely.

RIP, beautiful beloved horses. You did nothing to deserve such a horrifying fate...condolences to the owners who loved and trained you, to whom you were family.:(:love:

Miss Z
07-17-2008, 04:04 PM
The article said two people had been arrested on suspicion of arson, so the last line in the article was a tad confusing.

Yeah, I think they've arrested them but I don't know if they've been convicted yet. The police probably need evidence before they can be sure if they did it or not, because no doubt the spineless idiots are denying it. :mad:

lizbud
07-17-2008, 04:40 PM
I always hate to hear of horses dying in fires.:( They must have been so
terrified.:(:(

Catty1
07-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Zara, they need a trial before they can be convicted.

Let's hope for the best.

shepgirl
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
That is so sad - horses become so terrified during a fire that they will run back into it for the safety of their stalls. it's the hardest thing trying to get a horse out of a burning building. Whoever did this I hope they get the stiffest penalty that can be handed down. such sick twisted people out there...

Catty1
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM
This reads like an update....although it's dated the day BEFORE the link in the first post. :confused:

http://www.blackburncitizen.co.uk/search/3210366.Two_charged_after_Darwen_stables_arson/

Two charged after Darwen stables arson

7:10pm Wednesday 16th July 2008

TWO youths have been charged in connection with an arson attack on a stables in Darwen which left four horses dead.

Matthew Roberts, 18, from Darwen, has been charged with arson and a 17-year-old boy from Darwen has been charged with arson and burglary.

A third man, also 18, arrested in connection with the incident has been bailed pending further enquiries.

Four show horses worth tens of thousands of pounds were burned alive in the attack at Sough Farm stable blocks late on Monday night.

Three other horses were rescued by stable owner Mary Howarth and fire officers.

Detective Inspector Andy Hulme, from Blackburn CID, said: “We are still appealing for any witnesses to come forward.

"I would like to speak to anybody who saw any suspicious activity in the Northumberland Close area between 10pm and 11.30pm on Monday to contact police. “

Both youths are due to appear at Blackburn Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Miss Z
07-18-2008, 12:41 PM
Zara, they need a trial before they can be convicted.

Let's hope for the best.

Yeah, sorry, I meant to say 'charged' in that post, not 'convicted'. :o

I heard on the local news that the men may be shown pictures of the dead horses in their trial, to try to shock them as to the gravity of what they have done.