PDA

View Full Version : SPCA Volunteer training

Aspen and Misty
09-01-2002, 10:44 PM
I am going to go to scpa Volunteer training next saturday! I am so exited! I will finally be able to help otu down there! Although I know I will wanna take all the doggies home with me! LOL. I was wondering has anyone else gone threw this thraining before? I think it is only for a couple of hours on saturday. I can't wait! I am so exited!

Kfamr
09-02-2002, 12:36 AM
It used to be 14 where you could volunteer down herebut they changed ot to 16! How stupid is that?!! I know some 14 year olds that are way more mature then th 16 year olds that i know. [like me lol]

primabella
09-02-2002, 09:17 AM
over here you have to be 18. i really wanted to join until i heard that. :( good luck with the training, ash:)

Aspen and Misty
09-02-2002, 11:56 AM
They probly have it so high so that they know you have a ride over. Sorry you guys can join! We asked them in May what the age limit was and they said 14. So lets hope it hasn't changed!

Dogz
09-02-2002, 05:55 PM
I haven't heard of that, but it sounds like fun! Good Luck Ash!

DoggiesAreTheBest
09-02-2002, 06:22 PM
I went through the training about 2 years ago. It probably vaires from shelter to shelter. I recall the type and duration of the training depended on what you were going to be volunteering for.

I exercise the large dogs, help do obedience, pet education, and mini adoptions. I had to go be taught about the prodecure for taking the dogs out, sign them in and out, where the leashes and harnesses were. Also had to shadow the dog trainer to see how they were taught the commands, etc... Also had to learn more about promoting spay and neuter, how to detect cruelty to animals, teach kids how to be nice to animals. I also had to be taught how to do the screening and adoption paper process.

They also made me watch a movie on euthanasia. I bawled for hours.

Again, your training may be different. Good luck! I applaude your efforts in getting involved!

Aspen and Misty
09-02-2002, 08:44 PM
Thank you! I can't wiat. I will be posting what happned this saturday after it is all done and over. I hope I don't have to watch the movie. I think I would cry to. I can't wait now, Doggiesarebest, what you went through now has me so exited! I just really want to be involved in helping dogs find good homes, although when one gets put down I think I will cry :( or brign them home with me before that happnes :D lol.

Ash

lovemymaltese
09-03-2002, 01:46 PM
Cngratulations, that is great! So noble of you.