PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Books about/with Dogs/Cats/Animals?

Katelf
07-07-2008, 04:47 PM
Hi,
I hope this is okay to post here. I'm wondering what books other folks are reading that are dog/cat/pet related.

I have recently finished Marley and Me, and I loved it!

One of my fave books as a child was That Quail Robert!

Any others that are notable? :D

Freedom
07-07-2008, 05:48 PM
Books with Animals:

I love the books by Rita Mae Brown. She writes 2 series. The Mrs. Murphy series are co-authored with her cat, Sneaky Pie Brown. (Mrs. Murphy is a cat.) Her second series, with Sister Jane, are about American fox hounds and hunting (the fox is not killed in the American version, only in the British version, and that has changed in recent years). In both series, the animals talk, converse with each other, and have some amazing insights into human behaviors. I started with Hot Spur, that is still my fave! BTW, these are murder mysteries; but not gory.

The books by Susan Conant are also fantastic. Holly Winter lives in Cambridge Mass, is a dog owner and dog lover, comes from a long line of dog folks; and gets involved in the most bizarre mysteries. Who knew dog obedience class could be so tumultuous?

Finally, I love The Warrior series, about feral cats. Although written as an adventure series for teens, they are well written, and so much fun! Author Erin Hunter is actually 3 women who alternate writing the books.

Guess that's it for now.

caseysmom
07-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I just ordered "tell me where it hurts" I got it in the mail but I am saving it for reading while I am on vacation.

Suki Wingy
07-07-2008, 10:31 PM
My #1 favorite book with an animal as the main character is J.R. Ackerley's book My Dog Tulip.

My Dog Tulip is the ultimate bitch session--in the canine sense of the phrase, of course. In 1947, J.R. Ackerley rescued an 18-month-old German shepherd, and from the start her every look and move were to undo him. "Tulip never let me down. She is nothing if not consistent. She knows where to draw the line, and it is always in the same place, a circle around us both. Indeed, she is a good girl, but--and this is the point--she would not care for it to be generally known." As he anatomizes her from head to toe with the awe-struck precision of a medieval courtier, Ackerley instantly turns us into Tulipomanes. Alas, many of the mere mortals she encounters feel differently, for there are indeed two Tulips. One is highly strung but heroic, flirtatious but true. The other is a four-legged rejoinder to authority: a biter, a barker, and a dab hand at defecating her way around London. Not that any of these are her fault. "You're the trouble," Tulip's one good vet tells Ackerley as she banishes him from the surgery. "She's in love with you, that's obvious. And so life's full of worries for her."
Just a warning, Ackerley is, by today's standards, a very irresponsible dog owner. There is a purposeful mixed breed litter and he refuses to spay her, but for some reason I still love the book.

Emeraldgreen
07-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Right now I'm reading the most amazing book! It's called 'ANIMALS IN TRANSLATION' and it's co-written by an autistic woman named Temple Grandin and is about her life with animals. It's incredible. She has also written a book called 'THINKING IN PICTURES' which I'd like to read as well.
To give you an idea about the book's content, the back reads:
People with autism can often think the way animals think, which puts them in the perfect position to translate "animal talk." In this groundbreaking book, Temple Grandin draws on her own experiences with autism as well as her distinguished career as an animal scientist to deliver an extraordinary message about how animals think, act, and feel. Funny, informative, and full of incredible insight, Animals in Translation will forever change the way we look at our fellow creatures.

I think I'm going to get off line and go and read! LOL :)

Pawsitive Thinking
07-08-2008, 04:34 AM
Marley and Me is my current favourite but as a girl it was the Phantom Horse series

pitc9
07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
I don't read much, but the last book I did was Marley and Me and I bawled like a BABY!!! :o

I loved the book and I'm still trying to decide if I'll go see the movie when it comes out. I don't want to bawl my eyes out at a movie theater! Maybe I'll just wait till it comes out on DVD.

boomersooner
07-08-2008, 12:19 PM
I never could read dog or horse stories when I was a kid because the dog or the horse always died!!!! I'm about the same way as an adult.....I only read a little bit of Marley and Me, and I bawled liked my best friend died!

Suki Wingy
07-08-2008, 01:38 PM
I've never read Marley and Me because I thought I wouldn't like it, but I guess I'll have to see now. I did read a book that was raved about about a woman who raised guide dog puppies, and I hated it.

Katelf
07-08-2008, 01:41 PM
Marley and Me is worth the read, a brilliant book, in my opinion. Very moving.

I just took John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley from the library because when I was walking Bodea a person we met recommended it because "Charley" is a standard poodle too.

I'm looking forward to the read :)