PDA

View Full Version : Your life

Marigold2
07-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Do you feel that you are better off now then five years ago? Do you think you will be doing better five years from now? I find it a scary time with so many losing jobs and homes. I feel we are worst off now.

Giselle
07-14-2008, 11:43 PM
Ohhh, it's just the economy. After every depression, there is a moment of rebuilding, of potential "wisdom" and learning.

...But we all know by now that humanity as a whole is simply incapable of learning. Foresight? Hindsight? What are those? :rolleyes: Smile, nod your head, and say, "C'est la vie!" I've become quite misanthropic, lol..

Lady's Human
07-14-2008, 11:49 PM
Just a thought.....

but maybe if people hadn't allowed themselve to be conned into mortgages they couldn't afford there wouldn't be so many foreclosures?

As to whether I'm better off now than I was 5 years ago? Absolutely. I have 2 wonderful children, a house in the country surrounded by farmland and forests, and a job I enjoy. Add to that things that were already there prior to that (wife, family, a knuckleheaded dog), I can't complain.

Medusa
07-15-2008, 07:05 AM
I'm better off in some ways, not so much in others. After my divorce, I rented for 10 years and was beginning to think that I would never be able to afford a home of my own. I finally was able to purchase one 3 1/2 years ago and have been putting every extra penny into updates and repairs. So my life has improved in that way. However, I've lost a lot of friends in the last few years and that's very sad for me. It's scary to think that the economy is so shaky and that many of us could lose what we've worked so hard to obtain. Speculators in the housing market took a risk but people who truly only desired their "40 acres and mule" and now stand to lose it have my compassion. What affects one affects us all, whether we admit to it or not.

Alysser
07-15-2008, 08:15 AM
I am much better off. I was around 10 years old five years ago. I'm now fifteen. I've matured alot more, I am doing something that will help me alot in the future by being in the FFA program at school, I have a job I enjoy, and I care about things going on around me. In 5 years, I will be in college and hopefully working with the tigers at Six Flags. I like my job now, but working with animals, especially tigers, is way better. ;)

4 Dog Mother
07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
That is a very hard question for me. Five years ago, my son was alive and Carl and I both had better jobs. I loved my job and of course, we both loved our son.

Now we have two beautiful grandchildren. We are getting to spend time with them that we never expected to have. They know us and we know them far better than most grandparents. As far as jobs, we are both making considerablly less than we were. Carl's plant closed and he lost his job of 26 years. My job was eliminated and I lost mine of 16. So economically we are far worse off especially with the price of everything going up.

If we could keep the grandchildren, I would do anything to go back five years. Sometimes I think I would even bargain with the devil if I could have my son back!

Medusa
07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Sometimes I think I would even bargain with the devil if I could have my son back!

My heart ached when I read this. It brings to mind a line from one of Bonnie Raitt's song: "Sometimes there's lots more broken than anyone can really see". I'm sorry that your son's physical presence is no longer w/you but, of course, you know that he's always w/you in spirit. You must be an incredibly strong person to be able to even write about it here on this forum. I'm not so sure I could be as courageous as you in the same circumstances. :):love:

binka_nugget
07-15-2008, 10:08 AM
5 Years ago I was just entering grade 11. I just had Kai at the time.. other than that, I didn't have much else going for me. I didn't work and my school marks were mediocre (at best).

My current job is the highest paying job I've had so far. I'm adding additional income with a part-time job as well. I've explored dog training professionally and have been blessed to have paying clients, though I'm not sure if it's for me anymore. I was engaged (to the wrong man); That stung immediately afterwards but I'm SO glad I'm not with him anymore. I haven't seen many of my friends in a long time due to my work schedule and their school schedules.. sadly we're not as close as we used to be. It's expected that people drift when they enter the work force or university... so that wasn't a real shocker.

All in all, I'm quite happy with where I am right now. The only real downer in my life is how much I hate my job.. but it pays the bills so I can't really complain.

slick
07-15-2008, 10:41 AM
Very good question.
Financially, I'm alot worse off. The cost of living goes up every year but my salary doesn't reflect that and can't keep up. However, I have a comfortable condo with a wonderful view of the river (which I tend to take for granted until I get visitors :rolleyes:) and my mortgage will be paid off by the time I retire.

Jobwise, well, I'm just counting the years until I retire....9 more to go. I don't much like my boss and the work is OK. I've been with my present employer for 23 years and in that time my job has grown leaps and bounds and I've had to grow/change along with it and that's a good thing (says Martha).

Physically, I'm worse off....older, fatter and of course the cancer will never go away.

However I have to thank the cancer that lies within. You see "Mr. Cancer" has forced me to look at my priorities. My outlook on life, my overall mental well-being, and my attitude have changed drastically. Little things no longer bother me. I look at life in a different way. I'm now a "half full" kind of gal and I'm very optimistic about my future.

One last thing I have to point out is that 5 years ago, I had acquaintances, but no real, true friends. Now, and thanks to PT (take a bow Karen & Paul) I have many dear friends whom I love and am fortunate enough to experience not only deep and fulfilling friendship but a sense of belonging that I never felt before. The void has been filled.

With all that, how could I not be a happy person and better off? Life is good! :love::)

moosmom
07-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Well, considering 5 years ago I was living in Michigan, I'd say I'm better off. I have a roof over my head, my furbabies and I'm close to my friends and family again. I wish I could predict where my life will be in 5 years, but I can't. I can only live my life one day at a time, at this point.

Medusa
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM
I can only live my life one day at a time, at this point.

Sometimes that's all we can do, Donna. I find myself at times living from moment to moment and not just day to day. Life can be raw.

moosmom
07-15-2008, 12:02 PM
Mary,

Life can be raw

VERY!!!

lute
07-15-2008, 12:29 PM
In a few things I am better off now than I was 5 years ago and I feel I will only be more successful in 5 years from now. In others I wish my life would be as simple and care free as it was 5 years ago. Or even 2 years ago. I believe everyone goes through one BIG bump in their life and I just happen to be going through mine at a younger age. I do believe still today that everything will turn out the way it should and everything will be good once again.

Suki Wingy
07-15-2008, 03:22 PM
That is a difficult one. I was only 13 years old, so I had a LOT less to think about or be reponsible for. Right now I have a good job, but I still don't get enough hours, and just today I ran out of gas on the way to work because I simply didn't have enough money to fill up. I have the best barn and trainer and horses to ride that I've ever had, but that costs about 90% of my paycheck.
Right now I have about a month to decide where I'm going. I had a plan lined up but I'm starting to have second thoughts. I'm leaning towards finding a live-in groom/rider job at a top show stable and doing that for a year.
I don't think I can judge what time was better since they are so different.

Laura's Babies
07-15-2008, 03:51 PM
I am better off financially that I was 5 years ago. Everything is finally paid off, nothing now but month to month bills. The state of the economy has be really worried and I am scared of what is ahead...

Casper
07-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Five years ago I was 11, going on 12. I was most likely chasing my poor Friskie-dog around with the video camera, pretending like I was Steve Irwin and he was the croc. Things were good, but....
Life now is great. Everything is looking up from here.

Five years from now is going to be wonderful. I am excited.

k9krazee
07-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Neat thread. :)

5 years ago I was in high school, living under my parent's roof and had very few responsibilites. I thought money grew on trees and I was a royal pain in the butt. I got to do what I wanted when I wanted and had little respect for my family.

Now I'm a Junior in college, have experienced the "real world", have worked to keep food in my cupboards and no longer rely so heavily on my parents. As a result I've created a MUCH better relationship with them and the rest of my family. I have the most amazing boyfriend I could have ever asked for, think I know where I want to go with my life and can't wait to finish school and start living.

So, yes, I feel I am MUCH better off now than five years ago and I hope the future five will only get better.

Daisy and Delilah
07-15-2008, 07:28 PM
What a great question to ask ourselves. Very appropriate to what we've heard in the news, especially in the last couple of days.

2008 has been the worst year I've ever had in relation to my health. I am recovering from the 5th surgery on my left knee. I took so much time off work, they had to put me on a general leave of absence. In effect, I lost my position. In spite of a year long hiring freeze, my employer has just been given the go ahead to replace me. It's bittersweet for me. I'm sorry to lose the job but now they will be getting some much needed help.

After all that this year has given me, I have to still be thankful that I still have a car that I can make the payments on. I have a job waiting for me when I return-not the same one but one similiar to that one. I can still pay my bills without difficulty. I am in good health as far as everything goes except the knee. I don't know what else I would need to show me that I'm doing well in spite of the problems. I always say it could be alot worse.

I feel really bad for the people that are losing their homes, are in debt to the max with their credit cards, etc. I am so thankful that I can also make my mortgage payment and my credit cards are minimal amounts if any. I'm a lucky person.

Not being able to walk and get around is difficult but that's the only thing that's different than it was five years ago. The best part is that this dilemma will hopefully not last much longer.:)

Five years from now, I feel like I'll be able to catch up on time I've lost and be a totally new person!!