PDA

View Full Version : Greatest American Dog

elizabethann
07-10-2008, 11:31 AM
Is anybody going to watch Greatest American Dog tonight? It's at 8pm EST. I can't wait. Fenway & I will watch it together (unlesss of course it thunders or there are fireworks, then Fenway will be under the bed).

MoonandBean
07-10-2008, 11:32 AM
Sunny and I will be at puppy kindergarten but I will be taping it!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-10-2008, 11:45 AM
Melissa told me about this, so I also am putting it on DVR. SO EXCITED!

pitc9
07-10-2008, 03:56 PM
Oh that's right!!

Thanks for reminding me!
I'll be at my parent's house while my hubby and my dad are fixing my car, maybe I'll be home in time for it!
Or if I'm still there, my mom and I will sit down and watch it while the guys are out in the garage! :p

K9karen
07-10-2008, 08:50 PM
I laughed like crazy..the JR that got a Bark Mitzvah!!!
I really like the older guy with Star, the Brittany.
And of course, I'm crazy about Border Collies.
But I love Tiller, the Bulldog, too...
What am I saying? I love all those dogs. They're all special.

Cincy'sMom
07-10-2008, 09:15 PM
What am I saying? I love all those dogs. They're all special.

The dogs, yes. The people...wow! Some strange birds in the group for sure! I think I like Ron and Tillman (Bulldog) the best, but love, Presley (Boxer) too. I'm glad at who was expelled...the dog was cute, but he was too much!!

RICHARD
07-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Elvis

Cinder & Smoke
07-10-2008, 10:58 PM
The dogs, yes.
The people ... wow!
Some strange birds in the group for sure!

... who was expelled ... the dog was cute, but he was too much!!

DITTO on those thoughts! :p

Did the Dawg Howze seem to get "BIGGER" in each shot? :confused:

elizabethann
07-11-2008, 07:09 AM
I thought the dog house was awful. But I thought it was nice that everyone went outside to made Eddie and his owner comfortable.

The Barkmitvah was hillarious! I wish I was Jewish just so I could have one for Fenway!

Did you see the Boxer that jumped in the pool and he'd never been in a pool before? He went under! The poor thing. But he quickly learned the dog paddle and paddled right out of the pool. What a cutie (and very smart for his age).

I love Andrew and his owner.

What was up with the dog with the down vest and leggings? That was over the top. But I did love the dog with the colored mowhawk.

anna_66
07-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Is anyone still watching this? I really love it and think it's so cute.
Have to say, Tillman, Preston and Presley are my favorites:) But I love them all!

Ginger's Mom
07-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Yeah, all of my family watch the show and then we call each other. LOL. I love Tillman, he is so cute. I really like Star, too, but then I have a big soft spot for Brittanys. Presley is alright, he is my sister's favorite.

sparks19
07-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Presley and his owner are so adorable lol

I also love Bill and Star. When they showed him crying because he missed his wife... I couldn't hold back the tears and then star got hurt and he was so upset. broke my heart. Those two just have such a wonderful connection I love them.

That Beth Joy chick that dresses her dog to the nines is really... um... out there isn't she lol. You don't argue with the judges you crazy whacko... just shut up and nod your head.

elizabethann
07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
I'm still watching it. I thought Andrew's owner was kind of mean this week - calling out Elvis. Poor Elvis got a bum rap.

I cry everytime I watch this show because the relationships between dogs and their people are beautiful.

Bella Star is adorable. It's her owner that's a little nuts. I think I saw Bella Star in a bunny costume this week.

kt_luvs_kitties
07-26-2008, 03:47 PM
I am still watching, my favorite is Star and Bill. They are both too sweet.

I have talked to Laurie (Andrews owner) before and she is really nice. She owns a fitness club for dogs about 2 hours from where I live. She has like 5-6 dogs! Some large, and 2 more Malteses' also. I think Andrew is really sweet, and well trained too... I did NOT like when she called Elvis out though:eek:

I LOVE Presley! He is just too cute!

I do not like Bella Starlets mom, or Beacons mom. C-R-A-Z-Y!!! And loud too:o

Karen
07-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I do not like Bella Starlets mom, or Beacons mom. C-R-A-Z-Y!!! And loud too:o

I thought it was quite telling when all the others decided to leave The Dog Bone Suite to Brandy and Beacon - she's just too squeaky for everyone else's taste!

elizabethann
07-26-2008, 05:31 PM
Oh yes....how could I forget the squeeker. She really bugged me.

k9krazee
07-26-2008, 08:04 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not sending in an application to be on the show! :p A lady contacted me middle of the year last year about it and I was way too busy to think about it twice.

Oh well, I've still enjoyed the show thus far...when I remember to watch it! I have to ditto the Presley and his owner comment, they are both too cute, and definitely my favorites!

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 08:26 PM
I'm still kicking myself for not sending in an application to be on the show! :p A lady contacted me middle of the year last year about it and I was way too busy to think about it twice.

Oh well, I've still enjoyed the show thus far...when I remember to watch it! I have to ditto the Presley and his owner comment, they are both too cute, and definitely my favorites!

omg! Last week when I was watching it - I actually thought to myself- the person that should be doing this is ASHLEE - she would kick butt!

I wasn't going to watch it b/c I do not do reality tv until one of my friends kept txting me during the first epi and I was hooked.
I was soooooooooo glad that Kinji and that witch owner went home last week, I couldn't stand the "ah -ah - ah -- ah - ah" that was AWFUL.

And Brandy was just as bad this week with her squeaky voice that could cut glass.

Beth Joy needs - ah I dunno a good clunk in the head maybe? She really peeved me off last week when she argued with the judges. Her facial expressions just look like she's a spoiled brat.

I love Bill and Star - I cried when she got hurt last week.

I cracked up at Tillman's owner's comment that the voice that Preston needs doesn't come out of this body. lmao

I think its awesome how well all the dogs get along.

They don't really showcase much the girl with the BC. It will be interesting next week seeings it looks like she about sends him over the edge and he gets snappy.

I joined their dogster fan club but haven't checked it out at all.
My friend said that some of the owners have been in commercials.
:confused:

sparks19
07-26-2008, 09:30 PM
I thought it was quite telling when all the others decided to leave The Dog Bone Suite to Brandy and Beacon - she's just too squeaky for everyone else's taste!

LOL yeah and she looked MAAAAAAAAD that she didn't get to share the room with Presley's owner lol.

Yeah I just cannot handle listening to that girl. and the way she was freaking out during the dog challenge. I think I would have had to smack her across the face and yell "Get a hold of yourself"

shais_mom
07-26-2008, 10:18 PM
LOL yeah and she looked MAAAAAAAAD that she didn't get to share the room with Presley's owner lol.

Yeah I just cannot handle listening to that girl. and the way she was freaking out during the dog challenge. I think I would have had to smack her across the face and yell "Get a hold of yourself"

ohhh yea
you could almost see the green jealousy oooooozzing from her when Preston's owner and Presley's owner (oii) were flirting.

Logan
07-26-2008, 11:12 PM
I missed it this week, but I know I love Tillman (Mack does too ;) ) and I think Star and her dad are charming as well.

molucass
07-27-2008, 01:48 AM
I thought Andrew's owner should have went home rather than Elvis' owner...
She cheated twice during the competition..
First she made the hole bigger for him in the one with the paper, and one the one with the red feathers, she held them over to the side so he wouldn't be scared to go through.

I'm sorry but if your dog can't do what they have laid out for them, then you shouldn't compete with it.

The girl with the schnauzer, Beacon, cheated too though holding up the sock at the end of the tunnel.

Tillman and Presley are my 2 favorites.

shais_mom
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
I missed it this week, but I know I love Tillman (Mack does too ;) ) and I think Star and her dad are charming as well.

you can watch it online!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Star and Tillman are my favorites!!! :love:

This show reminds me of Big Brother with a touch of American Idol thrown in! :D

Karen
07-27-2008, 02:20 PM

I bet there will be another year - you should definitely apply, Jack would do so well! :) And you're a lot nicer than a couple of those people seem! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
07-28-2008, 01:00 PM
I just saw an ad and the show will be on Wednesdays starting this week!

shais_mom
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
ack that's good to know!

shais_mom
07-28-2008, 03:50 PM
I bet there will be another year - you should definitely apply, Jack would do so well! :) And you're a lot nicer than a couple of those people seem! :)

and not nearly as crazy.
well,
I think anyway! ;)
:love:

Ginger's Mom
07-30-2008, 12:10 PM
Okay, I don't want to seem thick-headed, but is this show on tonight or tomorrow night? I checked two on-line TV listings and they both say Big Brother repeat is on tonight at 8:00, and Greatest American Dog is on tomorrow night. But the Greatest American Dog site says Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. I have no way to record (I have a dvd player but not recorder) or view on-line (dial-up), and I really don't want to miss this show.

And I agree with everyone else, Ashley, if there are going to be subsequent seasons of Greatest American Dog, I would love to see you and Jack on it. :)

sparks19
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM
Okay, I don't want to seem thick-headed, but is this show on tonight or tomorrow night? I checked two on-line TV listings and they both say Big Brother repeat is on tonight at 8:00, and Greatest American Dog is on tomorrow night. But the Greatest American Dog site says Wednesday at 8:00 p.m. I have no way to record (I have a dvd player but not recorder) or view on-line (dial-up), and I really don't want to miss this show.

And I agree with everyone else, Ashley, if there are going to be subsequent seasons of Greatest American Dog, I would love to see you and Jack on it. :)

It's on tonight at 8.

elizabethann
07-30-2008, 12:17 PM

I saw a commercial yesterday and it said the show moved to Wednesday night. It didn't say what time though.

Ginger's Mom
07-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Thank you, I just got worried when I looked at the on-line listings. I knew Pet Talkers would know the right answer. I will be in front of the set at 8:00. :D

shais_mom
07-30-2008, 12:27 PM
I checked my DVR and it is set to record GAD tonight (set it to record all new episodes). But my TV guide lists the show for NEXT week back to Thursday so I dunno what will happen after tonight!

momoffuzzyfaces
07-30-2008, 12:30 PM
I saw the commercial again today. It's on tonight before Big Brother.

It sometimes takes tv guides a while to change their listings.

The worst that could happen if you tuned in tonight and it's not on, is you'll have to find something else to watch. If you wait until tomorrow and it's on tonight, well, you will have missed it. ;)

sparks19
07-30-2008, 09:38 PM
did you guys watch?

MAN I wish that stupid witch Brandy went home. What is with her? she just doesn't seem right in the head to me.

I am sad that Tillman is gone :(

I dont' know some of the pictures that they were so critical of I really liked. and what was Victoria Stillwell thinking when she said she loved brandy's picture. It was a picture of a dog sitting for a treat bit woop.

I thought tillmans picture was cute. and they didn't like travis' pic either... I thought it was ADORABLE and a perfect picture to bring ou t HIS dogs personality.

I thought theresa and Leroy really got a bum deal.... Anger? that sucks. I certainly didn't like her tactics with him though and I thought the snarl band was the most humane thing she tried

anna_66
07-31-2008, 08:12 AM
I'm soooo sad Tillman went home. There is no way he should have:mad:
That dog really made the show (farting in the water...lol!)

4 Dog Mother
07-31-2008, 09:01 AM
I have been watching as well and I too think that last week Elvis should have stayed and Andrew should have gone and this week Brandy and her dog should have gone home instead of Tillman. I also love to watch Design Star and I think sometimes they keep the wackos longer because it brings more interest to the show. If they only left the nice people, there would be no friction and probably make the show less interesting. I mean who would we complain about?

Oh, Ashley, I'm can't imagine there won't be a second season. You really must get Jack on. It would have been great to see him against Presley, Star and Galaxy. I know Jack could beat any of them and as far as you....well you couldn't be any worse than Brandy, right? (I am seriously just kidding and I hope you know that, dear friend).

pitc9
07-31-2008, 09:19 AM
I too was sad to see Tilman go home. :(

Oh Ashley, you HAVE to try out for this show!
You and Jack would Kick BUTT!!!

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2008, 09:21 AM
Not Tillman!!! Why did they have to send Tillman home? :( He made that show, I loved him, and so did almost everyone else I talk to. We need to start a Bring Tillman Back movement. :p

Daisy and Delilah
07-31-2008, 09:31 AM
Not Tillman!!! Why did they have to send Tillman home? :( He made that show, I loved him, and so did almost everyone else I talk to. We need to start a Bring Tillman Back movement. :p

I agree, Joyce!! Tillman seemed to be the favorite of everybody.;) What a cute boy.

fritz03
07-31-2008, 10:06 AM
I don't think Tillman should have gone,either the Schnauzer or the Border Collie should have went,didn't like the the the picture of the Border Collie turned out,thought it cute the Maltese looking through the telescope.

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2008, 10:30 AM
I agree with you Barry, I think the schnauzer should go, too. And although I am not a huge fan of Andrew and his owner, that picture did turn out very nicely. Very clever.

sparks19
07-31-2008, 12:40 PM
I agree with you Barry, I think the schnauzer should go, too. And although I am not a huge fan of Andrew and his owner, that picture did turn out very nicely. Very clever.

That was a great picture lol. Kudos to the photographer too for snapping it at JUST the right second. Really looked like he ws looking through it lol.

And I think if I were the lady that owned the Border Collie that had "Angry" as her word.... I would have had to fight Beth Joy. LOL that's another one I can't stand. her dog is very cute but man that woman stomps on my last nerve. she just has an opinion about everyone and everything. "OH it gave me the chills" SHUT UP lol it was a stupid little rubber band.... you dress your dog head to toe in 90 degree weather. I would have had to pound on her just a little bit lol

momoffuzzyfaces
07-31-2008, 01:09 PM
I wish they would have sent Brandy and her dog home. Everything is about HER!!! I can't believe she got her nose out of joint when that couple were flirting with each other at the kitchen sink. They both are single and unattached so what business it is of hers if they flirt. Just because they ingorned HER!!! :rolleyes:

I certainly will miss Tillman. I'm so glad he gave the judges an, um, gassy salute when he left!!! :D

elizabethann
07-31-2008, 01:51 PM
I was very disappointed in last nights show. I think the producers were wrong to include the word "anger" in the photo shoot.

I'm not sure I'll continue to watch. :(

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2008, 02:20 PM
Really? That is interesting. Because I do think of "anger" as being an emotion, a visceral sort of thing, that animals can display. What seemed a bit unusual to me is "sneaky." That is a concept that animals can't understand. Animals don't think in concepts (maybe if they had said stealth). I think I would have been more upset with them including something that is unnatural to animals rather than something that is a basic part of nature.

elizabethann
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
But why would you want your dog to display anger?

I asked myself what would I have done if I was on the show. I would not have used the bands, nor would I have used the spray in his face.

I thought I would just hope that Fenway was showing his underbite. Some people see him with his underbite and they think he's mad and growling.

I just wouldn't subject Fenway to that trauma just for a photoshoot. The money's not worth it.

I think the producers could have used some other words other than anger. There are dozens of words I would have rather seen them use - silly, adorable, cute, funny.

Anger's just too mean and I don't have a mean dog.

Just my thoughts.

Ginger's Mom
07-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Not trying to be argumentative, I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other, but this is a talent show. They are looking to see who can get their dogs to perform in certain ways. Sometimes in doing a photo shoot or commercial something like anger may be needed for the shoot. Would I have wanted to have drawn that word, absolutely not, but I don't think the inclusion of it would make me stop watching the show.

shais_mom
07-31-2008, 02:56 PM
I can't wait for Brandy to be kicked off, I LOVED LOVED LOVED Travis' comment to her right after the judging. "sure we can talk about you - it might be your last day here" I LOVED IT!
Beth Joy - I wanna smack her - she just looks like a spoiled child.
Whats-her-name with Leroy, - just ICK - I don't think the bands were a bad thing- they use them in the movies so I didn't think they were inhumane. I felt bad for the girl (preston's mom) who suggested it but wonder if there is an ulterior motive?
interesting.
I LOVED Presley's picture - I thought it was a good one. I thought they were a bit harsh in their judgement of Tillman's pics.

RICHARD
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I had a Shiz Tzu/terrier mix that I was teaching to bare his teeth.

I was trying to get him to go on the command "SMILE".

They were trying to get the impression of the emotion- not the real thing.
That would be plain stupid.:rolleyes:

---------------

The human reality shows are much better. You get to see the real animals in action.

Karen
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
I was sad to see Tillman go, though I'm sure there were much better pictures taken, and his owner just made a poor choice.

I think Brandy has a crush on Travis, so was jealous that he and the other woman were getting along well. Brandy seems to be very self-centered, though maybe that is just the editing.

I was so glad Bill and Star got good marks for her photo, she's just such a sweetie, and he obviously just loves her to bits, that I was worried they wouldn't do well because he said he wasn't creative.

I agree - they shouldn't have chosen "anger" as one of the words, that was just unfair.

Logan
08-01-2008, 05:15 PM
Karen, I agree with you 100%. You know, I don't know a lot, but one thing I know is that it is not hard to make an English Bulldog look lazy! LOL!! I have tons of lazy pictures of Mack, in fact, those are about the only pictures I have of Mack. The guy could have picked a better pose of Tillman for sure. But Mack and I were ticked off when Tillman was let go. I don't even know these human names, but I love all the dogs. I was most annoyed with the Schnauzer's human and the human belonging to Leroy. I will agree, too, that "angry" is not an emotion that one wants to force in their dog! OMG, I have enough of problem with that at home, trying to control it with my two boys. Why in the world would anyone want to make their dog look angry?? Just the tactics of the owner were enough for me to want to boot her off and steal her dog. :eek:

shais_mom
08-01-2008, 10:16 PM
I dunno - it was suggested by Preston's owner for her to use them, ultimately her decision of course. But was it underhanded for her to suggest them? Was there an ulterior motive? Who knows?!
Anger probably wasn't the greatest emotion to use, but all I would have to do is withhold a tennis ball from Keegan to get her to show it when she is barking rapidly at me. I thought Leroy's owner deserved the bite she got - I don't think the photographer was thrilled with her either. But will I stop watching it b/c of that choice, no, I don't stop watching ER b/c they hang xrays upside down and I know better.;)

sparks19
08-01-2008, 11:18 PM
You know... although it's easy for me to say since I have nothing at stake... but if I got "Angry" as my word I would have just taken regular pictures of my dogs being themselves and when they asked me to explain I would simply tell them that ANGER is not a display I encourage in my dogs and even though it might cost me the contest I will not compromise my dog or my belief that he has NO NEED to display anger. I would tell them that while my dog is very obedient ANGER is not something I teach him to display unless it is a natural feeling that he experiences and I will NOT cause that real feeling to occur.

Now if I could get Beezer barking I could get the picture but it is not something I want to encourage. the contest is only for a few weeks. making my dog FEEL REAL anger to show it in a picture could last forever.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-02-2008, 11:56 AM
My dogs used to look angry when I would brush the hair between their eyes the wrong way. I would have tried that. A dog can look angry without snarling, like ears back, barking etc. I would bite any one who came at me with a vacuum cleaner hose too!!! :(

sparks19
08-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Did you guys watch last night?

AWWWWWWWW did anyone else tear up when Theresa gave up her win so that Bill could have the dogbone suite and have pictures of his wife and children and grandchildren? That was so incredibly sweet and selfless.

I just love bill and Star. they are by far my favorites. He just seems like such a good man. He seems like the type of guy who has never met a stranger :) and his dance was so funny. they were great

I am SOOOOOOOOOO glad Brandy is gone. THANK THE LORD because I really am not sure I could have stood one more week of her "woe is me" act lol

JD is starting to get on my nerves too. I mean yes his dog is VERY obedient and they obviously have an amazing bond but does anyone else get the feeling that it's more about JD himself than his dog? he just gives off the impression that he's the best and while he is definitely better than most I don't think he is that far ahead of some of the other competition. he just seems so arrogant and I don't like that.

That one judge too with the dog drives me nuts. It's like she is trying to be the Simon cowell of dogs hahaha. Rarely do I ever hear her say anything constructive. she just finds the silliest little things to pick on. I like that male judge though lol he makes me laugh sometimes

momoffuzzyfaces
08-07-2008, 12:16 PM
I agree with your entire post!!! ;):)
You summed up how I felt about the entire show rather nicely! How did you get into my brain? :D

I do feel sorry for the dog Beacon though. Poor thing has to go home with Brandy! :(

Karen
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I think Beacon does love Brandy, but likes her better when she's not in stressed-out training mode. Brandy just isn't a good dog trainer, but she does love Beacon, even if she doesn't understand her, poor thing. I am glad for both of their sakes that they went home. And I thought that Bill and Star and JD and Galaxy had better routines than Andy and his owner. I liked Teresa a whole lot more after she gave the Dog Bone Suite to Bill.

ParNone
08-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I love this show. My fave is, of course Bill from Texas, with Star. He totally gets it and it shows with the bond he has with Star.

Of the performances last night, Bill and Star's rock-a-billy and JD and Galaxy's hip hop, were my faves, but I understood why they gave the win to the Maltese. I wonder why they didn't give the same consideration to training difficulties with the Jack Russell. Apparently they've never had terriers. :)

As to the photoshoot from the previous week, I think there's some misunderstanding of what was expected. They weren't suppose to be doing things to the dog to make the dog feel the emotion they were given, i.e. rile the dog up until he's angry. They were suppose to be creative and train the dog to do something that would represent the emotion. Star wasn't being "stubborn", she was actually being obedient. Bill put her in a sit-stay, while he tugged on the leash and she stayed sitting, like he asked, but it looks like "stubborn" in the photograph.

Personally I would have hated to get word "lazy" having Collies. To get them to not be alert in that type of situation would have been really hard. I would have wanted the word "love" I think. I would have chosen a red background, then I would have had Oz balancing a Hershey's Kiss on his nose. :)

Par...

sparks19
08-07-2008, 02:28 PM
LOL Momoffuzzyfaces... I can't tell you how I got in... but can you tell me how to get out? :D hehe

Great minds just think alike I guess haha.

Yeah they couldn't really give the special mention to Bill since he had the choreographer and it was obvious he wasn't the one going home anyway lol.

I liked JD's routine but it just seems more and more that it's about HIM and not the dog. "I used to be a Michael Jackson impersonator. Dance is a big part of MY life. I go to clubs and dance all the time" did he even mention Galaxy at all? lol And did he seem kind of angry at first when Galaxy didn't make it across the balance beam or was that just me?

Yeah I think Brandy and Beacon will be better off being at home back to normal. Beacon was REALLY not responding well to Brandy's stress levels. Man if she put half as much effort into GOOD training as she did into whining and crying she would be a GREAT trainer.

LOL BTW did anyone notice that dress that Preston's owner was wearing? it looked great on her but she almost showed her "business" to the entire nation when she got down on her knees and leaned back in it lol

4 Dog Mother
08-07-2008, 05:03 PM
I liked last night's show a lot. I was very glad to see Brandy and Beacon go home - she should have gone home long before now. I cannot stand JD - he seems to be a good trainer but like some others said, it seems to be more about him than the dog. Teresa giving Bill that dog bone made me cry - it is evident that he loves his family so very much and that he loves and understands Star. I honestly think they should win just because of that. I think that Teresa knows her dog is not going to win the final challenge and so giving Bill the dogbone and a leg up might help the one she wants to win - and I also think she was just being thoughtul and generous to Bill. I'm kind of thinking that it is going to end up being JD though because he has worked a lot with that dog. I did laugh when the dog jumped off the beam - like one of the others on the show said you could see steam coming out of his ears. I almost had a feeling that if he didn't already know the judges did not favor hitting or talking to your dog meanly, he would have shown his anger on the dog.

shais_mom
08-08-2008, 12:53 AM
*I agree - I cried too when Bill got to see the pics of his family.

*The shining moment for Brandy - the only time she made sense to me was her parting words were that Beacon was already the greatest American dog in her heart.

*I was really surprised at Travis and Presley and Laura and Preston's dance performance. I think Preston was annoyed by the bow on him not looking for treats, he kept scratching at it. And apparently Travis doesn't know how to dance to country music, he wasn't enjoying himself so I think Presley just followed suit.

*I was really shocked when Star took off and ran to the judges, that seemed like something totally out of character for her, I'm glad that it was after the song ended and they didn't take off points for that.

*JD annoys me - you could just see that he could have the potentional to not treat his dog very kindly, and it's all about me. He even looked pi$$ed when he didn't get the Honorable Mention that went to Lori and Andrew. I think he is looking at this as HIS claim to fame not the dog's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I wouldn't trade spots with them for anything, time away from family and the stress of being with people you don't know would have to be taxing. I can't imagine. I imagine the people are getting tired, and the dogs are out of their element and getting tired and feeding off their people's emotions.

That one judge too with the dog drives me nuts. It's like she is trying to be the Simon cowell of dogs hahaha. Rarely do I ever hear her say anything constructive. she just finds the silliest little things to pick on.
Are you talking about Victoria or the one with the dog on her lap all the time?
I think that b/c Victoria is a dog trainer she just thinks that she could do so much better at training the dogs to do the task that is asked of them. I don't watch Idol, but I don't think she's near as harsh as Simon! lol - but if you aren't talking about Victoria then I don't know what to think of that! ;) But that other one with the dog on her lap, she isn't a dog trainer so I don't think she would be a whole lot better out there!
One of my friends told me that some of the people on the show have performed in commercials before. They have a group started on Dogster for them but b/c most of the people on the show are member's of Dogster you have to watch what you say so you don't hurt their feelings.

sparks19
08-08-2008, 12:39 PM
victoria is the british woman right? No I like her. Especially after the dance when they clapped for Star and Star ran over to great them.. she said something along the lines of how she loves to see a dog just go YIPPEE because then you really know they are having a good time too.

I'm talking about the lady that has the maltese in her lap all the time. I don't even know her name lol.

she's just... UGH lol. Like she laughs at them and says how horrible they were. that's not constructive lol. the other two judges are able to give their poor reviews without acting childish. LIke when she said "That is the WORST picture of a bulldog I have EVER seen" REally? I didn't think it was anywhere NEAR as bad as she was making it out to be. And when Beth Joy was arguing with her about the clothing on her dog... I mean don't get me wrong I would have wanted to slap Beth Joy upside the head... but this woman is a judge and she was just arguing back and forth with Beth Joy. To me that just shows lack of professionalism. State your case and when they argue just say sorry but that's my final decision and arguing is only going to make it harder on you. But the argument sounded like "UH HUH" "Nuh Uh" "Ya huh" "Nuh UH" stupid lol

shais_mom
08-08-2008, 01:02 PM
victoria is the british woman right? No I like her. Especially after the dance when they clapped for Star and Star ran over to great them.. she said something along the lines of how she loves to see a dog just go YIPPEE because then you really know they are having a good time too.

I'm talking about the lady that has the maltese in her lap all the time. I don't even know her name lol.

she's just... UGH lol. Like she laughs at them and says how horrible they were. that's not constructive lol. the other two judges are able to give their poor reviews without acting childish. LIke when she said "That is the WORST picture of a bulldog I have EVER seen" REally? I didn't think it was anywhere NEAR as bad as she was making it out to be. And when Beth Joy was arguing with her about the clothing on her dog... I mean don't get me wrong I would have wanted to slap Beth Joy upside the head... but this woman is a judge and she was just arguing back and forth with Beth Joy. To me that just shows lack of professionalism. State your case and when they argue just say sorry but that's my final decision and arguing is only going to make it harder on you. But the argument sounded like "UH HUH" "Nuh Uh" "Ya huh" "Nuh UH" stupid lol

exactly!
yea Victoria is the British lady. :)
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/greatest_american_dog/about/judges.php
(I had to look up her name!)
If Wendy wants to be more professional, I think she really needs to leave HER dog in the dressing room! Its a cute dog don't get me wrong but it makes her look really silly sitting there berating people, with this teeny cute little dog on her lap. ok - well considering they consider her a judge - I guess she won't be staying in the dressing room anytime soon! :rolleyes:
I've seen her on a show on the Style network or something, she treats people the same way!
Altho I'm intrigued by her books - I may have to see if the library has them!
I just got a txt from one of my friends watching it online saying - Ooooh that Wendy makes me so mad - I'd like to see her out there doing some of this stuff! I totally agree!
next week looks interesting when Beth Joy - gets into it with Laura - I betcha BJ is the next one home!

momoffuzzyfaces
08-13-2008, 03:37 PM
I hope tonight will be a fun show. The pups get to paint!!! :D

shais_mom
08-13-2008, 09:35 PM
I have to say that I was totally in agreement with the 3 on the bottom. Laura used a vindicitive tactic to make herself look better.
But duuuuuuuude I can't wait until next week when Victoria and Wendy get into it!!! Wendy says to Victoria - "get over yourself". HA - she's the one that needs to get over HERself!

sparks19
08-13-2008, 11:19 PM
^^^ totally... Wendy needs to get over herself :rolleyes:

I agree witht he bottom three too. I do NOT agree with calling out another contestant to make yourself look better.

that said... I'm not sure I agree with the way Beth Joy did things. Perhaps I saw it incorrectly but did she put TAPE on the paws to keep the sponges in place? the judges seem so interested in whether or not the dog has fun but Bella was NOT having fun... I understand she has issues with her front paws but perhaps it would have been a better idea to leave that part OUT of her painting rather than tape things onto her paws and dip them into paint. I can't imagine that HELPED with her issue with the front paws.

JD... again annoyed the heck out of me lol. he REALLY seemed p!ssed when they questioned his painting and he LIED. We all saw perfectly clear that his intention was NOT to have his words all jumbled up yet he kept insisting that this is what he wanted and would not just ADMIT that he had a difficult time. It seemed at the end that Galaxy was picking up on his disappointment and was trying to lick him (looked submissive to me) and he wasn't accepting of it. he really makes me uncomfortable when things don't go his way.

shais_mom
08-13-2008, 11:43 PM
^^^ totally... Wendy needs to get over herself :rolleyes:

I agree witht he bottom three too. I do NOT agree with calling out another contestant to make yourself look better.

that said... I'm not sure I agree with the way Beth Joy did things. Perhaps I saw it incorrectly but did she put TAPE on the paws to keep the sponges in place? the judges seem so interested in whether or not the dog has fun but Bella was NOT having fun... I understand she has issues with her front paws but perhaps it would have been a better idea to leave that part OUT of her painting rather than tape things onto her paws and dip them into paint. I can't imagine that HELPED with her issue with the front paws.

JD... again annoyed the heck out of me lol. he REALLY seemed p!ssed when they questioned his painting and he LIED. We all saw perfectly clear that his intention was NOT to have his words all jumbled up yet he kept insisting that this is what he wanted and would not just ADMIT that he had a difficult time. It seemed at the end that Galaxy was picking up on his disappointment and was trying to lick him (looked submissive to me) and he wasn't accepting of it. he really makes me uncomfortable when things don't go his way.

I dunno - I'm not for sure if she used tape or not. I really didn't look closely but I can't imagine why you would do that. I was glad that Travis stuck up for her, I was surprised when he seemed rather taken with Laura. Interesting that 2 of the 3 were people that hadn't ever been in the bottom 3 before.
JD gives me the willies. I can totally see him being pretty ticked off if he doesn't win and being really harsh with Galaxy..
He reminds me of a person back when I was a kid and we were at a horse show (why I can't remember b/c none of us had horses or participated :confused: ) my dad saw this guy clock a horse with a baseball bat after it came out of the ring b/c he was Pi$$ed it didn't do well. :mad::mad::mad::mad:
My great uncle (God rest his soul) had a Springer Spaniel several years ago, he's been gone for over 10 years, that was just a doll baby, but he treated her so harshly it was awful to watch. She would come up to others wanting loving and he would be angry b/c he wanted her to seek HIM out and only him for it. I saw him hit her once it took her off her feet. :mad: I was just a kid, and wasn't as into dogs near as much now, but even that made me so upset. No one said anything to him b/c it would anger him even more, and make him treat her even more harshly. We were at HIS cottage and getting ready to head back to Ohio, and usually wanted to prolong vacation as long as possible, but I remember even going to my parents after watching him, and asking them if we could go home. And even my mom who is not an animal person at all couldn't stand to watch him anymore and said YES Let's GO! My aunt gave her to a family after he died, and I could only hope that she was treated more lovingly there. She lived a good long life, well over 12 years, if I remember correctly.

shais_mom
08-14-2008, 08:48 AM
of course we don't know the actual timespan of the competitions etc but I think the judges should see videos unbeknownst to the contestants so they can see how it much or how little effort they are putting into the challenge. In last nites case they would have had JD cold in a lie.

4 Dog Mother
08-14-2008, 11:13 AM
I was shocked when Laura and Preston got sent home. To be honest I thought it would be Laurie and Andrew. And I think it might have been if Laura had not used the tactic of "ratting" on Beth Joy. And I was really shocked to see Travis stand up for Beth Joy. I thought it looked to me like she was using some kind of velcro thing to put the sponge on her dog. I could be wrong. Having a dog that does not like her paws messed with (Pippi) but is worst with her back paws, I don't think Beth Joy did anything wrong. It's not like the dog cried and cried and acted like she was hurt. She was scared a little and I have heard Pippi cry out when someone goes for her back paws - but sometimes you got to do what you got to do - like Pippi would never have her toenails trimmed if she had her way - and that would certainly be far worse than what Bella was having done to her.

I also think that the judges get to see more than we did - they made a comment that Laura - and JD put little time and effort into their pictures and they couldn't really have gotten that from just seeing the picture itself. I would so like to see JD get sent home. He is always so shocked when he loses - like even in the dog bone challenge last night, you could tell he was shocked that Galaxy did not go right for the treats. I do not really trust him - I think he would take out his frustration on Galaxy if he could - I don't think he would make a good representation of the Greatest American Dog - I feel very sorry for Galaxy.

I don't think much of Beth Joy - like arguing with that judge about the clothes her dog was wearing for the grooming challenge. But I really felt Laura was really off base last night.

Ginger's Mom
08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
I also think that the judges get to see more than we did - they made a comment that Laura - and JD put little time and effort into their pictures and they couldn't really have gotten that from just seeing the picture itself.

I definitely think that the judges know a lot more about what is going on in the competitions. They are not making their judgements based solely on what it being presented to them at the end of the challenge. I think last night proved that more than ever. I didn't see how the posters were made (neighbor came over for a few minutes) but I did not think that Leroy's poster was that good. So they had to have known in advance that she had assistance. Also, I really liked JD's poster, I liked that the letters were mixed up. But like I said, I didn't see how the posters were made.

sparks19
08-14-2008, 12:26 PM
OH I just thought it was tape because it looked like it came off a roll but my eyes could be playing tricks on me... wouldn't be the first time lol.

I don't know WHAT the heck I would have done for the dog painting competition lol.

Yeah that really ticked me off when before the dog bone challenge JD said "Everyone here just wishes they had a dog like mine" PFFT. But I always notice he clenches his jaw when things don't go his way. Yeah he just makes me incredibly uncomfortable.

I was so happy when bill won that challenge and I just knew he was going to give it to Theresa. I really hope they keep in touch after the competition. they have a very special bond... almost father/daughter like. but I just love Bill period. He's just such a good man. It cracked me up how Star homed right in on the FOOD lol. He mentioned that she was getting older and can't move as fast as she used to ... but MAN did she get her little butt in gear for that food LOL.

Ginger's Mom. It wasn't so much that the words were jumbled up... but that he lied about his intentions. it was clear from the way they made the pictures (I know you missed that part) that he didn't intend for that to happen.

Ginger's Mom
08-14-2008, 01:38 PM
I understand that now. But I was just using that as an example of my belief that the judges know more than we do about what goes on behind the scenes. Because they made such a big deal out of that with JD, and also saying that Leroy's looked more professional than others. They had to have known the stories that go on along with the projects.

sparks19
08-14-2008, 02:34 PM
I understand that now. But I was just using that as an example of my belief that the judges know more than we do about what goes on behind the scenes. Because they made such a big deal out of that with JD, and also saying that Leroy's looked more professional than others. They had to have known the stories that go on along with the projects.

Oh yeah I'm sure they watch the footage and stuff also. although this is the first challenge where it doesn't happen right before their eyes.

shais_mom
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
all I can say is wow.
Bella was getting totally stressed out snapping at everyone in the way of her and her momma.
BJ behaved exactly like I thought she would - like a spoiled brat.
Bill really pushed Star and that was shocking, she wanted nothing doing with those puppies.
I thought they should have had a bottom 4 this week also b/c Lori and Andrew deserved to be in the bottom 4 after snapping at the puppies. I agree it was just a way for Andrew to tell him not to do it, but it was unacceptable.
BJ comments that Star is trying to eat the puppies but yet HER dog was trying to eat PEOPLE!! I was surprised when BJ said 'wanna see daddy' I just assumed she was single. lol - I'd love to hand her some frizz ease. ;)

I was glad that the judges got into in front of the contestants maybe showed JD his methods aren't always right. Idiot.
next with ought to be interesting! :D

sparks19
08-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah I thought that challenge was ridiculous.

I mean they chastised owners because their dogs came when called instead of gathering up the puppies... well isn't that what most owners train for? for their dog to come regardless of distractions. Also not all dogs like puppies so it seemed like a potentially dangerous situation for the puppies to be put in. they were awfully cute though.

I really felt bad for Bill and Star. they were stuck between a rock and a hard place IMO. If he didn't push her and just stopped I think the judges would have been disappointed that they didn't finish the challenge. but if he pushed her they wouldn't be happy with that either. they have been pretty inconsistent in what exactly they are looking for. I'm glad he didnt' get sent home because of it. and he took his criticism like a gentleman.

I am so glad BJ is gone. I'm sick of her whining and crying and DRAMA.

Did anyone else tear up when bill talked to his wife on the phone? and told her that he would love her and cherish her for the rest of his life... and then called her old woman haha. that was so sweet and I cried lol.

JD... well I am not surprised at all that he uses the methods that he does and even seemed to look down on people who use "positive reinforcement"

I loved how Leroy almost got to the end of the maze and then on his own accord went back and got the puppies lol. that was cute.

Ginger's Mom
08-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah I thought that challenge was ridiculous.
I thought that the challenge was definitely stacked against the smaller dogs. Did dog "experts" really think that the small dogs would react well to puppies (with puppy energy levels and lack of body control) that were larger than them bouncing on them? I don't think any small dog would do well when suddenly put in a pen with three bouncing dogs that were larger than them. Of course Andrew and Belle Starr would be alarmed at three uncontrolled dogs larger than them bouncing at them. :mad: They were sure to not respond well to the dogs. Apparently the producers of the show have decided that it is time for all of the small dogs to go.

I really felt bad for Bill and Star. they were stuck between a rock and a hard place IMO. If he didn't push her and just stopped I think the judges would have been disappointed that they didn't finish the challenge.

I agree with this too. And I think that is what Bill was thinking when he did it. That the judges would chastise him for not encouraging Star to continue the challenge.

That "altercation" between the two lady judges was some of the worst acting I have ever seen. I have no idea what the producers were hoping to accomplish by staging such a scene.

Karen
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Frankly, I was glad to see Beth Joy and Bella Starlet go home, they were both getting too stressed out.

But I have decided that the producers, for some reason, have decided they like Laurie, and never put her in danger of leaving. Andrew didn't even get through the maze, or try to. At least Bella Starlet tried, but got confused ... Andrew just didn't "get it."

I was annoyed with them for Bill and Star, as sparks pointed out - he was between a rock and a hard place. But he never resorted to yelling or being mean, or even scolding Star, and no harm was done.

We knew, as soon as we figured out what the challenge was that Leroy would win - he's a Border Collie, for goodness sake! It's in his genes! But it was good to see them win one for his own sake.

I thought the battle between the judges was not as faked as the "apology" sequence. And was completely bemused by the male judge just standing serenely through it all.

I knew Presley, who IS still a puppy himself, would likely fail at the task - ain't no way those poor pups could keep up with his bounding, joyful self!

shais_mom
08-21-2008, 03:52 PM
I agree I thought Bill took his criticism with dignity.
I want JD to be next.
I had a feeling Leroy would do well, its in his blood to herd! :)
I did cry when both Travis and Bill talked to family.

bad acting - yea- lol - they are animal trainers NOT actresses - you can tell that.
I was glad that Wendy finally left Lucky during the outside performance.

anna_66
08-22-2008, 08:00 AM
I want JD to be next.

Oh gosh, not me. I want it to be Andrew. I love him, but can't stand his mom. She just bugs me.
I may not like JD, but LOVE Galaxy. Such an awesome dog.

Cincy'sMom
08-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I'd like to see it come down to Presley and Stat. I like Andrew and Galaxy (and of course Galaxy is my colors!), but I just don't care for their owners.

And I agree Karen, the apology portion was the worst acting fo the whole fight. Pathetic!!!

k9krazee
08-22-2008, 10:54 AM
Welp, I finally got caught up with all the episodes last night.

Frankly, I don't think any of them are the "greatest american dog." :o I've seen much better trainers and dog/dog people out there, oh well.

I don't like the judges either. They're magazine editors, aren't they? Get some real dog people in there that actually know what they're talking about.

They drive me up a wall. Especially when the lady went on and on about the bands used on Leroy being inhumane. I agree, it wasn't the best decision but I think it was far from inhumane, it didn't hurt and I personally have used tape and things in order to get a behavior out of a dog. Put tape on Micki's nose (in an attempt to teach 'hide your eyes') and he has a full blown panic attack. It doesn't hurt him, he just doesn't like it. That's what I felt happened with Leroy.

Also I was a little peeved when they started discussing training methods. JD's method OBVIOUSLY works with his dog, and his is one of the better trained ones there. To each their own, I say. Not every training method is going to work for every dog. I do really like Laurie, she knows what she's talking about for the most part. BJ really got on my nerves and she should have left before Preston. I think Leroy could be awesome if the lady knew what she was doing.

That last event, rescuing the puppies was ridiculous. Like chastising Andrew for nipping a puppy, when he was obviously just telling the puppies, hey I don't like that. It's how puppies learn what's acceptable and what's not. I saw nothing wrong with nipping and putting a puppy in it's place, and considering Andrew's size I was impressed with the way he handled it. I felt bad for Bill and Star. Star wasn't comfortable from the beginning, then they got upset that Bill pushed her. If he wouldn't have pushed her they would have said something about that. "Presely focused very much on you and wasn't particularly engaged with the puppies. He had no patience to bring them through the maze" WELL DUH. Presely did awesome, running through the maze to get to his daddy. Most dogs would do the same thing, and not care about the puppies. In fact, not ONE of the dogs tried to get the puppies to the other side, it was all in if the puppies wanted to follow the other dog and the dog was going slow enough for them to keep up. I thought the whole theme, "rescue", was lame.

I hope Bill and Star win. And I still really like Travis. I'm sure in a few years Presely will be awesome.

An Elephant? Are you SERIOUS? Jack would definitely freak.

shais_mom
08-22-2008, 11:01 AM
Oh gosh, not me. I want it to be Andrew. I love him, but can't stand his mom. She just bugs me.
I may not like JD, but LOVE Galaxy. Such an awesome dog.

I like galaxy but not her owner.
If the DOG could win that would be one thing. But she comes attached to him. BLAH
I think Wendy gushed over Galaxy's performance b/c she has a crush on JD.:p
But then again I've seen her reality show on the Style network and I think she's a borderline Man-Hater.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-28-2008, 12:04 PM
I thought the show last night was good. I like little Andrew. what a brave boy to face down a charging elephant. I wouldn't have!!!

I'm sad that Star and Bill had to go though. I hope that Galaxy's injury isn't serious. I think he did it when he was in the harness jumping off the tower. :(

Karen
08-28-2008, 12:10 PM
We wanted Bill and Star to win, and were sad that they went home. We agree that it was probably an injury caused by the harness that has Galaxy limping, poor girl. For the first time, JD seems human, with his girl injured. I hope she'll be okay, and I hope the show pays for the veterinary care she'll require.

We thought Leroy did a great job, he didn't immediately jump, but when his momma made it clear, off he went. And he was SOOOO ready at each step of the course, with that Border Collie focus and energy ready to Goooooo!

sparks19
08-28-2008, 12:47 PM
OH man. I was so SAD that Bill and Star left :( I think Star was ready to go though and I'm sure Bill is more than happy to get home to his family.

Poor Galaxy. I don't know exactly how she hurt herself but if I had to guess I would say it was that incline she had to run up... she looked like she may have faltered a bit at the very end of it. The previews show that next week she is still hurt. I hope JD is wise enough to leave with her if she isn't better.

And is it just me or are the judges being TOTALLY unfair to Travis and Presley? Presley did the whole obstacle with no problem. He did EXACTLY what Travis asked him to do. but they got on his case about Presley being "out of control" Ummm... where was he out of control? because he got excited when Travis gave him praise? GMAB If he was out of control he wouldn't have been in a tie breaker with andrew when they did the elephant challenge.

I cannot believe that the smallest dog and the youngest dog were the last two standing in the elephant challenge lol. I can't blame the other dogs for taking off lol. Suzie (the elephant) was HUGE. But presley and Andrew stayed there even when she reached in to grab the banana. My dogs would have grabbed the banana and ran HAHAHAHA

And is it just me or were Wendy Diamonds eyes really freaky last night? She had that "Michael jacksons Thriller" look to her eyes last night... they seemed almost yellow... and creepy

shais_mom
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
OH man. I was so SAD that Bill and Star left :( I think Star was ready to go though and I'm sure Bill is more than happy to get home to his family.

Poor Galaxy. I don't know exactly how she hurt herself but if I had to guess I would say it was that incline she had to run up... she looked like she may have faltered a bit at the very end of it. The previews show that next week she is still hurt. I hope JD is wise enough to leave with her if she isn't better.

And is it just me or are the judges being TOTALLY unfair to Travis and Presley? Presley did the whole obstacle with no problem. He did EXACTLY what Travis asked him to do. but they got on his case about Presley being "out of control" Ummm... where was he out of control? because he got excited when Travis gave him praise? GMAB If he was out of control he wouldn't have been in a tie breaker with andrew when they did the elephant challenge.

I cannot believe that the smallest dog and the youngest dog were the last two standing in the elephant challenge lol. I can't blame the other dogs for taking off lol. Suzie (the elephant) was HUGE. But presley and Andrew stayed there even when she reached in to grab the banana. My dogs would have grabbed the banana and ran HAHAHAHA

And is it just me or were Wendy Diamonds eyes really freaky last night? She had that "Michael jacksons Thriller" look to her eyes last night... they seemed almost yellow... and creepy

I think she IS creepy!
I saw I had an email notification to this thread and waited to open it until I watched the end of the show and I'm glad I did or I would have had the surprise spoiled. Altho Its a good thing Keegan can't talk b/c I wouldn't want her repeating what I was yelling at the TV when Bill and Star went home.
I wanted to smack Wendy Diamond when she turned her mouth down and frowned at Leroy's performance. I'd like to see her little stuffed animal do any of the stuff those dogs have to do. **growl** :mad:
yes they are being completely unfair to Travis and Presley. They did way better than a lot of dogs.
I was DULY impressed with JD last night. He was more POSITIVE then I've ever seen him with Galaxy. He was very positive with her when she got out of the circle with Susie. He made me cry with his positiveness and his compassion towards Galaxy last night. I would have never thought he had it in him. I do hope SHE is alright tho. Poor baby.
I dunno - Its pretty intense now. I can't decide figure out who I want to win.
I think Bill made a wise decision to take the blue ramp - Star is older as well, and look what happened to Galaxy.

momoffuzzyfaces
08-28-2008, 02:25 PM
I wanted to smack Wendy Diamond when she turned her mouth down and frowned at Leroy's performance. I'd like to see her little stuffed animal do any of the stuff those dogs have to do. **growl** :mad:

Does her dog even move? I can't remember ever seeing it even yawn! ;)

I wanted Bill and Star to win too. I'm sort of glad she didn't jump though, I was afraid she would get hurt doing that. You could tell she didn't like the entire stunt. :(

sparks19
08-28-2008, 03:08 PM
I knew he was going home because he had the "weakest" performance. I'm glad he didn't keep prodding her to jump and understood that she just didn't want to and wasn't comfortable. and I'm glad he chose the blue ramp too. That red one would have been so hard on her poor little body.

JD ticked me off with his usual "my dog is better" comments. Like when he said "she's been around a 2000 lb bull before unlike the rest of them" yeah ... well a 2000lb bull is a FAR cry from a 9000lb elephant lol. But his reaction when she left the circle was very sweet and when she was hurt he was so attentive to her and it really warmed my heart to see him act like a human with emotions and really show his love for Galaxy without all the chest thumping.

Ginger's Mom
08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Aaarrrgh!!! I forgot, I completely forgot. :( And I wasn't doing anything that interesting either. Sounds like I missed an interesting episode.

4 Dog Mother
08-28-2008, 05:58 PM
Ginger's mom, you can watch the episodes right on your computer if you miss any. I didn't get to see the first half last week and that is what I did. I missed a little last night and am going back to watch it later.

I was a little irritated that the judges told Bill last week that he pushed Star too hard and this week when he tried to figure out what was best for her, they told him he should have had her go up the red ramp. Like one time he should know what his dog can do and not do but then he's told he didn't know his dog well enough and she could have gone up the red ramp. And they are definitely against Travis and Presley. Presley is doing amazing for a young dog, amazing! And yet they jumped on him because he didn't stay back until Travis called him at the beginning and then Travis "endangered" him by letting him jump up when they got to the top. I also felt that this week's challenge was again a little slanted against some of the dogs. I was surprised when Andrew went up the ramp and then when he went across that walk. To even think that a small dog like him would actually jump from that height was ridiculous. And as I saw the way Galaxy was floundering around, I wondered how safe that was for any dog - that they might injure their back. Actually I think Presley was the only one who seemed to just go and not try to fight it.

I don't know who thought up these "challenges" but I am not really sure they have anything to do with being the "Greatest American Dog". Personally in my mind, Bill and Star and Travis and Presley should be the winners. To have a trainer like JD be a part of this I think is unfair. I want to see normal people and how they train and act with their dogs not some trainer who does it as a profession. The elephant thing was ridiculous too - but since it was just about getting the "Dog Bone Suite" I guess it was okay.

Travis said during part of the program that Presley was not able to do a lot of what he did before coming to the Camp. I think that says a lot for both Travis and Presley that they took to heart and watched and learned from the others. Snoopy would probably be the closest in relationship to any of those dogs with me. He would have jumped off just so he could be with me and because he trusted me not to do anything to hurt him. (I can't see him staying and letting an elephant charge at him though). Again, I think Travis and Presley and Bill and Starr are the ones I consider to be what I would want from the Greatest American Dog.

Cincy'sMom
08-28-2008, 06:51 PM
I was a little irritated that the judges told Bill last week that he pushed Star too hard and this week when he tried to figure out what was best for her, they told him he should have had her go up the red ramp. Like one time he should know what his dog can do and not do but then he's told he didn't know his dog well enough and she could have gone up the red ramp.

I thought the same thing. It is like no matter what he choose, it was going to be wrong.

I also had a different take on Travis getting Presley excited before jumping. He was using a toy, to keep it light and keep Presely relaxed. Okay, so maybe it was getting abit rowdy considering the height, but I think Presely would have tensed up if Travis did and keeping it light helped them both. I didn't think it was that different from the way JD tried to keep it light and fun with Galaxy (except that being 9 years old, she was more restrained).

sparks19
09-03-2008, 11:09 PM
Anyone watch tonight?

I think they m ade the right choice sending teresa and Leroy home. Yes Presley left the circle all together but I think Leroy was more out of control as a whole.

I also like how Travis decided to forfeit the dog bone challenge because it was obvious that Presley was uncomfortable and not having a good time. Good for him.

I am so glad Galaxy is OK

Also... I know Laurie hasn't always come across in a good lighting but WOW... does she understand her dog and vice versa. What a performance in the best in show. Andrew did not faulter at ALL.

Karen
09-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I am so annoyed at the judging in this show. Both the judging and the challenges lately have been completely unfair.

Andrew only wants to be with Laurie. Anyone with an ounce of sense knew he'd excell at paying attention only to her. It would have been more of a challenge for him TO pay attention to commands from someone else. Whereas Leroy - the dog's a Border Collie for goodness sake. It is in his genes and his breeding to pay attention to moving objects. That Victoria called Teresa's body language toward him - and JD's toward Galaxy "threatening" was just plain stupid. There is no way either of those dogs felt threatened, not one bit. They are both herding dogs by breed, and needed extra effort from their owners to not move off their mark.

I truly believe each and every owner there now loves their dogs. But they are all VERY different in ages, breeds, and inclinations. A stuffed animal could have done every bit as good as Andrew in this week's challenge - does that make it more loyal, or a better dog? No.

The judges are taking into consideration only what THEY want to focus on, not the dog's breed, age, temperament or anything. Which is just plain ignorant, and unfair.

It's not often that I say this, but I think I would be a better judge than either of the women there, and they either edited out all of his stuff, or the guy didn't make many comments, so I am not sure about him.

MoonandBean
09-04-2008, 08:54 AM
I agree. I have only watched the show twice now but both times, I thought the judging was ridiculous and very subjective. I thought both LeRoy and Galaxy did amazing jobs of ignoring temptations and obeying their commands. It seems that the judges are more interested in judging the people than the dogs.

Ginger's Mom
09-04-2008, 01:03 PM
I am so annoyed at the judging in this show. Both the judging and the challenges lately have been completely unfair.

Andrew only wants to be with Laurie. Anyone with an ounce of sense knew he'd excell at paying attention only to her. It would have been more of a challenge for him TO pay attention to commands from someone else. Whereas Leroy - the dog's a Border Collie for goodness sake. It is in his genes and his breeding to pay attention to moving objects. That Victoria called Teresa's body language toward him - and JD's toward Galaxy "threatening" was just plain stupid. There is no way either of those dogs felt threatened, not one bit. They are both herding dogs by breed, and needed extra effort from their owners to not move off their mark.

I actually have to disagree with this. If you had said this several weeks ago, Karen, I would have agreed with you, but now you have to look at the competition as a whole. In order to get this far, the dog would have already had to go through other tests that were not so much in the nature of their breed of dog. For example, I thought that many of the earlier tests were geared toward the bigger dogs and quite challenging for the smaller dogs. The fact that the smaller dogs got through them (Preston and Andrew) was quite and accomplishment. If the tests are now geared toward dogs more of his temperment than the others, so be it. They have to overcome their natural instincts to win, just the way he did in some of the earlier contests. It all works out in the end for those who last that long.

I do agree that the judging is subjective, but all judging is subjective. Not much different from the conformation ring really, where they have more easily identifiable criteria to consider.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
I think Andrew is just too stinkin cute!!! He loves his mommy. Can't blame him for that! :D

Galaxy just doesn't look like she is enjoying anything. :(

4 Dog Mother
09-04-2008, 01:39 PM
Having had a velcro dog - although I think anyone could have lured Snoopy away from me if they offered food - I don't think Laurie is that great of a trainer. She has taught Andrew to completely rely on her - is that loyalty or obsessiveness. I would say Presley showed more loyalty than any of the dogs because even though he broke the rule, he came back to Travis when Travis told him too. Did you notice that LeRoy wanted nothing to do with Teresa after the challenge? He totally ignored her as he did with the dog bone challenge when she left him there forever on the stump. I saw Galaxy and Leroy as "obedient" dogs, Andrew as a obsessed dog ( maybe I am wroing and need to go back and look at some of the tapes but I don't think I have ever seen Andrew playing with any other dog or any other person than Laurie - is that what kind dog you would want to represent the Greatest American Dog?) and Travis as the only truly "loyal" dog which is what the challenge is all about. (I think Andrew sitting there with an elephant charging him proves that point - what small dog is going to let an animal that size come at him and sit and not even make a sound or look at his mother like do you see what the heck is happening here?) What Travis has been able to do with Presley as young as he is says alot. If the judges don't think he has the attention span to do these challenges than he never should have been given a chance - there should be an age clause. I don't know very many dogs as young as Presley is who would have come through as well as Presley has.

And I do have to say that the challenges have been ridiculous to show the greatest American dog. I still think Bill and Star should be in it as I see Star as being one of the most loyal, loving dog there is on the show. Star and Bill were a team. I have to agree with Karen - you cannot train all dogs by only a gentle reminder and I also know that some people seem more harsh with their dogs but that is in someone else's perception. I didn't really think that LeRoy looked like he was scared of what she would do if he disobeyed. Nor did I think that Galaxay looked scared but I also think that at 9 years old Galaxy already nows what will happen if he does or doesn't obey. I thought J.D came off looking gentler than in other challenges.

Karen
09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
If you had said this several weeks ago, Karen, I would have agreed with you, but now you have to look at the competition as a whole. In order to get this far, the dog would have already had to go through other tests that were not so much in the nature of their breed of dog.

I have been thinking this all along, it is just that last night was really the most blatant example. I think the "get the puppies through the maze" was geared toward the herding types, for example. Presley did fine - zipped through the maze, but it probably never occurred to him to bring the puppies with him. And how was a dog like Andrew supposed to be able to "herd" things bigger than him? Duh - the two border collies did the best with that one. Surprise? No.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-04-2008, 01:47 PM
I still think it was funny that Andrew showed JD he couldn't train 'any' dog like he claimed he could. :D

shais_mom
09-04-2008, 01:51 PM
I actually have to disagree with this. If you had said this several weeks ago, Karen, I would have agreed with you, but now you have to look at the competition as a whole. In order to get this far, the dog would have already had to go through other tests that were not so much in the nature of their breed of dog. For example, I thought that many of the earlier tests were geared toward the bigger dogs and quite challenging for the smaller dogs. The fact that the smaller dogs got through them (Preston and Andrew) was quite and accomplishment. If the tests are now geared toward dogs more of his temperment than the others, so be it. They have to overcome their natural instincts to win, just the way he did in some of the earlier contests. It all works out in the end for those who last that long.

I do agree that the judging is subjective, but all judging is subjective. Not much different from the conformation ring really, where they have more easily identifiable criteria to consider.

I agree - I disagree with Karen. I feel that JD WAS threatening towards Galaxy BUT in a situation at a park - where that dog MAY be in danger if the dog takes off - YOU want that dog in that position.
That said - My dog SUCKS at a sit stay. She will not do it. If you ask her to stick to my leg like glue she's right there. She would have never sat in the circle for me to walk away from her to begin with!
more to say - but late for work!

Ginger's Mom
09-04-2008, 02:17 PM
I have been thinking this all along, it is just that last night was really the most blatant example. I think the "get the puppies through the maze" was geared toward the herding types, for example. Presley did fine - zipped through the maze, but it probably never occurred to him to bring the puppies with him. And how was a dog like Andrew supposed to be able to "herd" things bigger than him? Duh - the two border collies did the best with that one. Surprise? No.

I think this means we agree(?) Each test is geared toward a certain trait that some of the dogs may excel at and some do not. Therefore, each test is fundamentally "unfair" to a certain dog or dog in the competition. But if you get through the ones that you are not only expected to excel at but also the others, you have accomplished more than any other dog there. Whether that is, in fact, what qualifies as America's Greatest Dog is another debate for another time. :D

Karen
09-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah, another example of unfair - last night they did give Andrew a slightly smaller stump than the others, but none of the other dogs had a stump big enough to lie down on even if they wanted to!

One would think supposed "dog experts" would be smarter in setting up the challenges.

sparks19
09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
Andrew used to play with Elvis all the time before he left the show.

I think if his attachment to Laurie was obsessive he would become panicked when left without her. Sur ehe looked for her but he wasn't frantic or panicing. I'm willing to bet that when they are at home and she goes out that he doesn't search the house for her. He's in a new place and may not be totally comfortable there without her. I can understand that. He also didn't seem too concerned with finding Laurie when Teresa was snuggling him. I think Travis and JD just bored him LOL.

As for Loyalty... I think that is Presley all over. I think he is definitely the most LOYAL. He runs and plays and acts like a puppy but when his daddy calls him he can't wait to get to him. I loved Travis' line last night "this challenge is about loyalty. He sat on that stump for 20 minutes showing his loyalty to me... what about my loyalty to him" Loved that.

shais_mom
09-04-2008, 03:51 PM
Andrew used to play with Elvis all the time before he left the show.

I think if his attachment to Laurie was obsessive he would become panicked when left without her. Sur ehe looked for her but he wasn't frantic or panicing. I'm willing to bet that when they are at home and she goes out that he doesn't search the house for her. He's in a new place and may not be totally comfortable there without her. I can understand that. He also didn't seem too concerned with finding Laurie when Teresa was snuggling him. I think Travis and JD just bored him LOL.

As for Loyalty... I think that is Presley all over. I think he is definitely the most LOYAL. He runs and plays and acts like a puppy but when his daddy calls him he can't wait to get to him. I loved Travis' line last night "this challenge is about loyalty. He sat on that stump for 20 minutes showing his loyalty to me... what about my loyalty to him" Loved that.

I agree - and I LOVED LOVED LOVED the how Presley leaned against Travis during the final moments of judging and Travis held him tenderly. It brought tears to my eyes.
I think JD's parting shot to Victoria really hit a nerve with her - you could see it on her face. She was peeved. Not sure it was warranted or not - his parting shot to her was very similiar to someone having to have the last word and proving themselves right. In some of the challenges I've seen JD handle himself better with Galaxy than others. There were times I wasn't even sure he cared for her but he was very attentive and sweet to her when she was hurt. Ask any of us whose dogs scream for us at the dog park or pine for us when we are on the outside of the fence about loyalty. Loyalty my dog has - obedience she does not. Which point in case - the reason we aren't on the show! :)

momoffuzzyfaces
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
Just a reminder: Tonight is the finale!!!
Everyone root for your favorites!!!! :D

sparks19
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
What? tonight?

I checked my guide just to make sure and it didn't list it. Tomorrow is wednesday. I hope I didn't miss it :(

Karen
09-09-2008, 10:35 PM
It's scheduled for Wednesday according to my TV, I think she just a day ahead of herself!

momoffuzzyfaces
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
It's scheduled for Wednesday according to my TV, I think she just a day ahead of herself!

Sorry everyone. I had a senior moment and got a day ahead like Karen said.
At least no one missed it! :D

zippy-kat
09-10-2008, 08:56 PM
We're VERY pleased with the results on this end! :love::love::love:

Karen
09-10-2008, 10:43 PM
I knew there'd be a bouncy Boxer cheering Presley on at your place! :)

I hated the judging on this show and throughout, but am glad Presley won.

I was still rooting for Bill and Star, that they'd stage a come-from-behind surprise victory! ;)

I am sure Andrew is the perfect dog for Laurie and her husband, just didn't think he'd be a good spokesdog for the role.

4 Dog Mother
09-11-2008, 08:44 AM
I was very glad that Travis and Presley won too. What was said about him and Presley is true - they are a young "newlywed" couple but look at all the growing THEY both did during their time at the Dog House. Travis watched the others and learned from them. He listened to the judges when they told JD what they didn't like about the way he trained. He listened and watched Bill with Star and took what Bill said seriously. He watched some of the girls with their dogs and DIDN"T do what they did. While Andrew did an amazing job, I think Presley was what The Greatest American Dog was about. Both JD and Laurie are dog trainers. And while their dogs are pets also, they do training as a job and I don't think any dog that is a trainers should belong to a trainer. The greatest American dog should be just what Presley is a great pet who is willing to learn, and works hard at learning. I think Travis was the best owner because while he wanted Presley to learn he also wanted to make it fun - I think it is absolutely amazing that a 16 month old boxer did such an awesome job and he did it mostly because the loved and trusted Travis enough to do so.

I hated that Bill and Star didn't make it to the final two. I think the judges did very poorly - one week they told Bill he pushed Star too far and the next week he told him he didn't challenge him enough. Who could win under that kind of judging? Of all who were entered, I would not have been happy if it had not been either Bill and Star or Travis and Presley. Now I just hope Travis stays away from Laura and Preston. At first I liked Laura but then she started acting very contriving - I could see her trying to get to Travis to share in that $250,000 prize!

Oh, and I hope that if it goes for a second season, they find some different Judges, the guy wasn't too bad but I didn't like either of the women.

momoffuzzyfaces
09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
I was not surprised that Presley won. After all they had been showing him as the Greatest American Dog every time they opened the show. When they showed the dog leaping then turning into the outline of the dog on the logo, it was always Presley they showed. :D

I would not have minded which of the finale two won. Andrew has lots of courage to go right under that elephant the way he did. Andrew is more my kind of dog. I like my dogs like I like my men: loyal, loving and not easily distracted by other things. ;)

But Presley is more of the type for families and people on the go. Plus, who wouldn't love that face? :D

Ginger's Mom
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
I was not surprised that Presley won. After all they had been showing him as the Greatest American Dog every time they opened the show. When they showed the dog leaping then turning into the outline of the dog on the logo, it was always Presley they showed. :D
Exactly what I told my family last week. The whole show was pretty scripted and contrived from the beginning. But my hope is that it will have generated enough interest that they may actually have a real version of the show, with real dogs, contests, and judges.

In any case, I am glad to see that it played out so that Travis and Presley won. They would be the type of dog/owner I would want representing the way America views their dogs. :)

I like my dogs like I like my men: loyal, loving and not easily distracted by other things. ;)

This made me LOL. :D

shais_mom
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I was very pleased as well with Travis winning. Here is just some guy off the street that won. He could be any one of us.
Laurie and JD have more experience with dog training.
I must say as much as I loved Galaxy was as much as I didn't care for JD.
What an arrogant butthead!!! I was so glad he was NOT in the top 2. I wish that Galaxy COULD have been in the top 2 without him. And of course he had to get his parting shot in as he left like it mattered.
You could tell the look on his face in the reunion that he didn't want to be there. He could have given a twit less about it b/c he wasn't in the top 3.
I thought all the tears expressed for Travis and Presley were so sweet. Brandy obviously still has a crush on him, and I swear that I saw $$$$ flashing Laura's eyes at the end shot.

Karen
09-11-2008, 08:44 PM
I just have to add that, every single time Travis and Presley were standing there, and the camera panned over to Presley just resting that smooshy face on Travis' hand, or arm, I went "Awwww! How could they NOT give him a prize!"

zippy-kat
09-11-2008, 10:20 PM
As I told Stace, "I think Travis and I could have beautiful boxers together." :D

('Course only 2 of the 3 would be obedient. Poor Maggie Moo, obedience just isn't her thing!)

momoffuzzyfaces
09-12-2008, 12:02 PM
I was very pleased as well with Travis winning. Here is just some guy off the street that won. He could be any one of us.
Laurie and JD have more experience with dog training.
I must say as much as I loved Galaxy was as much as I didn't care for JD.
What an arrogant butthead!!! I was so glad he was NOT in the top 2. I wish that Galaxy COULD have been in the top 2 without him. And of course he had to get his parting shot in as he left like it mattered.
You could tell the look on his face in the reunion that he didn't want to be there. He could have given a twit less about it b/c he wasn't in the top 3.
I thought all the tears expressed for Travis and Presley were so sweet. Brandy obviously still has a crush on him, and I swear that I saw $$$$ flashing Laura's eyes at the end shot.

Did you notice how JD said he couldn't believe HE didn't win: not Galaxy win but him!!! What a jerk!!!

shais_mom
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Did you notice how JD said he couldn't believe HE didn't win: not Galaxy win but him!!! What a jerk!!!

oh yea I noticed that -
and thought the same thing!