PDA

View Full Version : Some coffee fans get grim delight in Starbucks woes

Catty1
07-07-2008, 07:52 PM
No grief at my end...lots of great local cafes where I live.;)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080706/us/usreport_usa_coffeeshops_dc

Some coffee fans get grim delight in Starbucks woes

Sun Jul 6, 7:40 AM

By Ellen Wulfhorst
ADVERTISEMENT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - One coffee drinker's bad news is another coffee drinker's good news, it seems.

Financial woes at Starbucks Corp., which is planning to close 600 underperforming U.S. stores, is evoking glee and little sympathy from aficionados who say they resent the coffee shop giant and favor small independent cafes.

"I'm so happy. I'm so not a Starbucks person," said Melinda Vigliotti, sipping iced coffee at the Irving Farm Coffee House in New York. "I believe in supporting small businesses. Starbucks, bye-bye."

"Amen," chimed in Keith DiLauro, a local caterer. "They went too big, too fast."

Seattle-based Starbucks burst onto the national scene in the 1990s and grew to more than 6,000 locations around the world. But with cups of coffee that can cost several dollars, it faces a slowing economy and slowed consumer spending.

"Starbucks has really created a coffee culture, raising awareness of good coffee, which is good for independents," said Carol Watson, owner of the Milk and Honey coffee shop in Chicago. "But on the other hand, they're on practically every corner, and that makes it tough on the little guy too."

In Birmingham, Alabama, retiree Peggy Bonfield, drinking coffee at the Crestwood Coffee Shop, said: "When a Starbucks closes, it makes room for a local business to start.

"I consider that good news," she said.

The schadenfreude of coffee drinkers drawing satisfaction from another's misfortune is part of the popular culture that enjoys the downfall of companies or celebrities, said Jim Carroll, a Canadian-based trends and innovation expert.

"There are a lot of people out there who take delight in seeing an icon torn down by the masses," he said.

Starbucks fell victim to a rapid change in attitude, fueled by Internet bloggers complaining endlessly about everything from layoffs to its breakfast sandwiches, he said.

"Starbucks was a cool brand, and then all of a sudden it's not a cool brand," he said. "There's this new global consciousness that is out there that can suddenly shift."

CAFE CULTURE

Indeed, said Pye Parson, who hails from Seattle and works at Birmingham's Crestwood, "Once it went corporate, it wasn't Starbucks anymore."

New York Web designer Zachary Thacher, who favors Greenwich Village's cafes, said he avoids Starbucks. "They've commoditized cafe culture, which is why I don't go," he said.

The environmental movement toward buying and appreciating locally grown products has helped neighborhood cafes and hurt the myriad look-a-like Starbucks stores, said Judy Ramberg, a consumer strategist at Iconoculture, a Minneapolis-based trend research company.

The company that began as innovative is now known for consistency and convenience, she said. "To me, that's a huge step down," she said. "You've built your franchise on people who are coming in because they know exactly what they want."

Precisely, said Justin Sergi, explaining why he preferred Lux, a cafe in Phoenix serving lattes with a fern-like pattern teased from steamed milk in ceramic cups, over Starbucks.

"The people that work there are very pleasant, but the stores are devoid of any kind of real charm or personality," he said. "They push a button, and a machine does everything from grinding the beans to brewing the drink."

It's not as though Starbucks doesn't have defenders,

"It's convenient," said Anthony Castro, sitting in a Starbucks near his job at New York's Museum of Modern Art. "I know what to expect."

In Birmingham, Crestwood regular Gary Adkins said he felt Starbucks gave employees good salaries and benefits. But now Starbucks' plans call for cutting up to 12,000 full- and part-time positions.

Not everyone felt strongly. "It's just coffee," said Marc Poulin, a systems administrator at Zibetto Espresso Bar in New York. "If I was an investor, I'd care."

(Additional reporting by Tim Gaynor, Andrew Stern and Verna Gates; editing by Todd Eastham)

jennielynn1970
07-07-2008, 08:37 PM
Wow...

They finally opened up some shops here in Allentown this past year. Not sure why we need 3 or 4 of them, but they're here.

I'm still partial to the local cafes... if and when I want coffee, which is maybe once a year, lol. At least the ambiance is better at them.

RockyRoad
07-07-2008, 10:18 PM
I`m a typical New Yorker - I run on coffee. :p Almost one-quarter of the kids in my high school even worked at Starbucks! But in my town, Starbucks is the only coffee shop (aside from 7-11). If there was a nice, quaint small shop around, I would definitely be first in line!
What was funny was a few months ago when I was watching the news, they did a segment on how the Starbucks shops were closing early for a few days (I think it was to further train their employees?) and they interviewed people on the streets in NYC to get their reactions. It was too funny - so many people interviewed were panicking, and almost everyone was angry!

shais_mom
07-07-2008, 10:32 PM
No grief at my end...lots of great local cafes where I live.;)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/080706/us/usreport_usa_coffeeshops_dc

Some coffee fans get grim delight in Starbucks woes

Sun Jul 6, 7:40 AM

By Ellen Wulfhorst
ADVERTISEMENT

NEW YORK (Reuters) - One coffee drinker's bad news is another coffee drinker's good news, it seems.

Financial woes at Starbucks Corp., which is planning to close 600 underperforming U.S. stores, is evoking glee and little sympathy from aficionados who say they resent the coffee shop giant and favor small independent cafes.

"I'm so happy. I'm so not a Starbucks person," said Melinda Vigliotti, sipping iced coffee at the Irving Farm Coffee House in New York. "I believe in supporting small businesses. Starbucks, bye-bye."

"Amen," chimed in Keith DiLauro, a local caterer. "They went too big, too fast."

Seattle-based Starbucks burst onto the national scene in the 1990s and grew to more than 6,000 locations around the world. But with cups of coffee that can cost several dollars, it faces a slowing economy and slowed consumer spending.

"Starbucks has really created a coffee culture, raising awareness of good coffee, which is good for independents," said Carol Watson, owner of the Milk and Honey coffee shop in Chicago. "But on the other hand, they're on practically every corner, and that makes it tough on the little guy too."

In Birmingham, Alabama, retiree Peggy Bonfield, drinking coffee at the Crestwood Coffee Shop, said: "When a Starbucks closes, it makes room for a local business to start.

"I consider that good news," she said.

The schadenfreude of coffee drinkers drawing satisfaction from another's misfortune is part of the popular culture that enjoys the downfall of companies or celebrities, said Jim Carroll, a Canadian-based trends and innovation expert.

"There are a lot of people out there who take delight in seeing an icon torn down by the masses," he said.

Starbucks fell victim to a rapid change in attitude, fueled by Internet bloggers complaining endlessly about everything from layoffs to its breakfast sandwiches, he said.

"Starbucks was a cool brand, and then all of a sudden it's not a cool brand," he said. "There's this new global consciousness that is out there that can suddenly shift."

CAFE CULTURE

Indeed, said Pye Parson, who hails from Seattle and works at Birmingham's Crestwood, "Once it went corporate, it wasn't Starbucks anymore."

New York Web designer Zachary Thacher, who favors Greenwich Village's cafes, said he avoids Starbucks. "They've commoditized cafe culture, which is why I don't go," he said.

The environmental movement toward buying and appreciating locally grown products has helped neighborhood cafes and hurt the myriad look-a-like Starbucks stores, said Judy Ramberg, a consumer strategist at Iconoculture, a Minneapolis-based trend research company.

The company that began as innovative is now known for consistency and convenience, she said. "To me, that's a huge step down," she said. "You've built your franchise on people who are coming in because they know exactly what they want."

Precisely, said Justin Sergi, explaining why he preferred Lux, a cafe in Phoenix serving lattes with a fern-like pattern teased from steamed milk in ceramic cups, over Starbucks.

"The people that work there are very pleasant, but the stores are devoid of any kind of real charm or personality," he said. "They push a button, and a machine does everything from grinding the beans to brewing the drink."

It's not as though Starbucks doesn't have defenders,

"It's convenient," said Anthony Castro, sitting in a Starbucks near his job at New York's Museum of Modern Art. "I know what to expect."

In Birmingham, Crestwood regular Gary Adkins said he felt Starbucks gave employees good salaries and benefits. But now Starbucks' plans call for cutting up to 12,000 full- and part-time positions.

Not everyone felt strongly. "It's just coffee," said Marc Poulin, a systems administrator at Zibetto Espresso Bar in New York. "If I was an investor, I'd care."

(Additional reporting by Tim Gaynor, Andrew Stern and Verna Gates; editing by Todd Eastham)

I'm glad that all those people can delight in the loss of precious jobs that our United States does NOT need to lose. Nice.:mad::mad::mad:

Catty1
07-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Hey - and maybe it will each the labour crunch up in Canada where there are MANY MANY Starbucks stores.

AND - let's have some new coffee places open and hire those people...hopefully for better wages.

shais_mom
07-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Hey - and maybe it will each the labour crunch up in Canada where there are MANY MANY Starbucks stores.

'huh'?????

Vela
07-07-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm with you Staci in thinking its NOT funny at all. Those people lost their jobs, it's not even remotely funny. Just what this country needs, more jobs lost, whatever they may be. It's SOMEONE'S income now gone.

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 12:08 AM
There is a 'counter culture' ideal about big business that some people have.

The same big businesses that gave their parents the ability to raise them are now the enemy. Betcha the people who are laughing would have a different view if they were getting canned.

I am not a real coffee person and think I am the last adult in the U.S. that has never been inside one or bought a cup from that chain - I'm not a fan of Starbucks, but I do feel badly for the people that are soon to be unemployed.

All in all, the same people who are cheering the closings are the same kind of shallow people who really don't see the economic, personal and familial impact on each of us.

If they owned a building where three or four renter's worked there to make the rent, would they feel any better? What happens to the kids that are working there to pay for school, book or rent?

Seriously, they would have the same bad attitude if they were the ones losing their jobs, "I hope they go bankrupt", "eff Starbucks"....It's just a matter of where you are in the chain of events. :(

shais_mom
07-08-2008, 02:54 AM

The same big businesses that gave their parents the ability to raise them are now the enemy. Betcha the people who are laughing would have a different view if they were getting canned.

I am not a real coffee person and think I am the last adult in the U.S. that has never been inside one or bought a cup from that chain - I'm not a fan of Starbucks, but I do feel badly for the people that are soon to be unemployed.

All in all, the same people who are cheering the closings are the same kind of shallow people who really don't see the economic, personal and familial impact on each of us.

If they owned a building where three or four renter's worked there to make the rent, would they feel any better? What happens to the kids that are working there to pay for school, book or rent?

Seriously, they would have the same bad attitude if they were the ones losing their jobs, "I hope they go bankrupt", "eff Starbucks"....It's just a matter of where you are in the chain of events. :(

very well said Richard.
and I doubt you are the last one, remember those farmers out in the midwest who don't go anywhere near big cities, prefer their coffee, black and unsugarered, uncreamed and hot, have probably never been in one. My dad's one of them, fancy coffees give him indigestion! ;)

Starbucks is like an overpriced McDonald's in the coffee world. So would it be funny, if 600 McDonald's closed?

Medusa
07-08-2008, 05:24 AM

My sentiments exactly. And, if for no other reason, I would be ashamed to delight in the downfall of someone, whether it's a corporation or an individual. It's no different from what we do w/celebrities. We put them on a pedestal and can't wait to find something so that we can kick that pedestal right out from under them. Makes some of us feel superior, I guess.

I've only been inside a Starbucks twice w/a friend and I can take it or leave it. I'm not a big coffee drinker; I have one cup in the morning to keep from bouncing off the walls and that's it. When I lived in Sedona, there was a wonderful small coffee shop that I went to nearly every day, not for the coffee but for the sense of community. There was entertainment there, good entertainment, not just locals who wanted their 15 minutes. As a matter of fact, celebrities who lived in the area would sometimes come by and perform. And still this place closed down because they couldn't keep up w/inflation. I was so sad to see it go and Sedona seemed to change after that. So I imagine that if a Starbucks's closing is going to affect people in that way, it's sad indeed, aside from the fact that it's affecting our economy in a negative way.

dukedogsmom
07-08-2008, 07:41 PM
I love Starbucks. Our local coffee house coffee is horrible! It's just about undrinkable. Too bad because I love the atmosphere. I get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts. We don't have a Starbucks :(

RICHARD
07-08-2008, 09:05 PM
I love Starbucks. Our local coffee house coffee is horrible! It's just about undrinkable. Too bad because I love the atmosphere. I get my coffee at Dunkin Donuts. We don't have a Starbucks :(

That's one problem about the chain. They saturated the areas where they saw one franchise make money. "If one SB is good....Two will be better!"

The El Lay area is choked with them.

Another thing that I noticed, but I do not know enough about the business rules they use when awarding franchises, is how much control the company has over each store. Have you ever seen a McDonald's go out if business?

If anything, they grow on the spot they started! Do they do a marketing study? Poll customers? Study traffic tendencies? The move towards putting a (name the business) on every corner has it drawbacks and I suspect that SB didn't do their homework!

I watched a 'drive thru' SB being built in the next town over. There were signs galore promising "Coming Soon-Starbucks!".It will be interesting to see if that one survives.

Krispy Kreme got totally racked up when they moved to the West, from what I understand it was a company that was started in the South- and people out here weren't familiar with that brand or style of product!

They opened two stores locally and the news programs were reporting about the wait for doughnuts. 20-30 cars in line....Later, when the media started to report about fats, health and all that is bad for you- the volume dropped and the store with all the people waiting in line, closed! I understand how the reports of fats, sugar and anything deep fried was bad for you had on the doughnut industry, but I figure a store that is printing money would be immune to the axe!

--------------

Franchising any business if risky! I saw a news report about the widow of a Subway sandwich franchisee. The man committed suicide after the company literally priced the man to death. SW does not allow any franchise owner to purchase any supplies or food from anyone else outside the chain.

Produce, all the way down to the toilet paper and soap used in the store must be purchased from the Main Office. The owner, had more than one store and was slowly losing money-I seem to remember that he was making literally pennies on every sandwich- and since he had sunk all the family saving into the stores, he felt like there was no way out.

Very sad...

Twisterdog
07-09-2008, 12:06 AM
We got a Starbucks here a year or two ago. Everyone, myself included, was SO excited! We had all heard do much about the wonders of Starbucks, and for our small town, it was a BIG deal.

Well, I have been to Starbucks exactly three times. I was not impressed at all. I found the menu to have about one fifth the choices of our local coffee houses, at about double the price. And the three things I did order were not particularly great - not horrible, but not wonderful.

jennielynn1970
07-09-2008, 01:36 AM
I think the last time I was in a Starbucks was in 2004. I took my then boyfriend to NYC to see a Broadway musical. We ended up at Starbucks because he wanted coffee. I, however, bought the drinkable chocolate :D. That stuff was overwhelming, but really really good!!!

Cataholic
07-09-2008, 01:42 PM
I love, love, love SB. The same consistency cup after cup after cup. And, the service is wonderful. When I was going regularly, I enjoyed having my drink ready at the counter. Now? One of the women remembers, and I still find it nice.

I don't really understand the whole counter culture idea that Richard discussed. I just don't get going against something cause it is 'big', a chain, commercialized, etc. To me, it is as odd as the people that want to dress differently than the "norm", just to be different.

I think SB pulling back has as much to do with the "recession" as it does with anything else.

jennielynn1970
07-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I don't really understand the whole counter culture idea that Richard discussed. I just don't get going against something cause it is 'big', a chain, commercialized, etc. To me, it is as odd as the people that want to dress differently than the "norm", just to be different.

I totally understand supporting the mom and pop places vs. the chains. I will go to a mom and pop restaurant/coffee house, whatever really, as opposed to a chain restaurant.

I like to support the small business owner, and I like the quality of service I receive, as well as the variety on their menus that will normally change weekly, as well as the quality. They normally buy their ingredients fresh for that day, and that makes a huge difference. I think the only chain I support is 7-11 for their slurpees and their hotdogs, lol.

Cinder & Smoke
07-09-2008, 08:45 PM
I am the last adult in the U.S. that has never been inside one or bought a cup from that chain ...

No, now there's at least three of us.

But even if you don't like their product; it's a bit nasty to cheer for the company's
demise and the resultant loss of jobs. :(

shais_mom
07-09-2008, 09:49 PM
No, now there's at least three of us.

But even if you don't like their product; it's a bit nasty to cheer for the company's
demise and the resultant loss of jobs. :(

well said.

shais_mom
07-09-2008, 09:51 PM

'huh'?????

I noticed you've successfully ignored my question here on clarifying this statement that makes no sense, I know I'm a hick American, but for the life of me I can't figure it out.

dukedogsmom
07-09-2008, 09:52 PM
I totally understand supporting the mom and pop places vs. the chains. I will go to a mom and pop restaurant/coffee house, whatever really, as opposed to a chain restaurant.

I like to support the small business owner, and I like the quality of service I receive, as well as the variety on their menus that will normally change weekly, as well as the quality. They normally buy their ingredients fresh for that day, and that makes a huge difference. I think the only chain I support is 7-11 for their slurpees and their hotdogs, lol.
I like to support local businesses, as well. But when the product is unsatisfying and below par, I go elsewhere. I don't understand the big "brew" haha about going to a big chain.

RICHARD
07-09-2008, 09:57 PM
How many Home Depots do I need in my area?

There are at least 4 within a 15 mile circle of my house-with a Lowe's being put in about 3 miles from the pad. I don't mind driving a few miles to get what I need but, there when is it enough? It's a double edged sword-there are neighborhood groups that are protesting the building of another home center in their area.....they are more concerned about the day laborers, traffic, littering and all the other stuff that happens when a new business come to town.

I see their point, but I also see the economic benefits of businesses-jobs, other businesses want to build in the area, other nearby businesses gain customers!

I used to go to a Thai food restaurant on paydays, I'd walk in the door and the woman who took food orders would yell at me, "SAME?" I'd nod, answer, "SAME!" pay for my food and go to the gas station, get a lottery ticket at the 7-11 and come back for my to go order. Perfect every time.

Try that at a McDonald's!

----------------------

I have no problem with big business making money or opening up stores/outlets/restaurants. I just find that people who have an agenda are the ones with the biggest hatred about BB. The woman drinking her "Half soy, half salmon, latte with half foam, half and half whole vanilla bean milk, with ice at the Irving Coffee Farm House and Emporium might be a little snobby because she doesn't march in lockstep with the people who like SB?

Ms. I-Cater-And-Hate-SB doesn't like the fact that people show up at a function she caters and won't drink her coffee because of the SB cup in their hands? I can imagine the carafes of joe she has to dump after people turn down her offerings?

Media always puts a spin on the news, they won't talk to the people who liked the SB down the street because they can "joe-up" on the way to work.
They won't talk to the poor "joes" who will lose their jobs.

They just find the people with an ax to grind and no concept of how 600 stores and 12,000 workers will disappear from the economic streets of America, and the trickle down impact on you and me.

Catty1
07-09-2008, 10:18 PM
OK, the whole thread seemed to carry on just fine without my answering that question....anyway, I meant that there are a lot of Starbucks in Canada also. In Alberta - we're rich with oil, have horribly expensive housing and prices, and many people (including me) need two jobs to just try and hold their heads above water.

Seems everyone has gone off to work in the oil patch, so there is also a shortage of labour. Lots of jobs for crappy pay.

I meant that a bunch of Starbucks closing would help that situation. However, the former workers there would go to another job where the wages are just as crappy and unlivable.

Smaller companies might have less to lose and stick around longer, and maybe be better employers.

I see it as a difference in aircraft in accidents. If a Cessna goes down in a open field, maybe 4 people are affected.

If a 767 crashes - many more.

So while not talking about pro or con about big businesses - people employed by the big ones stand to lose a lot more if Head Office decides to cut back.

Smaller companies don't have the 'axe' decision made by someone far away who could care less about the people who work for them. I suspect they are more able to look at various solutions to the recession or other circumstances that hit them.

shais_mom
07-10-2008, 12:14 AM
How many Home Depots do I need in my area?

The woman drinking her "Half soy, half salmon, latte with half foam, half and half whole vanilla bean milk, with ice at the.

our local Home Depot (in Findlay about 30 min from me- closest one) has closed.
and I just quoted the Half soy, half salmon b/c that made me giggle but really I'm thinking - YUCK!! :p

I like to support local businesses, as well. But when the product is unsatisfying and below par, I go elsewhere. I don't understand the big "brew" haha about going to a big chain.
this is a good point.
I live in a small town that for many many years did without a Walmart, has mom/pop groceries and many home grown restaurants. Unfortunately, you pay for convenience b/c what you can get at the mom/pop groceries are usually more expensive than found in BB. True story I bought a package of sliced cheese at our local mom/pop grocery for $3.97 - I went to Walmart and happened to see the same product for $1.50. When this happened, the gas prices weren't as outrageous as now but even with them as high as they were then, it still paid to do your business OUT of town. We had a local store that was similiar to Big Wheel, called Pamida. I know it isn't local - b/c there are others around just not as conglomerated as Walmart. I rarely shopped there b/c 1)their prices were astronomical 2) they revamped their store and made it harder than Hades to get around in. When I was on crutches last year, I tried to shop there using the scooter, there was no way I could get where I wanted to, b/c there was no room. I left and went to Walmart where the aisles are bigger and more handicap accessible.
Pamida ended up closing in April-it just couldn't keep up with Walmart.
I do shop/give my money to the local yocal restaurants around town, (the only chain restaurants we have are fast food) but when I travel to Findlay, I rarely go to the local restaurants there, b/c they have more chain restaurants there and a lot less the local yocal ones. But there are people that live in Findlay that will drive 30+ minutes to eat at our mom/pop establishments- so that's saying something for quality.

I like to support the small business owner, and I like the quality of service I receive,
this is true as well MOST of the time. We have a well known steak restaurant here in my town that's been in business for YEARS. Its locally owned and operated. For quite a few years, my department from work had our Christmas party there b/c we enjoy the food, atmosphere, and they had an upstairs room where we could be served that was out of the public eye. When you work in the medical profession in a small town, (law enforcement and public service as well) you don't want people to see you drinking and smoking and yakking it up. At least that is the mentality of our town and my boss. Right before our Christmas party, they called my boss and said would you want to share the room with another party? my boss said "NO" they said well you don't have enough people for that room so we are moving you. ummm well we want somewhere where we will be out of the way. "yea whatever" was the response. We were seated in a corner with all these tables around us, our waitress had many other tables so our service SUCKED, (when you are up in the upstairs room - you get one dedicated waitress) so John Q Public was sitting there watching us eat/drink/smoke and open our white elephant gifts. Which for lack of room we had piled on the floor what we thought was out of the way until our waitress KICKED the gift out of her way. Come to find out the party that was going on in "our" room was from an out of county hospital. They chose to put the out of county party ahead of us, when we had reserved that room for a year in advance. My boss was livid and we haven't been back there since!
So you are right - if the product from a big business is not up to par - you won't be back, but in this instance if the product and service of a local mom/pop restaurant SUCKS as well, but I get good food/service at a chain restaurant, I'll be going there.

dukedogsmom
07-10-2008, 01:12 AM
See? Even Dasher likes Starbucks :D
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/042107_1.jpg

RICHARD
07-10-2008, 01:40 AM
SM,

LOL, The reason I don't go into SB's is the fact I don't know what to order. A ventral cerebellum half foam and half lactic acid? (little hospital humor there..):rolleyes:

----------------

I try to support my local businesses, when I can afford them!

What Shai's_mom said about pricing is true.....Unless it's a product like a bag of chips, that has the price printed on the bag or some other pre-priced item.

Of course, small biz (I have to abbreviate-as much as I don't like to do it!) do not do the volume sales that a larger market/store do-the prices have to be higher. There are the five "top sellers" that are pretty overpriced. But what can you do?

Top sellers=TP, milk, sanitary nappies, diapers and ciggies.

If by some reason you forget or run out, the closest store will do. You do have to pay for convenience! I went to the corner store for a beer. I thought I'd buy a quart, as opposed to getting a couple of cans. A 32 ounce beer was 2.50. I went to the warehouse super a few days later and priced a quart at 1.38!

ON the other hand sometimes BB is the way to go when you run into a service/quality problem.

Sam's Sewer Service or Roto-Rooter?
Tony's Towing or Triple A?
Timmy's Tires or A Goodwrench Service Center?

-------

The only big biz that I have a problem with is entertainment-namely, sports, movies and concerts.

One of the last concerts I went to cost me 50 dollars to stand for three hours and when I bought a drink at the bar it cost me 15 bucks for a serving the size of the paper cups you use in the bathroom.

Today you have to be a smart consumer, know how much you want of an item, where to buy it and how to find it at the price you are willing to pay.

In the original article there were only two people who were 'concerned' about the SB chain cutting back. So obviously it's a hatchet piece on SB.

---------

Also, there is the Fad Aspect of Products. The cool factor of "all things needed" is very laughable and shows how gullible the consumer is.

I want an iPod, I want a IPhone, Tickle me Elmo, Xbox.....

I get serious giggles when I see IDIOTS standing in line to buy the item du jour. They pay 300 dollars for the latest phone, only to see it sold for 59.99 a year later.

By that time everyone has one and it's not the status symbol/cool thing to have. Sad to say, but it's happened to SB-it's not cool anymore!

We are all status conscious with our cars, clothes, food and electronics.
When everyone has or gets one, we all have to find something else to put us back on top of the status pole.:rolleyes:

RICHARD
07-13-2008, 05:02 PM
Since I am not on top of the current offerings from the 'Gods of all Things Battery Operated" I did not know that there was a new iPhone offered this week.

According to the news, It's cheaper than the original but the monthly service cost more.

You have to love fashion, fad and the consumer mentality.;)

CountryWolf07
07-14-2008, 12:25 PM
See? Even Dasher likes Starbucks :D
http://www.boomspeed.com/dukedogsmom/042107_1.jpg

This made me giggle.

I love Starbucks, but I don't go as often anymore. I also love small coffee shops, they're the best kind, I think. But however, coffee is coffee to me. I don't have any near me, but when I am at Mike's 20 miles away, there are quite a few, so we always go and grab a cup. :)

CathyBogart
07-14-2008, 01:16 PM
I love Starbucks, and it's the only place near me that brews fresh coffee every half an hour. If I go to the two mom and pop shops nearby, I get stale coffee unless it's 7am. Not cool to me, because I AM picky about my coffee.

jennielynn1970
07-14-2008, 10:49 PM
I see your point with the coffee. I'm not a fan of coffee, but if I were, I'd want it fresh and not stale.

I like chai, but I'll make my own at home and take it with me if I want it at school. OR I'll buy Pacific Chai powder and make it at school. I've had chai at different places (mom and pop shops and chains) and was never thrilled with it. Always too sweet. Always too fake. When I make it at home, I can regulate how long I steep the chai and how much milk and sugar I add. Maybe if I made decent coffee at home I'd like it. I love the smell, but coffee itself just seems to upset my stomach.

I do like the house latte at Panera. It's mostly milk, has maybe a shot of espresso in it, not sure what exactly is in it, but like I said, mostly milk. And honey. If I have anything other than tea there, that's what I get. I've taken to making my own paninis at home as well. I can put on what I want, and it doesn't cost me an arm and a leg.

I guess what a lot of it comes down to is really quality of what we want and quality of service. If the one of the local mom and pop places doesn't suit me, I can always find another one. The Lehigh Valley has a ton of options, thankfully. That may not be the case in other areas I guess.

I am still a fan of a really good diner though, lol. My favorite here was just renovated and made into a regular restaurant.:( It ticks me off. It was the best place to go at 2am to get breakfast or whatever you were hungry for. Are diners as prevalent in other places as well?? We have a TON of diners in the Lehigh Valley.

Medusa
07-15-2008, 06:43 AM
I am still a fan of a really good diner though, lol. My favorite here was just renovated and made into a regular restaurant.:( It ticks me off. It was the best place to go at 2am to get breakfast or whatever you were hungry for. Are diners as prevalent in other places as well?? We have a TON of diners in the Lehigh Valley.

We had a great diner in the town where I grew up in PA. I think it's still there. My best friend and I would order hot roast beef sandwiches w/real mashed potatoes, pile on the salt and pepper and play the table side juke box. My selections were always "Dream On Little Dreamer" by Perry Como and "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers. What bittersweet memories! Good grief, am I old!

caseysmom
07-15-2008, 09:40 AM
I love Starbucks, and it's the only place near me that brews fresh coffee every half an hour. If I go to the two mom and pop shops nearby, I get stale coffee unless it's 7am. Not cool to me, because I AM picky about my coffee.

Me too I can't stand coffee thats been sitting. Starbucks beats anything else around here.

Cataholic
07-15-2008, 11:26 AM
LOL, The reason I don't go into SB's is the fact I don't know what to order. A ventral cerebellum half foam and half lactic acid? (little hospital humor there..):rolleyes:

Try this: "Hi, coffee of the day, please, with room for creme". Works like a charm everytime, kind of like ordering in a restaurant. That seems pretty easy to me, but, I will confess I am a huge coffee lover.

ON the other hand sometimes BB is the way to go when you run into a service/quality problem.

Too true. I cannot stand small businesses with a return policy dictating that things must be returned, unopened, original box, reciept, etc., all within 22 minutes of leaving the store.

Also, there is the Fad Aspect of Products. The cool factor of "all things needed" is very laughable and shows how gullible the consumer is.

I want an iPod, I want a IPhone, Tickle me Elmo, Xbox.....

Course, you do have to factor in technological advancements, too. How lovely and light to run with an ipod rather than the discman. Does it make a difference? At my age, and my outofshapeness, ALL things make a difference. I love the ipod (or mp3 player) for its portability, convenience and function. Am I necessarily an "idiot" cause I like that? Guess that is up to the labeler.

By that time everyone has one and it's not the status symbol/cool thing to have. Sad to say, but it's happened to SB-it's not cool anymore!

I think SB 'demise', if in fact it IS a demise, is more about discretionary spending than it is 'faddiness'.

We are all status conscious with our cars, clothes, food and electronics.
When everyone has or gets one, we all have to find something else to put us back on top of the status pole.:rolleyes:

Leave me out of the status conscious group referenced above. I buy things based on their usefulness to ME, not someone else's opinion of me using it. I gather most working people feel the same way???

Anyone here buying SB, or other things, to impress the masses?

RICHARD
07-15-2008, 07:50 PM
Leave me out of the status conscious group referenced above. I buy things based on their usefulness to ME, not someone else's opinion of me using it. I gather most working people feel the same way???

Touchy today, ain't we?

I don't run anywhere anymore.

I was late to work one day and saw a nurse sprinting to the elevators.
When she stopped to catch her breath I asked her if the building was going anywhere....:rolleyes:

We can get GPS on a cell phone, but are still using pulp paper to clean our rear ends.

That's what killed the sears catalogue. I can't even read a magazine in the BR anymore. Playboy makes me go online to find out what the 21st question is.

---------

I strongly urge people to avoid my posts. Sometimes people can't tell wheat from the chaff.

jennielynn1970
07-15-2008, 07:55 PM
We had a great diner in the town where I grew up in PA. I think it's still there.

Where did you grow up in PA??

shepgirl
07-15-2008, 08:34 PM
Not a big coffeedrinker so it won't affect me, but I always preferred the small cafes which offer a bit more in the way of hospitality. Cozier for chats also.

Catty1
07-15-2008, 09:24 PM
I like the smaller ones...here they are busy, so you don't get stale coffee.

Ironically - if some of the mom and pop cafes got busier, the coffee would be fresher. Egg and chicken...

dukedogsmom
07-15-2008, 09:39 PM
That's what killed the sears catalogue. I can't even read a magazine in the BR anymore. Playboy makes me go online to find out what the 21st question is.

That made me laugh. Love your humor (and sarcasm)

I like the smaller ones...here they are busy, so you don't get stale coffee.
Ironically - if some of the mom and pop cafes got busier, the coffee would be fresher. Egg and chicken...
I think you're beating a dead horse. Whatever is best is what I go for. Small or big business. Our local coffee shop sucks, as stated earlier. I'm glad you have a good local one. Some of us don't.

Catty1
07-15-2008, 10:40 PM
Val, I was thinking more of the post where the poster said there were some small places - and the problem was that later in the day the coffee was OLD, because the morning rush came and went. There is no way to make those places busier all day long so they would have to keep brewing fresh...it was a wishful thinking thought.

Actually - we have about 5 local coffee places; they are non-franchise.

And one Starbuck's, and one Tim Horton's.

RICHARD
07-15-2008, 11:36 PM
That made me laugh. Love your humor (and sarcasm)

Am not.:p

I deplore any moron who....

Makes me part of their convo while I stand in line.
Makes me wait on them because they are too involved with their cell, blackberry etc.
Take up tables at eateries because they are surfing the net.
HAVE TO ANSWER THE PHONE ON FIRST RING WHILE EATING.

Here in Cah Lee Fuh nee AH, you drive by any coffee establishment and all the latest electric toys are on display....LOOK AT ME! My phone takes and shows pictures!

A rolled up newspaper is just as handy.

GPS? Read the banner, you know what city you are in.
Travel planner? Use it to flag a taxi.
News? Read it!
Stock quotes-check the Dow in the back!
Sports, advice and humor. (Dear Abby and the comics.)
Shade, a fly swatter, and kindling for a fire-
Roll it up as a baton and it's a self defense weapon,
Toilet paper? Note pad, seat cushion and dry spot to sit on in the rain.
and if you are homeless you can use it as insulation.

Now, tell me that a 300 dollar phone beats a 50 cent roll of wood pulp.

I bet an iphone would be pretty useless in a potty when you have no TP....:eek:

Dance monkey, Dance!!!!

RICHARD
07-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Robber returns for coffee

A man was arrested for robbing a Starbucks - when he returned two days later for a coffee.

The 42-year-old was wearing the same yellow gloves, red backpack and wire-rimmed glasses he allegedly wore during the robbery.

He fled after he was spotted by a detective who was in the shop quizzing staff about the raid in Boulder, Colorado.

The suspect quickly turned around and walked out of the shop but Detective Kurt Foster gave chase, caught him and pulled him to the ground.

The man is thought to have been responsible for a number of robberies over the same weekend.

He was taken into custody on suspicion of several charges, unrelated to the robberies, including obstruction, resisting arrest and a parole violation.

------
Another reason I don't drink coffee, it attracts criminals.:rolleyes::confused:

CountryWolf07
07-16-2008, 01:18 PM
Robber returns for coffee

A man was arrested for robbing a Starbucks - when he returned two days later for a coffee.

The 42-year-old was wearing the same yellow gloves, red backpack and wire-rimmed glasses he allegedly wore during the robbery.

He fled after he was spotted by a detective who was in the shop quizzing staff about the raid in Boulder, Colorado.

The suspect quickly turned around and walked out of the shop but Detective Kurt Foster gave chase, caught him and pulled him to the ground.

The man is thought to have been responsible for a number of robberies over the same weekend.

He was taken into custody on suspicion of several charges, unrelated to the robberies, including obstruction, resisting arrest and a parole violation.

------
Another reason I don't drink coffee, it attracts criminals.:rolleyes::confused:

Is this for real? Wow.

shepgirl
07-16-2008, 09:08 PM
Catty 1 are you serious..you only have one Timmie's? Can't turn a corner here without seeing a Timmie's? And they are all busy at all times of the day 24/7. I can't believe only 1 Timmie's...where in heck are you anyway...lol?

Medusa
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
Where did you grow up in PA??

McKeesport, which is about 40 min. south of Pittsburgh.

CathyBogart
07-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Psst...their mint chocolate chip frappucino is like a junior mint in liquid form. TASTY!