PDA

View Full Version : I was a little humiliated...

Cookiebaker
07-05-2008, 09:27 AM
So yesterday, there was a Christian festival at a park in town, and we decided to go (which, by the way was amazing!) anyway, we had decided to take Malone along with us because dogs are welcome. But when we got there, the place was PACKED almost shoulder to shoulder, and we decided to leave him in the van because he doesn't handle it very well when there are tons of people milling around. A couple of things though:

1. He had a huge bowl of ice water
2. We left the ignition running with the fan on
3. The windows were open
4. the van was half in the shade (it was 80 degrees out)
5. I kept checking back on him every 10-15 minutes to make sure he wasn't panting (which he wasn't)

I was heading back to find Mark after checking on him, and I observed some 'strange' behavior by 3 police officers. I wondered what was going on...they were radioing back/forth and writing stuff down. I found Mark, and we sat down to eat lunch in the shade, and we were directly facing the soundbooth. I looked up, and saw a cop conferring with the sound booth tech, and said to Mark (I had told him what I had observed) "huh! they are going to make an annoucement. Maybe we will find out what is going on?"

We about DIED when the announcement was "will Mark W**** please report to the sound booth immediately? Mark W***** to the sound booth"

Long story short, the cop had seen Malone in car and was concerned about him, because he didn't see the water bucket that was on the backseat floor. So we went and turned the AC on for him.

So, I felt a little humiliated at being called out like that, but I was thankful for the cop's concern for the welfare of my doggy. Better safe than sorry!!!!!!!

Ginger's Mom
07-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I am glad to hear that things turned out alright, and that you were keeping an eye on things. I actually think that they handled it pretty well, they could have just made the announcement, "could whoever left their dog in the car please come up front." Now that would have been embarrassing.

boomersooner
07-05-2008, 12:06 PM
Or they could have done nothing and some dog might really be in distress.....Even though I know it was embarrassing....I probably would have died from it....and Malone was fine with you checking on him every few minutes....at least they were concerned. Makes me feel good they were concerned for sweet Malone's welfare.

Karen
07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
It is nice that they were concerned, and even though they called out Mark's name, they didn't say why, so maybe folks thought he won a prize or something! ;) And now they know you are good, concerned dog owners as well.

Grace
07-05-2008, 01:28 PM
Hate to be the spoil sport here, but you should have been embarrassed.

Twice I have come across dogs in cars in parking lots; both times the owners showed up before I could call the police. Both times I asked them if they would have left their children in the car.

Enough said.

Cinder & Smoke
07-05-2008, 02:22 PM
... we decided to leave him in the van ...

1. He had a huge bowl of ice water
2. We left the ignition running with the fan on
3. The windows were open
4. the van was half in the shade (it was 80 degrees out)
5. I kept checking back on him every 10-15 minutes ...

I found Mark, and we sat down to eat lunch in the shade ...

Better safe than sorry!!!!!!!

I dunno ... but all things considered ...
I have to think Malone might have been a Happier (and Safer) Kampur
if he'd stayed Home.

Breathing in 80 degree air doesn't offer very much cooling power.

I collect some pretty UN-happie *glares* ( :mad: )from Klipp & Klopp when they get
told they'd better *wait here* whilst I hop in the Bus and zip off on errands;
but I don't have to *worry* about them doing a melt-down in the Bus
while I'm ditty-boppin around in Wally's air conditioned emporium.

;)

Rachel
07-05-2008, 07:07 PM
I agree with Phred. You really don't realize just how hot these vehicles can get regardless of cracked window, bowls of water, etc. I once had a dog in the car and the temperature was not hot at all outside (more like warm) but the sun was shining. I decided to stay with her instead of going into the store with my husband. It wasn't more than a few minutes before I was extremely uncomfortable and had to open the windows wide and even the doors. I'll never forget that close call and basically I don't take my dogs with me if we would need to stop and leave them in the car during any of the warm months.

If you left the windows wide open, Malone could have escaped or someone could have entered the vehicle and removed him. I'm glad you relayed this story because it shows how easy it is to make a mistake with a precious family member.

Cookiebaker
07-05-2008, 07:36 PM
I'm sorry but I feel the need to defend myself here and my actions. Maybe what you didn't catch in my original post was that I WAS responsible. I checked on Malone on THREE separate occasions all within a little less than 45 minutes. He was NOT even panting. In fact, he was laying down and sleeping, the essence of a happy comfortable pup. It was COMFORTABLE in the van. I SAT in there WITH HIM for several minutes. I would NEVER put my dog at risk. Yes, it was 80 degrees out, but the wind was cold, and I was comfortable in short sleeves and a sweater...this IS New England after all.

Please don't make me look like a bad doggy parent for taking my dog with me. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Jessika
07-05-2008, 08:09 PM
If I had been in the same situation, I probably would have either left to go back home or at least dropped the dog off.

I think the cops handled it well though, considering it probably could have been more embarrassing as someone had mentioned if they'd have been like "Will the owner of a [VEHICLE] with their dog inside please come to the booth" or whatever, you know? Well... idk I guess it seems more embarrassing since they used your name, but I'm pretty sure most of the people there would have known your name to put it to your face to think "omg those are the people that were called over the loud speaker to go to the booth!!" ;)

How long were you at the festival?

EDIT: I left my car on with the fan running once while I was at school for kennel on a weekend and had Jamie with me.... went to check on her after 30 or so minutes to find the car was blowing hot air and my car battery had died :(

Kfamr
07-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I have faith that Anna and Mark would never have done anything that would have caused harm to Malone. None of us were there, and Anna, who has always been a responsible dog owner here, is telling us that Malone was just fine.

Eesh.

shepgirl
07-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Sounds like the dog was pretty comfy to me. Ice water, fan running with open windows. If the dog would have been distressed it would have been panting and drooling and not sound asleep.
Glad you have vigilant cops around though , some people might not have had water and running fan for their dogs. I think they handled everything well, no need for embarassment.

Grace
07-05-2008, 10:53 PM
I have faith that Anna and Mark would never have done anything that would have caused harm to Malone. None of us were there, and Anna, who has always been a responsible dog owner here, is telling us that Malone was just fine.

Malone is fine - so why was this topic posted in the first place? Cookiebaker said herself that she was humiliated by the presence of the police. Why - if she felt she had done nothing wrong?

She had to know that some of us would disagree - someone almost always disagrees on this board :)

It is against the law in Poughkeepsie, New York, and Joliet, Illinois, and Pennsylvania and California.

caseysmom
07-06-2008, 10:14 AM
Malone is fine - so why was this topic posted in the first place? Cookiebaker said herself that she was humiliated by the presence of the police. Why - if she felt she had done nothing wrong?

She had to know that some of us would disagree - someone almost always disagrees on this board :)

It is against the law in Poughkeepsie, New York, and Joliet, Illinois, and Pennsylvania and California.

She posted because we are her friends and know her whereas the cops didn't...

{{{hugs cookiebaker}}

Kfamr
07-07-2008, 01:43 PM

Because once upon a time the members of this forum were like a family and a bit more understanding and comforting than what is being displayed in this thread.

Apparently so, it's not always like that anymore.

BC_MoM
07-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Because once upon a time the members of this forum were like a family and a bit more understanding and comforting than what is being displayed in this thread.

I have to agree.

Quite honestly, I laughed when I read Anna's post! I found it pretty funny.

I think people may just be overreacting a little bit. Anna is a responsible person, and I could never see her leaving Malone in a bad situation.

Miss Z
07-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Please don't make me look like a bad doggy parent for taking my dog with me. Thank you. http://petoftheday.com/i/our_smilies/rolleyes.gif

I'm a bit surprised by the rather vehement repsonses to those voicing their concerns. No-one was being deliberately rude or hateful. The topic of leaving dogs in cars is highly controversial, and as Grace says, everyone should be aware that some Pet Talkers will disagree with the action that was taken.

I do not doubt Cookiebaker is a very responsible dog owner and Malone was fine. I'm glad the situation was resolved and that the police were doing their job well.

MoonandBean
07-07-2008, 02:23 PM
In this case, it is obvious that Malone has great parents and his well-being was clearly saw to.

I just find it comforting to know that where you live, the police WOULD get involved if they saw a dog left in a car in the summer had it NOT been a safe place for the dog. I often see people leave their dogs in the car to "run in" the store and I end up waiting around to make sure the dog is ok...I've yet to have to break a window but don't count me out :)

shais_mom
07-07-2008, 03:47 PM

I dunno, I disagree. B/c people have been arguing on this forum since I joined. About one thing or the other.
I think dogs in cars is a hot topic just like declawing cats. I take Keegan with me a LOT and always make sure she has ice water. She is a hot dog, she is always panting, once spring starts I don't think she stops panting until November. To see her in the back of a car with all the precautions taken that Anna did she would still be panting and someone would think she is in distress when she isn't. I've left her in the car before with the windows up and the AC on full blast and she was fine. The other day at the pawsfest, I had to go to the bathroom, and no one was there to hold her, and the stalls at the park are too small for her to be in there with me, so I gave her some water, left the window down and ran to the bathroom. Granted it wasn't hot that day, and in the wind it was down right chilly to my skin. She was fine.
I see Anna's point and I see Grace's point. Malone wasn't in distress, but it is good that the police were involved, it wasn't too many years ago that a police dog died, b/c his handler did exactly what I did, left him in the car with the AC on.
Sometimes, as pet owner's we are d**ned if we do and d**ned if we don't. You shouldn't have your pet in the car in the summer time when its hot, you shouldn't have it in the car in the winter time when its too cold, so what are you supposed to do??

And quite frankly, if someone else's dog is saved from dying a horrible death in a hot car b/c Anna and Mark were called on the carpet at a festival, then the embarrassment was entirely worth it, and I'm sure that Anna would agree.

Pam
07-07-2008, 03:58 PM
(((Hugs))) to you Anna. All of us here know you so well and know that you would NEVER put Malone in a dangerous situation. I guess the positive way to look at this particular situation is that a cop was "on the ball" in trying to find Malone's owner, although if he had consulted Pet Talk first he would have known beyond a shadow of a doubt that Malone was in excellent care. ;) ;)

Grace, I think Anna just wanted us all to learn from her situation. Not everyone knows that we are all responsible pet owners and I am happy there are those out there looking for pets in trouble. Of course Malone was not one of them. Let's hope that every time a dog is found in a car on a summer day that there is someone there to notice and get help if needed.

boomersooner
07-07-2008, 04:00 PM
Bottom line.....Malone is fine....his owners would never do anything to purposely put him in harm...they love him too much for that.....glad the police did care to be concerned for his welfare....I think some of this is situational, too. Here in Dallas, it is always so hot in the summer, I couldn't do what someone in a cooler environment might be able to do. (and I know it gets hot in the northeast, but the chances of having a cooler day are more than the chances here) I've lived here all of my life so I'm not of the mindset to ever leave one of my dogs in a car just because it is too hot. I think good judgment and common sense are always needed every minute of the day for our children, our pets, and ourselves. Malone you are a sweetheart!!

Ginger's Mom
07-08-2008, 06:01 AM
If the owner knew the dog could not get out of the car at whatever event then why take the dog? I am NOT attacking the person who started this just asking a simple question.

If you had read through the initial post you wouldn't have needed to ask this question and give the appearance of "attacking" the OP. She indicated that their intention when they took Malone with them was to take him out of the van and into the festival with them. However, when they got there they found that it was too crowded for her to feel comfortable doing that.

Lady's Human
07-08-2008, 07:01 AM
This argument has been had so many times on this board I'm surprised someone hasn't searched the forums and bumped up old discussions on this topic.

1) It's not against the law everywhere, so the "it's against the law" argument doesn't necessarily fly.

2) The pupper in question was fine, the owner(s) were a little embarrassed, but that's all the damage that was done.

Stop being so ********** judgmental about situations like this, and realize that there are individual circumstances which apply in every case.

Funny, as others have said, this used to be a place for lighthearted discussion about pets, (with the exception of the dog house), which is why many of us are here. Check the attitudes.

boomersooner
07-08-2008, 09:02 AM
2) The pupper in question was fine, the owner(s) were a little embarrassed, but that's all the damage that was done.

.... realize that there are individual circumstances which apply in every case.

Thanks Lady's Human....this was what I was trying to say in my post....!!

I'm very new to PetTalk, but I have to say, I LOVE the lighthearted topics of our dogs playing, new acquisitions, celebrations, etc.

sasvermont
07-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, of all the folks here, I think Anna is the one person who would NOT put her pup in harms way. I am glad the police were on top of things. What the police DIDN'T know was that Mark and Anna were nearby and that they were not planning on spending the day away from Malone, etc. etc. etc.

This might just be a little lesson for all of us. I have left a dog in the car with the a/c running. But what if the car stalled? Well, I was in the grocery store, buying dog food, so was gone for only about 10 minutes. It seemed reasonable to me. I was dog sitting in an emergency situation and didn't even get food with dog.....

I get it that the general public is much more on top of the car/heat/animals and children issue and would report the car ... that is good. It will save many lives, for sure but it will also "report" some people who's doggies are safe, sound and watered!

I watched a couple leave two dogs in a car, in the spring, in the shade, windows cracked....... but I still said something to them....for the dog's sake. The couple was a bit put out about my commenting, but I just didn't know and could not be sure they were being careful enough...... How was I to know their plans? I just saw two dogs locked in a car!

I am glad Malone is fine.... I just know Anna and Mark would never let anything horrible happen to Malone. He is their fur-child.

Hugs to Anna.:love:

cyber-sibes
07-08-2008, 10:17 AM
The thing that impressed me & I want to comment on is how nicely the police handled their concern. They didn't try to embarrass anyone, they didn't lecture, they didn't just take the dog, and as far as I can tell, they didn't hand anyone a ticket. I think it's great that everyone had Malone's welfare in mind. Seriously, I'm sure if Anna had any concern that this would have put Malone in danger, she would have made different choices. And I think most of us here (me included) have run into similar situations. No harm done.
Anna & Mark, I hope you had a great day!:D

lizbud
07-08-2008, 04:51 PM
In defense of the posts that showed a lot of concern about leaving
Malone alone in the car,they were legitiment concerns and well meaning.:)

I too would be greatly embarrased if I had to be singled out by the cops
over treatment of my dog.

I probably would have left the event if my pup couldn't be with me outside.:(

p.s. I did take both pups with me in the car to drop off some mail in the
drop box. I went straight back home after. They were going through
"withdraws"( with all the hot weather we've had, they never get to go):)

PS. Kudos to the cops for doing their duty.