PDA

View Full Version : Death of a newspaper...

moosmom
07-12-2008, 08:32 PM
The Hartford Courant's new owners are planning on cutting 50+ jobs in the newsroom. My friend called me to tell me the news of exactly who is taking the buy-out. I'm very VERY upset about this. There are SO many wonderful, talented people at that paper whose jobs are being eliminated.

One of the people taking the buy-out is my friend Michael Kodas, the one who wrote High Crimes. I'm not siurprized because word has it another book is in the works. His wife Carolyn will stay on working on the web part of the newspaper.

One of the people taking the buy-out is my former editor whom I adored who also taught me everything I know about writing.

Those who don't take the buy-out are at risk of being laid off.

This brings up a whole flood of memories when the Hartford Times closed over 30 years ago.:(

I feel as though I'm in mourning. :( I'm on the verge of tears. :( I feel like it's deja vu of the Hartford Times all over again. All in the name of the almighty buck. Makes me ill. Pretty soon it'll be nothing more than an empty building.

Karen
07-12-2008, 09:14 PM
It is sad, but print media has been struggling for a while now. Sad, but not a surprise.

Karen
07-12-2008, 11:17 PM
A related, topical piece:

http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1821376,00.html?cnn=yes

Medusa
07-13-2008, 07:05 AM
It is sad, but print media has been struggling for a while now. Sad, but not a surprise.

Exactly what I was going to say. Try not to be depressed over this, Donna. It's out of your hands but you can be there for your friends if necessary. :)

RICHARD
07-13-2008, 08:21 AM
I love newspapers.

IT's the vidiots that are killing them.:rolleyes:

mugsy
07-13-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm sorry Donna...I know how much that place meant to you. I'm not always sure the internet is such a wonderful place to be..

Hang in there...if you need to talk, call me!!! I HOPE you still have my numbers! :p:) ( I had to try and make you smile)

moosmom
07-13-2008, 10:25 AM
My emotions got the best of me last night. I was exhausted from working 8 hours 2 days in a row, dealing with a-hole demanding customers (the flyer with the golden coupon came out the day before), being on my feet all day, having to smile when all I wanted to do is sit in a corner, drink and cry. Fortunately I was too tired to do either, except cry. I hadn't eaten all day and cooked myself a Bertoli Shrimp Scampi dish. I was even too tired to eat it so dinner is all set for tonight.

Medusa
07-13-2008, 11:03 AM
Boy, Donna, it's a good thing you and I aren't together right now or we'd cancel each other out. LOL I've been having one of those weeks, too, and I've been having one crying jag after another. Well, at least we have our PT friends for encouragement, right? Hang in there, girl, and enjoy that dinner tonight.

moosmom
07-13-2008, 11:32 AM
My sponsor called me back. She told me that the Hartford Courant is beyond my control (Serenity Prayer???) and I have to put my disease ahead of anything else. She's right. I'm going to an AA meeting tonight at 6 pm.

Right now I'm suiting up and going to hang out at my friend's pool with my kid.

Thanks for all your support and kindness guys!! You're the best!!

Catty1
07-13-2008, 01:42 PM
I was worried - and was going to email you about calling your sponsor. Glad you two have been in touch.

Remember - 'accepting' something does NOT mean liking it. It just means realizing the reality of what is happening, and being as okay with it as possible, seeing the Big Picture.

{{{{hugs}}}}

moosmom
07-13-2008, 04:17 PM
Catty1,

God grant me the serenity to ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE, the courage to change the things I can and THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.

I'm off to a meeting. Stay tuned. I'll call ya when I get back.