View Full Version : More on stress and depression....

catnapper
07-15-2008, 10:03 PM
I've been having a hard time with stress and depression lately. Back in March I had my Zoloft increased. It worked initially but I was experiencing some common side effects to a pretty high degree and recently started to feel the old depression/anxiety feelings come back. You know its creeping up on you when you start crying for no reason. Nicki's death two weeks ago only set me over the edge.

I've been stress eating like I used to eat for the past month. I even recognize while I'm eating that I'm not enjoying the food, I'm not hungry, and I feel awful. YET.... I still over eat everything I know I shouldn't. Its like I need the comfort food on some level. I don't know why, and I feel awful... bloated, cranky, sluggish. And what I don't understand is I'm NOT enjoying the food!!!!

On top of it all, I've been seriously losing my hair. I had the gamut of blood tests earlier this month and the good news is I am 100% healthy. We've determined the likely culprit for the hair loss is stress. I'm capitalizing on stress right now (oh if you all knew what all is going on in my life right now..... you'd be asking how I'm not in a corner curled up in the fetal position) Sooooo I saw the dr. this afternoon and we're dropping Zoloft to try Cymbalta.

Anyone have experience with this drug? I know some people experienced suicidal thoughts with it and I mentioned that to my doctor and he asked if I ever had those thoughts on Zoloft, which I haven't. He said I will be ok then. How long til I feel its effects? What type of side effects have you experienced?

I'm looking forward to feeling good again -- not just emotionally but physically. I can't stand feeling like a pig! I ENJOY eating healthy like I had been eating til last month! I truly don't understand why I've been eating so poorly..... I don't WANT to eat like this, I feel compelled to do so. Its blowing my mind!!! Its not a matter of will power. I've proven I can do it. I was so proud of myself. I felt so fabulous. Now I feel beaten and bloated and unhappy. I have no energy. I have one headache after another. I cry for no reason. I only want to sleep.... I would sleep 12 hours a day if you'd let me. I know its the depression talking --- I know other PTers totally understand what I'm saying.

Sorry this is a strange ramble. I just have to get this out :(

dukedogsmom
07-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Boy do I understand. When I lost Duke, I was in deep depression for months. I came very close to having a breakdown. Don't worry so much about your eating right now. I think you're trying to rush your dealing with Nicki's passing. Do you think you have a fear of success on losing weight? You might be sabotaging yourself. I've not had any experience with the meds so I can't help you there. It'll get better but it takes a lot of time. I would suggest taking your other dog (name escapes me) on some walks. That will help to release some good endorphins to make you feel better. I've been where you are and it's not fun. Also, several people here at PT helped me through pms whenever I wanted to talk.

catnapper
07-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Callie gets LOTS of walks. I typically walk her 1-2 miles at a time, at least 3 times a day. and my walks are brisk, not lazy little strolls. I only walked about a mile with her today (migraine was so bad that I didn't get out of bed til after 1:00 today).

We (Callie, Cameron, and I) walked to Friendly's tonight. She was such a good girl. She sat and stayed. People walked by her with ice cream and she didn't jump until the one lady said hi to her.... then the lady said, "oops, that was my fault!" when I corrected Callie for jumping. Cameron ended up with ice cream everywhere -- even on top of his head! :eek: I snapped a fast picture of him in the stroller covered in ice cream when I got home. I don't know what I'd do without Callie or Cameron. They both make me laugh. Their sweetness and purity just fill my heart with such warmth and joy.

I'm glad you understand - thanks ((hugs))

Catty1
07-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Kim - did your doctor recommend some counselling for you?

I recall your hubby was going, and I don't know about your daughter - but I suspect you are getting little to no support at home, and I am strongly suggesting counselling to support YOU until things change for the better.

Although you love spending time with Callie and Cam and they lighten your day, they still need looking after by you.

I hope the new med works for you. But please get someone to talk to also. You can always talk to us here, yes. But it's also great to have someone "with skin on". ;) ASk your doctor, or see if there is someone at the place where your husband goes, or was going. It's your turn.

I mean, Kim - your HAIR is falling out!

Karen
07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
I am glad you have Cameron and Callie - there is nothing like laughter to brighten one's outlook on life! I hope the new medicine works, and takes effect soon. And hey, at least you have less hair to worry about managing in the hot weather, right? ;) At least once a summer, I say "Maybe if I just shaved my head ..." but never go through with it. I think you have to be pretty to look okay with a bald head, I'd just scare people!

K9karen
07-15-2008, 11:15 PM
I have a friend on Cymbalta and it helped him tremendously.
I have no problems with Zoloft so I guess, like any other drug, it depends on the individual.

I hope it helps you and that you feel better soonest.

jennielynn1970
07-15-2008, 11:30 PM
I had been on Zoloft for 6-7 years, and it was lovely. Then, it wore off. Since then I've tried Prozac (ick), Effexor (blah), Wellbutrin (hellbutrin), and Zoloft again (didn't reactive, lol).

I'm now on Lexapro. I'm not happy with it. The way you feel now, with wanting to sleep all the time, lethargic, eating w/out needing or wanting to. I'm trying to do better, but I really need to get back to the doctor and insist on either a higher dosage or a change. I can't keep doing this, and need to do something to get a grip on it before school starts again.

Feeling crappy just seems to compound itself. I told myself a few weeks ago what I wanted to change, or start doing, and well, it hasn't happened yet. There are a ton of other stressors in my life(money, or lack thereof, being the biggest), and I think if I could get a hold on them, it would be a big help.

I really hope the Cymbalta will give you some peace, and you'll start to feel better about things, and yourself, again. I am here if you want to talk. :)

Hugs to you.

krazyaboutkatz
07-16-2008, 01:34 AM
Kim, I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling well.:( I hope that your new medication will work quickly so that you can get yourself back on track and start enjoying things again.:) Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Pawsitive Thinking
07-16-2008, 04:39 AM
Oh Kim - I am right with you on this one sweetie. When my Dad died I lost it completely - my drinking got totally out of hand and I seriously considered going to join my Dad (this is the first time I have actually admitted this in public).

Thankfully, the cloud did lift and a lot of the credit goes to little Tobey - he was always there to lick away my tears and make me smile again. Prozac is my friend.

Hang in there sweetheart - it will get better and we are all here for you xxx big hugs

catnapper
07-17-2008, 05:59 PM
I hope this new med works. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm dragging all the time. I take at least one nap a day, regardless what time I get home from work. The earlier the nap, the longer it is. Its not unusual for me to take a 3 hour nap anymore! Plus sleep 8 or 9 hours at night.

I also hope the headaches go away. I've had more stress headaches in the past few months than I have had in a long time. I used to get headaches like this in high school, then I went on Prozac and *poof* they disappeared. The Zoloft used to do the same thing.

Sigh..... I hate that my body gets used to medicine and its no longer effective. I know its normal, but its still depressing to have it stop working and all the lousy feelings return. :(

Medusa
07-17-2008, 06:38 PM
Eating comfort food is probably actually what you need right now, except that I understand that you don't want to gain weight. However, it isn't called comfort food for nothing. If you're not enjoying it, it's probably because it's carb loaded and that will make you want to continue eating but you won't necessarily enjoy it. So don't be too hard on yourself.

As for Cymbalta, I've been told that people have experienced good results w/it, however, I'm not one of them. In the beginning, I'll admit that it did work but I was taking it for pain because it raises the serotonin levels in the brain, serotonin being our body's natural painkiller. I wasn't taking it for depression, so I was looking for results other than what you're looking for. After a couple of months, though, I began having severe stomach pains which would double me over and last for hours, so I had to stop taking it. That in itself brought on a whole new set of problems because I should've been weaned off it instead of going cold turkey but my dr. was out of town and his medical asst. instructed me wrongly. Don't let my experience w/it deter you from trying it. You asked, so I'm telling you my experience. You may have a totally different experience but it's always good to know the possible side effects. Also, be prepared for weight gain. I gained 9 lbs. in just a couple of weeks. A friend is also on it for pain and he said that he can't stop eating.

I sure do hope that you can soon live a relatively stress free life and not lose your hair from it all. Take care and know that my PT friends are always in my prayers. :)

Craftlady
07-17-2008, 09:40 PM
Cymbalta, I was on it for less than a month. Gave me MAJOR diarreaha that would come on very suddenly. I tried taking it every other day, and I was on lowest dose. I took it for anixiety, dang diarreah was to much. Thank goodness dr gave me samples and I didnt have any $ invested. I quit taking it and didnt have any side effects from stopping it.
I know people who take it and have no problems. Good Luck.

RockyRoad
07-17-2008, 11:17 PM
I know what you mean. I was very depressed through my first two years of high school (mostly due to excessive bullying and thus questioning my own self-worth), and I felt the same way you do.

I took Zoloft for about five months. I felt great at first, but then it began to cease working, even after upping the dosage. I stopped cold-turkey but never had any withdrawal symptoms. I tried Cymbalta afterwards, and it irritated my stomach. I was very nauseous and would get stomach pains. I only stayed on it for about a month. I tried Seroquel after that, and experienced the same effects. However, I have been taking Concerta for ADD, which drastically speeds up my heart rate and hightens anxiety, and was taking Zoloft/Cymbalta to calm my anxiety and panic attacks more than depression, and essentially balance out Concerta`s side effects. So, the effects could have been due to the mixing of the meds. And I have a sensitive stomach to begin with.

I hope Cymbalta works out for you, though. One of my close friends is on it and has not had any stomach problems, and she is happy with it. I`m sorry that you are feeling like this, so I hope that you are able to find something that works for you and can help you out. {{Hugs}}

CathyBogart
07-18-2008, 12:15 PM
*Hugs* I've been having a lot of problems with depression lately too. I hope you're feeling better soon.

jazzcat
07-18-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't anything about the drug just wanted you to know I'm thinking about you. (((HUGS)))