PDA

View Full Version : Best Friends - Homeless pets petition to Senator Obama! Sample letter to ed #7

Catty1
07-14-2008, 09:58 PM
Dear Members and Friends,

Shelter DogYou probably heard in the news that Senator Obama has promised his family they’ll get a new family dog after the November election.

The American Kennel Club jumped on this announcement with a list of possible “pure” breeds that the Obamas could buy from a pet store or breeder.

We’d like to propose something different to the senator and his family:

“With millions of homeless pets still being killed in shelters every year, please adopt your dog from a shelter or rescue group. Don’t buy from a pet store or breeder.”

It’s the same thing we say to people everywhere.

So we’ve launched a new website –
www.obamafamilydog.com (http://www.obamafamilydog.com)– where you can sign a petition encouraging the senator to save a life by adopting a homeless pet.

Whether you’re a Democrat or a Republican, left-wing, right-wing or any other wing, please sign the petition, and encourage all your friends and family to sign it, too.

It’s a great opportunity to promote the cause of homeless pets everywhere.

So, please sign the petition and read the story.

Thanks, and good wishes,

Michael Mountain
Best Friends

moosmom
07-15-2008, 12:25 PM
Done.

caseysmom
07-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Done...

MoonandBean
07-15-2008, 02:17 PM
Done :)

phesina
07-15-2008, 02:48 PM
Done!

Suki Wingy
07-15-2008, 03:00 PM
Done! I added my state since he is from the same as me.

Catty1
07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Best Friends has added a sample letter that you can send to your editor.

I'd sign, but I don't think Canadians count for this one! :)

Dear Members and Friends,

Best Friends Animal SocietyYou’re the best! Thanks so much to everyone who’s signed our petition to invite Barack Obama and his family to adopt a dog.

When the Obamas said they’d promised their kids they’d get a family dog after the election, the American Kennel Club started a campaign to encourage the family to get a “pure” breed from a pet store or commercial breeder.

How much better it would be if they were to adopt one from a shelter or rescue group.

In just over a day, 27,000 of you signed our petition at www.obamafamilydog.com, asking them to do just that.

It’s a great start, but we still need lots more signatures. So please forward this e-mail to friends and family and ask them to sign it, too. (And if you haven’t signed it yourself, please go ahead and do it now.)

This is not about politics, by the way, it’s about saving homeless pets. So let’s get all of America talking about why adopting a pet is a winning choice.

One other thing: You can also send a Letter to the Editor to your hometown newspaper. I’ve put an example of one at the end of this e-mail. Use it, or adapt it, or write your own.

Best Friends members have made a big difference already. Wouldn’t it be great to see homeless pets find their way onto the agenda of this year’s election news!

Thanks again, and good wishes from all of us,

Michael Mountain
Best Friends

P.S. Here’s the draft of a letter you could send to your local newspaper or post on a blog:

Dear Editor,

Senator Obama and his family have said that, win or lose, they’re going to add a dog to their family after the election this November.

That’s a great idea. But I hope they decide to adopt one from their local shelter. Why? Because as long as people still buy their pets from pet stores and commercial breeders, millions of abandoned pets are killed in shelters across the country every year.

So here’s one issue that’s truly bi-partisan – one that we can all agree on. Let’s ask our national leaders always to adopt their pets from shelters, rather than buying them from pet stores.

Members of Best Friends Animal Society have started a petition to invite the Obama family to do just that. Whether you're a Democrat or a Republican, left-wing, right-wing or any other wing, you can make a bipartisan difference by signing our petition at ObamaFamilyDog.com, and encouraging all your friends and family to sign it, too.

Thanks for thinking about the nation’s homeless pets!

Sincerely,

Your Name
Your Address
Your E-mail

catmandu
07-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Another Canadian who cant vote but pryas that Senator Obama takes in a Dog who has led a rough life, so he finally ends up in a Great Furr Ever Home.:love::love:
Senator Obama and his family will be getting a bargain with all the love and loyalty that Dog will provide.:D:D:D

Karen
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
I'd rather he concentrate on things like ending the war in Iraq, dealing with the floundering economy, our healthcare system et al. I am sure they have inundated with remarks since their daughters mentioned a puppy in the interview ... and I bet they'll be given a pup from someone once the campaign is over.