PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for Riley

momcat
07-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Hi PT friends!
Those of you in the Philadelphia area may have already heard about poor Riley. He's a 1 year old kitty who lives in an antique shop somewhere in the Philly area. Neighbors and passers-by loved to look in the shop after hours and watch Riley as he slept on his favorite antique chairs and play or stretch out on the shop's various wares. Riley was also known to stick his little paw out through the mail slot in the door as if he was waving to those walking by.
Sometime on the fourth of July a group of kids was seen drinking outside on the steps to the shop. Later on, Riley was found seriously injured and was rushed to the vet. X-Rays show he has a broken foot. From the examination and X-Rays as well as his injuries, the vet thinks when Riley reached out his leg was grabbed and the flap on the mailbox slot was slammed down on his foot. Riley underwent emergency surgery and word is he's doing well. The green cast with the paw prints on his left leg is just too cute. This kitty is so loved that folks in the neighborhood were planning a fund raiser to cover his veterinary care. According to the 6.00pm news, all of Riley's veterinary and recovery costs have been paid by an anonymous samaritan! (bless you whoever you are!) Sweet little Riley is expected to make a full recovery but it will take several weeks. By the way, the antique shop owner has sealed the mail slot.
Please join me in praying for Riley's swift and complete recovery from this terrible act of cruelty. As for those responsible for Riley's suffering...insert your own expletives......

Frostfrog
07-08-2008, 09:21 PM
I relate with Riley right now. Sad to hear about such senseless cruelty, but also good to hear that so many fine people have rallied behind Riley!

heidiv
07-08-2008, 10:03 PM
What is the matter with people??? What kind of emotion does someone get out of hurting the innocent animals?? I will never understand that?? I am so glad that someone was able to help out with the vet bills their are still people out there that will step up to the plate to help when needed....But this should have never happend in the first place poor baby... Thank You to the person who donated......:love::love:

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-09-2008, 04:53 AM
Awww, poor Riley!! How can people be so cruel?? Is it that funny then to hear a cat crying???

Thank you to the donating human! Get better soon dear Riley!!

Medusa
07-09-2008, 05:10 AM
It makes me sick. Poor sweet little boy was being his friendly self and someone had to cause him pain to make himself feel alive. Bless the anonymous donor and everyone who has prayed and is still praying for him.

catmandu
07-09-2008, 09:36 AM
WE ARE SENDING PRAYERS TO POOR RILEY, AND THE PET ANGELS WILL BE WITH HIM TO HELP HIM RECOVER , AND HELP HIM WITH THE PAIN.
THEY WILL BRING RILEY DELICASIES FROM THE CARIBBEAN TO HELP HIM FEEL BETTER, AND EASE THE MEMORY OF HWAT THOSE YOUNG THUGS.
DRINLKING PROBABLY ILLEGALLY , AND CRUELTY TOWARDS GOD CREATURES, ONE PRAYS THAT SOMETIME THEY WILL MEET A PUNISHMENT THAT FITS THE CRIME.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
ITS A SHAME THAT THESE PUNKS ARE SO JADED THAT THEY FIND CRUELTY AMUSING.:mad::mad::mad:

Pawsitive Thinking
07-09-2008, 09:58 AM
Poor Riley - don't suppose they will find out who did it to him?

kt_luvs_kitties
07-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Things like this make me want to throw up. Shame on the punks who thought hurting an innocent cat that just wanted attention from them was a good idea.

Prayers for Riley. Is there an address where toys and treats could be sent to him? He plays an important part in "HIS" store, and I am sure many people enjoy seeing him....:love:

kb2yjx
07-09-2008, 01:06 PM
How horrible!!! Lots of LOVE and prayers for Riley...I cannot write what else I'd like to say....

jennielynn1970
07-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Freaking drunken idiots!! I hadn't heard this story at all. I did see the one about the month old kitten in the storm drain that was blocked by the grates, which they did finally trap yesterday. Poor thing was screaming his lungs out.

What is wrong with people today? Why are they so inhumane?? I swear, they see so much of it on tv, in movies, on video games and such, it's like they think it's all just some joke. ARGH. I hate to say it, but I'd probably be really hesitant to allow any college age boys, especially if they are all rooming together, to adopt a cat/kitten/puppy/dog because of how they react in groups when drunk. Just not a good situation.

momcat
07-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Prayers for Riley. Is there an address where toys and treats could be sent to him? He plays an important part in "HIS" store, and I am sure many people enjoy seeing him....:love:

According to the news, everybody absolutely adores Riley and often go past the shop just to see him. There are many very angry people in the town right now. There are reports that a group of kids was seen drinking on the shop steps before poor Riley was found. Haven't heard if there are any suspects.

kt_luvs_kitties, I'm not aware of an address where we can send Riley toys and treats but have no fear, I'm going to e-mail the tv station and see what I can find out.

If there are suspects, I'm on the next train to Philly with the sharpest pick axe I can find so I can do unto these low-lifes... Would anyone care to join me?

Laura's Babies
07-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I hope they catch those jerks and somebody slaps them on the wrists so hard that it breaks their arms!

and thats the nicest thing I could think of to say!

jennielynn1970
07-09-2008, 10:59 PM
If there are suspects, I'm on the next train to Philly with the sharpest pick axe I can find so I can do unto these low-lifes... Would anyone care to join me?

You can count me in. I just don't get how people can harm such a sweet, innocent and friendly animal. What is wrong with our society?

kt_luvs_kitties
07-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Yes please do. I would LOVE to send him get well soon toys and treats, along with a note for the hoomans who clearly love him so. Poor guy.

I would love to find who did it, and shove certain parts of their bodys in a metal door:mad:

pitc9
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Oh the poor thing! :eek:

I'll never understand why some people do the things that they do. :mad:

I'd love nothing more than to reach my hand out to those that did this to him.....
Then SNAP their wrist!!!

momcat
07-10-2008, 07:11 PM
I've done quite a bit of checking to find out where we can send PT Get Well wishes to Riley;

The City Chateau
Pine Street
Philadelphia, Pa 19107

I also went on the internet to find the actual address for Riley's antique business but couldn't find any listing, this info is from the tv news report. Since this is such a hot story he'll probably receive our greetings at his shop. If anyone out there is familiar with Philly or is better at finding things on the net, City Chateau is in the Center City section of Philadelphia and is owned by Joseph Connolly, please let us know if you have a more complete address? There are no new updates on Riley's condition

joeycjr
07-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Thank you for all the views and responses, and most importantly your support. Riley is our store cat at City Chateau at 918 Pine Street in Philadelphia, PA, 19107. You can view him and our store at citychateauonline.com or stop in any time. Riley came home from the hospital last night and is staying at home on vacation for 8 weeks. He will be back to the store around labor day. So far all is good, he loves the pain medicine and rolls on his back and purrs after each dose!! All of his photos and updates are on myspace.com/citychateau

joeycjr
07-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Riley is my manx store kitty at our store in Center City Philadelphia. citychateauonline.com, city chateau, 918 Pine Street, Phila, PA 19107. I can't thank you all enough for you nice thoughts. And to the anonymous donor, I can't even say enough to thank them. I never expected to be on the receiving end of some kind gesture like this. It makes me very pleased to know there are kind people in the world when something terrible like this has happened. I will keep everyone posted on my Riley boy's outcome. For now, he is resting comfortably at home in a nice big carrier meant for a great dane (donated by our wonderful friends Denise and Lane Fike). Oh and he loves those meds doctor Popovitch and Orsher gave him.

Joe

jennielynn1970
07-11-2008, 07:03 PM
It's so good to hear that Riley is resting at home!! What a dear little guy he is.

I'm still baffled with the fact that people can be so cruel to animals. Doesn't take a stretch to think that the person who did it could go on to do even worse things, including people. That seems to be the precursor to a lot of personalities in crime, unfortunately.

Feel better soon, little Riley!! All of us here at Pet Talk are rooting for you!:love::love:

Catty1
07-11-2008, 08:04 PM
What a sweet little guy! Hugs and get-well-kissies to Riley!

http://a917.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/41/m_62dfafabcad6894e3ce79ca3561ebd9c.jpg

Laura's Babies
07-11-2008, 10:42 PM
joeycjr, How sweet of you to post so we can hear first hand how he is doing. It stresses us all here when something like this happens to any fur baby rather we know them or not. If you take time to read any posts here at all, you will know how much we love not only our own babies but ALL of them.

Catty1, thank you for posting that picture of that poor little baby so we can see that little sweetie.

Riley, gentle pets and rubs on your adoreable head with kisses filled with love delivered ever so gentley to you. May you heal fast and this just be a bad memory soon. You now have a world wide fan club! (psssst! That picture of you on the web sight is SO cute! What a handsome boy you are!)

phesina
07-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Prayers for dear Riley are being said by us.

jazzcat
07-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Oh, poor little guy. I'm so glad he is doing better. You enjoy that pain med Riley!!

joeycjr - thanks for the update and info. Please give him some chin scritchies for me.:)

kt_luvs_kitties
07-14-2008, 03:24 PM
I am so glad that you posted and updated us on Rileys condition. Thank you momcat for directing me here!

I will send off Riley a goody bag of his own sometime next week:D

I pray that they catch who did this, but I am glad that he is well. Please give him a smootch from me, and let him know people ALL OVER THE WORLD are praying for his quick recovery!

Taz_Zoee
07-14-2008, 03:33 PM
Awww, Riley is so adorable! I was looking at his pix on his myspace page and was almost through all of them before I realized he doesn't have a tail. LOL I hadn't read the bio yet either.

GET WELL SOON RILEY!! :D :D