PDA

View Full Version : Pit bull set on fire in Trail, B.C. Update #5

Catty1
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2008/07/11/bc-pit-bull-burned-trail.html?ref=rss&loomia_si=t0:a16:g2:r1:c0.0651435
Pit bull set on fire in Trail, B.C.
Last Updated: Friday, July 11, 2008 | 11:55 AM ET

CBC News

Staff at the Arrow Lakes Veterinary Clinic care for Tigger, a pit bull who is recovering from burns at the clinic.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2008/07/11/bc-080711-burned-pit-bull-2.jpg
Staff at the Arrow Lakes Veterinary Clinic care for Tigger, a pit bull who is recovering from burns at the clinic. (CBC)

Police and SPCA officials in Trail, B.C., are on the hunt for someone who set a pit bull on fire and caused third-degree burns to at least 30 per cent of its body.

RCMP believe the dog was doused in gasoline and set on fire July 2. It was discovered by Randy Kaiser when it wandered into a Trail backyard.

"His face was all burned and scratched. He was missing skin on his legs. He was holding one up because he was in so much pain," said Kaiser on Wednesday.

The dog's owner told SPCA officials his dog, Tigger, went missing about two hours before he was found burned.

The 18-month-old dog is now on several kinds of painkillers and covered in gauze and bandages to promote healing and prevent infection.

"He has been very good — very patient with us. He's in a lot of pain," said veterinarian April Chappel of the Arrow Lakes Veterinary Clinic.

"We bandaged him up as best as we could through the whole chest and backside," said Chappel.

But Tigger is in very rough shape and recovery is expected to take a long time. The vet is hopeful, but says there is no guarantee he will pull through.

"Things have gotten worse over the past week as the tissue that was burned is dying. And he just actually came out of anesthetic to have his wounds debrided, to remove that dead tissue," said Chappel.

"It's pretty sad to see how bad this has gone and hopefully it won't get too much worse before it gets better. I really hope we find the guy," said Chappel.

Charges could be laid under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act and the Criminal Code, but so far there are no clues about who is responsible.

shepgirl
07-11-2008, 08:48 PM
Makes you wonder who would do something as evil as this doesn't it? Not yet 2 yrs old, such a shame for the human race, we're supposed to be the intelligent species...

elizabethann
07-11-2008, 10:03 PM
That poor dog. I hate people sometimes.

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
This happened in Dallas a few years ago. They named the dog, Mercy, but she didn't live....I think she survived the burns at first, but as with any burns, there are alway so many complications. They caught the guy who did it, though, and I think he got prison time. They theorize that this....um, can't call him a man....can't call him a person.....how about lump of evil burned Mercy because she wouldn't fight. The terrible thing, too, is that it happened right in the middle of a busy apartment complex. The general public just doesn't understand that anyone who would do that to an animal wouldn't hesitate doing the same thing to a child, a woman, anyone they feel superior to. Makes me sick to my stomach......

Catty1
07-11-2008, 11:09 PM
By the way - in another article, it was said that the owner could not afford the treatment, so had to surrender Tigger to the shelter so he could be treated.

I tend to believe that more than the account given here. This is not the owner's fault - dogs do escape yards - and I hope he gets enough donations to get Tigger back afterwards.

If Tigger makes it, God willing.:( PT Prayers for Tigger.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=5fcd3524-bc92-4cd6-9c2a-0604b7bef5e1

B.C. pit bull needs skin graft after being set ablaze
SPCA paying for treatment from its Biscuit Fund
Canwest News Service
Published: Thursday, July 10, 2008

VANCOUVER - A four-year-old pit bull will likely need a skin graft to make a full recovery after someone poured gasoline on it and set it on fire in Trail, B.C., an SPCA member said.

The dog, Tigger, was found July 2 when a Trail resident called the SPCA and reported an injured stray animal in his backyard. The dog, a male, suffered burns to its face, body and legs. It is recovering at a local animal shelter, receiving treatment every two days.

The dog's owner did not contact the the SPCA in time to claim the animal, so the SPCA is paying for the treatment with money from its Biscuit Fund, used for veterinary care and rehabilitation.

"This will be a long-term treatment that will involve skin grafts," said Eric Enkirch, special constable with the B.C. SPCA. "We are responsible and will be footing all the veterinary bills for this animal. By the time this is all said and done, (the vet bill) will be in the thousands of dollars."

Enkirch said in his two years on the job he has never seen a dog that was torched by someone.

"This sort of injury doesn't occur very often, but unfortunately we do see a lot of people who intentionally cause harm to animals," said Enkirch.

The investigation currently has produced no suspects.

© Vancouver Sun 2008

boomersooner
07-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Surely they will......in the dallas case, it WAS the owner who hurt the dog. Hopefully, this precious dog will survive and live a painfree life back with his owner.

jennielynn1970
07-11-2008, 11:17 PM
For the love of God, what is wrong with people?!

I just think it stinks when the person(s) who do things like this are caught, and then nothing happens because there aren't laws regarding cruelty to animals. Or at least stringent enough laws. That is something that really need to be changed, world over.

Laura's Babies
07-11-2008, 11:37 PM
It wasn't a human that did that, it was a MONSTER and that monster needs to be hunted down and shot!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-12-2008, 02:45 AM
So sad for the dog. Disgusting.

I hope the person rots in Hell for that. They deserve it:mad:

Medusa
07-12-2008, 05:52 AM
I don't want to lose faith in the human race but stories like this one make it increasingly difficult.

boomersooner
07-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I don't want to lose faith in the human race but stories like this one make it increasingly difficult.

You just have to remember that for every evil person like this, there are many, many, many good people with love in their heart. Sometimes it is hard to remember that, but it is soooo true. It is just that the evil people get all of the publicity, usually for the evil things they do.