PDA

View Full Version : Do you think we should be able to talk about religon on PT?

Rottieluver45
09-02-2002, 04:46 PM
I know this probably won`t make a diffrence but Do you think so? I just wanna see!

(please don`t get mad!)

anna_66
09-02-2002, 05:19 PM
I voted no. Not because I care if people talk about religion, but in my experience it seems to always cause arguments or fighting. I wouldn't care if anyone else did, but I personally wouldn't.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I felt I needed to come back & edit this post.
I wrote this before I even read the "Sept. 11 picture" post, and I was right. People can't discuss religion. Everyone has their own views...whatever it may be, and I respect everyone's point of view. People should be able to discuss it & have an "open mind", but for some reason it just seems like it can't be done (I've found this true in my own experiences in talking to people about religion).
Now, that being said I love hearing "ALL" of your views, but will not post how I feel about religion. I hope everyone can respect that:D

RockyRoad
09-02-2002, 05:40 PM
I don't care because it doesn't matter to me. For some reason I can't vote, will somebody vote for me? Thanks in advance.:D

Fuzzy317
09-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by FloppsyLadySally89
I don't care because it doesn't matter to me. For some reason I can't vote, will somebody vote for me? Thanks in advance.:D

I voted I don't care for you and for me. Its a personal choice to have religion or not.

Karen
09-02-2002, 05:43 PM
Sally, we cannot vote "for" you, it identifies us each by our log-in. So you perhaps not have your machine set to accept cookies?

Paul
09-02-2002, 05:52 PM
   I think religion is the foundation of everything else. If the conversation goes on long enough you will get to know the religious points of view of the people involved. I think talking about religion is necessary.

I think that trying to prove that your religious system (or lack of a religious system) is true is beyond the realm of Pet Talk.

Paul

momoffuzzyfaces
09-02-2002, 05:52 PM
This is a site for talking about animals. Now, having said that, I am a Christian and if anyone wants prayers they will get them from me. I won't stop that no matter what anyone else says. I don't believe in trying to force any religion on anyone else but I won't let any one try to change mine either. To mention praying for someone or their loved ones is fine but I think it would be wise to stay away from a thread about religion itself because like anna_66 said, it usually causes fighting and hurt feelings. I wouldn't want anyone to leave Pet Talk because they felt unwelcome because of their religion or lack of one. Ok, so there's my 2 cents.:D

AmberLee
09-02-2002, 07:29 PM
"Do you think we should be able to talk about religion on PT?" Uh, yes, this is a great goal. But as we haven't seemed to be able to carry it off civilly since I came on board, I voted 'No'. In the few discussions we've held, people seem to be getting heated, but what worries me is that people seem to be getting hurt, too. I hate to see that and to have our community disrupted.

There are other communities out there that thrive on controversy. I lurk at a few of them, but don't post. I'd not like to see PT evolve this way. (My 2 cents worth.)

AdoreMyDogs
09-02-2002, 09:05 PM
I think that when you throw together a group of people of all ages/races/genders/religions etc. from all around the world, there are bound to be heated and/or arguments when religion is brought up. That's just my opinion.

I vote no.

I am open minded to relgions (at least I try to be) but I am not at all religious myself, and I would rather not read about some of the relgious/christian stuff that goes on. The threads that get too religious just turn me right off. I don't mind so much that people talk about it, but I don't feel this is the place for it.

Now I very much care about the folks who are religious, and do talk about it, so please don't think I am being mean...I really care about the folks here, religious or not.

Aspen and Misty
09-02-2002, 09:39 PM
I don't really care as long as everyone is nice about it!

Former User
09-03-2002, 02:36 AM
I also voted no, it's just causing pain and arguments, as we saw already.

09-03-2002, 02:59 AM
My vote is NO too !!! I fully agree to Momoffuzzyfaces !!
If someone asks prayers , I will give them those ; but as for the rest , this is a pet site , and nothing else !!! Everybody is free to believe in what they choose , it's none of our business !!

so , let's go on blabbering about our furries !!!!

http://digilander.libero.it/meowmeowmeow/fish_on_table.gif

sammi
09-03-2002, 03:31 AM
Oh, I don't really think That works out very well.

wolf_Q
09-03-2002, 04:43 AM
I voted NO.

Actually, the truth is I don't care if people talk about religion. The problem is that it starts out as TALK and turns into ARGUE and trying to prove whose religion is right. There is no possible way any of us can prove what religion is right...you'll find that one out when your dead! lol.

Randi
09-03-2002, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by AdoreMyDogs
I think that when you throw together a group of people of all ages/races/genders/religions etc. from all around the world, there are bound to be heated and/or arguments when religion is brought up.

The threads that get too religious just turn me right off. I don't feel this is the place for it.
I agree - and the same goes for politics! This is a pet board! :)

turner
09-03-2002, 08:37 AM
I voted "Yes" as I beleive everyone should be able to discuss their religion without being judged because of it. BUT, I don't think Pet Talk is the appropriate place to discuss religion as this is for Pet Talk not Religion Talk.

This is just my opinion!:)

C.C.'s Mom
09-03-2002, 09:03 AM
I actually don't care. If someone brings it up, than fine with me. I usually don't continue reading those threads. In my opinion we should respect and accept other people, whatever their religion and or opinion is. We're (husband and I) not religious, and we don't pray. If there are requests for prayers, I simply convert them into thoughts rather than pray.

Unfortunately. many discussions end rather unpleasant when it comes to religion and PetTalk isn't a medium for any of those discussions. I'm sure there are plenty of other boards where you can talk about it.
First thing should be our pets, but of course, what you believe in makes you the person you are and will reflect in your posts.

lovemymaltese
09-04-2002, 02:56 PM
I see no reason why not.

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-13-2002, 09:19 AM
I don't think discussing religion on Pet Talk is a good idea. In the General section, people post topics not related to Pets, however, we can not seem to talk about religion civilly and without being so defensive. This disrupts the peaceful atmosphere we all love @ Pet Talk. Mind you, I do like to learn more about other's opnions and belief, but not here if it is going to cause an uproar like that Sept 11 Picture thread. We can always agree to disagree on certain controversial topics we post about, but religion doesn't seem to be one of those topics.

I voted NO.

catland
09-17-2002, 03:18 PM
You asked the question, "should you be able to", which is not really the same as saying "should you talk about religion". I would say "yes" to the first and "no" to the second.

Since the internet is about free speech, you are able to talk about what ever you choose. But since this is a discussion site that has private owners, they have the right to edit or remove topics that they deem inappropriate.

I think that attempting to discuss religion is about as appropriate as attempting to discuss cars, Star Trek, or a multitude of other topics at this site. It certainly is fun to see what we have in common with each other - but we all know that our one real reason to be here is because we share the same passion for our pets.