PDA

View Full Version : Firefox and Norton Security question

Freedom
07-07-2008, 08:08 AM
My Norton security was due to expire, so I bought the Norton 360. Installed it yesterday.

In the past, I have used the drop down arrow in the address field to get around in the places I frequent: Pet Talk, 3 other forums, photobucket, maybe one or two other things. Well, all that was wiped out with the new install.

OK, fine, so I went through and got them all set up again.

Now this morning, they are GONE again!!! Ugh!

I use Firefox for a browser. Any ideas if I can get thihs set up the way I want it, and how I would go about doing that?

Catlady711
07-07-2008, 11:53 AM
I don't use Firefox so I can't help you out much with that part, but I do have Norton 360 and I hate it. I liked Norton so much better when you could have the firewall separate from the antivirus, not so much of this integrated stuff.

Is it giving you any messages when you're trying to access the pages? Sometimes it will give you a box to allow or block certain web pages, if you just click 'allow always' it should stay in the program and not keep bugging you.

Freedom
07-07-2008, 05:51 PM
Hmm, I haven't had that thus far. Just the one issue I mentioned above.

It works fine on my desk top. On my laptop, it has slowed the whole thing down a LOT.

Catlady711
07-07-2008, 06:03 PM
With Norton 360 if you have the 'authenticate websites' enabled it can slow down high speed internet to a crawl that's slower than the worst dial up known to man. Check to see if you have that enabled, if you do, disable it and things should speed up considerably.

Jessika
07-07-2008, 06:04 PM
Hmm... check your settings on Norton to make sure it isn't clearing out your recently browsed history your internet history, as that may be the culprit.

However for me, I just click and drag the Pet Talk icon to my toolbar and the icon is on my actual toolbar below the address field and I just click on that to visit pet talk :)

Catty1
07-07-2008, 07:22 PM
As Norton versions "progress", it begins to act more like a virus itself. Trend makes a really good product for viruses, spyware, etc.

I just use AVG right now - the newer version has a spyware scan also (though I still use Spybot Search and Destroy).

Anyway - JMO - I don't trust Norton and won't use it. Hope you get your troubles figured out!

G535
07-08-2008, 12:22 AM
So many in the IT industry don't/won't use Norton, there must be some message there.

Freedom
07-08-2008, 07:50 AM
I found this and it solved my problem.
http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Configuring+Norton+360

This gives 3 things to help make Firefox work properly. Anyone using Firefox should do step 1 for sure! Step 3 was my issue. Step 2 did not apply in my case.

Next, I want to go see about the speed thing Catlady mentioned; Thanks!

ACK! I can't find the darn setting. Geesh.

Catlady711
07-08-2008, 11:24 AM
Next, I want to go see about the speed thing Catlady mentioned; Thanks!

ACK! I can't find the darn setting. Geesh.

Check your PM's