PDA

View Full Version : Having to Rehome Mina

mina'smomma
07-09-2008, 01:02 PM
My heart is breaking today. I'm having to face the fact that I'm going to have to rehome my baby girl. Mina is not adjusting to the baby at all. She has attacked her twice today when Cadi was playing with her piano. This isn't the first time Mina has done this and I had just blown it off to the fact that she hadn't gotten use to Cadience. Now I can't deny it anymore I have to let her go to a home without kids. Luckily my brother who lives alone is willing to take her, but it still is heartbreaking.:(I just feel like a bad person because of what I'm having to do.

JenBKR
07-09-2008, 01:17 PM
You are NOT a bad person - you are doing what is necessary for Cadience AND Mina. I know this has to be the hardest decision, but at least you can still visit Mina. Maybe when Cadience is a little older you will be able to take Mina back. It's great that your brother is able to take her...does he live near you? ((((hugs)))) I am here if you need to talk.

jennielynn1970
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Awe... poor Mina and poor you! There are some cats that just do not adjust to little ones. I know that if my foster Furbee were in a home with a baby, it would NOT be a good outcome. She's older, she's cranky and grumpy, and she nips when she decides she doesn't want to be touched.

It's a great thing that your brother can take her in. And like the previous poster said, maybe once the baby is older you could take her back, but if not, she'll still have a great home!

(((HUGS))) you are not a bad parent! You are being responsible and caring. That's commendable. :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-09-2008, 02:30 PM
You are NOT a bad person - you are a responsible and loving pet owner who wants what is best for their animal not yourself. You have nothing to feel guilty about - she is going to a great home

Karen
07-09-2008, 02:35 PM
You are doing the right thing, both for Mina and for Cadi. I know you will feel bad, but try to remember that, okay? We love you, and are sending you hugs through this terrible decision-time for you. You will still always be Mina's Momma - she's just going off to boarding school, that's all!

Laura's Babies
07-09-2008, 02:52 PM
None of us ever know what life will throw at us and we have to rehome one of ours.. I pray ALL the time that will never happen with my babies but we never know!

It sounds to me like you have the perfect solution with your brother and we only want what is best for them! Maybe she can live with your brother and someday come back to you..

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM
Oh NO , you are NOT a bad mommy!!! I know this must be so hard for you, but try to think how relieved Mina will be when you find her a new family!
Take care, and give your little girl a hug from me :)

Randi
07-09-2008, 03:13 PM
I agree that you're doing what's best for all, and you WILL be able to visit her, and maybe take her back later. :) As Karen said, think of it as a Boarding School. ;)

Scritchies and headbumpies from Fister and me.

Medusa
07-09-2008, 03:54 PM
People first. If you were to keep putting it off, optimistic as you may be, it could turn out badly and you'd never forgive yourself. Mina will be fine; she'll adjust w/your brother and life will be good once more. Bad person? No way. Good mother? Absolutely. Responsible pet owner? Without a doubt. :)

catmandu
07-09-2008, 04:10 PM
I Worked With A Lady Who When She Was Young, Her Family Had A Siamese Cat Who Hated Her. Her Family Tried To Have Them Be Friends, And The Cat Sadly Ending Up Clawing Her Face And Ruining The Vision In Her Left Eye, Not To Mention Traumatizing Her Aginst Cats.:(
This Is The Only Thing You Can Do, And At Least Minas Staying In The Family Where She Can Be Visited. Small Children Sometimes Scrae Cats With Thier Manic Energy And Noisy High Pitched Voices And Sadly :(some Cats Are More Scared Than Others.:(

carole
07-09-2008, 05:23 PM
I can only enforce what other's have been saying, YOU are doing the RIGHT thing, absolutely, and don't feel bad Mina is going to a loving home and just think you will be able to visit kitty, even better, i think it is a perfect solution.:love::love:

ramanth
07-09-2008, 07:30 PM
I know your heart is breaking, but it will all work out in the end. *hugs*

Sorry Mina isn't adjusting to Cadi.

Freedom
07-09-2008, 08:03 PM
It is SO frustrating and difficult when you can't MAKE things work. People -- AND Pets -- do have personalities, like and dislikes. Isn't that one of the things we all seem to agree on? That's is what ties us in many way, here on PT. And that is what makes it that we (in this case you) can't MAKE things go the way we want. I am so sorry that you have to face this difficult situation. No, it is NOT something you can ignore, and the risk of waiting to see if it gets "better" is just too great to choose that option.

Hugs to you, and to Cadi, and chin rubs for Mina.

shais_mom
07-09-2008, 08:16 PM
I'm sorry you are having to go thru this. I hope your brother will take good care of her. Your baby is your first priority, no one would disagree with that.
You have tried and tried and are not doing it lightly or for the wrong reasons.
A coworker of mine recently had twin boys after a few miscarriages and everytime she got pregnant her husband made her take her cat to her mom's house b/c he didn't want the cat around her(bona fide country farm boy :rolleyes::mad::rolleyes: ). She kept trying to force me into taking her and I refused, my house just isn't big enough for 3 cats and a large dog, nor could I afford it if I wanted to. I don't know what's happened to the cat during the rest of her pregnancy and birth of the boys.

mina'smomma
07-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Well I've taken her to my brother's and she seemed to adjust immediately. It was like they both perked up. I told David about her haveing a sensitve digestive track and what foods don't irritate her. When I left they were both curled up on the couch watching t.v. I think everything is going to be purrrfect for them. I know he will take care of her and love her and I know she will be a great companion for him.

Thank you everyone for being so supportive and sweet. That is one of the reasons I love this site. I'm not made to feel horrible because I put my daughter before Mina. I just still wished it had worked out for her here. Luckily Kasie loves Cadi so she will still have a pet to grow up with.

krazyaboutkatz
07-10-2008, 01:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear that you had to rehome her:( but you did the right thing.:) I know that my Starr would never be able to be around children because he bites. It sounds like your brother and Mina are already settling in nicely and I hope that everything works out well for them.:)

Sonia59
07-10-2008, 03:31 AM
Oh no you are not a bad mom! You did the best for everyone. And she is going to your brother, so it's almost as if she was staying in the family :)

Having to rehome kitties is something I feared when I had my baby. I prefered not to think about it too much as long as I don't have to face it. Just the idea of it is a nightmare. Fortunately I don't have any problems so far, kitties are trying to avoid the baby, they are curious but scared in the same time. Crossing fingers.

pitc9
07-10-2008, 09:22 AM
I'm happy that you found a great home for her where you can keep in close touch with her!