PDA

View Full Version : WWII journal found...

CountryWolf07
07-10-2008, 07:14 PM
So, you all know that my Grandpa passed away on Sunday. He is at rest with Nana up in Heaven.. the mass & funeral was not as hard as I thought it would be. I felt at peace, but I will miss him tremendously. Well, today we got a phone call from the people living at his old house in Broadview Hts. saying they found his old WWII journal, and we are picking it up tonight..

I'm amazed by that, I cannot wait to view it tonight when my mom & uncle bring it home. I think it was his doing.

Thank you, Papa.

Also, thank you everyone... all of your thoughts and prayers are helping my family & I through this very tough time.

Karen
07-10-2008, 07:23 PM
Wow, what a treasure that will be! How interesting!

RICHARD
07-10-2008, 07:26 PM
IF you get a chance to watch a PBS show, "History Detectives" do it.

http://www.pbs.org/opb/historydetectives/investigations/601_wardiary.html

I saw this program this past weekend, it was very sad and interesting at the same time. Some of the writings that were quoted on the program were very touching....

boomersooner
07-10-2008, 08:33 PM
Wow! That is really, really cool.....My parents were World War II era teenagers (graduated in 1945). My dad wanted to enlist when he graduated but he was 9 months too young, and his parents wouldn't give permission. I grew up hearing all of the stories and stuff.....That is really cool to have that insight into that era...So many of those men (and women, too, who served as nurses, etc) have passed on. God Bless your Grandpa!

Suki Wingy
07-10-2008, 08:41 PM
That will be very interesting! I have a journal my dad wrote in 1980 when he hitchhiked to Alaska, and I cherish it just because I can see the similarities between us. I am about the age he was when he wrote it.

Laura's Babies
07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
That is a piece of history! What a prize to cherish forever to have for generations to come. OH.... I would be SO excited!

pitc9
07-11-2008, 09:25 AM
Wow! How exciting!!

smokey the elder
07-11-2008, 10:18 AM
What a tremendous legacy! First-person accounts will only be found in writing, soon, so it's good you have this.

elizabethann
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
That is pretty cool. I bet there is a lot of interesting information in that journal.