PDA

View Full Version : Nausea cures

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Anyone know of any good ways to get rid of nausea?:mad: I think I'm coming down with something:(

Cookiebaker
07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Peppermint Tea!

I hope you feel better ASAP!

jennielynn1970
07-16-2008, 10:28 AM
This is going to sound really weird, but a nurse I worked with told me about it, and I've used this remedy ever since (and that was 1995ish).

Open a can of peaches, with the thick syrup, and just take some spoons of the syrup. It will help soothe the stomach.

Not sure why it works, but it has for me.

smokey the elder
07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
Ginger ale is supposed to be good.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Ginger is supposed to help

Jenn - just the thought of peaches makes me feel ill ;)

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 10:38 AM
thanks, I'll give all of these things a try.
I feel like I'm falling apart lately:o It must be the approach of my 24th birthday... I'm getting old:D:D

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
24!!!! I can't remember that far back ;)

Catty1
07-16-2008, 11:09 AM
dry crackers - saltines etc

Hope you feel better soon!

And hey - I'm almost 26 TWICE. ;) You kid you!:p

Karen
07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Ginger helps with nausea - so ginger ale and saltines is a good combination to settle one's tummy.

Or gingersnaps and mint tea - some tea that is not acidic.

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 11:23 AM
saltines and tea are taking the edge off :) It has been coming and going for a couple weeks so hopefully it will GO soon!

MoonandBean
07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Not to sound obvious but...could you be pregnant? If not, and none of the natural things help: pepto bismol is good and available over the counter. Or, your doc could call you in something if you need something stronger.

boomersooner
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
I hope you get to feeling better...all of the things suggested sound good. It would also help if you could just fall asleep and rest.....24? eh? One year shy of double that, here....If you are falling apart, I must be a jigsaw puzzle!! Feel better soon!!

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 11:52 AM
Not to sound obvious but...could you be pregnant?

NO!:eek: I already took a test just to make sure:o

jennielynn1970
07-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Jenn - just the thought of peaches makes me feel ill ;)

Not the peaches.... just the juice. Seriously, it works.

If my stomach is upset from the meds I take, then I use ice chips.

Ginger's Mom
07-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Not to sound obvious but...could you be pregnant?

Hehe, that is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title. :o:D

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 12:06 PM

That was my first thought to when I started feeling like this EVERY day. Thank heavens it was negative. Two kiddos is enough for this family.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
Not to sound obvious but...could you be pregnant? .

He he, that was my first thought too!!

ilovemypup
07-16-2008, 03:32 PM
I hear salty things help with the nausea also. hope you feel better!

Craftlady
07-16-2008, 04:22 PM
Dose of Pepto Bismal. It's nasty tasting pink stuff but it works.

Sirrahsim
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I tried Pepto Bismol once a long time ago. Within minutes of taking it I deposited it, and the contents of my stomach, as an offering to the porcelain gods:D I haven't tried it since and feel even more sick when I even think about it:o

Ugh time to make some more tea

Husky_mom
07-16-2008, 05:06 PM
I was on the same thinking as most... and I was gonna suggest waiting three months.. LOL...

so now knowing you´re not preg... you could try all the suggestions so far which is what I have heard work best...and if you keep at it... perhaps some dramamine?... not sure really... but it´s used for nauseas and dizzyness

Karen
07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Missy, I forgot to say - pay very strict attention to what you are eating. Some of my food allergies result in my being violently nauseous, so write down whatever you eat, just to make sure there's no correlation.

Emeraldgreen
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
I know a few people have posted 'ginger' already and it does tend to help. You can buy ginger tea which is amazing. It is soothing and tastes good too. Health food stores usually carry it. :)

finn's mom
07-17-2008, 12:10 AM
I have never had nausea where Emetrol didn't help. I swear by that stuff. The great part about it is that you keep taking it until you feel better. :) I've used it for everything from a strange bug I had once where I lost nearly six pounds in one day, eating bad food, and jagermeister hangovers. Thank goodness I've learned, and haven't had to use it in awhile. But, I do always keep a bottle of it.

jennielynn1970
07-17-2008, 03:10 AM
Emetrol. Ick. That stuff made me sicker than what I was. I don't like Pepto or anything like that. If I take either of those, it just does the reverse. :(

Pawsitive Thinking
07-17-2008, 05:29 AM
NO!:eek: I already took a test just to make sure:o

Test have been known to be wrong ;)

jennielynn1970
07-17-2008, 06:21 AM

EXACTLY!!!

Seriously, I'd go and get another 2 or 3 tests. And maybe call the doctor's office. Stomach upset lasting this long is strange unless you can pin it down to something else you're consuming that isn't agreeing with you.

Do you feel this was right when you wake up, or is it after your coffe/tea and your vitamins and such?

I know that my stomach is super sensitive to taking medicine on an almost emplty stomach. My will literally be doubled over on the sofa or in bed because it feels like my stomach is on fire. Zantac 150 has been helping in this. But also making sure I don't take too many Advil and Excederin. Bad habit from way back.

Sirrahsim
07-17-2008, 08:07 AM
what I am eating/drinking doesn't seem to impact it at all. I'm thinking maybe it is a combo of dehydration and lack of sleep? Maybe? Last night I went to bed right after the boys did and slept for a solid 11 hours *angels singing* I don't feel AS nauseated this morning. I picked up assorted things to try at the commissary today so I will use those as needed. I will eventually get around to calling the doc but right now it's nothing I can't manage.

I've never heard of Emetrol before but I can't see how sugar and a little phosphoric acid would make me feel better:confused: I'll keep it in mind if I run out of natural ideas though :):)

sirrahved
07-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Jason's favorite remedy is getting cola syrup (in health food section) and mixing it with crushed ice.

Sirrahsim
07-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Jason's favorite remedy is getting cola syrup (in health food section) and mixing it with crushed ice.

You know, that makes sense. My Dad always used to drink Coca Cola when he had the "errps".
I'll add that to my list:)

Thanks for the great ideas everyone!

shais_mom
07-17-2008, 06:14 PM

actually the OTC pregnancy tests are pretty accurate. :D
but the thought did cross my mind when i saw the title of the thread! ;)

if I'm nauseated. warm, yes warm coke helps me.

shepgirl
07-17-2008, 08:08 PM

Join the club...when I saw a few weeks I started thinking baby...lol.
don't know if this works but I just read last week where they discovered watermelon was good for nausea, they tested it on several people and it worked. Never tried it myself though.

mina'smomma
07-18-2008, 08:05 AM
Are you stressed more than usual Missy???? That is usually when I get nauseated. That and lack of sleep will do it. I can't stomach Pepto either. Another OTC to try is Gavascon. It usually works for me and doesn't make me feel sicker.