PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sweet Winkie :(

moosmom
07-16-2008, 09:58 AM
I woke up this morning and checked on Winkie. He likes to sleep on his back sometimes. I looked closer and noticed his breathing was even more labored than before. I tapped on the glass and he didn't respond. He didn't even roll over to see what the noise was. I called the vet and he told me to bring him in immediately. Dr. Haines, a vet that my family has used for years when we had our Airedales recognized me right away. It had been 40 years since I last saw him. He check Winkie over and said that he was in respiratory distress.:(:( He told me it wasn't going to get any better.

So, I had to make the ultimate decision. He gave him a sedative before humanely euthanizing him. I'm beside myself. :( After it was all over, Dr. Haines gave me a huge hug and told me that I was doing the right thing. I know, but deep down in my heart, I feel awful. I never thought I could love a rodent as much as I did you.

I don't have it in me to even look at his tank, let alone break it down.

Winkie, you were a wonderful little guy who had so much life in him and didn't mind my kitties. I am glad I rescued you from an awful fate. You gave me two wonderful years of pleasure. Play hard at the Rainbow Bridge and give Casey and Marina Mar hugs and kisses for me.

Love,

Your broken hearted Mama

jennielynn1970
07-16-2008, 10:18 AM
Oh Donna... I'm so sorry to read this!

I'm sure Winkie knew you loved him with every bit of your soul, and he loved and appreciated all that you did for him.

Maybe you don't have to break down the tank set up... maybe you'll find another rat to help??

Big hugs to you!

RIP Winkie... play hard up at the Bridge and enjoy being healthy and young again!

cassiesmom
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
[[[[hugs]]]] Donna

gini
07-16-2008, 10:37 AM
RIP Winkie - you are one of the lucky ones - you were well loved and cared for. You will be missed.

Catty1
07-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Oh, DONNA - I am so so sorry...did you mention a while ago that Winkie had lived a longer life than most rats? I KNOW our loved pets always go to soon, no matter what - but Winkie was blessed to have you as her mom, and lived a great life because of you.

HUGS!

Taz_Zoee
07-16-2008, 11:59 AM
I am so sorry Donna. :(
RIP Winkie

Freedom
07-16-2008, 03:45 PM
You did the right thing, Donna, the self less thing, for Winkie's sake.

RIP, dear Winkie, play and romp free at the Bridge.

Miss Z
07-16-2008, 04:14 PM
LES :(

I can't believe your sweet boy has gone. I've been thinking about the both of you all day. I'm so sorry PT vibes couldn't help. His suffering is over though, if any good can be seen out of this. You gave him such a wonderful life. Just imagine what a life he could have had if you hadn't 'rescued' him. Flossie and I will miss seeing his one-eyed face so much. :(:(

Now he can be with Tia, his first love. :love:

((((HUGS))) Remember, I'm only a PM away if you need me. I feel like I've lost a rattie of my own. :(

lvpets2002
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM
:( Oh no I am so so sorry for your loss Donna.. Rip wittle baby Winkie.. May you be at RB with the other Beloved Pet Angels..

chocolatepuppy
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
I'm sorry Donna. :( May Winkie Rest in Peace.

binka_nugget
07-16-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh Donna! I'm so sorry! :( *Hugs*

It's amazing how quickly they warm our hearts and bring so much joy into our lives. I'm sure sweet Winkie knew how much his momma loved him. :)

sasvermont
07-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Donna, I am sorry you had to go through this with Winkie. I am sure you made the last couple of years, his best. You did the right thing by ending his suffering.

(((((((((((((((((((Donna)))))))))))))))))

Sas

Karen
07-16-2008, 06:41 PM
Rest in peace, wee Winkie rat
Loved you were, we all know that
Now at the Rainbow Bridge
You can breathe well and free
And romp the green fields safe and joyfully.

Alysser
07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of Winkie's passing. :( RIP cutie. You were a very loved Rattie boy.

moosmom
07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't have it in me to even look at his tank which happens to be in my room. I miss him. I'll miss his love of marshmallows, sweet pickles and especially peanut butter and sleeping in between my boobs while I watched tv.

My heart is heavy. I haven't felt this awful since I had to put RB Casey down in 2002.:(

Winkie, you are now with your first love Tia. That should make you very happy.

Catty1
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
OH gosh...Donna, I reread your post above today...and realize I had thought you said "boots". :o

{{{{hugs}}}}

RockyRoad
07-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Donna, I`m so sorry to hear of little Winkie`s passing. Before I replied, I went back and read up on his story to "get to know" him a bit. You are a wonderful person for saving him from a terrible ending, and giving him the love, affection, and support that he deserved. I`m sorry to hear that his health went downhill, and that you had to make the painful decision to end his suffering. Hugs and prayers to you. Rest in peace, sweet Winkie. :love:

davidpizzica
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Oh, Donna gentle {{{{hugs}}}} to you, honey. I feel as if Winkie was part of my family, too. Donna, I'm getting LES here remembering my decision to put Thai down. I know Thai and Winkie are looking down on us at the RB.

Casper
07-19-2008, 07:15 AM
I am so sorry Donna. :(

Take comfort in the fact that you gave him a great life. He truly was blessed that the two of you crossed paths.

((((Hugs)))) and good vibes headed your way.

Rest Easy, Winkie.

kasey93
07-29-2008, 12:31 PM
I had to do the same thing with my hamster who had a tumor.
Don't feel bad He is eating all of his favorites having a grand ol time over the rainbow~

Rip:(