PDA

View Full Version : Cat food

Marigold2
07-05-2008, 11:01 AM
For several years now Boscoe and Jake have been eating CD Formula Cat food. Boscoe had surgery for bladder stones about 7 years ago and at that time the vet recommanded this food. I just went to pick up another bag and the price (no surprise) has gone up again to $55.00 for a 20 lb bag. :eek::eek::eek::eek: This is really cutting into my grocery bill. Does any one else use this food or have experience with bladder stones in cats?
I was thinking of maybe mixing the food half and half with another brand.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Randi
07-05-2008, 11:37 AM
I've been feeding Fister the same food for years, and Hills S/D, W/D mixed. Now I'm trying S/O from Royal Canin. They're all expensive foods, but in the long run Boscoe - and you are better off, because he'll stay healthier. :) Sometimes I give him other dry foods as treats - he can't block up anymore but still develop crystals. Fister also had the big operation.

columbine
07-05-2008, 01:47 PM
The price of everything is going up - including vet visits (and the gas to get there!) Think of it as a kind of insurance, a way of saving money on veterinary care in the future.

Love, Columbine (whose Smudge's life may have been saved by C/D - and he still prefers it to canned food!)

Laura's Babies
07-05-2008, 02:19 PM
:eek: WOW!! But a 20 # bag lasts my 4 for at least a month so I can't complain to loudly about the price...

Boo is suppose to be on the ZD of that brand but she just will NOT touch it. She does seem to be doing alright on the regular Science Diet. I see no good in a speciality food if they refuse to eat it so I let her eat with the rest of them.

catmandu
07-05-2008, 03:42 PM
I HAVE FOUND TAHT TOO, THAT ANY OF THE PREMIUM FOODS , SCINCE DIET, NUTRO ETC ARE AT LEAST 40 DOLLARS WITH TAX FOR A 20 POUND BAG, AND THERE ARE FEWER AND FEWER DEALS.
BUT FOR THOSE OF US WHO LOVE THIER CATS, ITS WORTH IT TO FEED THEM A QUALITY DIET!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/th_68a70042.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v621/catmandu/?action=view&current=68a70042.pbr)

krazyaboutkatz
07-05-2008, 06:16 PM
My Storm used to be on Royal Canin Urinary S/O because he had crystal problems and he had to have the PU surgery because he become blocked and diet alone wasn't helping him. I also started feeding this to the all of my cats.

Now I'm feeding all of my cats Innova Evo which is a grain free food because two of my cats are allergic to grains. Storm can also eat this as long as I give him plenty of canned food with extra water mixed in it. He's been fine and loves his new food.:) It is expensive but since it's a high protein food without any fillers, my cats don't need to eat as much of it so one bag lasts a long time. I also feed all of them the Innova Evo canned food too.:)

I really don't know which foods would be good for a cat with bladder stones but I'm sure that there are other brands that you can try. Some of the holistic foods may also help. Good luck.:)

Catty1
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
Ask your vet what other foods would be good for the stones, if any. There may be some that are a little better priced. However, I weigh my cost against what it cost me for a month when Oscar had a urinary infection (and VERY few crystals - they vanished the first week he was on the changed food).

In my case, I have both Oscar and Cole on Medi-Cal Dental. it keeps their teeth clean, is a good *ahem* weight-loss food, and my vet had read recent studies that said this formula also prevented crystals.

Depending on what kind of stones Boscoe had, there might be another food he can eat.

Good luck!

Catlady711
07-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Hills just hiked all prices on all the prescription foods. Not just a teeny increase either. My boss is so ticked off about it he's going start switching our prescription diets mostly over to Royal Canin which has only had slight increases in price in the last 3 years.