PDA

View Full Version : Finally introducing my two boys Muddy and Finnigan

Emeraldgreen
07-08-2008, 12:15 AM
A while back I received a nice PM from Wolf-Q asking about my dogs. That was about a month ago! All my posts have been mostly about my cats but I do have two WONDERFUL dogs and I would like to formally introduce them. :)
We adopted Muddy when he was 5 years old at the SPCA. We were looking for a younger dog to join our family because our then 16 year old Rhodeshian/coyote cross was getting on. We spotted Muddy who had been given the name Freddy by the shelter. His name for 5 years had been Buddy but the shelter already had 2 other Buddy's there so they changed his name.
He had been part of the same family for 5 years and when the husband and wife divorced, she left with their child and he dumped the dog at the shelter the same day. He spent 6 months there. :( We fell in love with him and so did our old girl 'Smokey'. We named him Muddy so it sounded like his old name and because he is a real hole digger. He still is even though he is 11 going on 12 now.
We always thought Muddy was a mix of somesort but then one day a friend of my husband who is a retired english policeman who used to train Belgian Malinois for 25 years came over and he said "why didn't you tell me you had a Malinois?!?" We said we didn't know he was any particular breed. He said he is positive that he is so I believe him.
Smokey died a year or so after we got Muddy and then we decided to find another dog. We looked on Petfinder and found him at another SPCA! He looked just like Muddy but was 4 months old. For some reason I'm drawn to red dogs! Our dog Smokey looked just like these two guys too.
'Freckles' was located 2 ferry rides away and the round trip was about 15 hours but it was worth it. We renamed him Finnigan and he and Muddy became instant 'brothers'. Finn is half Basenji and half we're not sure what, maybe shepherd of some sort. Since Basenji's are barkless, Finn has the funniest sounding bark that he rarely makes. He only barks if a deer runs by their yard. Muddy is a real barker so it's good that only one of them does this or my neighbours would probably be fed up.

Finnigan has spent every minute of his life since we adopted him with Muddy. We are very concerned about how he is going to manage when Mud goes to the RB. Because of this, we are thinking of adopting a third dog but we're not ready yet. We just want Finnigan to have another dog to be with when that time comes for Muddy.

But, they are both doing very well right now. Muddy's eyesight is going a bit and so is his hearing but he races around with Finn everyday and he surprised us the other day by taking off after a deer into the woods. We immediately went after him to stop him because we love the deer but it was neat to see Muddy be so spry! :)

Here is a video I took last week after I gave them both a bath. They are still wet in the video and in need of a brushing! LOL They look great now that all the shedding fur has come off and they're fur is so soft now. I can't believe they make doggy conditioner! We use the Aloe and Oatmeal stuff and it doesn't seem to bother them.

Anyway, here are my beloved boys.:love:

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/th_28adaf83.jpg (http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd102/emeraldcreek/?action=view&current=28adaf83.pbr)

krazyaboutkatz
07-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Muddy and Finnigan sure are very handsome dogs and they really seem to have a strong bond.:) Sneakers is such a gorgeous cat too but she seems a bit feisty towards your dogs. I love the way she's so chatty.:)

MoonandBean
07-08-2008, 05:59 AM
SOOO cute! That whole video made me smile. The dogs are beautiful and it was nice hearing you and hubby interact with them. Sneakers stole the show though with his voice and headbutting the camera. Moon and Bean liked that Sneakers gave one of the dogs a little swat...they try that with Sunny but she keeps coming back for more :)

Thanks for sharing them with us. You have a beautiful family and now we know them all (hubby even snuck in the video :))

boomersooner
07-08-2008, 06:35 AM
Such sweet dogs....thanks for sharing! I love that "wild dog" that all dogs act like after their baths....then they just crash!! HA

Casper
07-08-2008, 09:15 AM
I am so glad we finally got to meet Muddy and Finnigan! We certainly have been missing out on two handsome boys. I love how Finnigan's tail always seems to be wagging, and when Muddy is rolling in the grass. Both of them look so happy. The cat gave me a good laugh, they can be so pesky sometimes, can't they?

Emeraldgreen
07-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Muddy and Finnigan sure are very handsome dogs and they really seem to have a strong bond.:) Sneakers is such a gorgeous cat too but she seems a bit feisty towards your dogs. I love the way she's so chatty.:)

Both dogs love all the cats and wish they could play with them. However, Sneakers has other ideas! LOL George, Oliver and Paddy are all afraid of the dogs even though they are gentle fellows (the dogs I mean). Tiger, Teenie, Tiny, Stinky and Jimmy all adore the dogs and snuggle with them. I can see that the dogs get confused and don't understand why some kitties are nice and others hiss and swat.

SOOO cute! That whole video made me smile. The dogs are beautiful and it was nice hearing you and hubby interact with them. Sneakers stole the show though with his voice and headbutting the camera. Moon and Bean liked that Sneakers gave one of the dogs a little swat...they try that with Sunny but she keeps coming back for more

Thanks for sharing them with us. You have a beautiful family and now we know them all (hubby even snuck in the video )

Sneakers seems to be in every video, even one that was supposed to be about dogs! LOL

Such sweet dogs....thanks for sharing! I love that "wild dog" that all dogs act like after their baths....then they just crash!! HA

I thought they were going to really go crazy after the baths but they were just 'sorta crazy' this time. :)

I am so glad we finally got to meet Muddy and Finnigan! We certainly have been missing out on two handsome boys. I love how Finnigan's tail always seems to be wagging, and when Muddy is rolling in the grass. Both of them look so happy. The cat gave me a good laugh, they can be so pesky sometimes, can't they?
Thanks! Yep, that curly tail of Finn's is always going! He is one of the happiest guys I've ever met. He has a lovely disposition and is so gentle. We're so glad we found them.

Ginger's Mom
07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
Unfortunately I cannot view 90% of the videos at work, and I have dial-up at home, so I am unable to view your video. But please feel free to post more pictures and stories about your handsome boys. I would love to see more of them.

lizbud
07-08-2008, 05:23 PM
I've noticed your dogs in your signature before & it's great to meet them
now.:) They both great pals aren't they.:)

Sneakers is a cutie too.:)

4 Dog Mother
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM
I have often wondered about your dogs too - it was great meeting them and watching them interact with each other, you, your husband and Sneakers. Sneakers is a very vocal cat! Loved her part of the video. You need to share more pictures of Muddy and Finnegan though!

wolf_Q
07-10-2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks for posting a video of them! They are really beautiful dogs and you can tell they have sweet personalities as well. :) I hope you continue to post more about them, I'd love to see some pics too!

kt_luvs_kitties
07-10-2008, 11:07 PM
I think they are both very handsome, and gentle too!