PDA

View Full Version : Silly Squirrel...pics

Glacier
07-06-2008, 09:38 PM
This little fella spent the afternoon in my yard.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/squirrel.jpg
Putting himself in grave danger, but providing hours of entertainment for the huskies! Prey driven, no, not my dogs!:rolleyes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v38/Glacier1998/Scenery08/squirrell2.jpg
He did escape to safety or at least the other side of the fence while I distracted the dogs with dinner!

boomersooner
07-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Isn't he cute! I know people who have gotten squirrels in their attics don't think they are so cute, but this one is precious!! We have some smart squirrels at our house...They seem to know that Boomer is young and inexperienced in chasing them, and that Cassie is old and just can't move as fast anymore (although at 14, she'll still give chase!) so they just sit and eat their nuts within a very short distance of the dogs. I bet he entertained your dogs all day! Thanks for sharing!

Laura's Babies
07-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Those pictures are AWESOME!! How in the world did you get such great pictures of that cute thing? Isn't it adoreable!?

jesse_3
07-06-2008, 11:04 PM
Aww! He is a real cutie. Our squirrels sit in front of our window watching the dogs and cats paw at them!!

krazyaboutkatz
07-07-2008, 12:20 AM
He/she sure is adorable.:) Just today a squirrel ran out in front of me and gave me a good scare. I was walking into my building using the side entrance and a squirrel jumped out of the ivy and ran right in front of me. It's tail wasn't very bushy so at first I wasn't even sure that it was a squirrel but that's the only kind of animal that it looked like to me because it was too big to be a chipmunk.

Pawsitive Thinking
07-07-2008, 08:12 AM
I love squiggles! The ones in our local park are so tame you can hand feed them

Donnaj4962
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
WOW! What great pictures! Sounds like one brave squirrel considering the many dogs in your yard! :eek:

MoonandBean
07-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Great pics and nice camera! My shots are never that clear.

4 Dog Mother
07-07-2008, 09:08 AM
My parents had a squirrel in their back yard that used to love to tease the dogs when we took them there. It would stay high enough in the tree that they could not get it but would "chee, chee, chee" at them to get their attention. Then when the dog would come to the tree, he would run up higher teasing all the way. One of the times we took Dazzi and no matter what the squirrel did, Dazzi ignored it. The squirrel would come almost all the way to the ground trying to get Dazzi's attention - she would still ignor it - the more Dazzi ignored the squirrel, the braver and noiser the squirrel got. Dazzi never did go after him so he finally gave up and went away!

Awesome pictures of the squirrel. Great camera and great photographer!

finn's mom
07-07-2008, 10:41 AM
Oh, he's really cute. Looks tiny! Squirrels can be pretty brave, I saw one in a cheetah enclosure at the zoo once. He escaped, too! :)

cassiesmom
07-07-2008, 12:19 PM
Glacier, what a cutie! Looks just like a Beanie Baby to me :)

Glacier
07-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Oh, he's really cute. Looks tiny! Squirrels can be pretty brave, I saw one in a cheetah enclosure at the zoo once. He escaped, too! :)

He was small. I think he was probably just a young one. He better get smarter or he won't make it to be an old one!

Brave or dumb...it's a fine line sometimes!;)

finn's mom
07-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Brave or dumb...it's a fine line sometimes!;)

hahaha, I was thinking the same thing!

CathyBogart
07-07-2008, 02:34 PM
What a cutie!

lizbud
07-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Grest pictures. :) He's a very healthy looking little guy. My girl Maggie
is the only squirrel crazy dog around here. Not even food will tempt her
away once she spots them up on the electric wires in the back of our
yard. She barks till they leave.

Suki Wingy
07-07-2008, 10:44 PM
A fox squirrel! He sure is cute. We don't have those around here, only grey squirrels.

Maya & Inka's mommy
07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
Awwww how cute!!! We don't have this type of squirrels here; here they are brownish red, live in the woods and are extremely shy.
I met this grey squirrels when we were living in America; most people there did NOT like them, but I thought they were absolutely adorable!!

Glacier
07-08-2008, 09:09 PM
Awwww how cute!!! We don't have this type of squirrels here; here they are brownish red, live in the woods and are extremely shy.
I met this grey squirrels when we were living in America; most people there did NOT like them, but I thought they were absolutely adorable!!

We have several types of squirrels around here. I think Suki was right and that little guy was a fox squirrel. We have red squirrels too and a few types of ground squirrels. There's nothing shy about any of them, but the tree dwellers are the cheekiest!

Lots of people around here don't like them either. They can be highly destructive. They rip up insulation, chew leather, ect. I used to have several squirrel feeders around until my neighbor told me that he was trapping the same squirrels I was feeding. They were destroying his riding equipment. They are considered vermin rodents legally and you can trap them just like a mouse. I think they are amusing little critters, cheap entertainment for me and the critters!

Freedom
07-09-2008, 07:35 AM
cheap entertainment for me and the critters!

Yeah, but makes the critters so noisy! We have one who loves to sit on the back fence and chatter at the dogs. The dogs go wil, barking, yelping, jumping. Squirrel has learned he is safe sitting up there, so I have to get the pups in. :rolleyes:

sasvermont
07-09-2008, 07:43 AM
And your subject matter is tops too! I love your doggie and kitty photos best.

I don't dislike squirrels, but don't make an effort to feed them. We don't have toooooo many around here because we have so many foxes and fisher cats. I have never seen a fisher cat, but I am told they will take down just about anything their size and a bit bigger. Right now we have a couple of red squirrels hanging around. Boy are they fast. Lucy, my black kitty, isn't fast enough to get them....she just looks in amazement. The chipmunks are another story. They usually end up smashed on the road, as they spend most of their day running back and forth..... Lucy just watches them now, too. Maybe it has dawned on Lucy that they are way, way too fast for her!

I think of yard animals as temporary, including bunnies. They just don't have mother nature on their side. So many predators and hazards in store for them. Some folks eat squirrel. I know, ewwwwwwwwwwwwww. To each his own.

Thanks for taking such wonderful photos. You and a handful of others here, take such terrific shots. I always open your posts, hoping for more photos .... and do the same for the other photographers here, too!

:cool::cool::cool::):):)