PDA

View Full Version : New On Line Resource

Freedom
07-13-2008, 07:47 PM
I haven't looked at it much, yet, so I am NOT saying this is a GOOD site; I'm just pointing out that it is available.

http://dogtraininglibrary.net

gardengirl
07-15-2008, 01:28 PM
Looks pretty good to me...

Giselle
07-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Most of the aggression articles are heavily based on the whole "dominance theory", which itself is a very heated topic, so I dunno... The articles are, for lack of better words, reeeeallly old school. Not quite alpha-roll-ish, but very "establish-your-dominance-y".

When dealing with these problems, there are usually two schools of thought:
1) this group believes that the dog is acting purely on animal instinct and the dog needs to be subdued to submit to authority. If the dog is truly submissive, then the dog will not be aggressive (physical domination is often encouraged with this group). This group often believes that dominance and aggression are necessarily interlinked.
2) this group believes that the dog is no longer a wolf and does not act 100% like a wolf. Therefore, it is not necessary to physically subdue a dog. Rather, this group works on mental rehabilitation through counter-conditioning and desensitizing to triggers to promote a calmer state of mind. This group understands that dominance is a social construct to eliminate tension over resources (and, therefore, any ensuing aggression). This group does NOT believe dominance and aggression are necessarily interlinked, although dominance aggression does exist (but, in their minds, it is rare).

I just wish the link included more of the latter group..