PDA

View Full Version : Pecky Bird back again

fritz03
07-08-2008, 12:22 PM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/1/1133242/peckybird4.JPGHere is the bird back at the window again yesterday.It was pecking at one window and then goijng to another and looking in and calling,was at the one window today calling and at the other one also.I was looking at the Robin's nest again today when came back home,I counted four baby Robins,sure is keeping Mommy Robin busy feeding them.Bird is in bottom right corner,lots of glare from the sun.

pitc9
07-08-2008, 03:55 PM
How funny!
I think he want's to come in for a visit! :p

Laura's Babies
07-08-2008, 05:56 PM
I think that is so amusing! Maybe he wants to be a "pet" bird.

Twisterdog
07-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Maybe he wants to be a "pet" bird.

Actually, maybe he WAS a pet bird. Or at least a baby bird that was raised by a human, then released.

I raised a baby starling once, and tried to release him. He was having none of that. He wanted back in the house. He would hang on the screen door and try to pry the screen apart with his beak. He would peck on windows. He would land on my head if I went in the yard, and hold on to my hair. It was pitiful. I finally gave up and let him back in the house, where he lived in the living room for many years.

fritz03
07-09-2008, 07:14 AM
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/6/1/1133242/peckybird5.JPGThe little birdie is back again this morning.Has been at the one window three times singing and at another window pecking.By the way you described the Starling you had Twisterdog,it is quite possible it was a pet bird and is trying to find where it was released from.

catlover4ever
07-09-2008, 07:27 AM
Actually window pecking can be very dangerous to the birds. Basically they see their reflections and think that it is another bird that they are seeing and birds are territorial and because this "other bird" (the reflection) does not go away the bird will continue to peck and peck until the reflection disappears. When they do this they can actually damage their beaks and can even give themselves head trauma. It is recommended that you place something in the window to make it so the bird does not see it's reflection. Do you have a shade that you can pull over the window or close the curtains. You can also put decals or colored paper in the window....anything that will help to loose the reflection that the bird is seeing.